PDA

View Full Version : *Update* Report: Steelers will not bring back Ward

Shaner021
02-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Per NFL Total Access: http://sports-kings.com/?p=9607

UPDATE:

Bouchette: Steelers Sources Say No Decision on Ward Yet

Hines Ward isn't the only one who has not heard anything about the Steelers "plans" to release him. Steelers sources told me tonight they have not yet decided anything about Ward's future with the team.

Obviously, there is some conflict somewhere if the NFL is reporting they have decided to cut him. However, the NFL reported two years ago that the Steelers would either trade or cut Casey Hampton. That came during training camp.

Main Source: http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...n-on-ward-yet/
My Source: http://www.steelersxtreme.com/t1923p...-not-returning

Bayz101
02-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Per NFL Total Access: http://sports-kings.com/?p=9607

Oh hell...

Post any other links if you get them.

Bayz101
02-10-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm not seeing anything else on this.

TRH
02-10-2012, 09:46 PM
If its true, wouldnt' surprise me in the least. I've watched others comment on Ward being back for "minimums" and "salary cuts", but i haven't been buying any of it. I've been guessing that he'll be history. We'll see...

Curtain_of_Steel
02-10-2012, 09:49 PM
I think when most of us talked about it, it was a best case scenario. No way he was making his current salary, and we all thought vets min was best he can do.

If not, well Hines thanks for the great years, hopefully you go out on a high note and dont try to hang on to long.

Shaner021
02-10-2012, 09:50 PM
It is on the NFL Blog network now and although I like you reading my bit above, here is the link to the NFL post:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/10/la-canfora-steelers-wont-bring-back-ward/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Thanks for letting me post my link though!

Shane
Twitter: @Shaner021

Fire Arians
02-10-2012, 09:53 PM
not surprising but it will suck seeing ward in another uniform. honestly though I think he should hang it up and call it a career, what else does he have to prove?

fujirama24
02-10-2012, 09:54 PM
That's fine I have 4 steelers season tickets. I will pay for them and when I recieve them I will burn them. If they are going to turn into the raiders then I will treat them like a raiders fan.

Fire Arians
02-10-2012, 09:56 PM
That's fine I have 4 steelers season tickets. I will pay for them and when I recieve them I will burn them. If they are going to turn into the raiders then I will treat them like a raiders fan.

can i have your stuff?

what, should we be the redskins and sign over the hill vets to huge contracts? this is a business, you have to make hard decisions, even when dealing with great players like ward. I hate to see this happen because ward is my favorite steeler of all time, but we gotta look at the situation realistically.

Bayz101
02-10-2012, 09:57 PM
It is on the NFL Blog network now and although I like you reading my bit above, here is the link to the NFL post:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/10/la-canfora-steelers-wont-bring-back-ward/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Thanks for letting me post my link though!

Shane
Twitter: @Shaner021

Thanks for posting, and welcome to SF :drink:

Ronaldo
02-10-2012, 09:57 PM
It doesn't matter where he goes, he is not good enough to see the field anymore. Love the guy but you can't hold on to these guys forever. Ravens are doing the exact same thing with Lewis.

Bayz101
02-10-2012, 10:02 PM
can i have your stuff?

what, should we be the redskins and sign over the hill vets to huge contracts? this is a business, you have to make hard decisions, even when dealing with great players like ward. I hate to see this happen because ward is my favorite steeler of all time, but we gotta look at the situation realistically.

Yeah me too, pwetty pweese? I don't blame them if they don't bring back Ward, the cap situation is horrible, and they can't pay him that kind of money. I wish there was a better way to do this, I really do. But it's a business. You got to do what you got to do. It's either this or suffer a CAP penalty, and then you'd probably be left without a lot more. Hell, this isn't even confirmed by the organization yet.

Darkstorm05
02-10-2012, 10:26 PM
I find it suspect that cutting a legend has zero Pittsburgh media sources verifying the story. So far it looks like the only source is this one NFL network guy. Not saying it's impossible, but I'm waiting for some confirmation on the details.

I mean, we know we want Wallace, Brown, Sanders on board, but that leaves us spots open, and if Ward was willing to take league minimum, why would we not let him?

Bayz101
02-10-2012, 10:32 PM
I find it suspect that cutting a legend has zero Pittsburgh media sources verifying the story. So far it looks like the only source is this one NFL network guy. Not saying it's impossible, but I'm waiting for some confirmation on the details.

I mean, we know we want Wallace, Brown, Sanders on board, but that leaves us spots open, and if Ward was willing to take league minimum, why would we not let him?

