PDA

View Full Version : 9.4 million reasons the Steelers won't tag Wallace

mesaSteeler
02-15-2012, 07:12 AM
NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
9.4 million reasons the Steelers won't tag Wallace

There has been some supposition that the Steelers will simply slap the franchise tag on wide receiver Mike Wallace rather than risk losing him as a restricted free agent.
Teams can begin placing the franchise tag on players Feb. 20.
Here are the franchise numbers for 2012:

Quarterback $16.1 million
Running Back $7.7 million
Wide Receiver $9.4 million
Tight End $5.4 million
Offensive Line $9.4 million
Defensive End $10.6 million
Defensive Tackle $7.9 million
Linebacker $8.8 million
Cornerback $10.6 million
Safety $6.2 million

As you can see, the cost to franchise Wallace would be $9.4 million, much too much for the salary cap-strapped Steelers to add to their cap.

But remember, the free agent market at many positions - including wide receiver - is ridiculously deep this year.

In other words, why give up a first-round draft pick to sign Wallace when you can sign DeSean Jackson, Wes Welker, Stevie Johnson, Dwayne Bowe or Marques Colston instead?

TRH
02-15-2012, 07:18 AM
I won't be surprised. Wallace and his agent are fully aware of the gobs and gobs of money that will be thrown his way. He's not going ot sign with us for less and i'm convinced we're not going to franchise him either. If we do, you can forget signing Brown too....he's going to get a boatload of money too.
You just can't sign them all. Its impossible and there's only so much "restructuring" that can be done.

steeltheone
02-15-2012, 07:49 AM
We have never broke the bank for wideouts and don't expect it to start now.

steelerchad
02-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Wallace was extremely lack luster in the back half of last year. He may have cost himself some $'s IMO. The Steelers will wait and see what the market bears. I'm actually concerned the Ravens may make a run at him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Wallace will get a high tender unless they get a long term deal done with him. He will be a Steeler next year or the Steelers will get a 1st round pick for him. I dont think anybody should be too concerned about it.

So we know that next season there will at least be Wallace, Brown, Sanders and Miller as receiving targets. Pretty good options for Ben.

pittpete
02-15-2012, 10:49 AM
. I'm actually concerned the Ravens may make a run at him.

Haaa, letem they'll have no one underneath with him and Smith going deep every play

steeltheone
02-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Boldin can run underneath or long and his numbers have suffered since going to the Ravens.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-15-2012, 11:26 AM
A high tender is 2.7million. That is nothing for Wallace. For someone to sign him, its a 1st round pick, again, thats nothing to sign him if your giving up a 20 or higher pick. You won't replace him with a late 1st rd pick as they won't go WR as that would be stupid, if that you shouldve signed him if we dont sign him first.

Forget about the 9.4mill, most of the time its to buy time to negotiate a better deal, he wont get a contract with a 9.4mill avg. but he will get a 5-6million a year frontloaded offer sheet. Meaning, he will get a 5-7year contract worth about 40million, 12-15million upfront, with a 10million 1st year deal salary. Thats a cap hit of 11-12million year 1 and a workable/cap friendly deal for years 2-6. The avg being 5-6million over the life is no big deal, the frontloaded deal kills the Steelers. Someone will do this.

So than the Steelers mind says cool, let him go, we get get our NT and OL in the 1st rd, lol. All that is great, except Ben will have Brown an oft injured Sanders to throw too, Miller will still be pass protecting.

kan_t
02-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Rooney said that he's the top priority. I'm sure the Steelers have a plan to keep him. I'm not worry.

Steelerfreak58
02-15-2012, 11:38 AM
I think we are pretty deep at the WR position. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing Wallace go it would take the Al Davis "GO DEEP" mentality out of the mind of BB hopefully. We did much better when we were mixing short pass, run, and PA passing (See 1st half of Patriots, Seahawks, Titans games).

Don't get me wrong I would love to keep Wallace around but I think WR's are a dime a dozen in the league and we have other really good ones available.

I really think this whole 25 million over the cap is getting blown way out of proportion. Colbert said it yesterday they knew things were going to be this way for a couple of years. They have a game plan to nail things down from what it looks like.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-15-2012, 11:43 AM
There is no doubt the cuts are coming. My point was, a frontloaded deal would make it tough to swallow in the Steelers FO.

I disagree on Wallace though, his speed even on crossing routes is dangerous. Those routes are getting better and better. If Ben was healthy Wallace probably would've had a better 2nd half. It wasn't all on Wallace.

