PDA

View Full Version : New England Patriots: Pittsburgh Steelers' Mike Wallace Is a Realistic Target

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2012, 07:08 PM
:doh:

Despite being a restricted free agent, Mike Wallace is nowhere near guaranteed to return to Pittsburgh as a Steelers (http://bleacherreport.com/pittsburgh-steelers) player next year. One alteration to free agency made by the relatively new Collective Bargaining Agreement is that teams can no longer put first- and third-round protections on their restricted free agents.
In the past, restricted free agency rarely ever allowed players to leave their original teams. The last big name to move as a restricted free agency was Wes Welker and even then the Miami Dolphins (http://bleacherreport.com/miami-dolphins) and Patriots agreed to a trade rather than go through the bidding process. Therefore he essentially didn't move as a restricted free agent.
The Dolphins undervalued Welker at the time as he hadn't played to the level that he has exhibited in New England since then. Mike Wallace in Pittsburgh is a completely different situation.
On first glance, it is more likely for Bill Belichick to start a reality TV series with Chad Ochocinco opposed to the team signing Wallace. However, when you dig deeper into the potential deal, it wouldn't be a surprise for Wallace to become the best deep threat in Boston since Randy Moss.
The Steelers at best can put a first-round tender on Wallace, which is what you would expect them to do. They do have the franchise tag available; however, their lack of cap space will prevent them from using it. With indications being that the Steelers are expected to be upwards of $20 million over the salary cap next season, it's unrealistic to expect them to work in a commitment of around $10 million for Wallace.
If the Patriots do decide to compete with the Steelers for Wallace's signature, they could easily outbid the Steelers early on. A restricted free agent's original team has 10 days to match any offer sheets that come in. If the Patriots get an early offer in, it could make Omar Khan's, the Steelers' cap manager, job very difficult while trying to manage a roster that needs a lot of work.
With the compensation being a first round pick, the Patriots would only be giving up their 31st overall selection in the 2012 draft for arguably an elite wide receiver. Considering that late round picks are no guarantees, and the team has an earlier first-round draft choice after last year's trade with the New Orleans Saints (http://bleacherreport.com/new-orleans-saints), losing that pick isn't a big deal.
More importantly than Wallace being considered an elite receiver, his skill set is perfect for the Patriots' offense.
Building an offense is never as simple as getting the best talent and putting it together to overwhelm other teams. In 2007, Tom Brady's best season, the Patriots' receiving corp perfectly complemented each other with Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth stretching the field for Wes Welker to move the chains.
Without a deep threat, it is easier for teams to shorten the field and flood Welker out of the equation. When safeties don't have to respect a deep threat, throwing windows become tighter and defenders are more likely to pick off passes.
If Wallace becomes a Patriots player, defenses will have to respect his deep threat or allow him to hit home runs on a regular basis. Wallace is one of the fastest—if not the fastest—players in the NFL (http://bleacherreport.com/nfl). Simply dropping a cornerback to play off coverage is never enough to contain him.
Some cornerbacks drop upwards of 12 yards deep and even then they generally get safety help over the top. Considering that Wallace can use his speed with the ball in his hands, that gives the Patriots the option of quick passes into the flat that can turn into massive gains.
Or, if they choose to still send Wallace deep, then the best slot receiver in the NFL gets even more space to work underneath the defense.
With Wallace on the outside, the Patriots' matchup offense would become uncontainable. The quartet of Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Welker and Wallace would ask too many different questions of defenses and require them to be consistent in all facets of play.
The Steelers' cap issues aren't the only thing working in the Patriots favor.
Outside of Wallace in Pittsburgh, the Steelers have a trio of talented receivers under contract entering next season, as well as Jerricho Cotchery hitting free agency. Veteran Hines Ward is looking to redo his contract and he will almost certainly return. Emmanuel Sanders is returning from injuries to both his feet that reduced his role this year. The Steelers have enough players with Antonio Brown to cover the loss of their main receiver.
The free agent pool of receivers this year for third and fourth choice options represents a lot of value as far as possession pass-catchers go. While the Patriots do need an elite receiver, the Steelers could still have a very talented group of receivers for Todd Haley without Wallace, and instead add someone like Eddie Royal or Cotchery for cheaper.
This would work against the Steelers when trying to retain Wallace because they wouldn't value him as highly as the Patriots would.
Wes Welker is very unlikely to leave the Patriots because he doesn't fit as well in any other offense in the NFL. Once he is signed, Mike Wallace is a legitimate option for the New England Patriots to pursue.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1055220-new-england-patriots-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-wallace-is-a-realistic-target

