PDA

View Full Version : Todd Haley Press Conference today *Update*

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 09:52 AM
12pm EST. Here's the link, tuning in about one hour from now.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.steelers.com%2Fvideo-and-audio%2Fvideos%2FTodd-Haley-Live-PC---12pm-EST%2F9e0939e4-ac2c-49dd-b3f2-ce8b0e7943cd&h=0AQE2UwGTAQFVAa8wnuke0jgiUusS4N3SL5Z0WzerSX0pcg

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Todd-Haley-Live-PC---12pm-EST/9e0939e4-ac2c-49dd-b3f2-ce8b0e7943cd

Tomlin article:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/09/tomlin-were-extremely-excited-about-haley/

TRH
02-09-2012, 10:44 AM
I'll definitely be tuning in........i have the time today.

Drizztbob
02-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Same.

GMU Steeler
02-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Guess they're running a little late or my clock is fast because it still says live stream right now.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Tuning in now.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 11:09 AM
He say's 'Umm" a lot :chuckle:

GMU Steeler
02-09-2012, 11:11 AM
He really likes Heath Miller. Miller's definitely a guy I want to see have a bigger role in the offense.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 11:14 AM
He really likes Heath Miller. Miller's definitely a guy I want to see have a bigger role in the offense.

Agreed.

TRH
02-09-2012, 11:16 AM
I was waiting for a writer to ask about the "run game" and that didn't take long. He was immediately asked if he's going to put more empasis on the run game and his answer was "the emphasis is on WINNING".
So if we run alot to win, we do it. If we pass alot to win, we do it. He shut that down pretty quick.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 11:19 AM
I was waiting for a writer to ask about the "run game" and that didn't take long. He was immediately asked if he's going to put more empasis on the run game and his answer was "the emphasis is on WINNING".
So if we run alot to win, we do it. If we pass alot to win, we do it. He shut that down pretty quick.

Yeah that was shut down quick as hell

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 11:20 AM
This is more less just an introduction conference. Asking what he plans on doing altogether with a certain aspect of the game may be premature.

GMU Steeler
02-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Interesting, Cowher apparently offered him the WR coach job that Arians ended up getting.

JCPsteelers
02-09-2012, 11:25 AM

Yep. Most important statement of the PC.. :tt03:

stb_steeler
02-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Hes says he's been studying Heath.....Maybe a hint that he knows Miller needs to be more involved. I hope so, the TE plays have been missing alot out of our playbook.

GMU Steeler
02-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Hes says he's been studying Heath.....Maybe a hint that he knows Miller needs to be more involved. I hope so, the TE plays have been missing alot out of our playbook.

I hope so too. Using Heath in the Red Zone would increase our RZ efficiency. Could mean the difference between a FG and a TD and thus stress in the 4th quarter. We always make it too dramatic for comfort heh. But seriously, I really hope he does use Heath more. Heath's a talented guy.

TRH
02-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Yep. Hope so. That's how most of the elite QB's operate so well. Their OC's use the TE's in their game plans, further spreading the field and opening up slant plays.

Fire Arians
02-09-2012, 11:45 AM
I hope so too. Using Heath in the Red Zone would increase our RZ efficiency. Could mean the difference between a FG and a TD and thus stress in the 4th quarter. We always make it too dramatic for comfort heh. But seriously, I really hope he does use Heath more. Heath's a talented guy.

we've all been clamoring for that for years, all in vain, no thanks to arians. we'd pass to him UNTIL we hit the red zone, which makes no sense. 2 TD's in 2011 and 2010? that has to change. Todd haley is the guy to fix that, he loves using his TE's.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Well, the conference went well, I think. It'll be interesting to see how he utilizes Heath Miller come next season. Hopefully it's redzone utilization.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Added a new article to the main post.

Fire Arians
02-09-2012, 12:39 PM
He says he’s never “been a system” guy and will mold his offense to the talent of his players. Haley has evidence to back it up: He went from running a very pass-heavy offense in Arizona to a run-heavy offense in Kansas City.

