PDA

View Full Version : The PM wars need to stop !

BlitzburghRockCity
07-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Prosdo and I have been getting bombarded with PM's from concerned members who feel they are being harrassed, taken advantage of, ridiculed, mocked, and pretty much everything else from a select few members here on SF either by PM or out in the forums. Mainly by PM though.

You all know who you are, and it needs to stop now. Members have been contacting us, forwarding the PM's to show what is going on. It's really quite immature to fight on a message board, much less in PM's. People come here to enjoy the company of friends and get the latest Steelers news. They don't come here to get harrassed or ridiculed. We built a solid reputation and we're not about to let it go to hell in handbasket !

If you have a problem with a member you take it to the mods and let us deal with it. Arguing and fighting back and forth solves nothing other than driving members away. Remember, it doesnt matter who you are, nobody owns this site or has anymore clout than Mike. Whatever reputations people had on other boards means nothing here. We give the benefit of the doubt to all new members. If you're cool with us, we're cool with you. If you screw with us, you get banned! Plain and simple.

Whether you know someone on this board from seeing them on another board, or whether you are friends/relatives in everyday life....respect each other enough that if you have a problem take it to the management instead of playing Mr Keyboard Tough Guy or Gal and slinging threats around. SF doesnt stand for it, and if it doesnt stop, 3 day ban's will be begin to be handed out, after that, its permanant ban. End of story, see ya later. We already have several pm's on record and if it continues on in this manner it's not gonna be pretty.

This is just a general warning, and the only warning. If you aren't involved in this little charade then just continue on as you were and keep enjoying SF, we're glad to have you and we appreciate you.

If you are involved in this, in any level with any member, it needs to stop today.

HburgXL06
07-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Great post BRC, I agree. It's a message board everyone, so it's all just in good fun.

BuFu

Prosdo
07-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Excellent post Matt. When I found out about these little wars I was pretty shocked about it. Because when it comes down to it, it is very immature. The site is for fun and as Matt said we will not put up with behavior from anyone. It doesn't matter if you have been here for a year plus or anything of that sort. Keep it up and your butts will be right out the door.

Koopa
07-12-2006, 12:20 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

damn ppl are some whiners on here. teacher teacher, they are picking on me. smh @ the ppl that are bugging the great mods of this forum with little problems like this. y'all should be ashamed of yourselves lol

Prosdo
07-12-2006, 12:31 AM
I can't blame them for being upset. Some of them have gone way past ridiculous with the PM's.

Hammer67
07-12-2006, 07:14 AM
Two questions...are the people involved newer to the board?

Also, why don't people just ignore PM's?

ARKIESTEEL
07-12-2006, 07:37 AM
I am kind of new around here myself. But I sure do like this place better than any other Steeler site I have looked at. But this I will shut up if he shuts up stuff needs to go. From now on if you have to fight take it to the Bungles board they love stuff like that. what I guess bugs me the most is the fighting between Steeler fans hmmmm just not right!

To the mods and Admins great job this place rocks couldnt ask for a better site

CAH
07-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Why? Why? Why would anyone carry their tales to the moderators?

Tattletale, tattletale
Hanging on a bull's tail.
When the bull begins to pea
You will have a cup of tea.

Just remembered that from school days and it still sounds stupid. :dang:

BengalBrian
07-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Surprisingly enough, I am not being harrassed, but well put... Way to call em out

3 to be 4
07-12-2006, 01:17 PM
yeah, i ditto what he said!

Prosdo
07-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Well, when it gets to the point of just straight harrassment I can't blame them and it is also spilling into the forums. They are here for fun not to be bothered in the way they are being bothered. Also these people aren't coming to us at the first PM its about after 5 or 10. After seeing some of the PM's I am completely embarassed that we have members acting like this. So, anyone who is doing it needs to stop because it will not be tolerated.

slashsteel
07-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Cah it is because some people have no guts.

