PDA

View Full Version : Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley's take

mesaSteeler
02-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley's take

By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Friday, February 10, 2012

New Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley's take on a number of issues regarding his team's offense:

Building his offense around the strength of his players:

"There is a lot of talk of systems in the NFL, offensively and defensively, and I am just a believer offensively that you do what gives you the best chance to succeed. So if your best chance to succeed is to run the ball 63 times a game, then you run the ball 63 times a game. I am not a statistics guy as far as end-of-the-year stats, but I want to protect the football and score points."

His initial thoughts of the players he now has:

"Obviously I am excited about working with Ben (Roethlisberger). He's a player that I just have a great amount of respect for as a competitor, having had to prepare (for him) and watched him take away our hopes and dreams (in Super Bowl XLIII). I'm happy to be on this side of the fence, and it's going to be a good situation. And I am excited about these young receivers that are out there and Heath Miller, one of my favorite players that I have studied and prepared for, and the guys up front. But we have some work to do, and I am just really excited for the opportunity."

The Steelers' wide receivers:

"They aren't afraid to block, they can stretch the field, and they can run, but there is some work to be done. I have done a lot of research on most of the guys, not all, even leading up in other places that I have been. So that is not something that I am concerned with. I think it is a good group that is only going to get better."

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review can be reached at or .

Read more: Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley's take - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_780907.html#ixzz1lymnQJbZ

realdeal
02-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Like how he mentions Heath as one of his favorite players. Many a time, how we have ignored him as a viable weapon!!

3rdandlong
02-10-2012, 10:35 AM
It seems like Haley's mention of Heath is a foreshadowing of him wanting to utilize Heath a lot more

Fire Arians
02-10-2012, 11:49 AM
he says heath as much as tomlin says 'the standard is the standard' lol.

but in all seriousness I knew haley's hire would get heath more involved, the TE has a big role in his offenses.

TRH
02-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Haley even mentioned "the standard" at the beginning of the press conference and i wa thinking "oh, boy...the Steelers forum is going to go crazy......" lol

Bayz101
02-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Really? All I heard was "Umm, ermm, uhh, hmmm, Heath Miller." :chuckle:

wyn50
02-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Who cares how he speaks to the press, as long as he can coach and win. Go Steelers.

Fire Arians
02-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Really? All I heard was "Umm, ermm, uhh, hmmm, Heath Miller." :chuckle:

sounds more intelligent than bruce arians already :chuckle:

madtowndrunkard
02-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Haley has to be drooling over the thought of coaching our offense, given the talent we have. He's never coached an offense with this much talent - top to bottom. You can hear the excitement in his words. I think he sees the potential to be the best offense in the league.

Steel Peon
02-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Like how he mentions Heath as one of his favorite players. Many a time, how we have ignored him as a viable weapon!!
I felt a chill when he said that.......it's like he was thinking to himself (when he was an opponent): "Boy, it's a good thing they're not using that Heath Miller guy as much......he'd be eating us up."