tanda10506
02-09-2012, 07:14 PM
First off if we lose Wallace we will be taking a step back, but if we lose him to the Pats we can just hang it up for a few years, let the Pats when a few championships, then get back at it when Brady retires. Hardly anybody can stop them now, we found out how, but with Wallace stretching the defense and drawing double teams down the field NOBODY will stop them, it will be like when they had Randy Moss, just better because they have better TE's now. I know we have salary cap issues, but it would be suicide for Rooney to let Wallace go to New England, and I doubt he will. He already mentioned re-signing Wallace was a top priority, but not resigning him and letting him go there is completely unacceptable.

Bayz101
02-09-2012, 07:19 PM
We're going to see a lot of loved veterans go this offseason, but it's probably for the better. Let's just hope a deal is made, and our deep threat is back next year. That's all we can do.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Said this 2 weeks ago here. We better watch out for Belichek. giving up a 1st rd pick at 31 is nothing for wallace at this point.

Sixburgher
02-09-2012, 07:26 PM
First off if we lose Wallace we will be taking a step back, but if we lose him to the Pats we can just hang it up for a few years, let the Pats when a few championships, then get back at it when Brady retires.

Seems to me they were supposedly going to win Super Bowl after Super Bowl with Moss too.

tanda10506
02-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Seems to me they were supposedly going to win Super Bowl after Super Bowl with Moss too.

True, but lets be serious, they were a miracle catch away from winning one, and Moss left the year after next right? Plus Brady was out all of 2008. (Not a Moss fan so I'm not sure, correct me if I'm wrong). They will be even better though, they didn't have Hernandez and Gronkowski then. You do have a point and maybe I exaggerated a bit, but I don't think by much. Luckily I don't see it happening, we will do what we need to to keep Wallace.

Sixburgher
02-09-2012, 07:34 PM
True, but lets be serious, they were a miracle catch away from winning one, and Moss left the year after next right? Plus Brady was out all of 2008. (Not a Moss fan so I'm not sure, correct me if I'm wrong). They will be even better though, they didn't have Hernandez and Gronkowski then. You do have a point and maybe I exaggerated a bit, but I don't think by much. Luckily I don't see it happening, we will do what we need to to keep Wallace.

Their big name free agent acquisitions have been pretty much blowing up in their faces lately. Haynesworth was supposedly going to restore their pass rush and Ochocinco was supposedly going to be another major contributor and turn them into an unbeatable juggernaut this past season too. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, is all I'm saying. People continue to say what a cake schedule the Steelers had this past season and that their 12-4 record was a "fraud", well, who exactly did the Patriots beat? The only reason they made it as far as they did is because the Ravens choked again.

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Their big name free agent acquisitions have been pretty much blowing up in their faces lately. Haynesworth was supposedly going to restore their pass rush and Ochocinco was supposedly going to be another major contributor and turn them into an unbeatable juggernaut this past season too. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, is all I'm saying. People continue to say what a cake schedule the Steelers had this past season and that their 12-4 record was a "fraud", well, who exactly did the Patriots beat?