Bayz101
02-15-2012, 02:34 PM
"If it come's down to it, we'll franchise cap him."

Hopefully that put's an end to that ridiculous statement, I was getting tired of hearing it.

6RingsAndCounting
02-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Haaa, letem they'll have no one underneath with him and Smith going deep every play

With Cam Cameron as the offensive coordinator, Wallace would be a non factor

lloydwoodson
02-15-2012, 06:40 PM
I don't see the Pats or Ravens going after him. They already have offenses centered around star players. A first round pick is a lot to give up. I am sure Colbert would make both first round picks count. If Holmes was let walk Wallace is no different.

tanda10506
02-15-2012, 08:42 PM
The Pats will go for him and that is my number one worry. If they dont want to break the bank for him and he asks them to, then I am fine with them letting him go, but not to NE. Rooney said it is his top priority to sign Wallace so he kind of looks foolish if he doesnt, so I am thinking that Wallace will be back. If not, oh well, as long as he doesnt go to NE. It would be nice to lock up Wallace and Brown over the next 2 years, but we absolutely have to lock up one of them. The day of not ever giving a WR top money is over, Ward is gone or will be at the end of the year and this offense will not be succesful juggling WR's like we used to, this league is requiring good WR's to be succesfull. IMO I think Brown is a better all around WR and a better long term investment, but if Wallace starts playing 16 games he might turn out better than Brown, who knows. Cant wait till the decisions are made!

Bayz101
02-16-2012, 12:38 AM
The Pat's WILL go after him if given the opportunity. It's a no-brainer.

ebsteelers
02-16-2012, 08:24 AM
BAYZ im dying to know...

what the hell is in your signature?
hhahaha its extremely amusing lol

pete74
02-17-2012, 05:02 PM
We dont have enough cap room to frachise him. We cant risk throwing that on him then not being able to work out a deal before the start of the season. The only way we will even come close to having the 9.4million we would need to franchise him is if we cut some key players like Harrison or Troy and thats not happening.

Fire Arians
02-17-2012, 05:05 PM
BAYZ im dying to know...

what the hell is in your signature?
hhahaha its extremely amusing lol

todd haley is a huge fan of high powered offenses and oral sex (and heath miller) :chuckle:

FrancoLambert
02-17-2012, 07:14 PM
todd haley is a huge fan of high powered offenses and oral sex (and heath miller) :chuckle:

What a coincidence, so am I.
:toofunny:

finesward
02-17-2012, 08:05 PM
A high tender is 2.7million. That is nothing for Wallace. For someone to sign him, its a 1st round pick, again, thats nothing to sign him if your giving up a 20 or higher pick. You won't replace him with a late 1st rd pick as they won't go WR as that would be stupid, if that you shouldve signed him if we dont sign him first.

Forget about the 9.4mill, most of the time its to buy time to negotiate a better deal, he wont get a contract with a 9.4mill avg. but he will get a 5-6million a year frontloaded offer sheet. Meaning, he will get a 5-7year contract worth about 40million, 12-15million upfront, with a 10million 1st year deal salary. Thats a cap hit of 11-12million year 1 and a workable/cap friendly deal for years 2-6. The avg being 5-6million over the life is no big deal, the frontloaded deal kills the Steelers. Someone will do this.

So than the Steelers mind says cool, let him go, we get get our NT and OL in the 1st rd, lol. All that is great, except Ben will have Brown an oft injured Sanders to throw too, Miller will still be pass protecting.

Except it allows us to sign a vet guy in cotch. Brown sanders and cotch with ward #4 or maybe grisham finally cracks the roster. Point is it makes the team better off long term. I think we have shown gem wrs can be found later in the draft. Bye wallace it was fun. His attitude at the end of last year was the clincher for me. He was rattled and looked like he was regressing.

A better run game will solve any problems left by wallaces absence. More balanced play calling

Curtain_of_Steel
02-17-2012, 08:12 PM
OHHHHHH a better run game subplants Wallace? Ok, well first we need to sign 2-3 Oline man, at a cost of about 120million over 5 years. Than hope Redman can handle the bulk. That has got to be one of the more dumb posts as of late.

but wait there is more:

Than we can add in Cotchery and WARD? Because Ward was so great last year, lets hang on to him longer right? Neither of which can run have Wallaces speed, but of course we have Brown right? You dont think double teaming Wallace the 2nd half of th eyear aided in Browns dominance? Come on.

they better have a better plan than yours if we lose Wallace, because saying we can run more, isn't going to cut it with KEMO, Colon and Legursky on the line.

