PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert to play LT next year

Bayz101
02-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Steelers will move Marcus Gilbert to left tackle

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 20, 2012, 9:35 AM EST

The Steelers have a lot of questions on the offensive line. But they hope they already have their left tackle of the present and future on the roster.

Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert told 93.7 the Fan in Pittsburgh that the team will move Marcus Gilbert from right tackle to left tackle next season. Thatís not a good sign for Max Starks, who tore his ACL and is an impending free agent.

Gilbert, a second round pick in 2011, looked competent while starting most of last season at right tackle. The team expects Willie Colon to return from injury and play right tackle. Jonathan Scott would be the swing tackle.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/20/steelers-will-move-marcus-gilbert-to-left-tackle/

kan_t
02-20-2012, 12:24 PM
He's a decent starting RT. Not sure if he can handle LT. He better can. Scott is an awful downgrade.

fujirama24
02-20-2012, 12:27 PM
This is the obvious choice. Max isn't going to be ready till maybe the playoffs next year. So he is done. Having scott as the backup though is terrible, just release the guy and go get someone else. Or resign trai essex and let him swing. LOL. Scott stinks. And I can't see paying a backup 2.2 mil with a cap hit of 2.7 mil. Get him out of here.

Bayz101
02-20-2012, 12:38 PM
I was as aggravated with Scott as any other fan that game he got knocked around, but in a more recent game he was mauling people and knocking them off there feet. I'm not sold that he's as bad as that game made him look, I think it was just a hiccup.

Black N' Yellow
02-20-2012, 01:50 PM
That doesn't sound awful considering we're most likely going to get another tackle/guard added into the rotation in the offseason.

So right now it's
Gilbert -- Kemo -- Pouncey -- Foster -- Colon

PhantomJB93
02-20-2012, 01:58 PM
It's gonna be a challenge for him but I trust him to do well. Considering he stepped in as a rookie when nobody expected him to play and played more than solid at RT in his first year, I think he'll be a solid starting tackle for years to come.

tanda10506
02-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Wow I must be living under a rock, I knew Mendy and Hampton tore ACL's but when did Starks? Starks played great this year, really impressive in the Baltimore game, this line was garbage before him. Gilbert at LT and Colon at RT sounds terrible, a guy with one year experience going up against the best pass rushers and a guy who hasnt played much in two years on the otherside? Not good! Gilbert did well, but not spectacular, I dont see him being succesful at LT already. Without Starks this line will be like it was in weeks 1-4, maybe we should stop worrying about how much it will take to sign Wallace and focus strictly on the O line. You cant draft a whole starting o line, usually only a few rookie lineman are starting quality like Pouncey, which is what we need at a few spots. Need to free up some room for at least one FA o lineman who can play now!

StainlessStill
02-20-2012, 02:16 PM
Wow I must be living under a rock, I knew Mendy and Hampton tore ACL's but when did Starks?

Starks, Hampton & Keisel all went out with season ending injuries in that Denver Wild Card game. Starks/Hampton knee, Keisel groin.

MasterOfPuppets
02-20-2012, 02:24 PM
i thought gilbert did ..ok... at RT for a rookie , but i didn't see anything that made me think he should be on the left side . :noidea:
god only knows what to expect from colon after 2 years of couch time. i hope they have plan B up their sleeves just in case. and i sure as hell hope plan B doesn't involve scott or essex..:doh:

FrancoLambert
02-20-2012, 02:55 PM
The best part was, "it doesn't look good for Starks."
Look, we got as much out of Max as we could, it's time to cut the old and let the young play.
Any move meant to improve the O-line has to be pursued.

FrancoLambert
02-20-2012, 02:59 PM
That doesn't sound awful considering we're most likely going to get another tackle/guard added into the rotation in the offseason.

So right now it's
Gilbert -- Kemo -- Pouncey -- Foster -- Colon

:noidea:
I don't know.
Another year of Kemo, Foster? Essex too? What about Scott?
Questionable Colon?
Still too many questions and too much old wood to convince me the O-line is going to be SIGNIFICANTLY better next year with this core remaining intact.

stb_steeler
02-20-2012, 03:05 PM
i thought gilbert did ..ok... at RT for a rookie , but i didn't see anything that made me think he should be on the left side . :noidea:
god only knows what to expect from colon after 2 years of couch time. i hope they have plan B up their sleeves just in case. and i sure as hell hope plan B doesn't involve scott or essex..:doh:

We can still call up on Arians and ask him as a consultant right?......:chuckle:

ricardisimo
02-20-2012, 03:24 PM
Starks, Hampton & Keisel all went out with season ending injuries in that Denver Wild Card game. Starks/Hampton knee, Keisel groin.
Well, technically speaking, everyone on the team went out with a season-ending injury in the Denver game... if only injured pride.