For the "record" if it was me you are referring too. Most of everything I said was a invite. If they are threatened by a face to face confrontation well what can I say. Second the only real threat I made was when one poster got too personal throwing comments about a past relationship. As this person has been warned before in the past about personal attacks. so if they cried to you it was a retaliation on my part. Two wrongs don't make a right. But I am not one of these people who are going to come crying to the mods. But I will say one thing. If I am ever given a three day away, knowing how I don't just throw things out without being provoked. I am thinking in fairness it should be to both parties. In a debate if I call someone on something, they shouldn't be slinging on every other post or in user reps how immature said poster is. Especially with the fact that the ones mentioned act like they are 2. I in my case offered the first party a truce, but it was ignored. Meaning they welcomed the confrontation that they started to begin with. For the "record", I don't start fights, I finish them....................

.......also one poster pmed another poster and they decided to have a threesome thread gangup. Which is really brave that these people had to group up to handle me. Unfortunately for them it didn't work.

Prosdo
07-12-2006, 05:24 PM
This is just a general warning. We have received PM's about 3-5 people doing things like this from several members. This is directed at anyone doing it not just one person.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Only those that are doing the harrassing are the ones that should be worried about whether they'll still have an account on SF anymore in the future. If you're acting like a high school kid then expect to be treated like one.

These arent just silly nonsense PM's but rather some of them are quite descriptive and using language that isnt appropriate for anyone, must less a message board.

CAH
07-12-2006, 09:58 PM
In 7 years, I sent a PM to the moderator one time and wondered what was I doing. Was sorry after I sent it. I handled it by facing the dude one on one and we really did some smacking but he never bothered me again.

There is no way people don't get touchy with some people. That's life. You wouldn't believe the names I've been called and probably most of them were true (don't tell them that) LOL Heck, just today I was called "certifyably insane", which may be true but understand that in a group, everyone is different and everyone comes to the board in a different mood so live with it or leave.

CowherLover
07-12-2006, 10:20 PM
I find it hard to believe that someone would say such a thing about Toxic Granny!

CAH
07-13-2006, 02:02 PM
I find it hard to believe that someone would say such a thing about Toxic Granny!
How about "Pipe down, you old bat or I'll leave you here and drive off." which was posted on this board yesterday by a moderator? :old:

bcolton82
07-13-2006, 03:09 PM
LMFAO @ PM wars

is there any chance we can get these PM's posted?...ya know, just for a lil comic relief???

CAH
07-13-2006, 08:19 PM
LMFAO @ PM wars

is there any chance we can get these PM's posted?...ya know, just for a lil comic relief???
That thread would create a lot of interest but very well would be the death of this board.

Bad idea. (although I do know you meant it as a joke.) Weird mind. :eyecrazy:

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Prosdo and I have been getting bombarded with PM's from concerned members who feel they are being harrassed, taken advantage of, ridiculed, mocked, and pretty much everything else from a select few members here on SF either by PM or out in the forums. Mainly by PM though.

You all know who you are, and it needs to stop now. Members have been contacting us, forwarding the PM's to show what is going on. It's really quite immature to fight on a message board, much less in PM's. People come here to enjoy the company of friends and get the latest Steelers news. They don't come here to get harrassed or ridiculed. We built a solid reputation and we're not about to let it go to hell in handbasket !

If you have a problem with a member you take it to the mods and let us deal with it. Arguing and fighting back and forth solves nothing other than driving members away. Remember, it doesnt matter who you are, nobody owns this site or has anymore clout than Mike. Whatever reputations people had on other boards means nothing here. We give the benefit of the doubt to all new members. If you're cool with us, we're cool with you. If you screw with us, you get banned! Plain and simple.

Whether you know someone on this board from seeing them on another board, or whether you are friends/relatives in everyday life....respect each other enough that if you have a problem take it to the management instead of playing Mr Keyboard Tough Guy or Gal and slinging threats around. SF doesnt stand for it, and if it doesnt stop, 3 day ban's will be begin to be handed out, after that, its permanant ban. End of story, see ya later. We already have several pm's on record and if it continues on in this manner it's not gonna be pretty.

This is just a general warning, and the only warning. If you aren't involved in this little charade then just continue on as you were and keep enjoying SF, we're glad to have you and we appreciate you.

If you are involved in this, in any level with any member, it needs to stop today.

Well put man, I never had any of these troubles but to hear that it is going on in a message board community that is like my 2nd home that has a positive reputation. Every day since last August, if I have had a rough time with some things of my normal everyday life usually I sometimes will come here and talk about the Steelers and any other things that are made mention of on the board. And I also should say for anyone of the general public that comes in as a guest this doesn't attract more members. Now I'm not saying I'm on that block, because I am absolutely not as I have said before.

