PDA

View Full Version : Kordell Stewart

Blackout
02-18-2012, 09:07 PM
I was growing up during the time Stewart was playing for the Steelers and never really looked to much into his career there. I just went back and looked at that awesome Hail Mary at Michigan I think it was to win the game.

But what happened after that? Was he that horrible of a quarterback? The only thing I recall seeing of him is he was really fast on his feet.

Millers the sh!t
02-18-2012, 09:59 PM
This guy I work with from Pit said there was a HUGE rumor Kordell is gay.

tony hipchest
02-18-2012, 10:27 PM
wow... y'all are really young, huh?

pittsburgh fans would make up rumors of dick lebeau being gay if he was considered the reason for 2-3 champ game losses and poor seasons.

the problem with kordell was he never made it to a superbowl with a team widely regarded as a sb contender every year.

Bayz101
02-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Kordell was serviceable, but that's about it. I actually liked Maddox better, but the problem with him was he threw the damn ball 50 times a game. Not his fault, but whatever.

Bayz101
02-18-2012, 10:33 PM

pittsburgh fans would make up rumors of dick lebeau being gay if he was considered the reason for 2-3 champ game losses and poor seasons.

the problem with kordell was he never made it to a superbowl with a team widely regarded as a sb contender every year.

With fan's, there's always gotta be someone to blame.

steeltheone
02-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Kordell could not read defenses....When the playoffs came that became all the more evident....He also lost his cool when he made a mistake, Good QB'S never do this, they come back like nothing happened. Kordell melted.

Kordell teams were better than any team Big Ben has had to date...It wasnt always completely his fault, if not for John Elway he had them there in 97' and they would have beaten the Packers in the SB.

zcoop
02-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Kordell was no worse than Maddox or Odonnell. He had several different coordinators to deal with during his time with us and that cost him some valuable development time.

I think that if he had some consistency at the O coordinator he would have done better than he did.

tony hipchest
02-18-2012, 11:04 PM
if kordell woulda had Uncle genius Arians he woulda been a hall of famer.

Buddha Bus
02-18-2012, 11:24 PM

Arians could have at least gotten Mark Malone a Pro Bowl appearance. http://r28.imgfast.net/users/2815/14/51/45/smiles/2800024739.gif

zcoop
02-18-2012, 11:24 PM

Naw, don't think so, but if he had a consistent coach, he may have had a much better experience at the Qb position. Like it or not Ben has two SBs with Arians.

tony hipchest
02-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Naw, don't think so, but if he had a consistent coach, he may have had a much better experience at the Qb position. Like it or not Ben has two SBs with Arians.you missed the sarcasm and im not gonna give arians too much credit for being a wr coach in 2005. weve had just as many failures at wr as we have had success under him (wilson, sweed, reid).

like it or not, ben experienced his only sb loss under arians, and his easiest sb win under coah whiz.

zcoop
02-18-2012, 11:47 PM
you missed the sarcasm and im not gonna give arians too much credit for being a wr coach in 2005. weve had just as many failures at wr as we have had success under him (wilson, sweed, reid).

like it or not, ben experienced his only sb loss under arians, and his easiest sb win under coah whiz.

I got ya playa :wink02:

MACH1
02-19-2012, 12:47 AM

With a real qb how many more SB's would the Steelers have? I think thats what piss's me off the most all those great teams squandered under the korky experiment.

One of the big things anyways.
o'donnell

Millers the sh!t
02-19-2012, 12:54 AM
With fan's, there's always gotta be someone to blame.

I blame the gays. Kordell Gay Stewart, and Bruce Gay Arians, and William Gay Gay.

EbonySteel86
02-19-2012, 02:03 AM
They tried and make Kordel a pocket passer.....everything went to hell after that. One Afcc game he lost to the Cheatriots. He couldve beat them I'd if they didn't cheat imho! But he was fun to watch for a little while.

Set-Man
02-19-2012, 09:54 AM
Kordell for president!

Boomer
02-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Kordell would have played longer had he made the switch to WR. But he was set on being a QB. Too bad too. He was a great slash player.

stb_steeler
02-19-2012, 10:57 AM
I was growing up during the time Stewart was playing for the Steelers and never really looked to much into his career there. I just went back and looked at that awesome Hail Mary at Michigan I think it was to win the game.

But what happened after that? Was he that horrible of a quarterback? The only thing I recall seeing of him is he was really fast on his feet.

