PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Mendenhall could be a cap casualty

pete74
02-16-2012, 11:46 AM
With the Steelers still struggling to find cap room Rashard Mendenhall could be on the chopping block. Mendenhall injured his ACL in week 17 against Cleveland. He is expected to be put on the PUP list to start the season. GM Kevin Colbert does not expect Mendenhall back at full strength for a year. That would be the last week of the regular season next year.

Mendenhall is going into the last year of his contract though and the only charge to the salary cap would come this year to the Steelers. Mendenhall would be owed just over $3.4 million on the 2012 salary cap. The Steelers can cut that number down to around $1.1 million by releasing Mendenhall. That would save the Steelers around $2.3 million in cap space that they desperately need.

If Mendenhall has a minimal chance of playing this season then even though it will cost us a compensatory pick next season it is the best way to go. The Steelers need to stop restructuring and start releasing. This will be the easiest one to complete. Mendenhall is not a fan favorite and this being the last year of his contract and unable to play anyways Steelers fans will brush it off.

When it gets close to March 13th if the Steelers still need to remove some money do not be shocked to hear Mendenhall’s name as a cap casualty

OX1947
02-16-2012, 12:00 PM
I heard his contract didn't give them much relief, you sure your numbers are correct.

pete74
02-16-2012, 12:07 PM
we cut Mendy and Hampton and we will save a little over 8million

Raw Steel
02-16-2012, 03:00 PM
With the Steelers still struggling to find cap room Rashard Mendenhall could be on the chopping block. Mendenhall injured his ACL in week 17 against Cleveland. He is expected to be put on the PUP list to start the season. GM Kevin Colbert does not expect Mendenhall back at full strength for a year. That would be the last week of the regular season next year.

Mendenhall is going into the last year of his contract though and the only charge to the salary cap would come this year to the Steelers. Mendenhall would be owed just over $3.4 million on the 2012 salary cap. The Steelers can cut that number down to around $1.1 million by releasing Mendenhall. That would save the Steelers around $2.3 million in cap space that they desperately need.

If Mendenhall has a minimal chance of playing this season then even though it will cost us a compensatory pick next season it is the best way to go. The Steelers need to stop restructuring and start releasing. This will be the easiest one to complete. Mendenhall is not a fan favorite and this being the last year of his contract and unable to play anyways Steelers fans will brush it off.

When it gets close to March 13th if the Steelers still need to remove some money do not be shocked to hear Mendenhall’s name as a cap casualty

Little more complicated than that, There would have to be an injury settlement which means you would have to pay part of his base salary in order to release him.

MasterOfPuppets
02-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Little more complicated than that, There would have to be an injury settlement which means you would have to pay part of his base salary in order to release him.
yep... jerome bettis said he faked an injury once to avoid getting cut.

Bettis claims he faked injury so Steelers wouldn't cut him

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2986809

MasterOfPuppets
02-16-2012, 03:30 PM
found this...

Technically, NFL players injured on the job cannot be cut without compensation. The standard NFL contract requires that if a player is injured on the job, and if the player promptly communicates the injury, then he is owed payment for as long as his injury prevents him from playing that season. Normally, the player's agent and the team's general manager try to agree on an injury settlement. They attempt to forecast the number of weeks the player would miss because of injury; the player should get paid for each week he would have played if not hurt. If the injury is long-term, the player can receive up to an additional $300,000 in recognition of not playing in the following season (that amount can be higher and for additional seasons if negotiated as such in the player's contract).
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/michael_mccann/02/24/concussions/index.html#ixzz1maBuXf9W

steelerchad
02-16-2012, 04:08 PM
found this...

And he should get a settlement and a significant one. He blew out his knee on the job and won't be able to do his job, maybe ever again. That injury cost him dearly. NFL teams should not be able to just throw these guys in the garbage without compensating them.

These guys lay it on the line everyday, and any play, it can all be over.
Seems to me like every other team in the league finds decent backs at the end of the draft. Maybe we'll get lucky with Batch, Dwyer, or Clay to complement Redman. Wouldn't hurt to take another shot at one late in the draft either. Stable of backs is the way to go now days.

ItalianSteelersFan178443
02-16-2012, 04:29 PM
They definitely will not make him a cap casualty, they like what he brings to the team.

pete74
02-16-2012, 04:57 PM
They definitely will not make him a cap casualty, they like what he brings to the team.

I wouldnt bet on that

Bayz101
02-16-2012, 05:01 PM
They would actually end up losing money on him, if not gaining just a little. It'd help our cap situation ever so slightly, and we'd have better luck letting him heal up and shopping him around the league then.

MasterOfPuppets
02-16-2012, 05:17 PM
They would actually end up losing money on him, if not gaining just a little. It'd help our cap situation ever so slightly, and we'd have better luck letting him heal up and shopping him around the league then.
he's a FA after this year , so how can they "shop " him around ?
he'll heal up just in time to shop himself around in 2013.

Bayz101
02-16-2012, 05:44 PM
he's a FA after this year , so how can they "shop " him around ?
he'll heal up just in time to shop himself around in 2013.

Shit! I thought we extended his rookie contract last year :doh:

6RingsAndCounting
02-16-2012, 07:08 PM
He'll be gone next year, not this year

ricardisimo
02-16-2012, 07:54 PM
He won't be cut. If Redman, Dwyer and Batch don't pan out for whatever reason, they would have him in-house during the season to begin discussions with him.

LayingTheWoodley56
02-17-2012, 07:30 PM
I don't see this happening, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. The fact that fans were debating how much of an impact losing our STARTING tailback for a playoff game would have tells you everything you need to know about his status here. He has never been the tough, speedy runner that we see flashes of consistently enough. Redman, when given the chance, outperformed him last season, plain and simple. I wouldn't advocate cutting him if not for his injury, because maybe him and Redman would both do better in a 1A, 1B type platoon, but it is something to think about it. Between Redman, Batch, Dwyer and Clay, we can have a decent running attack.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-17-2012, 08:14 PM
I agree LayingTheWood.... It can be very servicable in complimenting th epass yet keeping the Def honest.

It won't be a great run attack, but i think it can more than hold its own. Providing of course we get a little Oline help. lol

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-18-2012, 12:35 AM
He won't be cut. If Redman, Dwyer and Batch don't pan out for whatever reason, they would have him in-house during the season to begin discussions with him.

I think you are right. So they put the guy on the PUP list if he cant play this year. Still a young back with not a lot of miles on him and a guy coming off injury that isnt likely to garner a ton of interest from other teams.

FrancoLambert
02-18-2012, 08:50 AM
I don't see this happening, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. The fact that fans were debating how much of an impact losing our STARTING tailback for a playoff game would have tells you everything you need to know about his status here. He has never been the tough, speedy runner that we see flashes of consistently enough. Redman, when given the chance, outperformed him last season, plain and simple. I wouldn't advocate cutting him if not for his injury, because maybe him and Redman would both do better in a 1A, 1B type platoon, but it is something to think about it. Between Redman, Batch, Dwyer and Clay, we can have a decent running attack.

Batch, Dwyer, and Clay.......hmmm......same production as Mendy? Maybe?
What do you base their projected contributions on?
Batch hasn't played 1 down in the NFL.
Dwyer showed flashes in "mop up duty."
Clay was a practice squad player most of the year.

Redman can do it. All year long as the lead back though? Time will tell.