PDA

View Full Version : Ward reiterates desire to return to Steelers

mesaSteeler
02-11-2012, 05:50 PM
Ward reiterates desire to return to Steelers

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, February 11, 2012

Hines Ward, in response to an NFL Network report that the Steelers won't bring him back for a 15th season, said he wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh.

Ward, the Steelers' all-time leading receiver, also said he is willing to work with the team to accommodate his return in 2012.

"I don't normally like to respond to rumors, but as I've said all along, I want to finish my career with the Pittsburgh Steelers," Ward said on his Facebook page. "And as I've already told the organization I am willing to work with them to restructure my contract to make sure this happens."

Ward, who turns 36 next month, has two years left on his contract at 4 million per season. His representatives have yet to hear from the Steelers since the NFL Network report surfaced Friday night. Ward, the MVP of Super Bowl XL, has no plans to retire.

Ward holds almost every major receiving record in Steelers history, and he is only the eighth player in NFL history with 1,000 career receptions.

Ward's playing time and production dropped significantly last season, and he lost his starting job in the middle of October to Antonio Brown.

Ward's 46 catches and 381 receiving yards were his lowest totals in each category since his rookie season in 1998.

A third-round draft pick out of Georgia, Ward made four consecutive Pro Bowls from 2002-05. He has gone over 1,000 receiving yards in a season six times and is widely considered one of the best blocking wide receivers of all time.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Ward reiterates desire to return to Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_781227.html#ixzz1m7HEndeG

mesaSteeler
02-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Ed: Ward Knows Nothing About Any Move to Release Him
Saturday, 11 February 2012 16:29
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/114814-ed-ward-knows-nothing-about-any-move-to-release-him

by Ed Bouchette

If the Steelers have decided to release Hines Ward, it's news to Hines Ward.

The NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora, who also works for NFL.com, wrote that, according to his sources, "Ward won't be back.''

However, a source close to Ward said no one from the Steelers has indicated to him the team plans to release him. Ward, who could not be reached for comment, issued a statement on his Facebook page after the NFL report:

"I don't normally like to respond to rumors, but as I've said all along, I want to finish my career with the Pittsburgh Steelers. And as I've already told the organization, I am willing to work with them to restructure my contract to make sure this happens.''

LaCanfora reported that even if Ward took the NFL minimum "he still wouldn't be worth retaining, because No. 4 receivers have to play special teams.''

He wrote that Ward "has one year left on his deal worth $4 million.'' Actually, Ward has two years left at $4 million each.

Speaking to the Post-Gazette Feb. 2 in Indianapolis, Ward said he had met separately with coach Mike Tomlin and Steelers president Art Rooney after the season ended.

"I just wanted to let them know I want to be here, I want to play," said Ward. "I have two years on my contact. I know I have to restructure, but under the circumstances I think I can still play football."

Ward has said many times that he wants to end his career in Pittsburgh but he is determined to play somewhere in 2012, even if the Steelers do not want him. Ward, who turns 36 March 8, has played all 14 of his seasons in the NFL with the Steelers and holds nearly every team receiving record.

---

Steelers executive Omar Khan took himself out of the running for the general manager's job with the St. Lojuis Rams.

The Rams received permission from Steelers president Art Rooney II to speak with Khan last week, but an interview never took place as Khan decided to remain in Pittsburgh.

Khan, 35, has been an executive with the Steelers and their chief contract negotiator for the past 11 years. He was a finalist for the Seattle Seahawks' general manager's job two years ago, and reportedly would be paired as a general manager with Bill Cowher if the former Steelers coach ever returns to coaching.

OX1947
02-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aan

JCPsteelers
02-11-2012, 06:35 PM
I love Hines but its time to move on. If the 49ers can cut Jerry Rice who is the G.O.A.T. than the Steelers should be okay to cut Hines.

I wish Hines well in the future.

sharkweek
02-12-2012, 10:22 AM
I love Hines but its time to move on. If the 49ers can cut Jerry Rice who is the G.O.A.T. than the Steelers should be okay to cut Hines.

I wish Hines well in the future.

Jerry Rice was a very different scenario. IIRC he still wanted to be treated like a starter, and he even proved it with two 80+ rec / 1100+ yard seasons with the Raiders, and even requested a trade from the Raiders when they went on a downslide

yeah, dude definitely had somewhat of an ego, sounds like a lot moreso than Ward. Of course being the far and away best WR the league has ever seen, he kind of earned that right, but still a pretty different scenario/

if Ward is willing to play for pennies to stay with the team and would be willing to stay on in a severely diminished capacity, I don't see why we shouldn't let him. He was already basically bumped to the #5 spot over the course of this season and didn't seem to complain.

Heck, Bettis stayed on in an extremely diminished role just to win a Superbowl, and Ward would be just as capable if not far more valuable than any 5th or 6th WR we have ever had.

Again, it really all comes down to whether or not he'd be willing to take a massive pay cut, and it sounds like he would be.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-12-2012, 11:09 AM
He is getting a little to desperate now, as he feels the gaintlet is coming down.

His position warrants him to play special teams, as I said for weeks, that is not happening with Ward. He can hit, but he would still be on the 5o yard line with the hits would take place.

Time to move on.

Goldsteel86
02-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Not time to move on for Hines, its time for him to contribute, I believe he can contribute to the young WR's, I believe that he can contribute in the Black and Gold, he is what the younger WR's need. Brown, as much as everyone loves him, does not run good routes, Sanders is injury prone and there are no guarantees Wallace returns. I say bring Hines back, let him go out a Steeler, however explain to him what his role will be. Oh and, , I do believe Hines would play special teams if asked I believe Hines would do anything to help this team win, he has his entire career!