PDA

View Full Version : Jerricho Cotchery hopes Steelers offer him a multiyear contract

tony hipchest
02-14-2012, 12:18 AM
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/02/former_jets_player_jerricho_co.html

In the past year, Jerricho Cotchery has adopted two infant sons, scored the touchdown that forced overtime in a wild-card playoff game and dressed in his first professional uniform other than the Jets.

Now, the receiver is hoping to sign a four- or five-year deal to play out his NFL career with one team. And he wants that team to be the Pittsburgh Steelers.

After seven seasons with the Jets, Cotchery, wide receiver, rerouted to Pittsburgh on a one-year contract last summer. He will now be a free agent and said returning to western Pennsylvania would be “the ideal situation” — though he understands the Steelers’ salary-cap constraints.

“In exit meetings (with the Steelers), it was pretty much stated that they were very pleased with me, who I was on the field and off the field,” Cotchery said today at TEST Sports Clubs in Martinsville, which has newly partnered with Parisi Speed School. “I’m everything that they thought I would be, so from their standpoint, they definitely would want me back. And I expressed the same desire, so we’ll see what happens.”

it is worth noting that the jets locker room fell apart after crotchsniffer left, and many on the jets side think that he was the veteran glue that held things together. i know some steelerfans dont believe that is a valuable trait in regards to hines ward, but jerico's value may be more than what can be measured in statistics.

Cotchery is happy with his decision to move on last summer, speaking highly of both the Steelers organization and the “mind-blowing” quality of teammates in the locker room. He is now training at TEST, along with other NFL players, until free agency in March and the start of teams’ offseason programs in mid-April. Physically, he believes he can play four to five more years.

4 years for 10-12 mil is probably a bargain, and he might actually accept that, especially if there are incentives for playing time. it would be great stability and insurance for any of our other 3 wrs leaving (=leverage).

he may hold hines fate as a steeler in his hands

MACH1
02-14-2012, 12:31 AM
I don't know, with a new oc it could set him back 2-3 years. Then he'd be to old and his only reason for existing would be for padding his stats. :rolleyes:

tony hipchest
02-14-2012, 12:53 AM
I don't know, with a new oc it could set him back 2-3 years. Then he'd be to old and his only reason for existing would be for padding his stats. :rolleyes:good point. he should go to the colts. he's already a year ahead of the learning curve, and in 2 years he will be on the same wavelength of arians genius.

= superstar!

he'll be the next marvin harrison or reggie wayne, while the likes of pierre garcon are still trying to catch on to arians 7 year plan.

CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

StainlessStill
02-14-2012, 01:32 AM
I love Cotchery and for this team to move forward in unknown territory with cap issues (which means parting way with old faces) then they should have a serious thought about bringing Cotchery back. I believe his presence can be a valuable one within this young core and has MUCH more to give than a 36 year old Hines Ward. I love Hines but as a per business proposal, I hope we keep Jericho and officially pass the torch and go younger in all phases while maintaining a veteran that can still play at a high level.

Millers the sh!t
02-14-2012, 01:33 AM
I like him... I hope he sticks around.

I also have a feeling we won't be seeing Wallace in the black and gold anymore.

Fire Arians
02-14-2012, 02:10 AM
i like cotch, i hope he gets resigned

ebsteelers
02-14-2012, 08:38 AM
would really like that.

why do people think wallace is a goner?

steelers re-sign their own.. they will get something done

steelfury02
02-14-2012, 09:19 AM
count me in the crowd that could just as easily see Wallace gone. Not saying he will be - and not sure what exactly he is seeking $$$-wise - but if it is top money - you'd hope they 'd be able to negotiate it down - if not, in that scenario, he is gone.

All he needs to do is take a look at what locker-room cancer/underachiever Santonio Holmes is getting for 2 mediocre to sub-par seasons in a row + the baggage he carries and that could be a tipping point. He produces more and whines less so "why not me?" right?

He very well could be back and yes, they made him a top priority - but I can't see him staying for a third contract. Hines has been the exception to just about every Steeler WR we've had since Stallworth/Swann

Kingmagyar
02-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Jerricho Cotchery had 41 catches with the Jets his last year and no team in the league apparently offered him more then the veteran minimum he signed with the Steelers for. Coming off a 16 catch season last year, are teams going to be even more interested in him somehow? As long as the Steelers offer him a multiyear deal even at like 1.5 million a year he will sign. He won't get 4 years 10-12 million to be a 4th WR.