This is why I like this hire, and my main beef against Arians. Bruce would try to impose his 'system' on the players, and not design it around his players' strengths. Haley on the other hand, seems to mold his offense around what he has. A lot of reasons to be excited about this upcoming season.

Not saying we'll be a top 5 offense overnight, but the days of stupid playcalling like mendenhall up the gut 4 times on the goal line (with the same telegraphed motion every time) has come to an end finally.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 12:42 PM
This is why I like this hire, and my main beef against Arians. Bruce would try to impose his 'system' on the players, and not design it around his players' strengths. Haley on the other hand, seems to mold his offense around what he has. A lot of reasons to be excited about this upcoming season.

I have a feeling Todd's going to expose our strengths this year and get every bit of talent out of these guys possible. I'm excited. Have a feeling our potential will be unveiled.

TRH
02-09-2012, 01:03 PM

Not saying we'll be a top 5 offense overnight, but the days of stupid playcalling like mendenhall up the gut 4 times on the goal line (with the same telegraphed motion every time) has come to an end finally.

well said...

stb_steeler
02-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Good point.....thats exactly how a good coach should approach it, instead of wanting to get rid of somebody because he cant figure it out.

madtowndrunkard
02-09-2012, 01:17 PM

This is the exact reason Haley was hired and Arians was fired. Arians is a system guy. Haley is much like Whiz... they build the system around the players they have. Then they implement the system on sunday based on strengths and weaknesses of the opponent. Arians was a system guy - period. He ran his system...he did not care who he was playing.

I think the proof of this is in the fact that we never had consistency on offense. My contention was the reason for this was because Arians insisted on playing the HR game. He ran our offense 100mph...even though the players we have do not fit that system. I always thought if we slowed things down - there would be less mistakes and MUCH more consistency.

Edman
02-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Arians was not a "system guy". That's giving him too much credit. A "System" is a something that has set pieces and a goal in place. The Arians Offense had no expectations or goals. It was just a matter of "do anything and hope it works". Arians thought of it as being "unpredictable" when all it was doing was making the Offense disjointed and sloppy. System Guys at least are intelligent enough to see when something was no longer working. Arians had no rhythm or flow to his offense. He was a Tortoise where the NFL offensive climate consisted of Rabbits.

Encouraging words to say the least. I don't expect a magical offense to spring up overnight, but I expect an offense that thinks and is capable of playing to their potential for once.

Steelerfreak58
02-09-2012, 03:53 PM
He said HEATH MILLER. Singling him out you know Bruce never used him enough. The man is finally going to hopefully get his due!

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 04:00 PM
He said HEATH MILLER. Singling him out you know Bruce never used him enough. The man is finally going to hopefully get his due!

Hopefully. God I hope so. That man can be a monster when used right.

StainlessStill
02-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Any video of this? I'm desperately wanting to watch this press conference. I can't express how pumped up I am with the direction of this hire. Judging from words, it looks like this is the most genuine spoken press conference in some time. I really do feel a sense of security that great things are on the way. Even Tomlin seems ready to go and was said to be "beaming with proud-ness" with his hire.

HERE WE GO!

stb_steeler
02-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Hope its not one of those deals where Miller becomes the the blocker and the other TE gets the reps....

stb_steeler
02-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Any video of this? I'm desperately wanting to watch this press conference. I can't express how pumped up I am with the direction of this hire. Judging from words, it looks like this is the most genuine spoken press conference in some time. I really do feel a sense of security that great things are on the way. Even Tomlin seems ready to go and was said to be "beaming with proud-ness" with his hire.

HERE WE GO!

Steelers.com

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 04:09 PM

HERE WE GO!

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Todd-Haley-Press-Conference/0efb5586-8fb3-415d-a5c5-4e7c40e9032c

Meant to quote you :doh:

rgj
02-09-2012, 04:11 PM
.....and Cory-Rawson Roethlisberger speaks:

"They're still the tip of the iceberg in this offense and they did as well as they did last year. And they're just getting to the point that 'OK, this makes sense to me.'