Yeah, i'm not buying into it.

Darthslayrr
02-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that the Steelers won’t bring back veteran receiver Hines Ward for a 15th season with the team.

From Bleacher Report

zshelhamer
02-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Link from ProFootballTalk

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/10/report-hines-ward-wont-be-back-with-steelers/

Bayz101
02-10-2012, 11:47 PM
All reports stemming from J.L. of NFL. Still nothing in Pittsburgh, and nothing from the organization.

mesaSteeler
02-11-2012, 12:08 AM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Friday, February 10, 2012
Steelers to cut Ward?
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/
According to the NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora, who apparently has a direct line to head coach Mike Tomlin thanks to his NFL affiliation, the Steelers have decided to release wide receiver Hines Ward rather than pay him $4 million to be the team's No. 4 receiver next season.

There was some thought to cutting Ward's salary, something the receiver was open to, but the Steelers, according to LaCanfora, have decided they have no use for a No. 4 receiver who can't play special teams.

© In other news, the Steelers have restructured the contracts of both Ike Taylor and Lawrence Timmons, moving them closer to getting under the league salary cap of approximately $124 million.

In the past few days, the Steelers have freed up $15 million by restructuring the contracts of LaMarry Woodley, Timmons and Taylor.

They also saved over $3 million on Wednesday with the release of Bryant McFadden and Arnaz Battle.

60_MINUTES
02-11-2012, 12:10 AM
he prob is hearing we will cut ward... but that doesnt mean we wont resign him for vet min... I would be shocked if ward is not brought back... now that all depends on Ward... You got to remember Hines has never played for cheap and nothing says he will do it now... Hines has a bit of that WR argonace in him... always has had a bit of it... this being said Ward may think he will get a decent pay day something like at least 2 or 3 mil a year... once he figures out thats not gonna happen he may come back... its early now so no one really knows.

tanda10506
02-11-2012, 01:53 AM
It doesn't matter where he goes, he is not good enough to see the field anymore. Love the guy but you can't hold on to these guys forever. Ravens are doing the exact same thing with Lewis.

Absolutely wrong. Wards numbers in the first half of the season were equal with Wallaces numbers in the second half of the season. Brown is really good and consistant and I think Cotchery has a lot of good play ahead of him, but the fact is the offense was less productive without Ward, just look at the numbers. Best WR in Steelers history who's first half of the season was as good as our #1 "star" receiver's second half of the season and we dont want to at least offer him vet minimum? Surprised so many players were willing to re-structure their contracts knowing that when they get older they will be dealt with like this regardless of what the numbers show.

QCbeauBlak
02-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Absolutely wrong. Wards numbers in the first half of the season were equal with Wallaces numbers in the second half of the season. Brown is really good and consistant and I think Cotchery has a lot of good play ahead of him, but the fact is the offense was less productive without Ward, just look at the numbers. Best WR in Steelers history who's first half of the season was as good as our #1 "star" receiver's second half of the season and we dont want to at least offer him vet minimum? Surprised so many players were willing to re-structure their contracts knowing that when they get older they will be dealt with like this regardless of what the numbers show.

Not really seeing the correlation between our inconsistent offense in the latter half with Ward not being on the field. Too many factors lead to that offense not getting it done.

The blocking on this team was probably the worst I have seen on any other team in the NFL all season long. The play-calling also had a lot to do with it. We were not running those play-action plays were Hines would find a hole and sit. Either, the line wasn't holding up and Ben couldn't get out the pocket or he was hobbled and was pretty much useless..

I don't think it mattered who was split on the field.

LambertWardSteel
02-11-2012, 02:20 AM
They have to make the smart salary cap decisions but I would surely hate to see Hines play for someone else or not be on the roster. I guess that is inevitable though.I wish he could be kept around like an aging baseball player to pinch hit. Where did those 15 years go? It seems like yesterday we were drafting him.

Kingmagyar
02-11-2012, 07:23 AM
I will always love Hines, but the drop off in his play was so painfully visible. He use to catch a crossing pattern or post and be able to separate but now he is so slow he gets taken down the moment he makes the catch. Could have been an off year for him after being on Dancing with the Stars and no OTAs, but.....

Todd Haley has had a tall receiver on every team he has been with so I assume he will try as the Steelers have been trying the past several years to get that tall target in this year's draft. And with Cotchery maybe back that would put Ward at 6th on the depth chart.

Steel Peon
02-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Until I hear this from the horse's mouth, I don't believe it.

