PDA

View Full Version : Name the Steelers Wideouts in 2012-2013 season

ebsteelers
02-14-2012, 09:02 AM
1) A. Brown best wide out we have
2) M. Wallace i think we get something worked out with him, seems like a lot of people here think he is a goner... but with so many other questions at wr i think we need to lock em up
3) E. Sanders can he stay healthy?

4) J. Cotchery he wants to be a steelers, and steelers want him 4 year deal? good vet leader also
5) H. Ward he wants to be here, needs to take a major pay cut down to vet minimum, still has value though, blocker leader, can still catch the ball- last year though...

6) a drafted wr 5th round gem

that first 3 some of recievers could be very dangerous with heath milller and big ben running the show with haley calling plays.

seems like we have alot of question marks at wide out,

only sure thing is brown and heath miller at te..

steelfury02
02-14-2012, 09:12 AM
1. Brown - I knew he had the skill - but the way he upped his game this season, he to me is well on his way to passing up Wallace as #1 threat
2. Wallace - Wallace has some competition with Brown for being the go-to guy, and he is the type of player that needs to stay on his toes. He absolutely needs to improve his route running (and I'm partially convinced that he wasn't coached up enough this past season) and blocking
3. Sanders - yes, he needs to stay healthy. We can't have the same situation we've had since Super Bowl XLV. We need at least 3 healthy WRs consistently so we can get chemistry and a rhythm going on offense. Having to constantly bring up a combo of the rest of the receivers to fill the void will not produce a higher scoring offense.
4. Cotchery - To me, has a chance to move up to #3 receiver if Sanders proves he can't stay on the field down the stretch as the games become bigger
5. Ward or draft pick - I love Ward, he needs to stay for leadership qualities alone. Plus - I'm the type of person that isn't 100% willing to move on to a new pup after the old one fades. See Bettis and more recently, see A. Smith. I think it would be a hard argument to make that Ward's roster spot is any more of a waste than what took place with Smith. All emotions aside - Ward will figure out soon enough that he won't see the field with a competitive team, and he will never be better than a #3 WR on a mediocre - bad team. His lack of speed and separation alone could land him on the bench anywhere. Better to go with the "evil" you know.
6. draft pick - obviously the Steelers have shown they have gone to the lower rungs for ST contributions. Who knows - could find another diamond in the later rounds as you said

Kingmagyar
02-14-2012, 10:10 AM
People don't think the Steelers are going to take a Wide Receiver in this year's draft, but they have been wanting a tall guy for years and with the uncertainty of Wallace and Sanders health I think they will take one by the 4th round. And with other spots on the roster having to go toward either a extra tight end, fullback or running back, the team probably only keeps 5 wide receivers.

Wallace
Brown
Sanders
Cotchery
Draft pick - like Marvin McNutt or Brian Quick

i'd rather have Cotchery then Ward. The team was throwing Ward 2 yard passes to get his 1.000 catch. He can not play the game anymore.He averaged 8.3 yards a catch last year. Ward may be kept but he may not make it out of training camp.

FrancoLambert
02-14-2012, 10:29 AM
:tt04: :tt02: :tt: :tt03:

1) Brown - our best overall receiver
2) Wallace - his speed kills but he needs to battle more for thrown balls, when he's contested he tends to give up a bit and I got tired of his "waving for a flag routine"
3) Sanders - if healthy, as good a #3 as you can find
4) Cotchery - not afraid to go over the middle, good hands and a real pro
5) Hines - in a very limited/specific role (run blocking and red zone and influencing the others can still contribute IMO)
6 draft a big target - we need one, all of our receivers are on the small side

fujirama24
02-14-2012, 03:08 PM
1. A Brown
2. E. Sanders
3. H. Ward
4. Free Agent
5. Late round draft pick
Wallace is gone if you can't see the writing on the wall then heck. I hope not but I can't see him back. He is going to get a big offer from another team and we won't be able to match it.

