PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone replace Jerome Bettis?

DIESELMAN
07-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Better than last season? Why not? First and third-round draft picks replace Antwaan Randle El. Brett Keisel replaces Kimo von Oelhoffen. The top free agent and the second draft pick replace Chris Hope. That leaves Jerome Bettis and his 22 touchdowns from the last two seasons. The only new back is seventh-round pick Cedric Humes. Who?s he?

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/31/315578.jpg

Cedric Humes, the Pittsburgh Steelers? seventh-round draft pick out of Virginia Tech, is a muscular 233-pound tailback who scored 22 touchdown his senior season at Princess Anne (Va.) High School. He could?ve scored 22 touchdowns the last two seasons, too, had he not suffered some bad breaks ? one to his fibula and one to his forearm.

The departure of Kevin Jones in the 2004 draft meant it was ?H-u-u-u-u-u-m-e-s? time at Tech, but the winner of the Super Iron Hokie award broke his left fibula in spring drills. Humes recovered in time to start the season at fullback, but he struggled most of the year. Humes finally emerged in rivalry week when, as a tailback, he rushed for 95 yards and sealed a win over Virginia with a 37-yard touchdown run.

The next game may have been Humes?s best. He rushed for 110 yards on 27 carries in a 16-10 win at Miami. It sparked promise of a big senior season, but Humes broke his right forearm in the sixth game. Thanks to the bye week, and a Tech engineering class, Humes missed only six quarters of action.

Tech was undefeated at the time of the injury, and Humes was averaging 4.2 yards per rush with five touchdowns. Trainer Mike Goforth searched the internet for a way to get Humes back on the field in a hurry, and his search didn?t go very far. The site of the school?s Department of Materials Science and Engineering told Goforth all he needed to know, and he petitioned the professor of the Biomaterials class for a chance to speak to the students. They came up with a brace that protected the plate and six screws in Humes?s forearm.

Humes returned to help the Hokies beat Boston College, but Tech?s undefeated season ended in the ninth game, a 27-7 loss to Miami in which Humes rushed for only 20 yards on seven carries.

Humes finished his senior season on a high note with three 100-yard games in his final four games. He ran a 4.65 40 at the combine and benched 225 pounds 18 times. He ended up dropping in the draft and the Steelers scooped him up in the seventh round.

CEDRIC HUMES Q&A

Q: It says here you?re a two-time Super Iron Hokie. How much can you lift?

A; I?ve squatted 610 and I?ve benched 360. The squatting definitely has helped my legs. That helped me out a lot and I know it did throughout my college career, so I try to keep my legs strong.

Q: Aren?t you a pile-mover?

A: Yeah, and I want to keep it that way.

Q: What about that forearm pad?

A: It definitely worked. They got a direct fit for my arm and put it together. It was like a brace. I couldn?t feel anything. I put a pad over it. I never had any problems with it.

Q: Did you use it when you hit people?

A: Yeah, I used it to my advantage, definitely. Even my teammates wished they had one on each arm after they saw me using that stuff. But it did help me out. I didn?t have any pain even the first game back. No problems at all.

Q: Wasn?t there a pad already in place for that?

A: Yeah, and it kind of worked, but at the same time I guess they wanted to try something new. They talked to the engineering people and a doctor and they all got together and came up with something new. I hear a lot of people are going to start using it.

Q: How much did your broken leg hurt you?

A: I had to go through a lot. That leg, I wanted to believe it was fully healed, but throughout most of that season it really wasn?t. Toward the end of the season it just came along. I got my mental right and at the end of the season I did really well.

Q: The injuries obviously hurt your draft status. Does it all add up to the Steelers getting a good bargain here?

A: I would say. If I?d have had more time, not gotten injured and played more, I definitely would?ve had better seasons. I hate to be talking big about myself, but yeah I would say they got a steal. I?m definitely happy to be here no matter what round I came in because I like the facility; I like the coaches. I?m blending in well. I?m really happy it worked out the way it did.

Q: Considering your size, is it safe to say those injuries were flukes?

A: I guess you could say that. They were like freak accidents, and definitely the weightlifting both before and after the injuries helped me out. My ankle and arm are back to normal.

Q: Are you surprised by this team?s enthusiasm?