Atlanta Dan
02-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Rust never sleeps - Hines had a great career but after 14 years and 1000 catches it is time

As this ESPN article says it is always tough for pro athletes to say goodbye

"Professional athletes are the only people we ask to die twice," said Dr. John F. Murray, a sports psychologist based in Palm Beach, Fla. "They have to die when they retire, and they have to die when they die.

"We call it 'athletic identity' in literature. If you lose that identity, I mean, your whole life can be over at the age of 30. It's really important to educate these athletes and to get them thinking about making that transition before they get out. The problem is, that's not what they want to do because they're trying to become great."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotread-retire/nfl-players-weigh-pros-cons-retirement

Boomer
02-11-2012, 08:33 AM
I hope this isn't true. Ward deserves one more year.

mesaSteeler
02-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Report Suggests Steelers May Release Hines Ward, Despite Ward's Offer To Take Pay Cut
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/2/11/2791403/steelers-hines-ward-contract-salary-cap-release#storyjump
by Neal Coolong on Feb 11, 2012 5:44 AM EST

The timing of re-emerging speculation about the future of Steelers WR Hines Ward is curious, to say the least.

NFL Network reporter Jason La Canfora recently told the network's "NFL Total Access" show Ward will not be back in Pittsburgh next season, according to his sources.

Ward won't be back for the $4 million he's currently owed for 2012, that's true. Ward has said, however, he's agreeable to a pay cut, and while he'd be "devastated" if he didn't play in Pittsburgh, he still wants to play football.

Amid several Steelers restructuring their contracts to alleviate certain salary cap doom this season, it makes sense to think the Steelers simply haven't gotten to Ward yet. His $4 million salary is certainly out of the team's range, but it makes sense that he would take a reduction to stay as - at worst - the team's fourth receiver going into mini-camp, provided the team would not have the cap room to re-sign Jerricho Cotchery, a player they scooped up last year during training camp.

Sources suggestions that Ward won't be back at all paints a different picture than just salary, though. A team that currently has four receivers under contract - Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Ward - would seem to want to bring more guys in, not get rid of any. And if Ward is willing to go down quite a ways in his price - he isn't likely to get much more, if any, than the veteran minimum anywhere - it seems both sides would be getting what it needs.

If the Steelers simply don't want Ward back in 2012, it would suggest some of the cap room they're trying to create could be used on Cotchery, who, by the end of the year, was taking Ward's minutes as a flanker on passing downs.

Cotchery cannot help in the running game the way Ward can, though. Ward has been utilized in motion, oftentimes lead-blocking on design running plays. It's possible new offensive coordinator Todd Haley and head coach Mike Tomlin no longer wish to use a receiver in such a unique role (Ward is arguably one of the best blocking receivers in the history of the game), thus making Ward's highest and best use expendable.

There is work for a two-time Super Bowl champion and a former Super Bowl MVP, however. He wouldn't last long on waivers. That makes the Steelers' decision even more difficult, as the reported clause in Ward's contract says the team must guarantee him his job by March 1 (not March 13, the start of the league's 2012 year), or release him.

BengalDestroyer
02-11-2012, 08:51 AM
If he doesn't come back - what a shame, what a shame

BKAnthem
02-11-2012, 10:28 AM
If i can recover from the loss of Franco Harris..i can recover from Ward leaving

Steel Boss
02-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Let's not get emotional. We all know it's a harsh business and if they don't think he fits on the team anymore, they have to make that call. It's not like he's being crapped on on his way out. They went out of their way to get him his 1,000 catches, which they certainly did not have to do. The time for sentimentality will be after he's finished, when he comes back for his tributes. The guy is beloved around these parts and that will never change.

FrancoLambert
02-11-2012, 11:26 AM
At best, Hines would come back as the 5th wr and in a very limited role.
Situationally (red-zone and run blocking) I thought he could still be an (albeit limited) asset.
However, if Haley doesn't feel that way it's time for Hines to bow out gracefully.
Sure it sucks, but he shouldn't feel that the Steelers are dissing him if they don't bring him back.
Wearing another uniform to hang on for 1 more year at best would tarnish his career ending image a bit.

sluggermatt15
02-11-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm kind of sad to see him go. Even though he's up there in age, Hines can still make plays and is always a threat on the field.