Good points - I would think Belichick might be interested in trying to upgrade that defense before upgrading a fairly prolific passing game

Of course if the Steelers had been able to beat the one good team New England did beat (Baltimore) they probably would have had home field advantage for the playoffs

steeltheone
02-09-2012, 07:41 PM
The Patriots beat the Ravens! I would not be to upset with 2 number 1 picks Wallace is not worth a boat load of money.

tony hipchest
02-09-2012, 07:45 PM

they were a few plays away from winning it w/o him.

either way, we are always in contention for a bowl with him, and the patriots will always be in contention w/o him. do the simple addition/subtraction and see where that equation leaves us. we'll see soon enough if the rooneys place more value on him than just another plax or holmes. easy to get rid of those guys w a younger, healthier hines.

wallaces goals of getting top dollar and being the first 2000 yd receiver are realistic in NE though.

im sure the 49ers are gonna show great interest in wallace as well. its a great market for FA wr's and theres none i'd rather have than mike, especially w/o arians deflating his stats in an attempt to make him more affordable.

jiminpa
02-09-2012, 07:45 PM
If Wallace just loses a step, he's done. How long can anyone be the fastest guy in the NFL? That fades pretty quickly and then what will he be? Pretty average for a couple of years, and then not even average.

Sixburgher
02-09-2012, 07:48 PM

either way, we are always in contention for a bowl with him, and the patriots will always be in contention w/o him. do the simple addition/subtraction and see where that equation leaves us. we'll see soon enough if the rooneys place more value on him than just another plax or holmes. easy to get rid of those guys w a younger, healthier hines.

wallaces goals of getting top dollar and being the first 2000 yd receiver are realistic in NE though.

im sure the 49ers are gonna show great interest in wallace as well. its a great market for FA wr's and theres none i'd rather have than mike, especially w/o arians deflating his stats in an attempt to make him more affordable.

Rooney has said inking Wallace to a new deal was a priority, so we'll see.

Curtain_of_Steel
Cant get 2 unless you tag him, can't tag him unless we are under the cap can't get under the cap till we trim the fat and dead weight off the roster.. 2, 1st round picks will be 2 consecutive late round picks in consecutive years, not 2 from the same year.

Wallace far exceeds a late 1st round pick, since the Steelers don't typically trade up. Wallace is the Fitzgerald in this offense that Haley is running.

Sixburgher
If Wallace just loses a step, he's done. How long can anyone be the fastest guy in the NFL? That fades pretty quickly and then what will he be? Pretty average for a couple of years, and then not even average.

A very valid point as well. Brown has already surpassed him as a route runner.

fujirama24
02-09-2012, 08:13 PM
If he becomes a restricted free agent then yeah he is probable gone. but I just don't see it. The Rooneys and colbert are too good to let suck a talent go. Holmes was a different story with his problems. Wallace is a stand up guy. I believe he will get paid by the steelers before free agentcy starts. We can't lose this guy. And I believe they know this. He will get paid somewhere in the 5th to 10th best in the league with a big signing bonus.

tony hipchest
02-09-2012, 08:24 PM
darryl green was the "fastest man in the nfl" for about 15 years.

:hunch:

im not too worried about wallace losing a step. its not like he's gonna start taking on willie parkers carries and breaking a leg anytime soon.

60_MINUTES
02-09-2012, 08:27 PM
:doh:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1055220-new-england-patriots-pittsburgh-steelers-mike-wallace-is-a-realistic-target

The guy is a blogger... and a pats fan and has no clue... you worry for no reason.. We have already fixed the cap for the most part and havent even cut hampton kemo ward etc... If we have to we will and can have plenty of room to franchise tag wallace.. LOL if we cant afford to pay him 10 million then how in the world could we pay anyone.. He will get tagged then we will work a deal out before the season and his 10 mil cap will be gone as well... trust me guys there is 0 chance he walks out at least this year.. he will be tagged for sure if needed

kan_t
02-09-2012, 08:43 PM
I don't think he's going to lose a step in the next 2-3 seasons. And he will still be blowing people away even though he does lose a step. I'm not worry about his production.

For the record, I think the Steelers will keep Wallace.

TRH
02-09-2012, 08:54 PM
First step is to see what kind of $$$ Wallace and his agent are going to be asking for. My guess is that its going to be in the stratosphere.

Edman
02-09-2012, 09:04 PM
It's Bleacher Report written by a Pats fan, guys. Nothing to be alarmed about.

The Steelers will keep Wallace.

zcoop
02-09-2012, 09:34 PM

My thoughts as well. Just another partisan talking head and his wishful thinking.