U must be a youngin

6RingsAndCounting
02-19-2012, 11:40 AM
He had one great year when he was a candidate for MVP, but that ended when the Patriots cheated. I was always a huge Tommy Maddox fan anyhow. I loved me some Tommy Gun.

StainlessStill
02-19-2012, 11:53 AM
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Kordell Stewart was one of my favorite Steelers. There is no doubt the kind of athletic breakthrough he possessed in his "Slash" role. Kordell had "IT." He had what it took to be a Pro Bowl/All Pro player in the NFL.

His career started promising and he did many great things for the Steelers, pretty much paving way for the athletic QB's in the new age NFL. In '97, his first full year as starting QB, he took the Steelers to the 1997 AFC Championship game. He had a bad game, but Denver was the league's best NFL team, one we beat earlier in the season because of Kordell's performance.

Then, haywire. Say what you want about the Cowher era, but it was always the QB position that never felt right. Even before Kordell was named the starter and after O'Donnell left, there was all kinds of competition and short leash's within the Steelers QB ranks and that's where I think it all failed.

After 1997, not only was Kordell on a short leash, but he also went through coordinator after coordinator, let alone QB coach after QB coach on a yearly basis, not to mention the short leash thing again. Other than 2001, Kordell's re-surging year, he AGAIN was on a short leash in 2002 entering the season. Kordell had what it took but carried on his shoulder a incredible amount of damaged goods through the entire Steelers process. How you handle your QB is a very fragile thing in the NFL. In the Kordell era, he never was really promised the starting role, always watched closely and I believe that always had an effect on him.

I'll always give him the benefit of the doubt, no matter how harsh Steelers fans want to be on him.

Fire Arians
02-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Kordell was no worse than Maddox or Odonnell. He had several different coordinators to deal with during his time with us and that cost him some valuable development time.

I think that if he had some consistency at the O coordinator he would have done better than he did.

disagree, o'donnell was easily the best of the 3.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-19-2012, 02:22 PM

Yeah Tony, not all of us remember when Terry Hanratty was a rookie. :wave:

zcoop
02-19-2012, 02:56 PM

You're entitled to your disagreement but I'll stick to my guns.

zcoop
02-19-2012, 02:59 PM
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Kordell Stewart was one of my favorite Steelers. There is no doubt the kind of athletic breakthrough he possessed in his "Slash" role. Kordell had "IT." He had what it took to be a Pro Bowl/All Pro player in the NFL.

His career started promising and he did many great things for the Steelers, pretty much paving way for the athletic QB's in the new age NFL. In '97, his first full year as starting QB, he took the Steelers to the 1997 AFC Championship game. He had a bad game, but Denver was the league's best NFL team, one we beat earlier in the season because of Kordell's performance.

Then, haywire. Say what you want about the Cowher era, but it was always the QB position that never felt right. Even before Kordell was named the starter and after O'Donnell left, there was all kinds of competition and short leash's within the Steelers QB ranks and that's where I think it all failed.

After 1997, not only was Kordell on a short leash, but he also went through coordinator after coordinator, let alone QB coach after QB coach on a yearly basis, not to mention the short leash thing again. Other than 2001, Kordell's re-surging year, he AGAIN was on a short leash in 2002 entering the season. Kordell had what it took but carried on his shoulder a incredible amount of damaged goods through the entire Steelers process. How you handle your QB is a very fragile thing in the NFL. In the Kordell era, he never was really promised the starting role, always watched closely and I believe that always had an effect on him.

I'll always give him the benefit of the doubt, no matter how harsh Steelers fans want to be on him.

Agree with this.

Bayz101
02-19-2012, 03:03 PM
There's no doubting Neil was the better of the three, and the better overall QB at the end of his career. Some are still salty over his Super Bowl interception's, so the opinions will vary. Looking at the numbers, there's no question he's the better of the three.

ricardisimo
02-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Please... O'Donnell was an actual quarterback, Maddox should have been a career backup and Kordell should have stayed as Slash. Kordell was very, very fun to watch, but that means also infuriating quite often. That one Baltimore game where he singlehandedly pulverized them still gives me an erection. Literally, the rest of the team didn't even need to show up that day.

