PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger was told he was close to dying

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-13-2006, 06:09 AM
Roethlisberger was told he was close to dying

BRISTOL, Conn. - Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Wednesday night that he was told he was "seconds, maybe a minute away from dying" immediately after his motorcycle accident last month.

Roethlisberger, in his first interview since the June 12 accident, told ESPN's "SportsCenter" that he doesn't remember much about the accident when he rammed his motorcycle into a car that was making a left turn in front of him on a Pittsburgh street. He did, however, remember what he was told by people at the scene.

"They told me that I was literally seconds, maybe a minute away from dying because I slit a vein or artery in my mouth or my throat and it was draining blood right into my stomach and luckily the paramedic noticed it and stopped it or else I would have had too much blood in my stomach," he said in Los Angeles where he was for the taping of the ESPY Awards.

"I remember very few things about the accident," Roethlisberger said. "I remember one car turning in front of me, I don't remember the car that hit me, but I remember that first car turning in front of me and the next thing I remember is being in the ambulance and asking, 'Is this really happening?'

"I said, 'Tell me this is just a bad dream,' and he said, 'No, everything is going to be OK,' and he asked me, 'Is there anyone you want me to call?' ... I just gave him two numbers and I don't remember anything until I woke up from surgery."

Roethlisberger underwent seven hours of surgery to repair a broken jaw and other facial bones. Tests showed no brain injuries, although he had a mild concussion. He also lost two teeth and chipped several others.

Roethlisberger was cited for not wearing a helmet when the accident happened.

"That day I wasn't, I forgot it. I literally forgot it," he said. "You know there are times that, people that have been making a big deal for the last couple years about me riding first of all, and then me riding without a helmet, but it's one of those things that I ride with a helmet also. I do a little bit of both. If you don't wear a seat belt every time you ride in the car should I label you as a person who doesn't wear a seat belt? And unfortunately I happened to not have it on that day because I forgot it in the basement."

Roethlisberger said he didn't know if he would ride a motorcycle again.

"I don't know. I am not even thinking about that right now," he said. "To me, right now, like I said when I first started thinking about things, I started thinking about my family. Now that I am doing better and I feel good, now all I am thinking about is football and that is what is on my mind right now. I am getting healthy and I am getting better every day so all I am thinking about is football. I am not thinking about anything else."

Roethlisberger is scheduled to play in a celebrity golf tournament this weekend in Lake Tahoe, Nev.

Including the postseason, the Steelers are 27-4 with Roethlisberger at quarterback. They advanced to the AFC championship game in both his seasons as a starter, winning the Super Bowl in January.

The Steelers won the ESPY for best team and Roethlisberger joined his teammates and coach Bill Cowher onstage to accept the award. It was his first public appearance since the accident.

Roethlisberger didn't appear backstage to talk to reporters.

"I have no concerns about Ben," Cowher said backstage. "He's going to have to get hit a couple times to see if he's all the way back. Hopefully, he can be a great inspiration to a lot of people about looking at life a little more cautiously."

BlackNGold203
07-13-2006, 06:54 AM
God he sounds focused.....looks good.....I like where his head is at...

I smell a HUGE year!!!!

floodcitygirl
07-13-2006, 07:40 AM
Wow...scary how close it really was! Sounds like he's getting himself together and staying on track mentally and physically. Great news!:cooldude:

BengalBrian
07-13-2006, 07:40 AM
He forgot his helmet??? I dont buy that.. Woulda been better for him to just appologize for it...

Atlanta Dan
07-13-2006, 07:56 AM
He forgot his helmet??? I dont buy that.. Woulda been better for him to just appologize for it...

Dear Troll

Since you have stated in another post that you do not like Ben's looks (presumably as compared to the Carson Palmer poster you have on your bedroom wall) and do not find him to be credible, we have a pretty clear view you are not a big fan of Ben.

Presumably you are aware that I am not surprised.

Commenting on the games is one thing but trolling on other team boards for the purpose of making cute remarks about opposing teams' players is pretty low.