He may leave however to be a 3rd WR somewhere else.

LayingTheWoodley56
02-14-2012, 10:31 AM
I like him... I hope he sticks around.

I also have a feeling we won't be seeing Wallace in the black and gold anymore.

I see us bringing Wallace back. We have a great core of recievers, and though Brown is gaining on him Mike is still the best one. Like is said above me, we usually take care of our own players when their young and still the best option we have (i.e. Woodley, Polamalu, Ike this past offseason) and let guys whose best days are behind them like Peezy go when its time. I see Wallace back, even though I know its not impossible that he isn't.

As for Cotchery, give him a 2-3 year deal. Injuries are always a factor and I'd be shocked if Brown/Wallace/Sanders don't miss a few games between them this season that would bump Cotch up on the depth chart. He really made some big plays for us at the end of last season, especially that TD in Denver. Good locker room guy, good tough player, I say we hang on to him.

Kingmagyar
02-14-2012, 10:47 AM
The key will be keeping Wallace this year. The salary cap will probably go up 18 million or more in 2013 and with more veterans leaving the Steelers we should then have the money for all the young money family at Wide Out. Maybe a contract designed to count against the cap this year less then in the future.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Cotchery 4 to 5 years? 10-12million? I don't think so.

He is a 3rd wr on this team at best. But I dont htink he is even a 2million dollar man.

Edman
02-14-2012, 11:15 AM
As far as it stands for Wallace, he's #2 behind Antonio Brown. In just one season Antonio Brown became the "man" as he was voted team MVP.

Fire Arians
02-14-2012, 11:43 AM
As far as it stands for Wallace, he's #2 behind Antonio Brown. In just one season Antonio Brown became the "man" as he was voted team MVP.

not as a WR. he is the MVP also because of his contributions on special teams

Curtain_of_Steel
02-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Right on FireArians...

2 entirely different types of position players.

Millers the sh!t
02-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Who knows... Maybe the saints release colston and sign Wallace. He'll be right at home...
Plus with that ultra pass happy productive offense, maybe he'll get that 2K yards he's got his sites on.

DanRooney
02-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Bargain? I've never seen a #4 receiver make that much money.

tanda10506
02-14-2012, 02:08 PM
not as a WR. he is the MVP also because of his contributions on special teams

Yeah he pretty much passed Wallace up at WR too, Wallace only played the first half of the season, he was MIA the second half of the year.

I think we will keep Wallace but if Wallace goes and/or Ward goes then we have to keep Cotchery. He is a vet but he has a lot of years left and I liked what we saw from him this year.

tony hipchest
02-14-2012, 04:24 PM
way too many people are assuming he would be signed as the #4.

If hines and wallace are gone, and sanders gets hurt. crotchsniffer would be the #2. Years ago, we signed cedric wilson for 2 mil per. the price for quality wideouts has gone up since then.

plus according to ben, any new wr who steps in will be set back 2-3 years.

its just common business folks. think of what a #3 wr in the spread offense is gonna cost in 4 years. if anyone thinks teams can get a quality nickle corner to cover them for less than 2 mil, they are sadly mistaken. point is, everyone needs to step back and take a look at the direction the league is going. you cant keep asking a million dollar a year wr to consistantly beat the other teams 4 million dollar per year cb.

not everyones gonna come at what fans think is the "right price" or for vet minimum.

Steel Boss
02-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Jerricho Cotchery had 41 catches with the Jets his last year and no team in the league apparently offered him more then the veteran minimum he signed with the Steelers for. Coming off a 16 catch season last year, are teams going to be even more interested in him somehow? As long as the Steelers offer him a multiyear deal even at like 1.5 million a year he will sign. He won't get 4 years 10-12 million to be a 4th WR.

He may leave however to be a 3rd WR somewhere else.

I was thinking this too. But then again again, last year you had the lock-out and the condensed free agency period, and I think Cotchery was released kind of late. So there might not have been a chance for a market to develop for him.