Ricco Suavez
02-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Hines is one my top 5 fav Steelers. Hate to see his association with the team ends, but this time comes to nearly all great players. I love the players, but I value the organization that is the Steelers more. Decisions like this have to be made for the best of the team. Ward's skills have diminished to the point he is not likely to break into the top four on this team if Cotchery is resigned. If not the team will take a chance on a lower draft choice who can fill in and play a role on Special Teams. I know most of the fans want him to retire a Steeler and look at Hines in a different light than say a Farrior, but in truth its the same situation where age and time has caught up with great players who can no longer demand or ask a premium price for what they can bring each Sunday. Best of luck to Hines on any Gameday other than when he plays the Steelers.

harts
02-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Told you guys this dude needed to hang it up
Steelers have made the decision for him and I bet the decision was made in the middle of last season
Hanging on to these over the hill geezers is what got us a loss to Tebow

better release him a year early then a year late
They did a great job of not extending the contracts of Joey Porter and Alan Faneca

someday in the next year or 2 James Harrison will meet the same fate

LVSteelersfan
02-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Hines Ward is one of my favorite Steelers. It is sad that players get older and can no longer produce. If he really wants to play I am sure some team with lousy WRs will give him a chance. But he is so slow these days, he is no longer useful in a Steelers uniform. It is sad, but it is the way it is. Maybe one of those teams that needs a QB will pick him up : )

sharkweek
02-11-2012, 02:09 PM
well, hopefully he retires, that way the last touchdown we see him score will be for the Gotham Rogues :rofl:

http://mit.zenfs.com/209/2011/12/hines-DKR2.jpg

Bayz101
02-11-2012, 02:09 PM
@ScottBrown_Trib: Hines Ward's representatives have yet to hear from Steelers.

xli...
02-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Looks like Ward went to Facebook to post his thoughts.

https://www.facebook.com/officialhinesward/posts/10150564451675945

ricardisimo
02-11-2012, 04:45 PM
Told you guys this dude needed to hang it up
Steelers have made the decision for him and I bet the decision was made in the middle of last season
Hanging on to these over the hill geezers is what got us a loss to Tebow

better release him a year early then a year late
They did a great job of not extending the contracts of Joey Porter and Alan Faneca

someday in the next year or 2 James Harrison will meet the same fate
Is Ike Taylor the over-the-hill geezer you are talking about? :huh: Or maybe you're talking about Old Man Ben who targeted that fogie Wallace ten times, but connected with him only thrice. :noidea:

tanda10506
02-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Any official word yet on Ward?

Bayz101
02-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Any official word yet on Ward?

Ward himself isn't aware of anything, lol.

Steel_Bus_24
02-11-2012, 06:35 PM
It'll hurt bad if Hines doesn't go out as a Steeler

Bayz101
02-11-2012, 07:56 PM
UPDATE:

Bouchette: Steelers Sources Say No Decision on Ward Yet

Hines Ward isn't the only one who has not heard anything about the Steelers "plans" to release him. Steelers sources told me tonight they have not yet decided anything about Ward's future with the team.

Obviously, there is some conflict somewhere if the NFL is reporting they have decided to cut him. However, the NFL reported two years ago that the Steelers would either trade or cut Casey Hampton. That came during training camp.

Main Source: http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114817-ed-steelers-sources-say-no-decision-on-ward-yet/
My Source: http://www.steelersxtreme.com/t1923p15-update-from-bouchette-according-to-laconfora-hines-not-returning

Ricco Suavez
02-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Just a matter of time before Ben is blamed for this also. Ben demands Haley get him a taller and faster receiver instead of the "old man". After all he is the most selfish QB in the league. God I love sarcasm.

zcoop
02-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Just a matter of time before Ben is blamed for this also. Ben demands Haley get him a taller and faster receiver instead of the "old man". After all he is the most selfish QB in the league. God I love sarcasm.

Naw, it's gotta be Tomlin's fault:chuckle:.

kan_t
02-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Looks like Ward went to Facebook to post his thoughts.

https://www.facebook.com/officialhinesward/posts/10150564451675945
If he only wants to restructure the contract instead of taking a pay cut, goodbye Ward.

NyGiantz
02-12-2012, 12:38 AM
Is Wallace UFA? That might play a huge part. If Wallace comes back you got three really good receivers in Wallace, Brown, Sanders, not to mention Heath Miller. Wallace leaves then its a whole different situation but still sentiment only goes so far in business. Hopefully he retires as a Steeler and doesn't finish his career out as a backup on an losing team(Emmit Smith on Cards, etc.)

madtowndrunkard
02-12-2012, 01:03 AM
The steelers did the right thing with Bettis... they better do the right thing with Ward.

Ward has done everything the right way. He's given the Steelers everything he has and been a class act .... The Rooney's need to make this right and keep Ward. He's willing to take a pay cut. There is no reason we can't keep him.