BengalBrian
07-13-2006, 08:01 AM
Dear Troll

Since you have stated in another post that you do not like Ben's looks (presumably as compared to the Carson Palmer poster you have on your bedroom wall) and do not find him to be credible, we have a pretty clear view you are not a big fan of Ben.

Presumably you are aware that I am not surprised.

Commenting on the games is one thing but trolling on other team boards for the purpose of making cute remarks about opposing teams' players is pretty low.
Give me a break dude.. Just because you know I am right you get pissed at my comment... Ben didnt forget it.. Dont go jumpin my case because you cant handle what is more than likely the truth.. I am not trolling.. I have said the same thing on a couple other message boards... It's my opinion and I am entitled to it... Ben has in the past said he WONT wear a helmet.. But then he wrecks and all of a sudden he forgot it?? Does he think saying that is going to make things better anyway???

I am done in this thread now since I am upsetting poor Atlanta Dan

X-Terminator
07-13-2006, 08:16 AM
I have to agree with BengalBrian here. Ben should have just come out and told the truth here rather than try to spin it. An outright apology and admission of his arrogance would have made him look much better. Saying that "he forgot it" when we all know his history on wearing a helmet doesn't help his credibility, IMO.

Big D
07-13-2006, 08:26 AM
I have to agree with BengalBrian here. Ben should have just come out and told the truth here rather than try to spin it. An outright apology and admission of his arrogance would have made him look much better. Saying that "he forgot it" when we all know his history on wearing a helmet doesn't help his credibility, IMO.
It's sad to say i'm agreeing with the bengal fan as well. I've been a sport bike rider for the past 8 years and I too chose not to wear my helmet. But as brian mentioned he has stated in public he doesnt wear a helmet. No need to retract now

Atlanta Dan
07-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Give me a break dude.. Just because you know I am right you get pissed at my comment... Ben didnt forget it.. Dont go jumpin my case because you cant handle what is more than likely the truth.. I am not trolling.. I have said the same thing on a couple other message boards... It's my opinion and I am entitled to it... Ben has in the past said he WONT wear a helmet.. But then he wrecks and all of a sudden he forgot it?? Does he think saying that is going to make things better anyway???

I am done in this thread now since I am upsetting poor Atlanta Dan

One of the many great features on this board is the ignore function if you do not want to read posts by someone. I will be using it with regard to BengalBrian

Big D
07-13-2006, 08:40 AM
Can we have peace on the forum for one day???

BengalBrian
07-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Sorry for saying what I did Dan, but I woulda said the same thing had he been on my team.. I didnt mean it to start shit... And I am sure someone else here (a steeler fan) woulda said the same thing had I not.

Again.. Not trying to stir the pot... If you think about it.. I could have been much more 'trollish' in my response, but I kept it to a simple opinion and no bashing...

With that said.. Carry on..

Big D
07-13-2006, 08:47 AM
Sorry for saying what I did Dan, but I woulda said the same thing had he been on my team.. I didnt mean it to start shit... And I am sure someone else here (a steeler fan) woulda said the same thing had I not.

Again.. Not trying to stir the pot... If you think about it.. I could have been much more 'trollish' in my response, but I kept it to a simple opinion and no bashing...

With that said.. Carry on..
i dont consider it "stiring the pot" it was a factual comment that is very well known in the steeler nation. By starting shit you coulda said what a dumbass for even saying that he forgot his helmet. But you kept it respectable

Prosdo
07-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Can we have peace on the forum for one day???

I am hoping so.

Prosdo
07-13-2006, 08:53 AM
I have to agree with Brian here. I saw a video clip and I went huh? when he said about the helmet. I like Ben a lot and I think he is a great young talent. But he forgot it? I don't know just seemed odd to me. Anyway, wow that is scary being told something like that. Someone was definitely watching over him that day.

3 to be 4
07-13-2006, 08:58 AM
lets call him Thurman Thomasburger

LuckyNumber7
07-13-2006, 09:10 AM
Wow...scary how close it really was! Sounds like he's getting himself together and staying on track mentally and physically. Great news!:cooldude:

It's very scary. I wonder why we didn't hear about this until now? I am just so thankful that he is alive and well.