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2012, 09:43 PM

it doesn't matter who its written by. the fact is they're vary valid points he brings up. ANYBODY who wants to make wallace an offer can. the question is , will and can , the steelers match the offer if it does happen.
the freakin cowboys gave up a first round pick for an under achieving mike williams for god sakes. :doh:

there's quite a few teams out there that need a second receiver.. getting a proven commodity VS drafting a rookie receiver with a low 1st pick should be enticing.
texans - 26 th pick
bengals - 2 1st picks
pats - 2 1st picks
niners - 30th
rams - 22nd
bears - 19th

FrancoLambert
02-09-2012, 10:00 PM
I doubt that the Rooneys who overruled Tomlin to can BA, will strip Haley of potentially his most dangerous weapon before he even gets a chance to use him.
They'll figure out a way to keep him.

MasterOfPuppets
02-09-2012, 10:07 PM
I doubt that the Rooneys who overruled Tomlin to can BA, will strip Haley of potentially his most dangerous weapon before he even gets a chance to use him.
They'll figure out a way to keep him.
jeebus people !!!... the POINT IS... he may not have a choice !!! ... they gotten make cuts and restructure out the ass just to get under the cap. if some owner with an eye for wallace and has the cap space wants wallace ...they'll simply out bid the steelers :noidea:

Fire Arians
02-09-2012, 10:17 PM

maybe if we're lucky arians will get the colts to outbid everyone for him, so we will get the #1 pick, i can live with that :thumbsup:

6RingsAndCounting
02-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Never believe BleacherReport unless they have a confirmed source

mojonator73
02-09-2012, 11:40 PM
not a big believer in blacher report either....kinda like the national enquirer of sports sites

tanda10506
02-10-2012, 03:22 AM
It would suck to lose him gor a first rounder, but if it was to anybody except the Pats or Ravens it wouldn't be the end of the world. If he went to the Pats it would be horrible, and even though the Ratbirds aren't a top notch passing team, I would hate to face him twice a year and I would hate to see how much he would improve their offense. Roonry said he wants to keep him do we likely will.

OX1947
02-10-2012, 03:55 AM
FYI folks, Bleacher Report is the biggest jerk off site on the net when talking sports. Pats are not wasting a 1st rounder on Wallace. Pats were one drop away from winning a Super Bowl. Deep threat issues in NE is a fallacy. They have 3 pro bowl receivers and play the short throwing game. They do not need a deep threat if they have to spend a 1st rounder on them.

New England needs defense, defense and more defense. Had they had some guys on D who could make a play, they wouldnt have had the Ravens and Giants go up and down the field on them in pivitol times. Really, they only difference in those games was the pats got the dropped ball go their way in the B-more game, and the shit end of it against the giants. Pretty much even games just one was the ying the other was the yang...

pete74
02-10-2012, 04:32 AM
you guys are all talking about Bleacher Report but the fact is it dosnt matter who wrote this story. i said a few months ago that this was possible. the Bengals and Pats both have 2 first round picks and the cap space to outbid us. if they want him there is nothing we can do. we dont have the money to franchise him

Rick5895
02-10-2012, 04:52 AM
Mike is a restricted free agent. If someone wants to outbid and overpay for him and lose a 1st round pick at this point, then they will. But u;ultimately the ball is in #17's court. If he wants to be a Steeler, he will be. If he wants an insane amount of money then he won't be. Simple as that. Wallace is a good to great WR, but he struggled at the end of last season with double teams and had some critical drops.
At this point I cant see any team overpaying for him and then giving up a 1st round pick as well.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-10-2012, 06:00 AM
Mike is a restricted free agent. If someone wants to outbid and overpay for him and lose a 1st round pick at this point, then they will. But u;ultimately the ball is in #17's court. If he wants to be a Steeler, he will be. If he wants an insane amount of money then he won't be. Simple as that. Wallace is a good to great WR, but he struggled at the end of last season with double teams and had some critical drops.
At this point I cant see any team overpaying for him and then giving up a 1st round pick as well.