Hmmm... :scratchchin: Maybe he was gay.

http://smiliesftw.com/x/badgerbadgerboner.gif

steelerchad
02-19-2012, 04:01 PM

True. No doubt O'donnell was our 3rd best QB of all time.

steelerchad
02-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Kordell was a great player, just not a great QB. When he was in his slash role, he was lethal. But he had to go and try to be an everydown QB and then it all went to shit. He was the origianal wildcat QB. They'd line him up in the slot as our 3rd receiver most of the game and then he'd get 5 snaps a game or so at QB. He was a defenses nightmare in those days. I think all the D's in the league breathed a huge sigh of relief when the Steelers made him their starting QB. No more trickery and a weak pocket passer.

Bayz101
02-19-2012, 04:48 PM
This guy I work with from Pit said there was a HUGE rumor Kordell is gay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWWQHBalJw&feature=related

jiminpa
02-19-2012, 10:39 PM
The gay rumors were just that... Somebody's cousin's uncle's sister's friend's nephew was a cop at Shenley Park, or Frick Park, or South Park and supposedly busted Kordell soliciting young men.

Kordell was not a QB. He didn't have the vision a QB needs. He saw running lanes. He could put the ball exactly were he wanted it from 70 yards away; he just couldn't see where to throw it. He was always behind the receiver because he was throwing to where the receiver was as he started the throw, not where he was going to be. He could have been the Polamalu of slot back/receivers, and should have been. He was also a very good punter, and took his last snaps in Baltimore punting. It wasn't the coordinators. It wasn't Cowher, (and Donahoe wouldn't bring in anyone good). Kordell was playing WAY out of position.

Bayz101
02-19-2012, 11:48 PM
The gay rumors were just that... Somebody's cousin's uncle's sister's friend's nephew was a cop at Shenley Park, or Frick Park, or South Park and supposedly busted Kordell soliciting young men.

Kordell was not a QB. He didn't have the vision a QB needs. He saw running lanes. He could put the ball exactly were he wanted it from 70 yards away; he just couldn't see where to throw it. He was always behind the receiver because he was throwing to where the receiver was as he started the throw, not where he was going to be. He could have been the Polamalu of slot back/receivers, and should have been. He was also a very good punter, and took his last snaps in Baltimore punting. It wasn't the coordinators. It wasn't Cowher, (and Donahoe wouldn't bring in anyone good). Kordell was playing WAY out of position.

_jWWQHBalJw

BKAnthem
02-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Kordell wasn't as Bad as People say...he just had a confidence issue, when he was on..he was deadly...when he was down...he was pretty bad

madtowndrunkard
02-20-2012, 12:57 PM

Dick Lebeau is GAY! :yikes:

holy crap it's true... It's now on the MSN home page next to Tomlin beating the crap out of a photographer... apparently he's the new Sean Penn.

madtowndrunkard
02-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Kordell wasn't as Bad as People say...he just had a confidence issue, when he was on..he was deadly...when he was down...he was pretty bad

Not as bad as people say? I'd agree... he was worse.

That guy cost us at least 2 SB rings.

LayingTheWoodley56
02-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Kordell was one of the reasons I became a Steeler fan. I was born in New York in 1990, where I live to this day. My Dad is a die-hard Giants fan. I had no reason to make Pittsburgh my football home, but a combination of the aura of the franchise, the aethestically pleasing color scheme of our uniforms, and - yes - the allure of an exciting young player named Kordell Stewart spurred me to buy a #10 jersey, spurn my state and my father and align myself forever with the Black & Gold.

Best decision I ever made, so thank you

6RingsAndCounting
02-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Not as bad as people say? I'd agree... he was worse.

That guy cost us at least 2 SB rings.

I'm on board with you, it also helped that the Patriots knew what we were doing before we did,

LVSteelersfan
02-20-2012, 07:11 PM

You have your opinion. I have mine. Kordell couldn't throw the ball in the ocean if he was 10 feet away from it. He was pathetic. Erratic is probably a better word. And someone said he opened the way for today's athletic QBs. What a joke. Randall Cunningham holds that distinction. Stewart couldn't shine Cunningham's shoes. And I am also of the opinion that Odonnell was BY FAR the superior QB over Kordell. People will not give up on the fact he threw two INTs in a Super Bowl but I bet you 10 to 1 the receiver ran the wrong route on both of those picks. And people saying he was paid to throw the game are hilarious.

lardlad
02-20-2012, 07:29 PM

Very nice. And I think fair. He was a great talent, but couldn't get it right upstairs.

