PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger speaks: Haley, Ward, playing quarterback the way he does

mesaSteeler
02-16-2012, 06:19 AM
Roethlisberger speaks: Haley, Ward, playing quarterback the way he does
Thursday, 16 February 2012 00:15
Written by Bob Smizik
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/31928-roethlisberger-speaks-haley-ward-playing-quarterback-the-way-he-does

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger opened up on a multitude of significant topics in an interview with Mike Prisuta on the ``WDVE Morning Show,'' which aired yesterday.

Roethlisberger was more candid that usual in discussing:

* His meeting with owner Dan Rooney
* His thoughts on new offensive coordinator Todd Haley
* Getting yelled at
* The rush he gets from playing quarterback the way he does
* His feelings on whether Hines Ward will return to the Steelers next season.
* The importance of the passing game
Most notably Roethlisberger told Prisuta on Tuesday, the day of the interview, that he’d yet to meet with Haley. This is, to say the least, highly unusual since Haley had been on the job for seven days.

In a normal situation, a new assistant coach would reach out to his star pupil. That is particularly true in this case because Roethlisberger did not hide the fact he was unhappy with the firing of Bruce Arians, Haley’s predecessor. It might be expected that Haley would want to begin the process of forming a relationship as soon as possible.

That he hasn’t might mean nothing or it might mean the Steelers are trying to let Roethlisberger know, beyond doubt, who is the boss.

Concerning Haley’s demanding style, Roethlisberger said, ``Well, I definitely heard a lot of things. He does have a reputation that precedes him but I’m not going to jump to any conclusions until I have a chance to sit down with him and talk with him and see how things play out.’’

Concerning Haley’s well-known habit of angrily getting in the face of players, Roethlisberger said, ``At the quarterback position, it’s not one where you want to a lot of screaming because he’s kind of your leader and a guy that has to be clear-minded. It’s not fun to be yelled at. I don’t think anyone likes it

``But to me, you get just as much, if not more, out of me whether I screw up or do good. Just talk to me or so we can work through my reasoning instead of getting yelled at.’’

Roethlisberger played it right down the middle in talking about Ward, the much-decorated wide receiver who’s future with the team is in jeopardy. He said, ``We’ll kind of see how it plays out these next months and when ever they make these decisions.’’

It was a politically correct answer, but not what might be expected from a quarterback talking about a long-time teammate. But Roethlisberger and Ward did not share a great relationship.

How this impacts on Roethlisberger’s relationship with Haley, with the organization and the future success of the Steelers remains to be determined. It could be highly significant or not at all important.

This is the audio of the interview. http://www.dve.com/player/?station=WDVE-FM&program_name=podcast&program_id=amshow.xml&mid=21821992

This is a transcript of the interview, courtesy of SteelersDepot.com

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/02/ben-roethlisberger-does-not-think-quarterbacks-should-be-yelled-at/comment-page-1/

60_MINUTES
02-16-2012, 07:30 AM
it really dont matter to be honest with you... BEN is under contract til something like 2016 and may extend again this year.. He can either deal with it or ruin his season crying about it... To me the media is pushing for this thing to blow up to have something to write about but in any case I think it will be fine... There is one thing for sure BEN dont like being yelled at but you can bet your ass Haley aint gonna change either

steelfury02
02-16-2012, 08:17 AM
The 70s Dynasty Steelers won with a mixed bag of relationships - some were positive, some were negative, and some were non-existent.

In some cases at a work place - it helps to get along with your co-workers. In other places - it hinders progress and productivity (which a lot of fans would argue that Ben's friendship with Arians was getting in the way)

Regardless of Bruce Arians being gone - Ben is molded from the Terry Bradshaws than the Bradys - he will speak his mind more often than just drinking the team kool-aid

FanSince72
02-16-2012, 08:18 AM
``But to me, you get just as much, if not more, out of me whether I screw up or do good. Just talk to me or so we can work through my reasoning instead of getting yelled at.’’