I cant see any team giving a first round pick for Wallace either but i dont think he is all about the money i think he just wants to be the best and you can tell how he wants to be the best when he said he was getting 2000 yards before the season kinda cocky but idc only if you can back it up.

Btw Big Ben did overthrow Mike alot so that did not help

plenewken
02-10-2012, 06:59 AM
FYI folks, Bleacher Report is the biggest jerk off site on the net when talking sports. Pats are not wasting a 1st rounder on Wallace. Pats were one drop away from winning a Super Bowl. Deep threat issues in NE is a fallacy.

They were also 1 stripped ball in the end zone away from not being in the SB. This being said, I agree that the Pats offense is not in dire need of a deep threat considering how their offense works. I don't see it happening with the Pats but it could very well happen with other teams.
With our salary cap issues, some teams could easily outbid us, no question.

3rdandlong
02-10-2012, 10:42 AM
I don't know why te Patriots would be looking to spend a lot of money on another offensive weapon for Brady. Their defense was one of the worst in thte league. That was why I was not convinced the Patriots were the best team in the league. Brady is getting old, losing a little bit in the tank. If the Patriots were smart, they'd focus on defense instead of spending money on Wallace

TRH
02-10-2012, 12:03 PM

wishful thinking, but most of the time, almost all of the time actually, the agent will have most of the influence on the decision. Sad...but true.
You get the rare guy like a Woodley who would bend over backwards to stay here, but doesn't happen often.

Bayz101
02-10-2012, 12:08 PM
wishful thinking, but most of the time, almost all of the time actually, the agent will have most of the influence on the decision. Sad...but true.
You get the rare guy like a Woodley who would bend over backwards to stay here, but doesn't happen often.

This is true, and if there's another team offering more money, we'll be without Wallace 90% of the time with 90% of all agents.

lipps83
02-10-2012, 03:07 PM
I like Wallace but would prefer to keep Brown. If they think there might be a risk of losing Brown if they sign Wallace, then by all means let Wallace go.

I think Sanders could be a decent No 2 receiver when the issues that have been recently around him subside.

Fire Arians
02-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I like Wallace but would prefer to keep Brown. If they think there might be a risk of losing Brown if they sign Wallace, then by all means let Wallace go.

I think Sanders could be a decent No 2 receiver when the issues that have been recently around him subside.

sanders would be the best out of the 3 if he wasn't injury prone. he's a better route runner than brown, faster straight-line speed, is a great blocker, and isn't afraid to catch over the middle. I hope his ankle can hold up

Curtain_of_Steel
02-10-2012, 04:31 PM
The Pats D wont imporve overnight. If the D can grow within themselves than what they need there is minimal.

Adding Wallace with Brady? Brady might hand over Giselle for the evening to get that threat.

People say, "giving" up a 1st? They arent giving up. In effect its a trade. If you think Wallace is not worth the 31st pick in the draft, your crazy.

Fire Arians
02-10-2012, 04:54 PM
The Pats D wont imporve overnight. If the D can grow within themselves than what they need there is minimal.

Adding Wallace with Brady? Brady might hand over Giselle for the evening to get that threat.

People say, "giving" up a 1st? They arent giving up. In effect its a trade. If you think Wallace is not worth the 31st pick in the draft, your crazy.

i guess i'm crazy then, i sure as shit am not gonna give up wallace for a 31st pick

Ronaldo
02-10-2012, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't mind it if we lost Wallace. Let's face it guys, aside from his big play ability he doesn't provide anything else to our offense. His route running is still not very good. When is the last time Wallace made a crucial third down reception? The only players I can think of that did that were a large portion, Brown and Sanders. I really think our money situation is going to push this issue out of our hands. We simply do not have the money to pay him if a team goes over the top. He is not worth top 10 WR $$$.

We give him to a team in the middle teens and we can get the top G available. Or we can even take a Floyd or Alshon who are big and also can be deep threats. I believe the biggest issue on this team is not being able to score points. We need bigger bodied recievers to score in the redzone.

