PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor restructure's contract

Bayz101
02-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Posted by Mike Florio on February 10, 2012, 1:17 PM EST

Before dumping contracts and/or forcing players to take pay cuts, the Steelers are willing to give out millions in signing bonuses in exchange for the ability to push cap dollars into future years.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that cornerback Ike Taylor, who signed a four-year deal with the Steelers before the 2011 season, has converted the maximum amount of his $5.75 million base salary for 2012 into a signing bonus. Since the minimum base salary for a player with Taylor’s experience is $825,00, the team was able to give him $4.925 million now.

Read more: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/10/steelers-restructure-ike-taylors-contract-too/

Pentheon
02-10-2012, 02:01 PM
yep just saw this on nfl.com when they posted it....showin the dedication, so far players aren't being selfish

Darkstorm05
02-10-2012, 02:02 PM
That's kind of a surprise move since his contract was pretty new. I wonder if they put out a call for restructure volunteers prior to beginning to volunteer people.

Bayz101
02-10-2012, 02:08 PM
That's kind of a surprise move since his contract was pretty new. I wonder if they put out a call for restructure volunteers prior to beginning to volunteer people.

Timmon's and Woodley both signed there's less than 7 month's ago, to my knowledge.

GMU Steeler
02-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Good on Ike.

plenewken
02-10-2012, 02:21 PM
yep just saw this on nfl.com when they posted it....showin the dedication, so far players aren't being selfish

He gets his money now rather than during the season. It's much better for him, unless I miss something.

kan_t
02-10-2012, 02:29 PM
He gets his money now rather than during the season. It's much better for him, unless I miss something.
Yes, I don't know why lots of people automatically think that the players sacrifice when they hear of contract restructure.

ItalianSteelersFan178443
02-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Every player who signed an extension will definitely restructure their contract in someway, except Ben who will actually sign an extension which will save us money ironically. It is great that Ike did this too. We will have no problem getting back under the cap.

Darkstorm05
02-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Yes, I don't know why lots of people automatically think that the players sacrifice when they hear of contract restructure.

Keeping the terms straight...

Pay Cut - The Team Loyalty Discount(Or the "I want to retire a Steeler Tax")
Cut - The door is to your left...
Restructure - I will gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today...

Curtain_of_Steel
02-10-2012, 03:02 PM
oh stop. Dedication? Unselfishness? It causes no negative effect to the players.

Darkstorm, exactly right. In fact he would've had to wait probably an extra month to get the current bonus, when in fact he gets it now. Play on terminology and accounting.

IKE should've gave us a discount, lol

DanRooney
02-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I really don't like how they're doing this in such frequency. The league is definitely going to take a closer look at what we're doing and probably make restructuring rules soon.

Darkstorm05
02-10-2012, 03:18 PM
I really don't like how they're doing this in such frequency. The league is definitely going to take a closer look at what we're doing and probably make restructuring rules soon.

Unfortunately I have yet to locate any sites offering league wide stats on this sort of thing. However, if you go Google something like "NFL contract restructure", Steelers articles fill up the first several pages of results. I see a few other teams restructuring one or two guys, but we really seem to be throwing down here. Not sure how much the NFL cares, though.

plenewken
02-10-2012, 03:18 PM

The thing I don't know about is the impact on benefits, like NFL retirement, when they replace a big portion of the salary by a signing bonus.
If it's the same, then there's no generosity and unselfishness whatsoever. A bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush.

lipps83
02-10-2012, 03:57 PM

I am sure with the new CBA in place, the NFL and the NFLPA are involved and every single contract is reviewed thoroughly by everybody and their mother, not just the player/agent/team.

Ricco Suavez
02-10-2012, 04:16 PM
I understand this helps the cap but seems a way around league rules. I guess not or Goodell would pitch a fit. As far as players cutting their salaries, I would not expect them too. This is their lively hood and no one twisted the Front Office into making any of the deals. Some deals work out for the management and others do not its the nature. I have always believed a player should honor their contract and do not like when players feel the need to force a team to re-negotiate in the middle of a contract. I also believe a team should honor players contracts in turn.

FrancoLambert
02-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Hey, until the league changes the rules, go with it.
Nothing wrong with doing whatever you can to keep your prime assets.
:tt03:

Ronaldo
02-10-2012, 07:28 PM
We are helping oursevles out right now but putting the team in a worse situation for future seasons.

realdeal
02-10-2012, 08:36 PM
He best re-structure his contract!! After all, he single-handedly lost the Bronco game for us!!

It's to bad he can't restructure his hands as well. Never in my adult life have I seen a so called "shut down" corner have hands of stone.

Bayz101
02-10-2012, 08:38 PM
He best re-structure his contract!! After all, he single-handedly lost the Bronco game for us!!

Let's not forget about what he did for us all season to help get us to that point, and the lack of Ryan Clark in that game didn't help either!

austinfrench76
02-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Ike didn't owe us anything. The guy had and AWFUL day but that's it. He is a shut sown corner. Check the stats. Not having RC hurt is but Ike had a bad day and has made is apologies. Also, he's not really doing us a favor by restructuring. He is just getting his money now instead of later. Go Steelers!

Twentyvalve
02-11-2012, 02:48 PM
The Steelers are doing it - oh they care. Harrison is going to get fined for this one . . .

Unfortunately I have yet to locate any sites offering league wide stats on this sort of thing. However, if you go Google something like "NFL contract restructure", Steelers articles fill up the first several pages of results. I see a few other teams restructuring one or two guys, but we really seem to be throwing down here. Not sure how much the NFL cares, though.

tony hipchest
02-12-2012, 07:24 PM
the league cant change rules against re-structuring contracts. it is impossible until all contracts are guaranteed which will never happen in the nFL.

6RingsAndCounting
02-13-2012, 11:07 AM
I love how easy it is to get around the cap.