I'm with Ben on this one.

I have never understood why some people feel it's necessary to scream at other people to make whatever point they're trying to make or to get someone to do something. I get angry sometimes just like everyone else, but I've never felt the need to scream at people. I've always believed that screamers are basically insecure people who feel that unless they demonstrate some sort of aggressive behavior, that people won't take them seriously.

I've been in positions of authority in various jobs over the years and I even ran my own business for about fifteen years and I've always gotten more out of people by explaining to them what I was trying to accomplish and how they can help to do that.
That doesn't mean that I've never raised my voice or expressed frustration in that voice, but it was always just a quick outburst followed by a discussion where I explained myself and listened to what others had to say. In the end, things generally work out very well because everyone understands what has to be done and why. More importantly, they understand that they have a role in things and that the work they do is valuable.

I've always believed that empowering people yields far better results than screaming at them ever could.

jiminpa
02-16-2012, 08:30 AM

I'm with Ben on this one.

I have never understood why some people feel it's necessary to scream at other people to make whatever point they're trying to make or to get someone to do something. I get angry sometimes just like everyone else, but I've never felt the need to scream at people. I've always believed that screamers are basically insecure people who feel that unless they demonstrate some sort of aggressive behavior, that people won't take them seriously.

I've been in positions of authority in various jobs over the years and I even ran my own business for about fifteen years and I've always gotten more out of people by explaining to them what I was trying to accomplish and how they can help to do that.
That doesn't mean that I've never raised my voice or expressed frustration in that voice, but it was always just a quick outburst followed by a discussion where I explained myself and listened to what others had to say. In the end, things generally work out very well because everyone understands what has to be done and why. More importantly, they understand that they have a role in things and that the work they do is valuable.

I've always believed that empowering people yields far better results than screaming at them ever could.Of course you're with Ben on this one. You always are. Ben needs someone to come in and explain things to him. He needed put in his place 6 years ago. Ben is a spoiled little child refusing to grow up, and if he spends the rest of his career getting yelled at, it's late in coming. He is not the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's not even a contributing member of the team, and hasn't been for 5 years. Time to grow up, and since he doesn't have the brains or desire to do so on his own, it will be forced on him.

FanSince72
02-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Of course you're with Ben on this one. You always are. Ben needs someone to come in and explain things to him. He needed put in his place 6 years ago. Ben is a spoiled little child refusing to grow up, and if he spends the rest of his career getting yelled at, it's late in coming. He is not the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's not even a contributing member of the team, and hasn't been for 5 years. Time to grow up, and since he doesn't have the brains or desire to do so on his own, it will be forced on him.

Seriously?

tony hipchest
02-16-2012, 08:56 AM
ben doesnt contribute?

wow.

FrancoLambert
02-16-2012, 09:15 AM
So, Ben doesn't like to get yelled at.....tough....grow up.....that's what most coaches do to players who under-perform or repeat mistakes (ie. extending a play so long that your ankle gets severely injured-see the Browns game).

He's not used to it because of his buddy-buddy relationship with BA.

Lat time I checked, youth football coaches sometimes "yell" at their players.

They can take it, learn from it, then shrug it off to improve.

Ben can too.

IowaSteeler927
02-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Ben doesn't contribute? Hmmm.... Seems like that perfect pass to Santonio Holmes in the corner of the endzone in Super Bowl 43 against the Cardinals was a pretty nice contribution to the team. You know honestly the guy doesn't contribute to the team, he sacrifices himself and his body for it. Ben's one of the toughest players in the NFL and he proves it every season. The guy plays with injuries that would have sissies like Brady sitting out games. He finds ways to win games despite getting blasted and sacked all the time because our offensive line is often makeshift due to injuries. This is a guy who often sticks up for his offensive line even though their blocking is mediocre and he gets put on his back for the majority of games. This is a guy who was out on the field playing with a high ankle sprain because he didn't want to disappoint his teammates. He's not selfish and I don't believe he acts spoiled at all. He's made dumb decisions in the past but that's the past this is the present.