I doubt there will be a significant market for him, so I'm hopeful the Steelers could get him back. Then again, all it takes is for one team to step up with more money or a bigger role. So while, I think there's a chance he comes back, I'm hardly banking on him.

Fire Arians
02-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah he pretty much passed Wallace up at WR too, Wallace only played the first half of the season, he was MIA the second half of the year.

I think we will keep Wallace but if Wallace goes and/or Ward goes then we have to keep Cotchery. He is a vet but he has a lot of years left and I liked what we saw from him this year.

Wallace was drawing the #1 cb from every team and double coverage a lot more than brown. Brown surpassed him later because he had a lot more 1on1 matchups because most teams were making sure wallace didnt burn them

steeltheone
02-14-2012, 04:50 PM
9 Million is to much.....We could improve the team in so many other ways with that money.......With a franchise QB, even an average wideout looks good.

Fire Arians
02-14-2012, 04:52 PM
9 Million is to much.....We could improve the team in so many other ways with that money.......With a franchise QB, even an average wideout looks good.

who knows, maybe having the fastest WR in the game is actually a curse, it makes ben more inclined to go for it all every other play, as opposed to taking what the defense will give him

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-14-2012, 05:03 PM
way too many people are assuming he would be signed as the #4.

If hines and wallace are gone, and sanders gets hurt. crotchsniffer would be the #2. Years ago, we signed cedric wilson for 2 mil per. the price for quality wideouts has gone up since then.

plus according to ben, any new wr who steps in will be set back 2-3 years.

its just common business folks. think of what a #3 wr in the spread offense is gonna cost in 4 years. if anyone thinks teams can get a quality nickle corner to cover them for less than 2 mil, they are sadly mistaken. point is, everyone needs to step back and take a look at the direction the league is going. you cant keep asking a million dollar a year wr to consistantly beat the other teams 4 million dollar per year cb.

not everyones gonna come at what fans think is the "right price" or for vet minimum.

4 years, 10 million and just hope he can pick up the offense in less than 3 years. He can be that veteran guy that is good in the room and not cost $4million a season.

Bayz101
02-14-2012, 05:22 PM
I'd love to have him back, he's a valuable asset.

FrancoLambert
02-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Cotchery is a solid receiver. On the depth chart of a team he's an asset.
As for Wallace, we should try to keep him if $$$$ possible.
Although, does Ben connect enough with him?
Blazing speed for sure but slightly overthrown or underthrown balls come to mind; I can't remember many instances of a "perfect throw" hitting him "in stride."
Wallace is a weapon for sure, I hope Haley gets the chance to use him.

Millers the sh!t
02-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Cotchery is a solid receiver. On the depth chart of a team he's an asset.
As for Wallace, we should try to keep him if $$$$ possible.
Although, does Ben connect enough with him?
Blazing speed for sure but slightly overthrown or underthrown balls come to mind; I can't remember many instances of a "perfect throw" hitting him "in stride."
Wallace is a weapon for sure, I hope Haley gets the chance to use him.

I remember a few beautiful passes but halfway through the end of last season (injuries, or lack of practice) Ben was definitely over/under throwing. Sometimes 3+ times a game. It became obvious and hard to watch. They need to get on the same page and start getting a playaction the defense has to respect in order for Wallace to be worth $$$

6RingsAndCounting
02-15-2012, 07:35 PM
If Wallace leaves, then I think we have to sign him.

Bayz101
02-15-2012, 07:48 PM

Definitely.

finesward
02-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Wallace was drawing the #1 cb from every team and double coverage a lot more than brown. Brown surpassed him later because he had a lot more 1on1 matchups because most teams were making sure wallace didnt burn them

And how many dropped passes/TD's did wallace have? Plenty

Brown got his opportunities and made just about every catch humanly possible. If I had to choose between signing wallace this year and brown walking next year or letting wallace go this year for a 1st rounder and keeping brown next year I'm going with the latter all day.