Stlrs4Life
07-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Kids, these days will never learn.

slashsteel
07-15-2006, 05:50 PM
School them 4life! ;)

Suitanim
07-15-2006, 08:53 PM
Actually, it's just growing pains. This site has grown too big, too fast, and, no offense to anyone, there are only a few mods here, and they are either too busy, or too young to really keep up with/fully grasp all that's going on.

But these are generally good problems. Better to get too big too fast then to disappear in obscurity.

SteelCityMan786
07-15-2006, 11:29 PM
Well a suggestion would be add maybe 1 or 2 more mods. Maybe 3 just to be safe. Wouldn't hurt.

Koopa
07-16-2006, 12:07 AM
adding mods won't stop the pm wars, it'll just give the whiners more ppl to bother, maybe ppl should just not open their pms and stick to just posting, or maybe just talk shit right back lol, quit crying

Livinginthe past
07-16-2006, 10:36 AM
I think you will agree that you enjoy talking sh*t to people in a lighthearted way Koopa.

And thats fine, I have no problem with that.

Everyone is not like you though, some people dont like the idea of being told what to do by other posters or being verbally abused or even physically threatened for holding a different opinion.

There is a very wide range of personalities of people on this board, and dont think anyone should have to avoid opening PM's because someone is sending them unreasonable abuse..

NM

SteelCityMan786
07-16-2006, 12:07 PM
Heck even better. Just delete them, don't bother opening PM's. That leaves the Assnoodles to find other people to whine at.

BengalBrian
07-16-2006, 12:18 PM
I would do what we eventually did at CB... Kill rep... Just throw it out the window... That is a big source of the issue...

Just my 2 cents

Prosdo
07-16-2006, 05:03 PM
I would do what we eventually did at CB... Kill rep... Just throw it out the window... That is a big source of the issue...

Just my 2 cents

It seems it may be coming down to that.

slashsteel
07-17-2006, 07:53 PM
Some people who speak out about the verbal abuse and threats in pm's are usually the ones who either instigate.... then can't handle the backlash and or are the ones inviting the person(s) into PM's. I love other teams fans that have nothing to contribute but slanted views of bullsh!t. And young posters who are rep trigger happy. When the day comes this board is rid of both trolls. It will indeed be a more Steeler friendly atmosphere!

Note to people who haven't got the balls to handle confrontations themselves, especially the ones who start them. Grow a pair!

Hawk Believer
07-17-2006, 08:56 PM
It seems it may be coming down to that.
I think it would be a shame to get rid of rep because a few people are having problems with it. The big advantage of rep in my eyes is that it helps reduce thread "spam." I imagine 90% of rep messages are positive and say something to the effect of "nice post," "LMAO", or "I agree." It think its great for people to communicate those thoughts to one another, but all those messages tend clog up threads on forums that don't have rep and make them more laborious to read. Anyway, those are my thoughts. If you give me negative rep for them, I'll threaten you with bodily harm:rofl:

Livinginthe past
07-18-2006, 12:29 AM
I think it would be a shame to get rid of rep because a few people are having problems with it. The big advantage of rep in my eyes is that it helps reduce thread "spam." I imagine 90% of rep messages are positive and say something to the effect of "nice post," "LMAO", or "I agree." It think its great for people to communicate those thoughts to one another, but all those messages tend clog up threads on forums that don't have rep and make them more laborious to read. Anyway, those are my thoughts. If you give me negative rep for them, I'll threaten you with bodily harm:rofl:

Nice post.

I agree.

:cool:

NM

Hawk Believer
07-18-2006, 12:51 AM
Nice post.

I agree.

:cool:

NM
LMAO

Big D
07-18-2006, 09:17 AM
I agree that the rep points are a good thing to have in here. I think that people just need to act like adults and quit being online tough guys.

Hammer67
07-18-2006, 10:29 PM
I find it interesting that:

A) People have the maturity level to hurl personal insults over a message board ( saying things they 99% of the time would never say to someone's face)

b) The recievers of said insults don't simply ignore the person and their posts.

What's wrong with people????:dang:
Should we start giving out a personality test to new members? I guess the Super Bowl win has brought in some scum in its' wake...