Saying that Ben is selfish and doesn't contribute is just preposterous.

stb_steeler
02-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Ben doesn't contribute? Hmmm.... Seems like that perfect pass to Santonio Holmes in the corner of the endzone in Super Bowl 43 against the Cardinals was a pretty nice contribution to the team. You know honestly the guy doesn't contribute to the team, he sacrifices himself and his body for it. Ben's one of the toughest players in the NFL and he proves it every season. The guy plays with injuries that would have sissies like Brady sitting out games. He finds ways to win games despite getting blasted and sacked all the time because our offensive line is often makeshift due to injuries. This is a guy who often sticks up for his offensive line even though their blocking is mediocre and he gets put on his back for the majority of games. This is a guy who was out on the field playing with a high ankle sprain because he didn't want to disappoint his teammates. He's not selfish and I don't believe he acts spoiled at all. He's made dumb decisions in the past but that's the past this is the present.

Saying that Ben is selfish and doesn't contribute is just preposterous.

Ben got an email today telling him to give back his 2 SB rings because it really wasnt him that contributed to those games........:toofunny:

steelfury02
02-16-2012, 09:42 AM
speaking your mind v. drinking the kool aid will cause arguments in the media and between fans.

My take is that without him, there would be no Super Bowl XL or XLIII victories, along with plenty of other competitive seasons. That being said - he has said and done plenty of things that make him come across as person only interested in what he wants. To a degree - you have to be that way and have to carry that attitude as a starting QB in the NFL - I'm sure he realizes what works better for him in game time situations or coaching. At the same time - almost all the best players need a reality check.

Ben, with all his skill and accomplishments - is at a crossroads IMHO - and has to get better for them to capture another SB win. The division has gotten that much tougher - and they absolutely HAVE to get better in the red zone. Do I think Bruce was part of that issue? Yes - but so is Ben and everyone else by not preparing correctly and not playing at an even higher level. Too much complacency IMHO.

tunes4life
02-16-2012, 09:53 AM
Of course you're with Ben on this one. You always are. Ben needs someone to come in and explain things to him. He needed put in his place 6 years ago. Ben is a spoiled little child refusing to grow up, and if he spends the rest of his career getting yelled at, it's late in coming. He is not the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's not even a contributing member of the team, and hasn't been for 5 years. Time to grow up, and since he doesn't have the brains or desire to do so on his own, it will be forced on him.

Please send me your address so I can send you my dry cleaning bill. Coffee stains you know!

Men of Steel
02-16-2012, 10:17 AM

what the..... ??? :doh:

OX1947
02-16-2012, 11:03 AM
So by his logic Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher were insecure people. Coughlin is insecure, Bill Parcells was insecure, Jimmy Johnson was insecure and Vince Lombardi was the most insecure. Give me a ****ing a break.

LVSteelersfan
02-16-2012, 01:35 PM
I do believe Ben needs to get knocked down a notch or two and act like an adult. I also believe that yelling at people is the wrong way to go about things. I have had bosses that yelled at me for things my underlings did but never, ever gave praise for the 99% of the time that we all did our jobs correctly and kept them secure in their own jobs. So I hope Haley can do both without screaming too much. No player is going to be perfect and belittling them by yelling at them is the wrong approach.