"That was my biggest talking point to Mike and those guys -- I would hate to just throw everything out and start over because I feel it would set us back two or three years because these guys are just starting to get it.

"I hope we don't have to start over and if we do, you know what, here we go. Let's do it. We'll do it. We're not going to complain about it. But I would hate to have to set certain guys back who are doing so well right now."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12040/1209184-100.stm#ixzz1lvQ5YH3E

Three times his majesty "doesn't want something." Get ready for the fireworks to begin.......stay tuned.....

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Warning: He's not the best public speaker, but all that matter's is he's our best chance to bring the best out of this offense. That's all that matters to me.

stb_steeler
02-09-2012, 04:12 PM
I like the way Tomlin made it sound as if it was him that made the decision. I thought it was Rooney?

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 04:13 PM

"They're still the tip of the iceberg in this offense and they did as well as they did last year. And they're just getting to the point that 'OK, this makes sense to me.'

"That was my biggest talking point to Mike and those guys -- I would hate to just throw everything out and start over because I feel it would set us back two or three years because these guys are just starting to get it.

"I hope we don't have to start over and if we do, you know what, here we go. Let's do it. We'll do it. We're not going to complain about it. But I would hate to have to set certain guys back who are doing so well right now."

Get ready for the fireworks to begin.......stay tuned.....

As far as i'm concerned, it's the press that's adding the fuel. Ben will be fine. He said it himself, "Let's do it. We'll do it.".

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I like the way Tomlin made it sound as if it was him that made the decision. I thought it was Rooney?

No one know's, and it'll likely stay that way.

stb_steeler
02-09-2012, 04:15 PM

Three times his majesty "doesn't want something." Get ready for the fireworks to begin.......stay tuned.....

Yeah i wouldnt read into to much of what the media has to say

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Exactly. Still sickens me how they tried to twist what he said in a pro-bowl interview. He was clearly optimistic about the process, yet the media made it look like he was in a rage. Ben just needs to shut it, that's about the best thing he could do. Regardless of his intentions, the media will find a way to make it look bad.

pittpete
02-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Hope its not one of those deals where Miller becomes the the blocker and the other TE gets the reps.
We dont have another TE:wink02:

Steel Peon
02-09-2012, 04:39 PM
He say's 'Umm" a lot :chuckle:
Yeah, and umm....so does, ummm......Tomlin. It's going to sound like an, umm....bee's nest if they both start talking at the same time.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Yeah, and umm....so does, ummm......Tomlin. It's going to sound like an, umm....bee's nest if they both start talking at the same time.

:applaudit:

FrancoLambert
02-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Ben will be OK. His feelings have been hurt, he lost a buddy.
He's not buying in fully to the change yet. But he will.
Once Haley improves the offense and brings out more of its potential, hurt feelings will disappear.
Maybe some of Haley's fire will rub off on Ben.
Winning cures all.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Once Haley improves the offense and brings out more of its potential, hurt feelings will disappear.
Winning cures all.

When you love the game as much as some of these guy's, it's hard to remember that it's a business. I'm sure it hurt losing his coordinator, but before long he'll understand. I'd just try not to by into what the media put's out, cause it's usually twisted.

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Exactly. Still sickens me how they tried to twist what he said in a pro-bowl interview. He was clearly optimistic about the process, yet the media made it look like he was in a rage. Ben just needs to shut it, that's about the best thing he could do. Regardless of his intentions, the media will find a way to make it look bad.

Ben seems to do a pretty good job of allowing that to happen every time he opens his mouth - you are less likely to have to say what you meant if you do not say it in the first place

How is this for a ringing endorsement of your new O-coordinator?

"I haven't talked to him," Roethlisberger said at the Steelers training facility where, 20 minutes later, Haley would be introduced at a press conference just down the hall as the team's new offensive coordinator.