Wallace is one injury away from losing his only asset, which is his speed. He isn't physical, and it showed last year when opposing D's were easily getting in his head. You can say it's because he was drawing a #1 cb, but he was open plenty and just flat out not making the plays when he had the ball hit his hands. He is the willy parker of WR's, lets get something out of him before his wheels fall off.

tony hipchest
02-15-2012, 09:47 PM
exactly what games was wallace not making plays in where the ball was in his hands? i remember one big time drop (actually the ball touched the ground when he went down), and thats about it.

a memory refresher would be greatly appreciated.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2012, 10:23 PM

Wallace aint leaving. they will offer him a tender that brings a 1st round pick as compensation, and if anybody offers him a contract, the Steelers have a right to match it.

Not many teams will want to trade a 1st round pick on a Restricted FA receiver, when there are lots of Unrestricted FA receivers on the market like DeSean Jackson, Vincent Jackson, Reggie Wayne, etc.

BKAnthem
02-15-2012, 10:38 PM
He may not have Wallace's speed or Browns youth...But he is every bit the receiver either one of them is...He's a difficult cover for any corner and he runs excellent routes...

Bayz101
02-15-2012, 10:43 PM
He may not have Wallace's speed or Browns youth...But he is every bit the receiver either one of them is...He's a difficult cover for any corner and he runs excellent routes...

I agree. He reminds me of a younger Ward, +speed.

fujirama24
02-16-2012, 12:02 AM
If Wallace is signed somewhere else then cotthery would be welcomed back big time. Another reciever I wouldn't mind bringing in if wallace is gone is Robert Meachem from the saints he can go deep and wouldn't cost that much. I again think we have to sign wallace but just thinking of backup plans if he gets signed to a deal we can't match.

Bayz101
02-16-2012, 01:31 AM
1. Mike Wallace
2. Antonio Brown
3. Jerricho Cotchery
4. Emmanuel Sanders
5. Hines Ward or late draft pick

Bayz101
02-16-2012, 01:33 AM
exactly what games was wallace not making plays in where the ball was in his hands? i remember one big time drop (actually the ball touched the ground when he went down), and thats about it.

a memory refresher would be greatly appreciated.

Only one game comes to mind, and that was Cleveland in week 15. Besides that, he pretty much made big play's every Sunday.

6RingsAndCounting
02-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Only one game comes to mind, and that was Cleveland in week 15. Besides that, he pretty much made big play's every Sunday.

The thing that bothers the hell out of me is when he looks like he doesn't care, which was obvious against cleveland. and he never attacks the ball.

tony hipchest
02-16-2012, 06:27 PM
im sure wallace cared deeply about getting hines his 5 balls vs cleveland.

Bayz101
02-16-2012, 06:27 PM
The thing that bothers the hell out of me is when he looks like he doesn't care, which was obvious against cleveland. and he never attacks the ball.

He almost expects Ben to throw the ball on the mark every time, and when he doesn't, Mike just gives up.

tony hipchest
02-16-2012, 06:30 PM
randy moss of old gives up. ive never seen mike act like randy moss.

Bayz101
02-16-2012, 06:35 PM
im sure wallace cared deeply about getting hines his 5 balls vs cleveland.

Nope, pretty sure he just had a bad day. Cotchery, Miller and Brown all caught more passes than him that game. Even Johnson caught a pass :chuckle:

I don't think Hines's quick passes took away from Wallace.

One bad game statistically (in a game that didn't matter) out of 16 is pretty damn good. I do think he gave up on a lot of catches this year. One's that he could of reeled in, but he's still a 1,000 yard receiver.

Bayz101
02-16-2012, 06:43 PM
randy moss of old gives up. ive never seen mike act like randy moss.

Some could say that's because he's full of himself. He's had a knack for giving up. But he's also has a knack for running his mouth, and that Wallace does have. Wallace benefits from his speed, Moss benefited from his height and athleticism. Wallace may not have given on plays this year like Moss did in his career, but he certainly seemed careless at points this season.

He opened up the season with a promise of 2,000 yards receiving. Nothing wrong with confidence, but you have to at least surpass the previous years receiving total's :doh:

Listen, I love Wallace's speed and big play abilities, but that's about it. I've never taken a liking to his attitude. I think he's going to be looking for some money, and if the Steelers get in a bidding battle to keep him, he'll be gone quick.

6RingsAndCounting
02-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Listen, I love Wallace's speed and big play abilities, but that's about it. I've never taken a liking to his attitude. I think he's going to be looking for some money, and if the Steelers get in a bidding battle to keep him, he'll be gone quick.