60_MINUTES
02-16-2012, 02:31 PM

WOW... Im with you on the first part... he needs to be coached thats for sure.. the guy needs someone to control him and your right needed to grow up 6 years ago... but what you put that I put n bold may be the most out of line statement I have ever heard on a chat board next to the one a guy on another board said... He said Troy P would never be a good player due to his head being to big and making his body out of time...lol... but to say BEN has not been a contributing factor... are you ****ing kidding me ? the guy has been the biggest reason we have our superbowls period... Without BEN we are .500 team mabye 9-7 at best... WOW... unreal bud:noidea::noidea:

Fire Arians
02-16-2012, 03:19 PM

wow, i guess he had nothing to do with that 2 minute drill that won the 2008 super bowl

MasterOfPuppets
02-16-2012, 04:02 PM

http://crayfisher.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/stupid-burns.jpg

OX1947
02-16-2012, 04:03 PM
Look, i knew Ben Roethlisberger was as fake as they come a long time ago. His post game interviews or any interview for that matter was scripted, cliched as they come. I do not trust people who have their agent or whoever talk through them, especially when he is suppose to be a "leader" of a team. Now, Ben helped the Steelers win 2 Super Bowls, that is great. Even some of the greats never won 1. However, my brain seems to always venture to the 20 times he has cost the Steelers chances. I am not going to list them all because each needs its on explanation but I think you all know where i am going with this.

I do not pay attention to media dribble. I watch the person, see how they speak, see how they stare someone in the eye when they speak. Go watch the sideline footage of Big Ben and Bill Cowher, when Cowher spoke to him, he would always be looking up in the air or somewhere else as if he didn't even exist. Ben wants to do it his way and his way only. Only problem with that is, everything they let him loose completely, like a child, he comes back with a boo boo. Whether its injury on the field, face planted into a windshield or from a police station where he is accused of something.

Ricco Suavez
02-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Ben has his issues, like nearly every other human on the earth. The only two perfect NFL players are Troy and Tebow, at least on the surface. My point is Ben is the best we have at QB, there is no other option right now, perhaps in the future we sign an heir apparent. But to just pooh pooh his contributions to this team is crazy. Even with the first Super Bowl where he played like crap he still has played like a champ most playoff seasons. We do not smell Superbowl without Ben the last 8 years barring us signing some QB that drops to us and we somehow teach him to play behind the leagues worst line. I read how every other QB could do this or do that, the problem is we do not have those other QBs and might not have them now if Ben was gone. BTW this was the same guy who said Ben is the only player in Steeler history to shame the franchise with his antics. I guess he wasn't around for some of the older guys.

steelax04
02-16-2012, 04:18 PM

http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/d7/d7cd00b1_cant-tell-if-stupid-or-trolling.jpg

Bayz101
02-16-2012, 04:53 PM

Sorry, but this wrong. VERY wrong.

tanda10506
02-16-2012, 06:43 PM

Whoa, we havent heard stupidity like this on here since the likes of thumper, timmah, and bobby jr.

I agree with Ben on the yelling though, all it does is piss people off and usually gets less results. That hot headed garbage is the main reason I didnt like the Haley signing, hopefully it works out though and we dont see the temper tantrums.

ricardisimo
02-16-2012, 07:59 PM
The main problems with Haley yelling were him yelling at refs and opposing coaches, right? I remember Boldin getting in his face and Haley rather calmly flipping him the bird, but I don't recall a lot of yelling at players. Then again, why would I ever be watching Chiefs games enough to know better? :noidea:

60_MINUTES
02-16-2012, 09:18 PM
all I can say about Haley is he come from Parcells.... and Parcells coached the way we are talking about Haley coaching... it worked pretty damn good for parcells

It also worked pretty good for Cowher and Noll... since when did the steelers in the last 40 years of killing the entire football world do it any other way ??? oh yeah right when Tomlin came in.... Ok so the past few years we have run the team a bit different and the Rooneys dont like the results... Im not talking about results Wins and Losses.. Im saying they dont like this shit of Players thinking they run the show.. AkA Ben... AkA things being said like Pouncey said after playoff loss... So rooneys bring a guy to run the O that wont take that kind of shit.. Dan is coming back and I expect all the retarted its all about me and disrespect of fans to stop pretty damn quick....