SteelCityMan786
07-19-2006, 12:59 PM
I find it interesting that:

A) People have the maturity level to hurl personal insults over a message board ( saying things they 99% of the time would never say to someone's face)

b) The recievers of said insults don't simply ignore the person and their posts.

What's wrong with people????:dang:
Should we start giving out a personality test to new members? I guess the Super Bowl win has brought in some scum in its' wake...

From some people at least.

slashsteel
07-19-2006, 04:49 PM
I disagree that rep points are a good thing, because online trolls like to use them to spew off even more immaturity besides the crap that comes from their posts. They need to stop being online pu$$y's and stop crying about every damn little thing that bothers them. Wahhhhhhhhhh my panties are in a bunch.

I do agree if said persons can't handle rebuttles, they should ignore that party. Problem with that is most trolls don't know how to ignore. They would rather spew off one sentence garbage. Over and over again. Ima edumicated d!psh!t. :)

In a example, most of my negative rep comes from one person. Sorry the system sucks I vote to can it..................

Oh one troll last week called me a new poster. So that he-r brain can grasp it. I figured I would remind them here that just because your post count isn't high with jibberish, doesn't mean that said poster hasn't been here for a while. In fact I have been around longer than a few members around here realize.............

Hopefully this discussion will end soon, but I am sure the one sentence police can't be too far behind ! !

Big D
07-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Whats funny about you is that all this started because of a sarcastic comment that you continue to take seriously. As i've told you before slash i've made sure to intial every neg rep point that i have ever given you. And till this day i'm trying to figure out how you think i'm a troll. I have made several efforts and have ignored several of your sarcastic posts about me. But its getting old. I have dropped my issues with you and I think its time you do the same. You call me an online pu$$y and the reason being i wont stoop to the immaturity you have of bickering back and fourth. I refuse to have any more childish arguements with you. It's time to drop this once and for all

slashsteel
07-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Sarcastic comment ? ? LMFAO you know you misread it. As you were dead serious. You actually thought I was going to commit suicide. But we won't rehash this. As we know that you are way to immature to actually admit to being a d!pshit.

Let me put this so your simplistic mind can understand it. You dish it out, it comes back three fold. If you can't handle it STFU and ignore me!

You are a troll because one you follow me around, glued to my every post. Don't deny it. Two, you barely ever get past one sentence remarks. And most of those remarks are either childish, immature, filled with grammar errors or just plain nonsense. Three you throw out remarks then get bent out of shape when I throw them back. Why does it bother you if I think you are a pu$$Y ? ? Truth hurts doesn't it ? ? For me whatever comes my way doesn't bother me, I just throw it back. I enjoy watching you cry so please continue.

See I called you on your little kindergarden game. Let us throw things on the table without mentioning the posters name. I do the same and surprise ! Little D calls me on it. It is a vicious cycle, go try to relax it is milk and cookies time followed by a nap nap. :)

Big D
07-19-2006, 05:27 PM
ok. One more time. I dont follow you around I normally comment on new posts. If you look into todays history it will all but confirm it. I'm calling a truce. Its your choice whether you take it or not.

Livinginthe past
07-19-2006, 05:36 PM
For Godsake.

Stop telling each other you are going to stop replying and just do it.

The last word is overrated - dibsies last word..and no comebacks.

NM

slashsteel
07-19-2006, 05:39 PM
Biggest problem I have with you is your ignorance. I can ignore it, but seriously you need to think before you post. Some of your comments makes me wonder how you can have a college background.

We can try your truce, I get the swings next! But again throw anything my way and expect. Pretty simplistic.

So seeing that you hunt down my posts only to reply not hang on every word. There is no need to go to fifteen other threads and spew off anything right? :)

On a serious note maybe you should think about joining the military, they make men out of boys. I wish every man had to serve at least one term...................... It just teaches so much ....................

slashsteel
07-19-2006, 05:41 PM
For Godsake.

Stop telling each other you are going to stop replying and just do it.

The last word is overrated - dibsies last word..and no comebacks.

So says the pot to the kettle.

BBC
07-19-2006, 05:42 PM
My suggestion on how to resolve these problems?

1) Remove rep numbers. Just let them give comments. That way, no one cares if they get negative rep (because it doesn't affect anything), but the forum doesn't get congested with useless things like "Nice post!"

