PDA

View Full Version : Another Mock.

Steel Glory
02-13-2012, 02:47 PM
1. Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama

I believe that he is the pick if he is still available. I've seen people try and say Burfict from ASU, but he makes stupid mistakes and let's his emotion get the better of him. For the Steelers ILB is the captain of the defense. James Farrior makes all the calls, and I don't see Burfict being smart enough to put everyone in position.

2. Kelechi Osemele, OG, Iowa State

Like everyone else, I believe that Chris Kemoeatu will not be back with the Steelers next season. Even if he is back, he was benched in favor of Doug Legursky, because he committed too many penalties, many of which were personal fouls. Osemele started at left tackle and has very good size at 6'5 333 lbs. If he can slide into the guard position that would be perfect because by necessity of being a left tackle, he has good footwork and athleticism. The other option here is Kevin Zeitler who is a little bit of a smaller guy but is a road grader.

3. Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma St

Safety isn't much of a need now, but we have Will Allen and Ryan Mundy as backups behind Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark. Both of our starters play a very physical game which has been cause for injury with Polamalu but Clark has remained pretty durable. Martin is a very good safety prospect that the Steelers would be unwise to pass up on. He could be a solid starter with a season or two to learn.

4. Andrew Datko, OL, Florida St

One of the main names I have been hearing for tackle prospects is Zebrie Sanders from FSU. That being said, Datko was the starter at left tackle over Sanders before he suffered an injury. Sanders had been relegated to right tackle duties because Datko was just a better tackle. It's kind of a shame that an injury pushes him this far down but I'm sure pittsburgh wouldn't mind.

5. Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas

At 6'3 217 lbs, Childs would provide a bigger body that can be targeted in the red zone. His sophomore season he had 7 scores and almost 900 yards receiving in a full season. His junior year he started off good as well with 6 TD's and around 700 yards without even playing the last 5 games. However, he hurt his knee ending his junior campaign. His senior year he wasn't the same until late in the season and was overshadowed big time by Joe Adams. He has good body control and some decent speed though. Could be a threat.

6. Akiem Hicks, NT, Regina

Casey Hampton should be back... At least for the 2012 season. There is no true nose tackle behind him. Hicks has a ton of talent. But there are also some concerns when it comes to this guy. He was recruited to play DT at LSU but ended up transferring out of the school... If he gets cleared he can learn behind Casey Hampton and perhaps get some rotational duties on obvious passing downs. He is moving up boards due to his play at the East-West shrine game and getting noticed more.

7. Carson Wiggs, K, Purdue

Shaun Suisham has been serviceable but not altogether trustworthy. I know I wouldn't want him kicking the ball with the game on the line. Wiggs, was 5 for 5 from 40 yards out and finished the season strong with 8 straight field goals. He has a strong leg making a 67 yarder, even though it was only in a spring game.

ItalianSteelersFan178443
02-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Good 1st Rd pick, Hightower would produce immediately and could learn under Farrior to be the next Steeler great for a long time, but with the OL in disarray I think they will take C. Glenn, hoping they take Hightower though. Love Kelechi! He is so strong and very disciplined. If they decided to go with Hightower in the 1st because he is the BPA and figure they will take a chance and hope that Osemele drops than we are immediately back as a great team because 2 glaring holes would be filled. Martin was alright at OSU, he was caught napping so many times and was burned too many times. Maybe a guy like George Iloka would be a better prospect. Datko's stock is dropping quick because he had surgery after the season, but if he is fine for the Combine and okay for his Pro Day, maybe he can show scouts why he was a 1st Rd prospect, but if we can get him than we are immediately better. I am really hoping they do not waste a draft pick on a WR, but with all the Hines Ward drama and them may not being able to resign Cotch, we may have to. Childs is a great WR though, he is great with the short routes and an amazing return man. Not sure who this OT from Regina is, but it is always risky to take a non D-1A prospect. And finally as much as I want Suisham out of Pittsburgh because he has one of the weakest legs in the game and no confidence they will stick with him

Steel Glory
02-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah that seems reasonable. I would be fine with Cordy Glenn in the first and picking up an ILB in the second or third round. Farrior and Foote probably both won't be back and though Sylvester is a fiery player, I don't know if he will be able to start. Which is why I think taking Hightower would be a great pickup if he falls.