StainlessStill
02-20-2012, 07:57 PM
You have your opinion. I have mine. Kordell couldn't throw the ball in the ocean if he was 10 feet away from it. He was pathetic. Erratic is probably a better word. And someone said he opened the way for today's athletic QBs. What a joke. Randall Cunningham holds that distinction. Stewart couldn't shine Cunningham's shoes. And I am also of the opinion that Odonnell was BY FAR the superior QB over Kordell. People will not give up on the fact he threw two INTs in a Super Bowl but I bet you 10 to 1 the receiver ran the wrong route on both of those picks. And people saying he was paid to throw the game are hilarious.

That's cool that you have your opinion. I'm glad you do, same with the other thousands of posters on this board. Fact of the matter is, as BAD or WORSE as people claim Kordell to be, he was just as GOOD in his first couple years from 1995-1997 and then AGAIN in 2001. Kordell was a phenom in 2001. Made all the right throws and played lights out. The AFC Championship game where he overthrew Plax was a HORRENDOUS decision but also remember that we didn't have a 100% Busey and 14 of New England's points came off of erratic SPECIAL TEAMS play.

I'm not defending Kordell and his beyond pathetic years from 1998, 1999 (lets face it, our teams in '98 and '99 were dreadful) and 2002 (the guy only played 3 games, but I bet you forget that when Kordell stepped in for an injured Tommy Maddox later in the season, he played exceptionally well.)

Even in 2000 he almost saved our ass and took us to the playoffs after that Kent Graham nightmare (Kent Graham proves my point in Kordell's downfall and how we never had 100% confidence in him.) In fact, I look at the 2000 season as one of Kordell's best. Instinctively, people only want to fault him for the 1997 performance against Elway and that INT against New England in '01 and the obvious rebuilding years from '98-'99.

As I said, Kordell should shoulder most of the blame for not putting another ring on our fingers and he was a damaged QB for the most part, but stop acting like he never did any good because quite frankly, he did. Plus, he was a Raven killer. That dude had Baltimore's number, kind of like Ben does.

zcoop
02-20-2012, 08:03 PM
That's cool that you have your opinion. I'm glad you do, same with the other thousands of posters on this board. Fact of the matter is, as BAD or WORSE as people claim Kordell to be, he was just as GOOD in his first couple years from 1995-1997 and then AGAIN in 2001. Kordell was a phenom in 2001. Made all the right throws and played lights out. The AFC Championship game where he overthrew Plax was a HORRENDOUS decision but also remember that we didn't have a 100% Busey and 14 of New England's points came off of erratic SPECIAL TEAMS play.

I'm not defending Kordell and his beyond pathetic years from 1998, 1999 (lets face it, our teams in '98 and '99 were dreadful) and 2002 (the guy only played 3 games, but I bet you forget that when Kordell stepped in for an injured Tommy Maddox later in the season, he played exceptionally well.)

Even in 2000 he almost saved our ass and took us to the playoffs that season after that Kent Graham nightmare. In fact, I look at the 2000 season as one of Kordell's best. Instinctively, people only want to fault him for the 1997 performance against Elway and that INT against New England in '01.

As I said, Kordell should shoulder most of the blame for not putting another ring on our fingers and he was a damaged QB for the most part, but stop acting like he never did any good because quite frankly, he did. Plus, he was a Raven killer. That dude had Baltimore's number, kind of like Ben does.

This right here:applaudit:

Kordell did the best he could with what he had to work with. I don't see how some can praise O'Donnell yet dog Kordell :noidea:

Both left some sure wins out there on the field.

Steel Peon
02-20-2012, 08:08 PM
The only thing I recall seeing of him is he was really fast on his feet.
Well that's about it........and the whole "Slash" thing........the big mistake was taking an extremely versatile player and stuffing him into 1 role, that he was just kinda ok at.

madtowndrunkard
02-20-2012, 10:30 PM
I find it hysterical that some people think it was Cowher's fault that Kordell stunk.... because Cowher tried to make him a QB? Who else did we have? It was kordel or nothing. Fact of the matter is - take away kordell and we had a legit SB quality team.

We won with Kordel because we had a GREAT running game and a GREAT defense. The team carried Kordell o their back. When the team finally needed the QB to contribute in the playoffs - he failed miserable. All we needed was Kordell to not turn the ball over and get the occasional 1st down. That guy turned the ball over at the most crucial times and it ended our playoff runs more then once.