2) Everyone involved in these childish e-wars needs to just place each other on ignore, and do just that - ignore each other. No more PM's, no more responding to each other. Problem solved.

Prosdo
07-19-2006, 10:45 PM
Ignore each other is the most simple option that practically everyone just forgets about.

SteelCzar76
07-19-2006, 10:58 PM
I don't know Pros,.....I actually enjoy the insight of such discussions. Communication,... if done reasonably without bickering,...is very useful. I think simply ingoring any issue is a "Bandaids on Bulletwounds" solution. Hey,...and if sh$t get's out of hand,.....you do have the power to end it for all parties involved Babygirl. LOL

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail the black and Gold"

Koopa
07-19-2006, 11:00 PM
My suggestion on how to resolve these problems?

1) Remove rep numbers. Just let them give comments. That way, no one cares if they get negative rep (because it doesn't affect anything), but the forum doesn't get congested with useless things like "Nice post!"

2) Everyone involved in these childish e-wars needs to just place each other on ignore, and do just that - ignore each other. No more PM's, no more responding to each other. Problem solved.

that's not a bad idea, that's the only reason i like the rep, cause sometimes i don't feel like being a post ***** just to tell someone had a good post, so i just leave them a comment, and i rarely use pms cause it takes to long lol

tony hipchest
07-19-2006, 11:17 PM
as a poster with a high rep count (and i say that modestly) it stands to reason anything i say positively about it would seem self serving, but it does serve more good to the board than the bad that all the bengal trolls would have everyone believe.

i dont really care about rep points, but it is cool to hand them out to a new poster who makes a great post and is getting established on the board. it lets new members know their thoughts are appreciated and serves as encouragement to keep up the traffic. it is more healthy for the site than it is a poison some would lead us to believe.

personally i think 33 pts is alot to get or receive for any one given post. while i would oppose scrapping it all together i would have no problem if all people (except for newbies and trolls) were given equal rep power.

i liked the rep feature long before i even figured out how to see who gave rep or for which posts you were given rep for. at first i actually thought it was an arbitrary thing. i say dont scrap it, but scaling it down a bit wouldnt hurt. (just keep all current points as they are :wink:)

Prosdo
07-20-2006, 12:59 AM
I too like the rep feature. Maybe Koopa's idea of just having comments instead of rep would work. Maybe cut all people's rep power to 1? Something like that.

Hammer67
07-20-2006, 07:46 AM
I too like the rep feature. Maybe Koopa's idea of just having comments instead of rep would work. Maybe cut all people's rep power to 1? Something like that.

No offense to those with high rep points but if they are overly concerned about them then they spend WAY too much time posting in forums! :busted:

Where does everyone get all this time?? My wife already thinks I spend too much time in here!

HburgXL06
07-20-2006, 03:51 PM

Just my 2 cents

The one thing I like about the rep system is that it allows other posters to easily (without sendin a PM) notify a person when they make a GOOD post. I like the positive side of it. Obviously as the system goes if you can build up a person's rep you have to be able to take away from that person's rep in the case that you have a troll or such a person that does not make very wise or assertive posts. However, unlike at cincybengals we don't have two isolated members intentionally tryin to up their rep for no reason. Instead we have some squabbling (sp) members that have taken their fights a lil too far. My guess is that it is because of the off-season allowin us football fans to be so idle we have more time and energy to battle each other over smaller and less consequential issues.

This whole problem would not be so significant if we could trust each and every one of out members to be mature and level-headed in each and every one of their posts but that is impossible to do. The general statement to make is "It is a message board on the internet so therefore because you will most likely never personally meet the people you converse with on this site it should not be taken too seriously or personally."

Some solutions wit pros and cons:

1) More moderators

Pros: With more people overlookin the site problems, trolls, fights, etc. can be recognized faster and more quickly and stopped before becomin worse.

Cons: Creatin new mods will open up the chance of over-moderation and fascism within the site. Being a mod is a subjective and touchy job to do. You must be able to decide what is appropriate or not and be able to take the heat from others who do not approve of whatever decision is made. A mod must be a neutral person that does not allow their decision makin capability to be compromised by any personal or team or any other affiliation. It takes a severely grounded person to be able to make such decisions without falling into the traps discussed above. The more mods that are signed up the greater the possibility of allowin a person in who does not follow any rules but their own or abuses their power at their will. Also, we do not want to create an atmosphere where members need to cower in fear everytime they post an opinion or anythin at all.