Bayz101
02-12-2012, 01:26 AM
The steelers did the right thing with Bettis... they better do the right thing with Ward.

Ward has done everything the right way. He's given the Steelers everything he has and been a class act .... The Rooney's need to make this right and keep Ward. He's willing to take a pay cut. There is no reason we can't keep him.

He's willing to restructure, but he's never said he'd be willing to take a cut.

ricardisimo
02-12-2012, 06:12 AM
He's willing to restructure, but he's never said he'd be willing to take a cut.
Evidently not true. Mark Kaloby at the Trib is claiming that he's willing to take a $2M pay cut.

StainlessStill
02-12-2012, 07:51 AM
You know what I find odd? That the Steelers organization were willing to keep Aaron Smith all those years when he should have been cut going into atleast the 2009 or 2010 seasons. Instead, not only did Smith's career pretty much end in 2007, we hung onto his roster spot while he missed season after season with season-ending injuries and surgeries.

With Ward, I think he still has much to offer. I honestly think that the decision is either Ward or Cotchery and the Steelers want to move forward with Cotchery and give him a number before he tests the Free Agent market.

Ricco Suavez
02-12-2012, 08:40 AM
You know what I find odd? That the Steelers organization were willing to keep Aaron Smith all those years when he should have been cut going into atleast the 2009 or 2010 seasons. Instead, not only did Smith's career pretty much end in 2007, we hung onto his roster spot while he missed season after season with season-ending injuries and surgeries.

With Ward, I think he still has much to offer. I honestly think that the decision is either Ward or Cotchery and the Steelers want to move forward with Cotchery and give him a number before he tests the Free Agent market.

I agree but it is a different position. We were thin at Dline men we are deep at the WR position. Also with the roster spots being so valuable the 4th and 5th receiver needs to be able to play special teams. This is about money first, keeping a productive player that can produce in other capacities second. He is a mentor and a coach in uniform, valuable yes, but steelers need help elsewhere.

zcoop
02-12-2012, 09:58 AM

There is a new breed of Rooney in charge now, so things have changed since Bettis' days. I honestly don't know what to expect.:noidea:

casteeler
02-12-2012, 01:14 PM
F*#% this whole thing! The Steelers need to make it work with Ward some how, some way, Ward is easily in the top 3-5 of fan faves for Pete's sake the guy is on the banner at the page!

Black N' Yellow
02-12-2012, 01:39 PM
F*#% this whole thing! The Steelers need to make it work with Ward some how, some way, Ward is easily in the top 3-5 of fan faves for Pete's sake the guy is on the banner at the page!

If he can't play anymore and he can't take a pay cut for the minimum, why should we even bring him back? He's taking up a roster spot we could reserve for another receiver that can get open and make plays.

xbroughneck
02-12-2012, 02:35 PM
I love Hines.

But I'd replace his spot with a 6'3" or 6'4" receiver with hands in a second.

Mike Wallace stretches the field, but is just OK as a route runner and he's got above average hands.

Brown...currently the best overall receiver on the roster. Good route runner, good hands.

Cotchery...sorry to say it folks but Cotchery can do almost everything Hines is asked to do, but probably do it a little quicker out the block. Hines is the better blocker, yes...but we need to get away from the idea that our receivers need to be good blockers. Adequate blocking by a receiver should be fine.

What the Steelers receiving corp doesn't have is good size. IMHO it's the one weakness of the receiving corp. If a guy can't get off his guy, how often can Ben simply count on his receiver to simply out muscle the DB guarding him?

The Steelers almost never have a size advantage at the WR spot. I want that.

steelfury02
02-14-2012, 09:22 AM
anyway to block this dude? lol seriously man what are you hoping to accomplish?

FrancoLambert
02-14-2012, 10:31 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

TAKE A HIKE PAL

Bayz101
02-14-2012, 02:25 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

TAKE A HIKE PAL

:doh:

harts
02-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Is Ike Taylor the over-the-hill geezer you are talking about? :huh: Or maybe you're talking about Old Man Ben who targeted that fogie Wallace ten times, but connected with him only thrice. :noidea:
Old geezers take up roster spots and development time away from others.
Aaron Smith
Hines
SHould not have been on the roster last year

How is the D gonna give up 20+ points to to Tebow.
Cmon man

If Hines was playing in New England this would be a non issue because he would have been gone

Hines is one of my favorites of all time
Pure Grit and a testament to hard work

But cmon man his time is up
And if he stays he hurts the team