Corey_J
02-14-2012, 04:00 PM
1. M Wallace....In the offense we will run we need a burner for the deep threat. NONE better than this guy !
2. A Brown.....Will be a huge part of the offense this year. Could be MVP for second year in a row.
3. J Cotchery ..... His physical skills will be utilized in the slot for runs and 3rd downs.
4. E Sanders......... Dont think he will be healthy to much ( hasnt been so far)
5. H Ward......Hes going to be here for moral support and great PR
6. DRAFT PICK........4th round....University of Wisconsin - Nick Toon ! Strong, fast, great hands and can block his ass off !

60_MINUTES
02-14-2012, 09:45 PM
1. Wallace... wait til you see this guy with a real o coord boys... you think he is just a deep threat lol.. turn the TV on this year and enjoy... he will be a steeler
1.a Brown... I dont think there is any difference in these two guys we have two number ones and should pay for both of them... we may never be able to pay for a number one RB but oh well
2. Sanders... yes he needs to stay healty but he may be the most crafty guy we got
3. Jeroico Cr.... we need to bring this guy bck
4 Ward bring him back bet min

ebsteelers
02-15-2012, 10:01 AM
if wallace signs else where?

we get a first and 3rd round pick?

fujirama24
02-15-2012, 10:04 AM
if wallace signs else where?

we get a first and 3rd round pick?

No that's the old rules. The new rules are we only get a first. I really belive someone like the bears at 19 or even new england at 31 are going to be willing to give it up for wallace. It is hard to find guys who have speed and good hands and he has shown both.

ebsteelers
02-15-2012, 11:06 AM
please not new england...

the bears i could live with ...

then we get a dt and o line men in the draft? this will be an interesting month.. would love to see him back just with money and speed its hard for him to take less.

if he was a possession guy it would be one thing.. but as he gets older the speed will slow

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2012, 11:47 AM
People don't think the Steelers are going to take a Wide Receiver in this year's draft, but they have been wanting a tall guy for years and with the uncertainty of Wallace and Sanders health I think they will take one by the 4th round. And with other spots on the roster having to go toward either a extra tight end, fullback or running back, the team probably only keeps 5 wide receivers.

Wallace
Brown
Sanders
Cotchery
Draft pick - like Marvin McNutt or Brian Quick
i'd rather have Cotchery then Ward. The team was throwing Ward 2 yard passes to get his 1.000 catch. He can not play the game anymore.He averaged 8.3 yards a catch last year. Ward may be kept but he may not make it out of training camp.

I like this option myself. Might not be Cotchery, but another veteran free agent.....its gonna take either 2-3 year to learn the system though. :rolleyes:

60_MINUTES
02-15-2012, 01:16 PM
I dont think we lose Wallace but i say if we do and its to the pats then that is very bad...but I will say this if we do lose him to someone like the bears and we get a 19 pick for it ?? well due to the fact we have brown and sanders and we would then resign crochery for sure... I dont know if that is the end of the world or not... we could get OT or guard and a NT or something in the first round.. maybe ILB or another O line in the second round... I tell you what man either way looks good and should be fun to watch

MDSteel15
02-15-2012, 04:30 PM
The Steelers keep 6 WRs on the roster every year. They WILL release Hines Ward but I think they sign him back for the minimum!!! So here it goes...