2) Remove Rep

Pros: Removin the rep system would prevent members from usin it as a weapon against other posters that they do not like. It also would set all posters at an equal level so that no one could use their rep level as a reason to lord over other posters.

Cons: Without the rep system it would be more difficult for one poster to encourage another about a good post. We would have many posts that would just end up being "Nice Post" or "Good one" or etc. This would lead to threads doubling in page size but cutting in half the actual content of the thread.

The main problem it would appear is not so much isolated incidents of one poster making a snide remark then moving on but rather when two posters chase each other around a forum bickering back and forth in a cat and mouse game that just repeats itself in an overtly cyclical fashion. Forget the "last word" and just drop all of it if you say you are goin to do so. A dead horse can only be beaten for so long. No more arguements over who is more mature or intelligent, if you are either give example of such by your actions on the board and not just by running your mouth of how you are in your posts. We as members have the power to make this the best or the worst place for Steelers talk on the net. If we continue with this trend of fightin it will be a slippery slope. But if we can turn it around and stop the bickering we have the potential to carry this site above all others!

BuFu

Prosdo
07-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Excellent post Hburg. Right now I am liking Koopa's idea. Maybe we could remove the whole points, but allow comments. It seems like this might be the best solution.

Koopa
07-20-2006, 04:12 PM
if you do mine/bbc idea, you'll still have points, just only you can see them in the user cp, kinda like the way we do it at the sports zone, you still have the rep system just no one knows how many points you have lol

tony hipchest
07-20-2006, 06:31 PM

Just my 2 centspost #28

has anyone seen the craphole brian calls his board? are we gonna let that be our standard? it is a board where a thread titled "how i know youre gay" is considered acceptable smacktalk. where they constantly beg for "bengal bucks".

this thread was effectively on topic about pm wars going on. pm wars that brian initiated and perpetuated. everthing discussed by blitz and prosdo were things brian engaged in with suit and myself (although we handled it in our own way without taking it to the mods).

how convinient for brian to turn this thread about his own misgivings into a whole different topic of ridding rep points. the rep points arent the problem. board cancers are. the topic of ridding the board of rep never came up until the bengalfan suggested it.

why get rid of it? so we can be like cincybengals.com????:sofunny: zzzzzzzzzz
should we all have pink tutu's for avitars while were at it?

i ask the mods and admin to do what they feel is right but dont let the ultimate source of the problem call the shots. that will give him a sense of accomplishment he definitely doesnt deserve. if we cant use the neg rep feature to disapprove of a sucky or lame post for fear of someone whining (ive seen brian make a lame post and still cry when negged) then maybe the neg rep feature is what needs to be rid of. if some posters are worried about others becoming too "powerful" then maybe there ought to be a limit on points, or all good posts be worth 1 point, great post-2 points, excellent post 3- points.

there are many options other than just giving in to a troll and letting him feel he has won some little board battle he has been waging for quite some time now. the fact that he is an admin of a board, and that he has drug his own members into this, shows a spineless nature we dont need to give in to or follow.

and that is my 2 cents which is worth a hell of alot more than his pesos.

Lyn
07-20-2006, 08:33 PM
I agree with everything Tony said. The board administrator (s) are the ones to set up the rep or no rep .............NOONE else. We are certainly not going to sink to any other boards level, we will establish our own. This whole subject is a waste of time because in the final anaylsis, it is the board administrator who will make up his mind (s) and I would be very nervous and leery if I so much as had an inkling that a Bengal fan encourgaged or discourgaged his decision.