I don't like his attitude at all either. He seems lazy to me, and apparently has never learned to high point a ball. I really started to dislike him when he tweeted "People are funny to me, think I give a **** about they fantasy team"

Him and Pouncey's attitudes both annoy me

austinfrench76
02-18-2012, 06:14 PM
I think this would be a big loss. Mainly because Hines is gone and who knows if Manny Sanders is fully healed. Thta injury could come back and we would be 1 play away from playing Tyler Grisham as our 3rd WR! Saying that, I don't think we can afford to sign him so it's going to be a tough situation. We'll see...

Bayz101
02-18-2012, 06:20 PM
I think this would be a big loss. Mainly because Hines is gone and who knows if Manny Sanders is fully healed. Thta injury could come back and we would be 1 play away from playing Tyler Grisham as our 3rd WR! Saying that, I don't think we can afford to sign him so it's going to be a tough situation. We'll see...

Well first, the Steelers have said there hasn't been a decision on Hines yet, pretty much dismissing the cut rumors. As for Sanders, he played in the Broncos game, and he has an entire off-season to heal up completely if he is indeed not 100%. And thirdly, Tyler Grisham play's for the Broncos now, he's no longer on our practice squad.

finesward
02-18-2012, 10:05 PM
He dropped the 4th down pass in the Super Bowl, and shortly after starting begging for a flag instead of being a BOSS and going up and making the damn catch, contact and/or good coverage be damned. Since then his attitude has taken a plunge into the likes of desean jackson, and that is not someone I want in black and gold. He dropped plenty of passes this past year that were catchable, some in the end zone, and one huge one against denver. He let the 49'ers D completely get in his head, starting with the scrap at the coin toss and ending with him getting blasted after a catch for a short gain. He was useless in that game.

Cotch showed he could muscle up against san fran when wallace couldn't. I don't see why we would break the bank to not let a guy like that go for a 1st rounder when we let santonio, our best wr back then, go for a 5th. Plax, santonio, and now wallace. This is nothing new, and I don't suspect we will do anything different for him. He wants big money, they will let him walk. Buh bye wallace. Bring on Brown and that extra 1st rounder :)

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-18-2012, 11:29 PM
He dropped the 4th down pass in the Super Bowl, and shortly after starting begging for a flag instead of being a BOSS and going up and making the damn catch, contact and/or good coverage be damned. Since then his attitude has taken a plunge into the likes of desean jackson, and that is not someone I want in black and gold. He dropped plenty of passes this past year that were catchable, some in the end zone, and one huge one against denver. He let the 49'ers D completely get in his head, starting with the scrap at the coin toss and ending with him getting blasted after a catch for a short gain. He was useless in that game.

Cotch showed he could muscle up against san fran when wallace couldn't. I don't see why we would break the bank to not let a guy like that go for a 1st rounder when we let santonio, our best wr back then, go for a 5th. Plax, santonio, and now wallace. This is nothing new, and I don't suspect we will do anything different for him. He wants big money, they will let him walk. Buh bye wallace. Bring on Brown and that extra 1st rounder :)

He droped the 4th down pass in the Super Bowl??? You need to re-watch that play REAL CLOSE there was no way that Mike could have caught it...Larry Fitzgerald would have not made that catch

Bayz101
02-18-2012, 11:37 PM
He droped the 4th down pass in the Super Bowl??? You need to re-watch that play REAL CLOSE there was no way that Mike could have caught it...Larry Fitzgerald would have not made that catch

Bull! I watched the play. It's the same damn catch Santonio Holmes made to win the Super Bowl in '08. Same jump, same reach. Also, if you watch real close, it should have been pass interference on Green Bay.

finesward
02-19-2012, 07:08 AM

http://i42.tinypic.com/2roiyo7.jpg

Meh, you see what you want...I see a ball hitting Mike Wallace in the hands and him letting a bit of contact jar it loose.

Bayz101
02-19-2012, 07:09 AM
http://i42.tinypic.com/2roiyo7.jpg

Meh, you see what you want...I see a ball hitting Mike Wallace in the hands and him letting a bit of contact jar it loose.

And, as I said, it's similar to that of Santonio's game winning catch. Some fan's see what they want.