That will leave our regular first rounder to either take another o line position or take Poe or any other D player we like.

jjpro11
02-10-2012, 08:35 PM
this is my biggest fear with Wallace, losing him to the Patriots.. if not this year, then next year when he becomes a FA. if the Steelers think there's absolutely no way they can afford to keep him after this season, maybe they should think about trading him like they did Holmes before he became a FA.. only this time they would require a 1st rounder. that way the Steelers could prevent him from going to the Patriots or another contending AFC team.

i don't know why a team wouldn't give up a 1st round pick for Wallace.. especially a 31st pick.. i mean, you'd basically guarantee yourself a pro bowl caliber player in the first round. who wouldn't want those odds instead of risking drafting a bust? the only downfall is your paying his big contract now, instead of 4 years down the road when the rookie contract requires.

Darkstorm05
02-10-2012, 10:34 PM
IMO, there are worse things that could happen here than the Patriots. Look at teams like the Bengals and Browns in our own division that are trying to go to a west coast offense, and are going to be REQUIRED to dump another 30+ mil into player salaries very soon. If I remember correctly, both teams have some draft picks to spare, as well. If you're running the show in Cleveland, what could you lose by throwing 7 mil a year at Wallace right now?

60_MINUTES
02-11-2012, 12:28 AM
jeebus people !!!... the POINT IS... he may not have a choice !!! ... they gotten make cuts and restructure out the ass just to get under the cap. if some owner with an eye for wallace and has the cap space wants wallace ...they'll simply out bid the steelers :noidea:

We have pretty much fixed our cap and havent even made 10 percent of the moves that we can make... there is no chance what so ever we could lose wallace... they will for sure one hundered percent franchise him if they think they need to...

Relax people lets worry about who we gonna draft and have some fun looking at those kinds of things and stop all the worrying about some pats fan that is begging this could happen lol

ZERO CHANCE THIS CAN HAPPEN

60_MINUTES
02-11-2012, 12:31 AM
I wouldn't mind it if we lost Wallace. Let's face it guys, aside from his big play ability he doesn't provide anything else to our offense. His route running is still not very good. When is the last time Wallace made a crucial third down reception? The only players I can think of that did that were a large portion, Brown and Sanders. I really think our money situation is going to push this issue out of our hands. We simply do not have the money to pay him if a team goes over the top. He is not worth top 10 WR $$$.

We give him to a team in the middle teens and we can get the top G available. Or we can even take a Floyd or Alshon who are big and also can be deep threats. I believe the biggest issue on this team is not being able to score points. We need bigger bodied recievers to score in the redzone.

That will leave our regular first rounder to either take another o line position or take Poe or any other D player we like.

I understand where your coming from with the brown and sanders thing.. however your forgetting one key point... We no longer have BA who is one of the biggest idiots to ever but a head phone on... Haley will use Wallace much like he did Larry Fitzgerald with the CARDS... we are about to put a clinic on boys... the O is gonna be very scary

Bayz101
02-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Considering the last bit of 2011 was spent doing nothing in Wallace's case, Franchise tagging him may not be the wisest of all decisions. He was already showing a lack of effort in his game at the end of the season...

Sure, they could tag him this year, but then there's next year? With the temporary restructuring of contract's there doing now, next year's Cap is bound to be effected. There just trying to get themselves within the limits for this year. Tagging Wallace now will leave him in limbo for next year, in a time where there condition with the Cap may be even worse.

I honestly think we'll get below the Cap by releasing veterans and restructuring contracts, and we'll offer Wallace a short-term contract. I'm thinking the contract will be a 2-3 year deal. He's going to want to keep his options open for the future, he's a young dude. I don't think they'll be tagging him, but I think they'll be signing him. For now it's just about getting themselves out of the Cap penalty.

Bayz101
02-11-2012, 12:45 AM
I understand where your coming from with the brown and sanders thing.. however your forgetting one key point... We no longer have BA who is one of the biggest idiots to ever but a head phone on... Haley will use Wallace much like he did Larry Fitzgerald with the CARDS... we are about to put a clinic on boys... the O is gonna be very scary

This is why i'm excited as hell for next season.

kan_t
02-11-2012, 01:11 AM
After those contracts restructure, right now the Steelers payroll sits at about $126M. The cap is project to be around $120. And Steelers still haven't taken any action to Kemoeatu, Smith, Ward, Farrior. And Ben's contract can also be restructured and saves a ton in cap space.