SteelerzGirl
07-20-2006, 09:59 PM
post #28

has anyone seen the craphole brian calls his board? are we gonna let that be our standard? it is a board where a thread titled "how i know youre gay" is considered acceptable smacktalk. where they constantly beg for "bengal bucks".

this thread was effectively on topic about pm wars going on. pm wars that brian initiated and perpetuated. everthing discussed by blitz and prosdo were things brian engaged in with suit and myself (although we handled it in our own way without taking it to the mods).

how convinient for brian to turn this thread about his own misgivings into a whole different topic of ridding rep points. the rep points arent the problem. board cancers are. the topic of ridding the board of rep never came up until the bengalfan suggested it.

i ask the mods and admin to do what they feel is right but dont let the ultimate source of the problem call the shots. that will give him a sense of accomplishment he definitely doesnt deserve. if we cant use the neg rep feature to disapprove of a sucky or lame post for fear of someone whining (ive seen brian make a lame post and still cry when negged) then maybe the neg rep feature is what needs to be rid of. if some posters are worried about others becoming too "powerful" then maybe there ought to be a limit on points, or all good posts be worth 1 point, great post-2 points, excellent post 3- points.

there are many options other than just giving in to a troll and letting him feel he has won some little board battle he has been waging for quite some time now. the fact that he is an admin of a board, and that he has drug his own members into this, shows a spineless nature we dont need to give in to or follow.

What he said! I would be appalled if anything BengalBrian, or any other Bengals fan for that matter, had to say on this issue is even remotely considered. He always has an ulterior motive.

This is Steelers Fever, not CincyBengals.com. Thank God for that!

Koopa
07-20-2006, 10:45 PM
post #28

oh shit, damn i forgot this was about the pm's, damn bengal fans always f'king shit up......back to topic, ppl complaining about pm's stop being bitches.......and while i'm at it,

ppl stop bitching about threads too, don't open the thread if you don't like it, you know you can hover over the thread title and you can see a preview of what the thread is, and if you don't like what you see don't open, simple as that, stop bugging the mods with petty problems like that (i'm referring to 3tobe4 thread that got closed cause ppl were complaining)

HburgXL06
07-20-2006, 10:52 PM
oh shit, damn i forgot this was about the pm's, damn bengal fans always f'king shit up......back to topic, ppl complaining about pm's stop being bitches.......and while i'm at it,

ppl stop bitching about threads too, don't open the thread if you don't like it, you know you can hover over the thread title and you can see a preview of what the thread is, and if you don't like what you see don't open, simple as that, stop bugging the mods with petty problems like that (i'm referring to 3tobe4 thread that got closed cause ppl were complaining)

I think that this whole problem is rooted in people bein too petty and sensitive. If we can get people to get a thicker e-skin then I think all our problems will be solved.

BuFu

CantStop85
07-20-2006, 10:59 PM
I've got a suggestion...everyone grow some thicker skin. Rep points are just for fun, they really have no bearing on the board, don't get too worked up about them. If you're getting PM's from someone you don't like, don't read the PM's...if you're getting flooded by them, then alert a moderator but don't bug them to death just because someone called you a poopy head.

This isn't a matter that should have to be handled by the moderators and administrators, it's one that should be handled civally between the members of the board.

Overall, I think the rep system is pretty effective...it's always nice to get a few good comments about your posts, especially if you're new to the board. It only gets out of control when you have members who start feuding or certain members who become elitists because they have more rep points than everyone else.

tony hipchest
07-20-2006, 11:14 PM
I think that this whole problem is rooted in people bein too petty and sensitive. If we can get people to get a thicker e-skin then I think all our problems will be solved.

BuFu
:chuckle: "thicker e-skin"

i gotta agree with the 3 previous posts. the rep system is not the problem. no sense in 1 troll getting negged, ruining what has been a good thing for everyone on the whole.

Hawk Believer
07-20-2006, 11:25 PM
Props to CantStop85 for his wise position in spite of recently enduring a thread created to criticize him.

tony hipchest
07-20-2006, 11:30 PM
Props to CantStop85 for his wise position in spite of recently enduring a thread created to criticize him. hey man! take it to the "opposing fans smooching forum"

oh wait... this isnt the blast furnace. j/k

:iagree:

CantStop85
07-20-2006, 11:36 PM
hey man! take it to the "opposing fans smooching forum"

oh wait... this isnt the blast furnace. j/k

:iagree:
lol at least he isn't talking about my e-skin.

The blast furnace is as advertised, you can't take anything too personal in there. If someone disses you, either fire back or leave it alone. Now, when issues are taken out of the blast furnace, that's when it gets out of control. I wouldn't suggest visiting the blast furnace too often if you're easily offended.

There's nothing wrong with talking smack to someone in the blast furnace and leaving it in the blast furnace.

BengalBrian
07-21-2006, 09:33 AM
post #28

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

tony hipchest
07-21-2006, 10:13 AM
:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

polly wanna cracker?

back to your cage now.