finesward
02-18-2012, 06:17 AM
OHHHHHH a better run game subplants Wallace? Ok, well first we need to sign 2-3 Oline man, at a cost of about 120million over 5 years. Than hope Redman can handle the bulk. That has got to be one of the more dumb posts as of late.

but wait there is more:

Than we can add in Cotchery and WARD? Because Ward was so great last year, lets hang on to him longer right? Neither of which can run have Wallaces speed, but of course we have Brown right? You dont think double teaming Wallace the 2nd half of th eyear aided in Browns dominance? Come on.

they better have a better plan than yours if we lose Wallace, because saying we can run more, isn't going to cut it with KEMO, Colon and Legursky on the line.

With the cap space we save and the 1st round pick we gain it opens up all sorts of options to bring in 2 if not 3 SOLID lineman making what was a weakness a STRENGTH. With our current line we have serviceable backups to step in when called. Losing wallace could finally give us that consistent O-line we have all been screaming for since hartings retired.

But wait it gets better...

With Wallace gone defenses look to shut out Brown, who showed us last year he could not be guarded with single coverage. That leaves manny sanders open to take his place as the guy who dominates. You somehow forget that he was drafted AHEAD of Brown. They like what this guy can do, and he has shown he is just as reliable. IF he stays healthy. This is what you will likely bring up next so lets just say he doesn't exist...

Cotchery IS a viable WR to this team. He is tough as nails, a vet guy in the locker room, he can make the tough crossing routes, blocks as good as anyone, and will be able to handle the full load like he did against SF this past year.

Ward can still play, but not every down, and certainly not at his current salary. I like him coming in during situational football, run 5-6 yards and find a place to sit in the zone. This may or may not happen, but to me it's one of those roster spots that you would waste on a 3rd QB or something. He may not even dress unless there is an injury. At vet min I would bring him back one more year in the bettis role.

And with the O-line finally solidified with the departure of wallace one man who has largely been forgotten, the man who many on the team claim has the best hands of them all, the man who could finally get his just desserts....HEATH MILLER finally no longer has to be a lineman, along with another TE they draft in the later rounds, roam free causing mismatches galore. Sure we may lose a homerun hitter but we gain an advantage in size letting our TE's free to catch.

So yes, being able to run the ball effectively with a better O-line. (personally I think it doesn't matter who is running, no names step up all the time in this league) and Ben being able to survey the field and stay healthy will make this offense better than it would be with wallace. You would rather have the homerun threat, and ben peaking over his left shoulder every other play before he gets hammered 5 times a game be my guest.

And I'm the one who is dumb... ok :) :thumbsup:

FrancoLambert
02-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Cut whatever you can to keep him. Borderline contributors have to go. End of the line vets have to go.
I hope and believe these things will happen.
Can't see Art II / Colbert handing the offense to Haley without one of its most dangerous assets.

Navy86
02-18-2012, 10:38 AM
But remember, the free agent market at many positions - including wide receiver - is ridiculously deep this year.

In other words, why give up a first-round draft pick to sign Wallace when you can sign DeSean Jackson, Wes Welker, Stevie Johnson, Dwayne Bowe or Marques Colston instead?

Uhh, bcause he's better, that's why!!

Wallace > Jackson because he actually is a team player.
Wallace > Welker because he is a deep threat.
Wallace > Johnson because he's not full of himself and is much more mature.
Wallace > Bowe, well, maybe not, but it's close.
Wallace > Colston because he is younger, faster, and a better deep threat.

Teams may not want to give up a 1st, but remember, there are only so many quality WRs and more teams that need them.

PeRK82
02-18-2012, 11:19 AM
RAVENS will take him. :thumbsup:

sharkweek
02-19-2012, 12:36 AM
RAVENS will take him. :thumbsup:

yeah but who will throw to him?

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-19-2012, 01:09 AM

:chuckle:

pete74
02-19-2012, 03:57 AM

that elite QB who wants top 5 money. LOL

ricardisimo
02-19-2012, 05:33 AM
Wallace will get a high tender unless they get a long term deal done with him. He will be a Steeler next year or the Steelers will get a 1st round pick for him. I dont think anybody should be too concerned about it.

So we know that next season there will at least be Wallace, Brown, Sanders and Miller as receiving targets. Pretty good options for Ben.
We know nothing of the sort. But still, Brown, Sanders, Miller, maybe Cotchery and Ward isn't too bad either. If we get a few O-linemen in the first round this year, I'd say we're set on offense for a while.