It was disheartening to watch those teams fail every year because their QB was not good enough. Those teams w/ Kordell were awesome. Imagine if we only had an average QB at the time who didn't turn the ball over? Kordell's mistakes cost us 2 SB rings - period. Try to re right history if you want. Fact of the matter is Kordell Stewart failed his teammates and fans. The rare times they actually needed Kordell to put the game away he failed with consistency.

As for QB's with physical skills... He had the legs but no arm or personality to play the position. He wasn't a leader... he couldn't grasp the offense, he was as inaccurate a QB I've ever seen, and he failed miserable in big games...everything you don't want in a QB. C

Comparing him to Cunningham is a total insult to Cunningham. Stewart perpetuated the stereo type that you can't win with black QB's. Guys like Moon and Cunningham are HOF caliber QB's that proved that stereo type was false and paved the way for guys like McNair and Vick.

Lady Steel
02-20-2012, 11:24 PM
I remember Kordell being benched at least three times. I remember one time in particular when he cried because he was benched. Jeeze Louise. :chuckle:

He didn't do so well when he wasn't able to play the "Slash" role.

tony hipchest
02-21-2012, 12:02 AM
I find it hysterical that some people think it was Cowher's fault that Kordell stunk.... because Cowher tried to make him a QB? Who else did we have? It was kordel or nothing. Fact of the matter is - take away kordell and we had a legit SB quality team.

We won with Kordel because we had a GREAT running game and a GREAT defense. The team carried Kordell o their back. When the team finally needed the QB to contribute in the playoffs - he failed miserable. All we needed was Kordell to not turn the ball over and get the occasional 1st down. That guy turned the ball over at the most crucial times and it ended our playoff runs more then once.

It was disheartening to watch those teams fail every year because their QB was not good enough. Those teams w/ Kordell were awesome. Imagine if we only had an average QB at the time who didn't turn the ball over? Kordell's mistakes cost us 2 SB rings - period. Try to re right history if you want. Fact of the matter is Kordell Stewart failed his teammates and fans. The rare times they actually needed Kordell to put the game away he failed with consistency.

As for QB's with physical skills... He had the legs but no arm or personality to play the position. He wasn't a leader... he couldn't grasp the offense, he was as inaccurate a QB I've ever seen, and he failed miserable in big games...everything you don't want in a QB. C

Comparing him to Cunningham is a total insult to Cunningham. Stewart perpetuated the stereo type that you can't win with black QB's. Guys like Moon and Cunningham are HOF caliber QB's that proved that stereo type was false and paved the way for guys like McNair and Vick.those great cowher teams that shoulda won a sb every year failed in 94, 95, 96, (were just average 98-00) 02, & 04. were those kordells fault as well? more like par for the cowher course. :noidea:

the 2 years kordell was given a legitimate chance with a legitimate team and coordinator he took the team to the championship game. thats more than what cunningham or vick can say.

it wasnt until the new stadium was built that the rooneys could even afford a franchise qb, let alone keep good free agents.

and despite kordells 3 picks in 2001 it was the special teams that shit the bed. we shoulda been able to beat the patriots with 5 int's.

in 1997 the coaching staff took the ball out of jeromes hands at the most inopportune time, and elway mastered yet another game winning drive (3rd and 7 to shannon sharpe).

sure dan marino, montana, favre, or moon woulda won those games, but we simply couldnt have afforded a qb of that calibur year in and year out. doesnt mean kordell was shit like the fans such as yourself still portray him to be.

ricardisimo
02-21-2012, 01:32 AM
I think Steeler fans in particular tend to think that championships is all that matters. Any season that doesn't bring in a Lombardi is a complete waste. I happen to think that Steelers football is also exceptionally fun to watch. And very few Steelers were more fun to watch than Kordell when he was on. When he was off, well... but several of his games are etched permanently into my brain for good reasons, too.

Bayz101
02-21-2012, 01:35 AM
I think Steeler fans in particular tend to think that championships is all that matters. Any season that doesn't bring in a Lombardi is a complete waste. I happen to think that Steelers football is also exceptionally fun to watch. And very few Steelers were more fun to watch than Kordell when he was on. When he was off, well... but several of his games are etched permanently into my brain for good reasons, too.

The biggest thing I get out of being a Steelers fan is that I know we're always the team NO ONE want's to play in the playoffs.