As Mean Joe told Rod Woodson many years ago after woodson scored a TD and starting acting like a retard... Mean joe who was on the coaching staff... told him..." We dont do that shit here " Rods reply " Yes Sir " bottom line Rooneys are reminding everyone who is in charge and Haley to me is a chip off the old block... NOLL... COWHER.... HALEY... guys who let the players no where they stand... bottom line I coach and you do what i say or you can watch from the sideline... and thats the way it should be

Millers the sh!t
02-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Ben has his issues, like nearly every other human on the earth. The only two perfect NFL players are Troy and Tebow, at least on the surface. My point is Ben is the best we have at QB, there is no other option right now, perhaps in the future we sign an heir apparent. But to just pooh pooh his contributions to this team is crazy. Even with the first Super Bowl where he played like crap he still has played like a champ most playoff seasons. We do not smell Superbowl without Ben the last 8 years barring us signing some QB that drops to us and we somehow teach him to play behind the leagues worst line. I read how every other QB could do this or do that, the problem is we do not have those other QBs and might not have them now if Ben was gone. BTW this was the same guy who said Ben is the only player in Steeler history to shame the franchise with his antics. I guess he wasn't around for some of the older guys.

I like Ben reg season but I think Ben sucks in the playoffs.... A few good games here and there but I think most of the wins were due to a steady defense and a complete team.

Every other human does have issues but not like Ben does. I don't have multiple (or single) rape accusations, and so far I haven't crashed my motorcycle without a helmet on being a dummy. I've seen enough of Bens personality to tell he's an arrogant douchebag. That's why none of his teammates stick for for him on the field when he gets cheap shotted or a blatant punch in the face. The guys really needs to grow up and get over himself. I like Ben as our QB but definitely don't respect him and he could try a lot better with preparation.

PS I heard Tebow say "God Dammit" during the playoff creaming in New England..... He ain't perfect.

Bayz101
02-17-2012, 12:41 AM
248 of 409 60.6% comp pct. 3150 yards 20 td's17 interceptions 83.7 QB rating

That's not by any means bad playoff performances.

Millers the sh!t
02-17-2012, 01:17 AM
248 of 409 60.6% comp pct. 3150 yards 20 td's17 interceptions 83.7 QB rating

That's not by any means bad playoff performances.

Add in his lost fumbles and it's almost a 1-1 td/to ratio. Not too good if you ask me... Sounds like great defenses won most those playoff games.

Like I said, a FEW GOOD games here and there, but a lot of them were sub par. I don't think that Big Ben is as "money" in the playoffs as people say.

A lot of people agree that P Manning sucks in the playoffs as well. 62.2% 4808 27 td 17 int. 88.3 qb rating. All better than BR7...

ricardisimo
02-17-2012, 03:49 AM
Ben's playoff numbers are skewed by an appalling SB XL (despite a stellar playoff run leading up to it) and an abysmal rookie playoff campaign where he was, quite simply, in over his head. Remove those three games and his numbers are phenomenal.

all I can say about Haley is he come from Parcells.... and Parcells coached the way we are talking about Haley coaching... it worked pretty damn good for parcells

It also worked pretty good for Cowher and Noll... since when did the steelers in the last 40 years of killing the entire football world do it any other way ??? oh yeah right when Tomlin came in.... Ok so the past few years we have run the team a bit different and the Rooneys dont like the results... Im not talking about results Wins and Losses.. Im saying they dont like this shit of Players thinking they run the show.. AkA Ben... AkA things being said like Pouncey said after playoff loss... So rooneys bring a guy to run the O that wont take that kind of shit.. Dan is coming back and I expect all the retarted its all about me and disrespect of fans to stop pretty damn quick....

As Mean Joe told Rod Woodson many years ago after woodson scored a TD and starting acting like a retard... Mean joe who was on the coaching staff... told him..." We dont do that shit here " Rods reply " Yes Sir " bottom line Rooneys are reminding everyone who is in charge and Haley to me is a chip off the old block... NOLL... COWHER.... HALEY... guys who let the players no where they stand... bottom line I coach and you do what i say or you can watch from the sideline... and thats the way it should be
You would think that we were rooting for the Bungles or Raiders here the way some of you talk about Tomlin. Where do you people get this shit? There's nothing wrong with treating grown men as though they are grown men.