1 Mike Wallace
2 Antonio Brown
3 Emmanuel Sanders
4 Jericho Cotchery
5 With early mid round draft pick: Marvin McNutt Iowa 6-4 215 4.52 or Nick Toon Wisconsin 6-3 220 4.50

5/6 Hines Ward

6 With later round picks: T.J. Graham North Carolina St. 6-0 180 4.35 or Wes Kemp Missouri 6-4 220 4.46 or Greg Childs Arkansas 6-3 217 4.55

Kingmagyar
02-15-2012, 04:55 PM
I've been hearing about the 2-3 years to learn the system stuff, but Andy Dalton did pretty well in Cincy and he and AJ Green were rookies. Cam Newton threw for 4.000 yards with a new system for all and the 49ers did alright with a new system from Harbaugh and no one had OTAs or minicamps. I think Haley's offense will be a lot less complicated then the many formations Arians threw out there.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2012, 06:47 PM
I've been hearing about the 2-3 years to learn the system stuff, but Andy Dalton did pretty well in Cincy and he and AJ Green were rookies. Cam Newton threw for 4.000 yards with a new system for all and the 49ers did alright with a new system from Harbaugh and no one had OTAs or minicamps. I think Haley's offense will be a lot less complicated then the many formations Arians threw out there.

Taking 2-3 years to learn is a joke. Watch how many WR's change teams in free agency this year and tell me its gonna take them 2-3 years to learn a system.

Hey, is Early Doucet a free agent this year?? Wouldnt mind seeing him in training camp.

tony hipchest
02-15-2012, 07:09 PM
moss, plax, TO, ward,and chad johnson (for vet minimum of course). :chuckle:

only bruce arians offense takes 2-3 years to learn, and that is just for the players who have already mastered it. the mad uber-scientist's offense is more complex than learning to read, write, and speak mandarin chinese.

and to think our offense was just a year or 3 removed from greatness. when the next coordinator and our offense lead us to 3 sb's everybody will say "yes, but they did it with arians' players".

as for wr's im gonna play devils advocate and say wallace is gone. 3 years ago, with like the 128th selection in the draft the patriots took brandon tate. with the 129th selection, the steelers select mike wallace. the pats wont miss out again.

'ill say we have brown, sanders, cotchery, ward (or another low priced vet) and a rookie (perhaps the kid from baylor).

most likely we have wallace in place of ward and a lower round rookie.

skinart82
02-15-2012, 10:36 PM
I dont think we lose Wallace but i say if we do and its to the pats then that is very bad...but I will say this if we do lose him to someone like the bears and we get a 19 pick for it ?? well due to the fact we have brown and sanders and we would then resign crochery for sure... I dont know if that is the end of the world or not... we could get OT or guard and a NT or something in the first round.. maybe ILB or another O line in the second round... I tell you what man either way looks good and should be fun to watch

this

ricardisimo
02-16-2012, 03:41 AM
1. A Brown
2. E. Sanders
3. H. Ward
4. Free Agent
5. Late round draft pick

Wallace is gone if you can't see the writing on the wall then heck. I hope not but I can't see him back. He is going to get a big offer from another team and we won't be able to match it.
Exactly. I cannot believe how many people have Wallace slated to play here next year. The Steelers are scurrying just to get under the cap with Wallace's rookie contract. How do people think they can fit in his next mega-deal?

I don't see Cotchery being that free agent, but it's much more possible than Wallace staying.

MDSteel15
02-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Why are you worried about the salary cap any ways? All they do is pay a luxury tax for going over! The Cowbitches and Deadskins have been doing it gor years!!! It would be a first for the Rooney's but hey, :noidea:

Kingmagyar
02-16-2012, 09:19 AM
I think there is optimism for Wallace to stay because the cap will be going up so high in 2013, so the Steelers just need to survive this year, but the key will be keeping Wallace with a Restricted offer or having a multiyear contract where the salary cap hit this year would be low as often the case with a new contract.

If they do lose Wallace they may just have to draft 2 Wide Receivers in this years draft and they probably would get two good ones with an extra 1st round pick they could probably land a

Michael Floyd or Mohamed Sanu early and Nick Toon or Brian Quick mid round. There would be some growing pains to get up to speed losing Wallace though.

Early Ducet is a free agent as well.

ebsteelers
02-16-2012, 09:21 AM
wow greg childs would be a nice late round pick... he has all the potential in the world... big, fast, strong..

i know he was banged up a bit at arkansas though.