A: Yeah. It?s cool. In the NFL, I didn?t know if guys really do get enthused. Here, it seems like it?s definitely a team and they do that stuff to stay together.

Q: You?re lockering next to Duce. Are you guys getting along?

A: Yeah, we?re hitting it off. He?s showing me around and giving me tips.

By: Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Date: Jul 12, 2006

Big D
07-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Better than last season? Why not? First and third-round draft picks replace Antwaan Randle El. Brett Keisel replaces Kimo von Oelhoffen. The top free agent and the second draft pick replace Chris Hope. That leaves Jerome Bettis and his 22 touchdowns from the last two seasons. The only new back is seventh-round pick Cedric Humes. Who?s he?

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/31/315578.jpg

Cedric Humes, the Pittsburgh Steelers? seventh-round draft pick out of Virginia Tech, is a muscular 233-pound tailback who scored 22 touchdown his senior season at Princess Anne (Va.) High School. He could?ve scored 22 touchdowns the last two seasons, too, had he not suffered some bad breaks ? one to his fibula and one to his forearm.

The departure of Kevin Jones in the 2004 draft meant it was ?H-u-u-u-u-u-m-e-s? time at Tech, but the winner of the Super Iron Hokie award broke his left fibula in spring drills. Humes recovered in time to start the season at fullback, but he struggled most of the year. Humes finally emerged in rivalry week when, as a tailback, he rushed for 95 yards and sealed a win over Virginia with a 37-yard touchdown run.

The next game may have been Humes?s best. He rushed for 110 yards on 27 carries in a 16-10 win at Miami. It sparked promise of a big senior season, but Humes broke his right forearm in the sixth game. Thanks to the bye week, and a Tech engineering class, Humes missed only six quarters of action.

Tech was undefeated at the time of the injury, and Humes was averaging 4.2 yards per rush with five touchdowns. Trainer Mike Goforth searched the internet for a way to get Humes back on the field in a hurry, and his search didn?t go very far. The site of the school?s Department of Materials Science and Engineering told Goforth all he needed to know, and he petitioned the professor of the Biomaterials class for a chance to speak to the students. They came up with a brace that protected the plate and six screws in Humes?s forearm.

Humes returned to help the Hokies beat Boston College, but Tech?s undefeated season ended in the ninth game, a 27-7 loss to Miami in which Humes rushed for only 20 yards on seven carries.

Humes finished his senior season on a high note with three 100-yard games in his final four games. He ran a 4.65 40 at the combine and benched 225 pounds 18 times. He ended up dropping in the draft and the Steelers scooped him up in the seventh round.

CEDRIC HUMES Q&A

Q: It says here you?re a two-time Super Iron Hokie. How much can you lift?

A; I?ve squatted 610 and I?ve benched 360. The squatting definitely has helped my legs. That helped me out a lot and I know it did throughout my college career, so I try to keep my legs strong.

Q: Aren?t you a pile-mover?

A: Yeah, and I want to keep it that way.

Q: What about that forearm pad?

A: It definitely worked. They got a direct fit for my arm and put it together. It was like a brace. I couldn?t feel anything. I put a pad over it. I never had any problems with it.

Q: Did you use it when you hit people?

A: Yeah, I used it to my advantage, definitely. Even my teammates wished they had one on each arm after they saw me using that stuff. But it did help me out. I didn?t have any pain even the first game back. No problems at all.

Q: Wasn?t there a pad already in place for that?

A: Yeah, and it kind of worked, but at the same time I guess they wanted to try something new. They talked to the engineering people and a doctor and they all got together and came up with something new. I hear a lot of people are going to start using it.

Q: How much did your broken leg hurt you?

A: I had to go through a lot. That leg, I wanted to believe it was fully healed, but throughout most of that season it really wasn?t. Toward the end of the season it just came along. I got my mental right and at the end of the season I did really well.

Q: The injuries obviously hurt your draft status. Does it all add up to the Steelers getting a good bargain here?

A: I would say. If I?d have had more time, not gotten injured and played more, I definitely would?ve had better seasons. I hate to be talking big about myself, but yeah I would say they got a steal. I?m definitely happy to be here no matter what round I came in because I like the facility; I like the coaches. I?m blending in well. I?m really happy it worked out the way it did.