I really don't think the Steelers have difficulties in bring back Wallace, if they want to.

pitt0wns
02-11-2012, 01:53 AM
All Wallace has is his speed. When he can run some great routes then we could talk how much he is worth. Like ppl are saying he will slow down in the next couple of years -- speed doesn't stay with you forever.

I think Brown stole the spotlight from Wallace this past season.

Kemoeatu, Smith, Ward and Farrior need to go.

I love Ward but he has lost his step and I hope he retires as a Steeler or comes on as a coach.

Haley will turn this offense around!

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-11-2012, 02:06 AM
All Wallace has is his speed. When he can run some great routes then we could talk how much he is worth. Like ppl are saying he will slow down in the next couple of years -- speed doesn't stay with you forever.

I think Brown stole the spotlight from Wallace this past season.

Kemoeatu, Smith, Ward and Farrior need to go.

I love Ward but he has lost his step and I hope he retires as a Steeler or comes on as a coach.

Haley will turn this offense around!

You dont lose that much speed when you get older he is 26 he might start slowing down around the age 32/33 only if he keeps working on it he will hardly lose it

Kingmagyar
02-11-2012, 07:52 AM
The fact that so many WRs are free agents this year may keep teams from going after Wallace when they can get Vincent Jackson, Desean Jackson, Wes Welker, Dwayne Bowe, Steve Johnson, Marques Colston, Brandon Lloyd, Mario Manningham, Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, or Plaxico Burress without spending a #1 pick.

Kingmagyar
02-11-2012, 08:42 AM
However from Jason Smith at NFL.com

There's too much risk of a guy getting happy and not producing once you put huge money in his pocket. And when that's $10 million or more? It's not worth it. I try to build like the Packers and Saints: get as much quality depth as possible, so my No. 3 and 4 guys cause mismatches against opposing defenses. I think a lot of teams are going to try to follow this method so they don't get burned.

If I needed to upgrade my WR corps, I'd do it as cheaply as possible.Early Doucet has flashed a little in Arizona, and he piques my interest. I could get two or three of them for two or three years each for what it would cost to sign Vincent Jackson or Wes Welker or Marques Colston or Dwayne Bowe. It's all about collecting quantity at WR now.

steeltheone
02-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Wallace is no Larry Fitzgerald .....At this point not even close.

pittpete
02-11-2012, 10:09 AM
there is no chance what so ever we could lose wallace... they will for sure one hundered percent franchise him if they think they need to

You think the Steelers are going to pay Wallace 9.4 million for 1 year?
Go sign a track guy off the street,give him a pointy haircut and save 9 million:coffee:

Fire Arians
02-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Wallace is no Larry Fitzgerald .....At this point not even close.

fitz is a phenomenal talent and I agree with you. but we also have brown, sanders, and maybe cotchery. that's more weapons than the cardinals had in 2008

brown > boldin, and the jury is still out on sanders if he can stay healthy for an entire season

Curtain_of_Steel
02-13-2012, 01:36 PM
We can't have much of an opinion of Sanders other than, he is always hurt. So we probably need to still draft a WR this year with some speed and smarts as a safeguard.

Wallace isn't worth 9.4million, but a team can easily front load a contract to make it impossible for the Steelers to sign him.
5 year deal 35million, 5million bonus, 9million first year for a cap hit of 10million. Steelers could not bring that in under the cap. Its not about a team over paying Wallce, its about a team strucuturing so we can't pay Wallace. We must match the contract exactly if Wallace signs an offer.

We could tag him, in hopes of getting a long term deal done. But you do not know what is in Wallaces head, he thought he would do 2000 yards this year, lol

Don't forget, Wallaces speed, make Brown what he is. You can't double team 2 wr's all day and not lose to them.

6RingsAndCounting
02-13-2012, 02:11 PM
I really hope we don't lose him, i'll lose my deep threat on Madden.