BBC
07-21-2006, 10:57 AM
I think it's quite obvious that Brian is just a cancer to this forum. Maybe the solution to the problem is banning trolls that come to visit?

BengalBrian
07-21-2006, 02:31 PM
I think it's quite obvious that Brian is just a cancer to this forum. Maybe the solution to the problem is banning trolls that come to visit?
Most people would not mark me as a troll.. The only ones that do are the ones who smack, but cant handle getting smacked back...

BBC
07-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Most people would not mark me as a troll.. The only ones that do are the ones who smack, but cant handle getting smacked back...

Well then I guess the same thing can be said for those calling me a troll on your site then, eh?

And for the record...a lot of people would mark you as a troll.

Mosca
07-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Keep the ability to give good rep, remove the ability to give bad rep. That keeps the things people like about rep and removes the ability to use rep as revenge.

Overall this board has come back around over the last month or so. It was getting out of hand for a while. There's a really wide age span here, and it's not easy to understand that, not for me nor for some of the young folks. Remember that both the beauty and the curse of forums are that you are judged not by who you are, but by what you write, your ideas. Write moronic stuff and that's what you are, a moron, even if you hold a PhD and teach astrophysics at Princeton. Make your points well and you're a respected forum member, even if you're writing inbetween studying for your 8th grade algebra test.

Tom

BengalBrian
07-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Well then I guess the same thing can be said for those calling me a troll on your site then, eh?

And for the record...a lot of people would mark you as a troll.
No.. You go into threads that have nothing to do with the Steelers and talk your trash.. Find on this site where I have done that consistantly.. IF at all

Start a thread with a poll.. Is Bengal Brian a troll.. If more people say yes than no, I will gladly take a ban without even questioning it

Prosdo
07-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Another good idea. Thank you Mosca. I will pass it along.

BBC
07-21-2006, 06:18 PM
No.. You go into threads that have nothing to do with the Steelers and talk your trash.. Find on this site where I have done that consistantly.. IF at all

I have very rarely, if at all brought up the Steelers when they are unmentioned in a thread. I reply to threads that have bashed the Steelers, and respond to those bashing the Steelers.

Start a thread with a poll.. Is Bengal Brian a troll.. If more people say yes than no, I will gladly take a ban without even questioning it

You can start your fun little thread. I wouldn't bring down the integrity of this site by posting such a useless thread (you know, like one that would read "****IN BAN ME!"?).

BengalBrian
07-21-2006, 06:55 PM
You can start your fun little thread. I wouldn't bring down the integrity of this site by posting such a useless thread (you know, like one that would read "****IN BAN ME!"?).

I wasnt the one suggesting I leave....

Prosdo
07-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Anyway back to the topic of PM Wars they need to stop lol :stickout:

tony hipchest
07-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Anyway back to the topic of PM Wars they need to stop lol :stickout:

ooooh. burn on brian! :chuckle:

i think this thread got off topic right around post #28. :bouncy:

BengalBrian
07-21-2006, 08:26 PM
ooooh. burn on brian! :chuckle:

i think this thread got off topic right around post #28. :bouncy:
And continues to go offtopic with post 75

:rolleyes:

tony hipchest
07-21-2006, 09:29 PM
can i not respond to my boards fine mod (who happened to make the prior post), without an infidel mod stepping in and trying to boost their status and standing? did i do something against the rules?

youre reaching brian... getting desperate.

Jeremy
07-29-2006, 08:07 PM
It reminds me of Bruce Willis' line from the 5th Element.

Lady I only speak two languages, English and bad English.

slashsteel
07-29-2006, 10:15 PM
So sayeth Johnnycomelately. :)

Steelersfan
08-02-2006, 01:00 PM
There's a lot you can do with the rep system by usergroups. You can take away a groups ability to give negative rep until they get promoted to a new group. You could set up a promotion from group A to group B using the rep system. Say once a new member in group A gets to a certain rep level they then get promoted to group B with the ability to give negative rep because they have shown to be a good poster. This way you would make members earn the right to use the system.

Tankus_Maximus
08-24-2006, 11:12 AM
I agree with reducing the amount of rep points you can dish out. Just because someone's been here longer than others, shouldn't give them more "rep power".