Steel Peon
02-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Hey Lady Steel.........is your avatar the new image the CERN got trying to find the Higgs-Boson? If so, it would make perfect sense that God is a Steelers fan..........who says science is a waste of time?

madtowndrunkard
02-21-2012, 10:14 AM
those great cowher teams that shoulda won a sb every year failed in 94, 95, 96, (were just average 98-00) 02, & 04. were those kordells fault as well? more like par for the cowher course. :noidea:

the 2 years kordell was given a legitimate chance with a legitimate team and coordinator he took the team to the championship game. thats more than what cunningham or vick can say.

it wasnt until the new stadium was built that the rooneys could even afford a franchise qb, let alone keep good free agents.

and despite kordells 3 picks in 2001 it was the special teams that shit the bed. we shoulda been able to beat the patriots with 5 int's.

in 1997 the coaching staff took the ball out of jeromes hands at the most inopportune time, and elway mastered yet another game winning drive (3rd and 7 to shannon sharpe).

sure dan marino, montana, favre, or moon woulda won those games, but we simply couldnt have afforded a qb of that calibur year in and year out. doesnt mean kordell was shit like the fans such as yourself still portray him to be.

We made it to the AFCC because of Bettis and our defense - period. Dont throw 3 picks and we are in the SB. We are talking about the ability of Stewart...not the ST's play. Yea the ST's hurt us...but so did Stewart and he did NOTHING to over come the mistakes of the ST's unit or his own mistakes. Nor was he the reason we were there in the first place. Every playoff game Stewart was in, was because of his teammates - not him.

Stewart had a few teams around him that were talented enough to win a SB. When he did not have the talent around him to win a SB - we stunk. He was horrible. Put him on any average team in the NFL and they will be lucky to win 6 games.

The other guys actually won games for their teams... Vick is a little bit like Stewart - except Vick has better wheels and a better field presence.

madtowndrunkard
02-21-2012, 10:30 AM
That oh so amazing year for Stewart in 2001... wasn't so impressive comparing him to other QB's at the time.

here's a list of QB's who had more passing yards then Stewart in 2001:

Kitna
McNabb
Feidler
Brunell
McNair
Johnson
Flutie
Garcia
Plummer
Collins
Gannon
Brooks
Favre
Manning
Warner

Stewart was pretty much even with Tim Couch and Chris Weinke (Weinke's rookie year) And this was Stewarts BEST season of his career as a QB. He ranked 17th in passing yards / 22st in YPG / 21st in TD's. Among QB's with 16 starts he was last in game winning drives w/ 1. Lets not forget he had a great O-line and the #1 running game in the NFL and the #1 defense in the NFL.

StainlessStill
02-21-2012, 12:08 PM
That oh so amazing year for Stewart in 2001... wasn't so impressive comparing him to other QB's at the time.

here's a list of QB's who had more passing yards then Stewart in 2001:

Kitna
McNabb
Feidler
Brunell
McNair
Johnson
Flutie
Garcia
Plummer
Collins
Gannon
Brooks
Favre
Manning
Warner

Stewart was pretty much even with Tim Couch and Chris Weinke (Weinke's rookie year) And this was Stewarts BEST season of his career as a QB. He ranked 17th in passing yards / 22st in YPG / 21st in TD's. Among QB's with 16 starts he was last in game winning drives w/ 1. Lets not forget he had a great O-line and the #1 running game in the NFL and the #1 defense in the NFL.

Lets not forget that Kordell was a contributor for having the league's #1 running game and teams needed to respect his ability to scorn them with his legs. He threw for over 3,000 yards that season (an amazing feat for any Steelers QB in that modern age Power-I NFL with the likes of Jerome Bettis standing behind him who handled the majority of the offense) and also rushed for 5 touchdowns on the ground. Stewart had his best year as a pro attaining a passer rating of 81.7. He was named to the Pro Bowl and voted Steelers MVP.

Hell, that "oh-so amazing year" Kordell had in 2001 led to an NFL-MVP debate and Stewart's was indeed in the running. Here's a little paragraph from Peter King in 2001:

St. Louis head coach Mike Martz has lobbied Sports Illustrated's Peter King for an MVP vote to be cast for Rams QB Kurt Warner: Asks Martz: "Is anyone more deserving of the MVP than Kurt?" Meanwhile, SI's Don Banks says the running order -- with two weeks remaining -- is Green Bay's Brett Favre, Warner and Pittsburgh's Kordell Stewart. CNNSI.com users weighed-in with their opinions on those picks, as well as some other suggestions.