Oh, and the Parcells fiction is just that: fiction. Ask Lawrence Taylor what a strict disciplinarian he was. Noll also had a nice bunch of hooligans during his tenure that people have conveniently forgotten about, cokeheads in constant trouble with the law and such. Not sure why it is so necessary to romanticize and whitewash this stuff.

60_MINUTES
02-17-2012, 06:42 AM
Ben's playoff numbers are skewed by an appalling SB XL (despite a stellar playoff run leading up to it) and an abysmal rookie playoff campaign where he was, quite simply, in over his head. Remove those three games and his numbers are phenomenal.

You would think that we were rooting for the Bungles or Raiders here the way some of you talk about Tomlin. Where do you people get this shit? There's nothing wrong with treating grown men as though they are grown men.

Oh, and the Parcells fiction is just that: fiction. Ask Lawrence Taylor what a strict disciplinarian he was. Noll also had a nice bunch of hooligans during his tenure that people have conveniently forgotten about, cokeheads in constant trouble with the law and such. Not sure why it is so necessary to romanticize and whitewash this stuff.

yeah a couple points you make may be truth but still Haley fits the type guys the rooneys have been use to... Slice it anyway you want but this was a rooney move to bring a coach in to take care of the O and BEN... that to me they shouldnt have to do.. Cowers Staff always had coaches on it..not guys patting you on the back and shaking their head at you... Its just what I believe in.. you believe in doing it a different way.. I believe in a coach that says you do it because I said so period..If you dont llike it your on the bench.. I believe it even more so with Pros cause they need someone like that... AKA BEN needs a guy i his life.. cause he thinks he on top of the world..

It doesnt mean you cant have a relationship with your guys.. Hell those kinds of coaches I had is the ones I respected all my life.. The push overs are the ones we make fun of when we look back

TRH
02-17-2012, 07:23 AM

Thats the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. I'm now 10 intelligence points dumber for even reading it.
You're actually the one that sounds like a spoiled brat.

Ben is fine and when he wants info (as any franchise QB should get) or a meeting, its blown up and super-duper-over-analyzed in the press.
We are lucky to have Ben as our QB. Period. End of story. Zero debate.

jiminpa
02-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Okay, so to say that he doesn't contribute was over the top, and not accurate. I let my emotions overrun my brain, (I was having a bad day). But it would be difficult to argue that the offense has been anything more than a tag-along for the last five years. It has been argued to death, but I will mention it again, if the offense hadn't done everything possible to give the game to Arizona, there would have been no need for the last minute heroics in the SB, or if Harrison had not made it into the endzone Stonio's TD is useless. How many of Mitch Berger's punts didn't even make it back to the original line of scrimmage when he was subbing for Sepulvida? Why is it a crisis that the defense didn't score last season? Maybe I should have said that he's barely a contribution member of the team, considering that the offense as a whole barely contributes to the team, and he is not the even entire offense.

steelfury02
02-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Stats are for losers

I really, truly don't give a crap as long as we continue to compete for championships

Ben is building a Terry Bradshaw like reputation / relationships with the Steelers, the fans, and the city and once he leaves football - he'll spout off like the big d-bag he is. But, ,really - at some point in the future - the Steelers will get another great QB and then blah blah blah

Just win Steelers - everything else doesnt matter

FanSince72
02-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Stats are for losers

I really, truly don't give a crap as long as we continue to compete for championships

Ben is building a Terry Bradshaw like reputation / relationships with the Steelers, the fans, and the city and once he leaves football - he'll spout off like the big d-bag he is. But, ,really - at some point in the future - the Steelers will get another great QB and then blah blah blah

Just win Steelers - everything else doesnt matter

^^^ THIS! ^^^