PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012

mesaSteeler
02-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Steelers' Mendenhall might not be ready for 2012
Monday, February 13, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers are not counting on Rashard Mendenhall being able to play in 2012 because of his ACL surgery, and it appears they will not sign any of their own pending free agents before they hit the open market on March 13.

Those were two revelations general manager Kevin Colbert offered during an interview today at the Steelers facility on the South Side.

Among others:

He confirmed that no decision has been made on whether Hines Ward will be back with the Steelers in 2012.

The Steelers "have work to do" to get under the mandatory NFL salary cap by March 13, which is the beginning of the new league calender and the start of free agency.

They want to try to keep Mike Wallace "here for the long run." Wallace, their leading receiver last season, will become a restricted free agent March 13.

Some big names could be out before training camp starts. "When you've had success . . . anybody who has been part of our team and you have to release them, it's always difficult."

The Steelers saw this problem with the salary cap coming for awhile and "knew we'd have to make adjustments," Colbert said. He called them "serious issues."

"What our team will be at training camp? I don't know what it will be."

Colbert did not say that Mendenhall would not play in 2012, but "I never feel good about an ACL for a year." Mendenhall had surgery on his knee in January after it was injured in Cleveland Jan. 1.

Even with the availability of Mendenhall in question, Colbert said they do not necessarily have to bring in another running back.

"No more than we are for any other position. Our young backup contributors did a nice job" in 2011.

He mentioned Isaac Redman as a back who has "established himself as an NFL running back." He also noted rookies John Clay and Baron Batch and second-year back Jonathan Dwyer.

Colbert said they likely cannot sign any of their own free agents before March 13 because of their position in the salary cap. It does not mean, however, they will not sign any of them after March 13.

That potentially means that Wallace will become a restricted free agent and another team could sign him. The Steelers, though, will almost surely offer him the high tender that would bring them a first-round draft pick if another team signed him and they did not match it and keep him.
First published on February 13, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12044/1209944-100.stm#ixzz1mIiZ7DWV

ItalianSteelersFan178443
02-13-2012, 04:40 PM
It hurts us that a lot that Mendenhall will not be ready, but I do not think it changes our plans. I still think they will avoid taking a RB in the draft because after seeing what Redman brought to the team was great and now he can get to see some more extended playing time, all this news means though is that we need to look for or develop a great backup for Redman. Clay needs to show what he has and Batch needs to rebound from that injury too, but in the end I think we should be fine without Mendenhall.

Fire Arians
02-13-2012, 04:53 PM
It hurts us that a lot that Mendenhall will not be ready, but I do not think it changes our plans. I still think they will avoid taking a RB in the draft because after seeing what Redman brought to the team was great and now he can get to see some more extended playing time, all this news means though is that we need to look for or develop a great backup for Redman. Clay needs to show what he has and Batch needs to rebound from that injury too, but in the end I think we should be fine without Mendenhall.

http://vimeo.com/34266645

looks like batch will be ready to play to me. this video was taken in december

FrancoLambert
02-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Redman and hopefully Batch (pans out) become the bulk of the rotation.
I'm assuming we will finally have a "true" FB who can contribute ( as a blocker, receiver....anything would be an improvement).
Hold off on assuming Clay can make a siginificant contribution. He didn't play enough.
Can't believe we'll be looking for a RB in the draft and maybe early.

Fire Arians
02-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Redman and hopefully Batch (pans out) become the bulk of the rotation.
I'm assuming we will finally have a "true" FB who can contribute ( as a blocker, receiver....anything would be an improvement).
Hold off on assuming Clay can make a siginificant contribution. He didn't play enough.
Can't believe we'll be looking for a RB in the draft and maybe early.

i wouldn't necessarily be against taking a running back, but if we do, i hope it's in round 3 or later. We NEED offensive line before we think running back. A great line can make average RB's look great. A shitty one can make a great running back look bad (unless it's barry sanders but that's once in a generation talent)

lipps83
02-13-2012, 08:44 PM
I had ACL reconstructive surgery in December after a tear in October. Still have swelling on my knee and my range of motion is still junk. It comes as no surprise that he might not play in 2012.

60_MINUTES
02-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Damn... Mendy... I know he is not a fav around the chat boards...and I dont think he is anything great but I do think he is better then what we think... Give him a year or two under Todd H and we may just be saying holy shit look at this guy all of a sudden... After the ACL though Im just not sure... either way its not good for the Steelers... or Mendy this year unless Batch can come back strong and be the back we hope he can be for us... Damn Mendy thats a bad deal......