When Kordell was bad, he was potentially the worst. But it's not hard to give credit where credit is due. Kordell had some good years and contributed on great Steelers teams.

jiminpa
02-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Actually Kordell's arm was not the problem. He could drop it in a garbage can from 70 yards every time, as long as the garbage can was stationary and he didn't have to anticipate. He didn't see what a QB needs to see. He saw what a RB or WR needs to see.

Here is the list of QBs who Kordell was behind on the depth chart AFTER his supposedly great 2001 season. The same season that the Steelers used the HB pass when they needed a completion.

Tommy Maddox
Chris Chandler
Rex Grossman
Kyle Boller
Anthony Wright

More of a where are they now list than a who's who QB list. He finished his football career higher up on the punter depth chart than the QB depth chart for the purple crows.

StainlessStill
02-21-2012, 12:20 PM
The same season that the Steelers used the HB pass when they needed a completion.

You do realize our game clinching touchdown and one of the most important plays in one of our Super Bowl victories in 2005 came with a wide receiver throwing it to another wide receiver, right? Also, since then, the likes of Cedric Wilson and Antwaan Randle-El AGAIN threw pass's not named Roethlisberger. Just last season, I recall Emmanuel Sanders throwing a roll-out pass to Mike Wallace if I'm not mistaken.

I like how you made that sentence in contex to make it sound like we used that play because of Kordell's inability to throw the football, haha. Remember in 2001, it was Mularky's offense. Nice try, though.

Danny136200
02-21-2012, 12:32 PM

The two biggest heartbreaks I had was when I was young was the 97 championship game (I do not remember much of it, just Elway's smiling face as time was expiring in the fourth quarter and kordell's throw into double coverage in the end zone) and the 2001 championship game. I do beleive if we would have won the SB in 01 if we would have beaten the pats that year.

jiminpa
02-21-2012, 12:33 PM
You do realize our game clinching touchdown and one of the most important plays in one of our Super Bowl victories in 2005 came with a wide receiver throwing it to another wide receiver, right? Also, since then, the likes of Cedric Wilson and Antwaan Randle-El AGAIN threw pass's not named Roethlisberger. Just last season, I recall Emmanuel Sanders throwing a roll-out pass to Mike Wallace if I'm not mistaken.

I like how you made that sentence in contex to make it sound like we used that play because of Kordell's inability to throw the football, haha. Remember in 2001, it was Mularky's offense. Nice try, though.Actually it looked to me like it was to have someone other than Kordell throw the ball when it really mattered.

StainlessStill
02-21-2012, 12:37 PM
The two biggest heartbreaks I had was when I was young was the 97 championship game (I do not remember much of it, just Elway's smiling face as time was expiring in the fourth quarter and kordell's throw into double coverage in the end zone) and the 2001 championship game. I do beleive if we would have won the SB in 01 if we would have beaten the pats that year.

I don't put 100% fault on Stewart in the 2001 Title Game. He had a bad game but he did lead the team down the field to tie the game at 17-17 when Amos ran in a T.D ( correct me if I'm wrong.) We gave up a touchdown to Bledsoe early when Brady went down and then 2 special teams DISASTER touchdown's.

Kordell's pass into triple coverage in '97 was bad. In fact, I was sitting just left of the endzone in that Title Game. I remember we were up and then failed miserably to get Bettis involved in the game before halftime. Before you know it, we're down. During the last 2 minutes, Kordell led us down the field and hit Charles Johnson to bring us within 3. A huge 3rd and 10 WHIFF from Jason Gildon decided that game on Denver's final drive but Kordell shoulder's most of the blame for his lousy interceptions in the endzone.

LVSteelersfan
02-21-2012, 12:38 PM

Comparing him to Cunningham is a total insult to Cunningham. Stewart perpetuated the stereo type that you can't win with black QB's. Guys like Moon and Cunningham are HOF caliber QB's that proved that stereo type was false and paved the way for guys like McNair and Vick.

I certainly wasn't comparing Kordell to Cunningham in any way shape or form. Cunningham was exciting, could run as good or better than Kordell and took his Vikings team to one of the best seasons a team ever had in their history.