Q: Considering your size, is it safe to say those injuries were flukes?

A: I guess you could say that. They were like freak accidents, and definitely the weightlifting both before and after the injuries helped me out. My ankle and arm are back to normal.

Q: Are you surprised by this team?s enthusiasm?

A: Yeah. It?s cool. In the NFL, I didn?t know if guys really do get enthused. Here, it seems like it?s definitely a team and they do that stuff to stay together.

Q: You?re lockering next to Duce. Are you guys getting along?

A: Yeah, we?re hitting it off. He?s showing me around and giving me tips.

By: Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com
Date: Jul 12, 2006
great article diesel. I think we passed on jerome bettis replacement when we passed on Lendale white

3 to be 4
07-12-2006, 01:12 PM
yeah, without Bettis it'll be hard for the Steelers to even have a winning record. those 300 or so yards are irreplacable.

Big D
07-12-2006, 01:14 PM
yeah, without Bettis it'll be hard for the Steelers to even have a winning record. those 300 or so yards are irreplacable.
we all know its not the yardage that is hard to replace. Its the short yardage touchdowns and the leadership he had that will be missed

SteelerFanInCA
07-12-2006, 01:30 PM
We should be OK with Duce and Hayes. Players on our squad always seem to step up at the right time to fill vacant holes. No worries on my end.

Jeremy
07-12-2006, 01:32 PM
There are plenty of guys who can step into the leadership gap left by Jerome. And someone one will because that's what happens on GREAT teams.

WWIIOwheelz
07-12-2006, 01:34 PM
That presence.... the guy everyone wanted to make laugh. He will be SO badly missed for that.

On the football field, the Steelers will be fine. Willy is every bit as much of a threat as he was last season, and he will tire defenses out. A fresh power back coming in in short yardage late in the game? That's almost not fair! :) I believe all will be OK, but the runs like the one against Urlacher were simply amazing, and will be missed badly.

nicesteel4life
07-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Yes Great Post Diesalman
I to agree that we will be fine, I truly believe besides the leadership Verron or Duce can cover the short yardage that was given to the Bus last year. Loved Him, going to miss him, but as a fellow poster stated GREAT TEAMS move ON!!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-12-2006, 02:21 PM
I think the answer is that no ONE person will replace Jerome...someone will step in tp fill in as the short yardage Powerback...someone else will step up and fill in as a team leader...and someone else will step up to be an inspiration to the team...What we had in Jerome is virtually irreplacable in one person.

lilyoder6
07-12-2006, 03:38 PM
There are plenty of guys who can step into the leadership gap left by Jerome. And someone one will because that's what happens on GREAT teams.
Great teams overcome obstacles, great teams finds a way to win

augustashark
07-12-2006, 04:39 PM
With the three we have coming into this season, I think we will be just fine. This is the NFL it's all about the QB play! I can say that we are going to be ok there also. Look at Denver last year, had maybe the best running game of anyone in the playoffs, but when they needed a win in the championship game the running game was not working so they look to Jake for help. We all know what happen then!

clevestinks
07-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Jerome was a special player on and off the field. This past championship season Bettis played well when needed against the bears. And a few runs here and there down the stretch. But he was not a huge part of our offense. There were plenty of TD`s that would have been scored with or without him. If anything the 2 yard TD plunges took away from Bens TDs numbers. Off the field I don`t know if we have a player on the roster yet, only time will tell. I would think Troy would be a player to look up to but not very vocal. Any player at any position can learn from watching Hines Ward. I hope Ben has the personality, and it seems he does, to step up and be the captain and be the locker room leader. I don`t think the Bus retiring will effect us on the field. We have speed in Willie. And we have power in Haynes and Staley. Hell Staley should be plenty rested.

HburgXL06
07-12-2006, 05:37 PM
The Steelers are a team in which the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Meanin we don't go out and get every superstar on the map to play but rather get strong performs and team players with the proper enthusiasm and motivation to play. Leadership will be filled and we will move on.

On the field: In order to replace the BUS you need...

A Mack Truck: Duce Staley/Verron Haynes/Cedric Hume

A Mustang: Willie Parker

BuFu