60_MINUTES
02-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Damn... Mendy... I know he is not a fav around the chat boards...and I dont think he is anything great but I do think he is better then what we think... Give him a year or two under Todd H and we may just be saying holy shit look at this guy all of a sudden... After the ACL though Im just not sure... either way its not good for the Steelers... or Mendy this year unless Batch can come back strong and be the back we hope he can be for us... Damn Mendy thats a bad deal......

:dualies: :crutches:

Millers the sh!t
02-14-2012, 01:23 AM
Hampton too

TRH
02-14-2012, 07:08 AM
they're not even sure he'll play at all in 2012...

Whodis
02-14-2012, 07:31 AM
I think it's time to part ways with Mendenhall

steelfury02
02-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Could be the beginning of the end for Mendy. If he cant bounce back - his wheels fell off more often and more quickly than FWP.

LayingTheWoodley56
02-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Jeez, not play at all in 2012? It must be pretty severe.

Look though, Mendy is an okay back at this point, nothing more, nothing less. His running all this season was pretty flat, and Redman in my eyes was simply far more effective when he was in there. 17 carries for 121 yards in a playoff game ain't nothin' to f*ck with, especially when it's only your third start.

Plus, one of the best plays in recent Steeler history has to be Issac in Baltimore two seasons ago, ripping out of tackles into the end zone to give us the W. That was some seriously determined running on his part, and he ran the same way whenever he was given the opportunity this season. It should at the very least be an open competition in camp, and now with this injury news on Mendy it looks possible that Redman could take the job outright. I for one would be in favor.

Kingmagyar
02-14-2012, 09:38 AM
And he may not be in a hurray to get back in there either. If he re-injures the knee in a contract year it could jeopardize his future earning in the NFL.

or
Redman and others could excel and the Steelers do not re-sign Mendenhall, really making that 08 draft look terrible: Mendenhall, Sweed, Bruce Davis, Tony Hills.

or
We could maybe sign him before the season even starts for a much lower contract then if he was healthy.

The decision the team makes on him and how the year goes will be very interesting.

The other Running Backs on the roster now:

Isaac Redman
Jonathan Dwyer
John Clay
Barren Batch
Chad Spann

Chad Spann -2010 MAC Offensive Player of the Year
Height: 5 ft 8 in Weight: 198 lb

Northern Illinois
College statistics

Year Att Yards Avg Long TD
2007 11 61 5.5 14 0
2008 88 429 4.9 55 8
2009 179 1,038 5.8 79 19
2010 258 1,388 5.4 79 22
Career 536 2,916 5.4 79 48

The Steelers may draft another but it would be late in the draft.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Cut him soon as its cap benefitial. There is no point in keeping him on the orster, spending the added cap space if we don't need too.

Steel Peon
02-14-2012, 10:11 AM
*Yawnnnn*.........Oh, what's that? A player that means nothing to the team might not be back? Aw damn.......Farewell Mendy.......I barely knew ye........and that's just the way I liked it.

Write this one down though.........2012, the year of the Redman.

mesaSteeler
02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
If Mendy can't come back it will impact our draft. We will need more than just Redman.

60_MINUTES
02-14-2012, 08:32 PM
*Yawnnnn*.........Oh, what's that? A player that means nothing to the team might not be back? Aw damn.......Farewell Mendy.......I barely knew ye........and that's just the way I liked it.

Write this one down though.........2012, the year of the Redman.

\
I love Redman.... but he is not the answer man... he is a perfect second back for the 1 2 punch... I agree mendy has not been a top 5 back in the NFL or anything like that but make no mistake about it the guy has good skills.. under a good O scheme with a good O coord and a ****ing full back Mendy might would have just kicked some ass... this injury though will make it just about 0 percent chance he stays with the Steelers IMO... I think someone wll over pay for him next year and it wont be us...

What was Matt Forte before Mike Martz???? average RB then under mike he becomes one of the best all around backs in the league... aka Marshall Faulk... its the coaches man... they mean everything in this league.. give them talent they make them HOF players...

Steel Peon
02-16-2012, 08:31 AM
What was Matt Forte before Mike Martz????
It's funny you should've mentioned him because that's exactly who Mendy reminded me of..........him and Thomas Jones. Both of them showed decent potential at first, but now I personally feel kinda meh about them.......just like Mendy. I don't think any of the 3 are a constant threat the way Ray Rice or Jones-Drew are. I'd mention Adrian Peterson, but he's been hurt most of the year. Maybe I just haven't been paying much attention to Forte lately, but he's bores me just the same as Mendy and Jones.

OX1947
02-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Mendy is the perfect running back physically. Can do it all. However, there is something mentally keeping him down. Dont know what it is but its very dissapointing.