Stewart had one good season with the Steelers, some ok ones when he was just the Slash role, and some horrible seasons. And to top it off, he is a horrible football analyst. :rofl:

StainlessStill
02-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Actually it looked to me like it was to have someone other than Kordell throw the ball when it really mattered.

Nah, I think it was just a trick play in catching the defense off-guard. Mularky was known for that and so was Whiz. Bettis also threw a touchdown pass in '02 in the Tommy Gun era and some teams still have that play in their holster for some occasions.

StainlessStill
02-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Stewart had one good season with the Steelers, some ok ones when he was just the Slash role, and some horrible seasons. And to top it off, he is a horrible football analyst. :rofl:

He had 3 good seasons with the Steelers as a starting QB: 1997, 2000 & 2001. He even had a very good year in 2000 and saved us from Kent Graham. We missed the playoffs by one game in 2000 with the AFC Central DOMINATED by the Titans and Jaguars.

Those horrible seasons came in 1998, 1999 (when we were just a BAD overall football team that had Cowher on the hot-seat) and again in 2002, where he only played 3 games but filled in nicely when Maddox went down with his spinal chord injury. The in the middle stuff involved changing OC's yearly and also QB coach's tampering with his game. Kordell was set up to fail and when it was all said and done, he did. Still, he had good seasons worth noting.

fujirama24
02-21-2012, 03:58 PM
Kordell's #1 problem was he never lived up to the hype. His first coulple of years he was part QB, part Wr AKA slash and he excelled at that. Then he took over at quarterback. I think he took over for mike tomzack. His first year he had like 22 passing TD's and 11 rushing TD's. After that year he was horrible. And as some of the others said he manage the game at best. He was fun to watch in his early years though.

6RingsAndCounting
02-21-2012, 04:30 PM
If Kordell wouldn't been our quarterback, we wouldn't have gotten Tommy Maddox. If Tommy hadn't started, we wouldn't have been looking for a quarterback in 2004 (I'm guessing). Therefore, without Kordell, there is no Ben. :) think positive

Fire Arians
02-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Kordell was a great player, just not a great QB. When he was in his slash role, he was lethal. But he had to go and try to be an everydown QB and then it all went to shit. He was the origianal wildcat QB. They'd line him up in the slot as our 3rd receiver most of the game and then he'd get 5 snaps a game or so at QB. He was a defenses nightmare in those days. I think all the D's in the league breathed a huge sigh of relief when the Steelers made him their starting QB. No more trickery and a weak pocket passer.

this. he had crazy talent. he could have either been our best RB or WR, and could also be our backup punter, and a serviceable qb.

if kept in the 'slash' role, this guy could have been a hall of famer.

Fire Arians
02-21-2012, 05:24 PM
If Kordell wouldn't been our quarterback, we wouldn't have gotten Tommy Maddox. If Tommy hadn't started, we wouldn't have been looking for a quarterback in 2004 (I'm guessing). Therefore, without Kordell, there is no Ben. :) think positive

i don't know, i think he would have landed with the steelers judging by the way the draft was going. we didn't feel we needed a new qb under maddox, but from what I understand, when ben dropped all the way down to the steelers, that was just too good a player to pass up, and they basically took the BPA as they always do.

zcoop
02-21-2012, 06:01 PM
He had 3 good seasons with the Steelers as a starting QB: 1997, 2000 & 2001. He even had a very good year in 2000 and saved us from Kent Graham. We missed the playoffs by one game in 2000 with the AFC Central DOMINATED by the Titans and Jaguars.

Those horrible seasons came in 1998, 1999 (when we were just a BAD overall football team that had Cowher on the hot-seat) and again in 2002, where he only played 3 games but filled in nicely when Maddox went down with his spinal chord injury. The in the middle stuff involved changing OC's yearly and also QB coach's tampering with his game. Kordell was set up to fail and when it was all said and done, he did. Still, he had good seasons worth noting.

This right here. Kordell added much value to our program. If we used the logic of some posters, then Bradshaw and Ben are the only good Qbs we've had because they're the only ones to win SBs. No QB in NFL history has won with revolving door OC's like Kordell had to deal with.

Maddox, Stewart and O'Donnell were given teams capable of winning but each of them played with teams that did not win one. Now, did Kordell screw up? Damn right he did and so did the others. Ben even tossed two Ints in last year's SB which I feel cost us another one. But no one on this board wants to admit that.