"I've gotten a lot of calls and texts and emails from people around the league, both good and bad about him,'' Roethlisberger said during an interview with the Post-Gazette. "Everybody has an opinion, as we all know, and they're letting me know what their interaction with him was -- good, bad and indifferent. I've heard a lot of things and I'm looking forward to meeting him and forming my own opinion."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12040/1209184-100.stm#ixzz1lvQ5YH3E

Why not just say you are looking forward to talking with him rather than that you have heard some bad s**t about him:noidea:

Arians was smarter than I thought - by his sucking up to Ben and the local news media for the last 4 years you would think the Steelers fired the second coming of Bill Walsh

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Ben seems to do a pretty good job of allowing that to happen every time he opens his mouth - you are less likely to have to say what you meant if you do not say it in the first place

How is this for a ringing endorsement of your new O-coordinator?

"I haven't talked to him," Roethlisberger said at the Steelers training facility where, 20 minutes later, Haley would be introduced at a press conference just down the hall as the team's new offensive coordinator.

"I've gotten a lot of calls and texts and emails from people around the league, both good and bad about him,'' Roethlisberger said during an interview with the Post-Gazette. "Everybody has an opinion, as we all know, and they're letting me know what their interaction with him was -- good, bad and indifferent. I've heard a lot of things and I'm looking forward to meeting him and forming my own opinion."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12040/1209184-100.stm#ixzz1lvQ5YH3E

Why not just say you are looking forward to talking with him rather than that you have heard some bad s**t about him:noidea:

Arians was smarter than I thought - by his sucking up to Ben and the local news media for the last 4 years you would think the Steelers fired the second coming of Bill Walsh

Haley said the same thing, "Haven't talked to him". Sure, Ben could be salty, but maybe we're all just blowing thing's out of proportion? Ben's a human, he can say what he wants. He the franchise quarterback of this team. I do think thing's would be better if he didn't comment on such thing's, but i'm sure he'll meet with Haley soon and he'll be just fine and dandy.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 05:03 PM
The best thing he could do right now is shut it, as you said. Sometimes things seem worse on paper then they do in audio, and the media will make it seem worse with the best of there abilities, just to get a story.

GMU Steeler
02-09-2012, 05:06 PM
If Haley gets Ben playing to his best and closer to another SB which we know Ben wants, I am sure Ben will be fine. This is a business but it's also a business where friendships and stuff like that exists. I wasn't opposed at all to seeing BA go but remember BA is someone who had been here since Ben's rookie year. I am psyched to see what Haley has in mind though. He seems like a real student of the game. Don't know why the press is inflating Arians so much. Not like we lost one of the best OC's ever.

TRH
02-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Winning cures all.

It sounded to me like Ben was looking forward to meeting with him and talking with him. He never said he "wasn't buying into it". You guys are reading WAY too much into this...

GMU Steeler
02-09-2012, 05:10 PM
They'll all be on board

Yep. And also none of the young receivers: Sanders, Brown, or Wallace have SB rings yet. That's worth mentioning I think because you know those guys want to be part of Steelers championship lore. Can't wait for next year really.

tony hipchest
02-09-2012, 05:18 PM

hey ben, the only thing that set mike wallace back last season was arians and you. either that or he still wasnt getting it after 3 years.

if sanders and brown cant "get it" something is wrong with them as well. are you sure worry about a potential set back isnt with YOU?

unfortunately youre gonna have to study and learn some new tricks.

cam newton "got it" after a 2 months w/o mini camps. you can do it too.

hell all the non arians lovers didnt get bruces offense after 5 years. plus if you listen to the arians lovers it is all your players fault for not executing. you should be thankful and embrace the change.

tony hipchest
02-09-2012, 05:33 PM

James C Wexell@jimwexell

After five years of letting Bruce Arians write Post-Gazette copy, it's now Ben Roethlisberger's turn: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12040/1209184-100.stm Check the byline

:chuckle:

of course if you listen to all the arians lovers he was the FIRST coming of bill walsh, its just that his players were always incapable of executing his genius. :noidea:

we had to dumb it down for them by bringing in a yinzer.

:applaudit:

Millers the sh!t
02-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Agreed.

"Um"............. I agree too...