On the wide receiver note... They will always take a good prospect. I'm sure after all the news about Ward being released, the Steelers are going to try and find some way to keep him. I don't see Cotchery coming back at all, as I've thought since the end of the season. Childs is just a big strong bodied wide receiver that would complement our speedy receivers well. He can take over as one of the possession guys. Seeing as Tyler Grisham was taken off our practice squad by Denver, Arnaz Battle was released and Cotch is as good as gone, we only have Antonio Brown, Mike Wallace (who could leave as well, though extremely unlikely), Emmanuel Sanders, Hines Ward and Tyler Beiler on the practice squad. They have space to grab a wide receiver so I'll keep mocking one in order for them to keep 5 receivers.

They need a kicker period. Suisham isn't good enough and hopefully they make it happen :chuckle:

Oh and yeah Illoka is also a good prospect. I know Martin did get burned but he made some good plays as well and played up near the line of scrimmage alot. He has good speed but Illoka could replace him in the 3rd round.

Steel Glory
02-19-2012, 05:59 PM
More feedback? :noidea:

Kingmagyar
02-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Starting to hear Cordy Glenn OG could be gone by the Steeler's pick so taking Hightower may just be for the Steelers the best player available and is becoming a more accurate prediction for them. I still would take Glenn because we need a solid G on this team now.

Love Zeitler or Osemele in the 2nd although most mocks I've seen recently have both gone by the time the Steelers pick. Let's hope it is not true and we land one of these 2 in the 2nd round or finding a guy that can start right away may not be possible this season which would cause a lot of problems.

in the 3rd we need to have a starting NT and there still should be some available at this point like a Josh Chapman or Jean Baptiste. A safety can wait one more year.

The level of quality receivers jumps dramatically by taking one in the 4th rather then waiting until the 5th.
The Steelers seem to like WRs that have a ton of production in college no matter how small the school.
The Steelers will need more O lineman in this draft but not sold on Datko with his injury history in the 4th at all.

i like a lot of the mid round linebackers in this years draft. If we didn't take Hightower in the first we may find a good one even as late as the 5th round. I don't think we would find a good NT or O lineman ready to start as easily as a linebacker though.

Steel Glory
03-16-2012, 04:06 PM
This mock is pretty old now... but Greg Childs ran a sub 4.4 40 yard dash and had a 40.5 inch vertical at his pro day. After weighing in at 6'3 and 220 lbs. Someone will probably go grab him in the 3rd now even though he hasn't had production. :coffee:

Dalarin
03-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Linebacker is DEEP in the draft. Guard is pretty good this year too but we need to make sure we don't miss out on linemen when they are available. I don't like Hightower but we won't get into that for a 3rd time. The only linebacker I would take with that pick is Luke but he's going to go top 20 without a doubt. Personally I say we trade to 20 and grab Cordy but reality would hit me like a truck if I expected that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Datko is going to slide a lot further. Medical question marks are gonna push him to the 5th or 6th. Zebrie Sanders is tanking in post season evaluations, so dont read into the FSU O lineman hype.

I too like the idea of looking at a NT in the 3rd like Hebron Fangopu or Jean Baptiste. Chapman might go higher. Otherwise, I like the first 2 picks and Greg Childs if he falls that far.

Kingmagyar
03-17-2012, 08:07 AM
I think Hightower will be the best available and most teams picking from say 12-23 all could use interior O lineman so Glenn is probably gone.

The 2nd round is key to acquire a Guard if we want a day 1 starter. Zeitler, Osemele, Silatolu, Washington. We must get someone. If they start to go we should even trade up a bit to make sure. Would take Osemele as a Left Guard.

The 3rd round is where I think the Steelers would have to take Greg Childs if they want him. The guy is truly underrated except by scouts.

Markelle Martin would be nice in the 4th if going after Childs in round 3.

I won't rule out Datko but I think the Steelers like their tackles bigger unless they stumble across a blue chip Left Tackle in the top ten or something. I see a guy like Alex Hurst, OT, LSU Height: 6-6. Weight: 340. being more versatile to them as he can move around the line and dress on game days. Probably can be taken in the 5th-6th round as well and could end up being the starting G on the right side opposite hopefully Osemele.

Lots of questions on Akiem Hicks. From IQ to work ethic. Absolutely no numbers on the guy. Level of competition is weak. Too risky even for a 6th round pick. I actually think Nicolas Jean Baptiste who is getting no pub at all could very well be there at 5 or 6. Even Josh Chapman earlier might be an option.