HometownGal
07-13-2006, 11:42 AM
What's done is done and I don't think the dead horse needs to be beaten any longer. While I agree that Ben should not have tried to play spin doctor here, he has already apologized to the team and the fans for being a chowderhead. I think we can all admit to doing wild and crazy things that would earn us a nomination for a not the sharpest knife in the drawer award. I think it is high time the media, the fans and yes- even Ben - move forward and concentrate on getting ready for the upcoming season instead of looking back.

bcolton82
07-13-2006, 11:46 AM
lets call him Thurman Thomasburger

LMFAO!!!

Some people prolly don't remember he didn't start the Super Bowl because he couldn't find his helmet....HAHAHA

Big D
07-13-2006, 04:22 PM
LMFAO!!!

Some people prolly don't remember he didn't start the Super Bowl because he couldn't find his helmet....HAHAHA
he was probably drunk

Big D
07-13-2006, 04:23 PM
What's done is done and I don't think the dead horse needs to be beaten any longer. While I agree that Ben should not have tried to play spin doctor here, he has already apologized to the team and the fans for being a chowderhead. I think we can all admit to doing wild and crazy things that would earn us a nomination for a not the sharpest knife in the drawer award. I think it is high time the media, the fans and yes- even Ben - move forward and concentrate on getting ready for the upcoming season instead of looking back.
agreed!!! i'm very sick of this ben accident drama. I'm really ready to just see what he does this season

BB2W
07-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Here is a link to a prtion of his interveiw with Rome... I think the whole thing will be on TV tonight on ESPN at 6:00.

link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2517756

klick81
07-13-2006, 05:35 PM
He looks VERY different. I mean...his face looks different, like it's not even the real Ben. Anyone else think the same thing?

Ambridge
07-13-2006, 06:32 PM
He looks VERY different. I mean...his face looks different, like it's not even the real Ben. Anyone else think the same thing?

Ben's face looks a lot better than I thought it would.
The thing I noticed the most was his weight loss. They showed him on ESPN at the Celebrity Golf Tournament and it looks like he's lost 20+ pounds.

BlackNGold203
07-13-2006, 06:47 PM
The thing I noticed the most was his weight loss. They showed him on ESPN at the Celebrity Golf Tournament and it looks like he's lost 20+ pounds.

Now that hes broken the ice...gotten back in the public view (a HUGE step)..Im sure he'll start preparing in earnest for camp...hes got 55 days til the opener....he'll be fine

CantStop85
07-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Probably because of all the makeup he's wearing...it makes him look like a china doll.

CowherLover
07-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Yeah he looks different, he looks like he's missing teeth and has titanium plates in his face from it being smashed into a moving vehicle. I'm surprised how good he looks and how well he's speaking. No doubt he'll get the wait up in time and he'll be ready to go.

CAH
07-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Oh, yeah, he forgot his helmet just as much as taking a shower and forgetting to turn on the water. He knows it was a dumb thing to say so he can get his dignity back by playing well.

Experience is a costly teacher but what he should learn from all of this will benefit the Steelers

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Ben is only going to get better as a quarter back.
24 and 4 as a starter including playoff games (i believe that is correct)

Dont care about the accident anymore.......Just putting some more W's to his record

BengalBrian
07-13-2006, 08:01 PM
25 to be exact from what I heard.. He plans on putting 10-15 of it back on but was wanting to drop some of the weight anyway

SteelCzar76
07-13-2006, 08:14 PM
We're all born to die,....it's just how you meet that certainty that matters. Ben knows that he's favored by our father,.. and that his accident was JUST a wake up call. With great power comes great expectation's from above. I'm glad to see that he spoke on that in the interview (So to speak). He's healed very well, besides his eye,... the only difference i noticed was the bridge of his nose seems less prominent. But the most important change is not physical at all,.....Realization. And i'll go on record as saying that his accident will be catalyst for him to fulfill his destiny as a QB,.....and that's bad news for the rest of the league. But it means greatness for our Family,..... THE STEELER NATION.

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail the Black and Gold"