60_MINUTES
02-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Lets pray we have more brains than this.. its the worst nightmare of mine coming true so far.. lets hope they dont go into the season with this mind set and they actually draft a T that can step right in and play... GOD help us... history says they will do exactly what Kevin C said...

Are the Steelers the Dumbest FO in the league all of a sudden... what are you thinking please tell me your not gonna have that as our starting lineup!!!!!

Gilbert I actually think can will become a great LT.. but you are gonna depend on a guy who has missed the past two years for your other T spot... and as a back up your gonna put a guy that proved last year he cant get it done in this league... Jonthan Scott played himself out of the league last year IMO...

Please FO bring a T in that can start right now.. move Gilbert if you want to and put Colon down at guard... or in my worst nightmare you can Start Gilbert LT Doug L at LG Pouncey Foster and Colon with Essex and Scott backing them up... OMG are you kidding me Lets Pray this is a smoke screen and this is not what the Steelers have in mind

ricardisimo
02-20-2012, 05:29 PM
Lets pray we have more brains than this.. its the worst nightmare of mine coming true so far.. lets hope they dont go into the season with this mind set and they actually draft a T that can step right in and play... GOD help us... history says they will do exactly what Kevin C said...

Are the Steelers the Dumbest FO in the league all of a sudden... what are you thinking please tell me your not gonna have that as our starting lineup!!!!!

Gilbert I actually think can will become a great LT.. but you are gonna depend on a guy who has missed the past two years for your other T spot... and as a back up your gonna put a guy that proved last year he cant get it done in this league... Jonthan Scott played himself out of the league last year IMO...

Please FO bring a T in that can start right now.. move Gilbert if you want to and put Colon down at guard... or in my worst nightmare you can Start Gilbert LT Doug L at LG Pouncey Foster and Colon with Essex and Scott backing them up... OMG are you kidding me Lets Pray this is a smoke screen and this is not what the Steelers have in mind
For starters, we just did draft a tackle who stepped right in and played. No big. Secondly, we're looking to draft guards most likely, not tackles this year. Guards get more help in play and so can learn on the job a bit more easily. Certainly a 1st-rounder like DeCastro or Glenn should be able to pull that off. How is any of this "dumb"?

Rick5895
02-20-2012, 06:36 PM
I think this is a very good move. Gilbert will be a very good LT for years, he may struggle a bit at the start but IMO he will be very solid for us by the end of the year

BKAnthem
02-20-2012, 06:58 PM
I love to see them Draft a Tackle and guard 1-2...I like Gilbert Better on the Right...and Scott seems t be a better fit at Guard

OX1947
02-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Wasn't Left Tackle his natural position coming out of college?

Bayz101
02-20-2012, 07:19 PM
He started at both guard and tackle positions in Florida. He never really had a natural position, he's just been flexible.

60_MINUTES
02-20-2012, 10:38 PM
I love to see them Draft a Tackle and guard 1-2...I like Gilbert Better on the Right...and Scott seems t be a better fit at Guard

Bingo or 1 and 3 but we need 2 of the top 3 IMO as well

60_MINUTES
02-20-2012, 10:45 PM
For starters, we just did draft a tackle who stepped right in and played. No big. Secondly, we're looking to draft guards most likely, not tackles this year. Guards get more help in play and so can learn on the job a bit more easily. Certainly a 1st-rounder like DeCastro or Glenn should be able to pull that off. How is any of this "dumb"?

because thats not enough to be great or solid IMO...Yes I agree we need a guard as well... I think we should draft 2 out of 3 OL this year... what my biggest worry is would be the Steelers think going into the year without drafting any OL in first 2 rounds would work... What Im saying is it would be dumb to go into the year with Gilbert Doug Pouncey foster colon.... Colon hasnt played in two years and we dont know how well gilbert will handel left side yet... lets say Colon gets hurt.. then you have to bank on Scott to protect BEN again beside of foster... thats what I think is dumb and my biggest fear... I for one am tired of the shitty line and finishing the season with guys like scott in the game... Lets please draft a guard and T in the draft and go into the season with depth and great players for years to come

if you go Guard and T with first 3 picks both should be able to step right in

Gilbert first round pick pouncey colon 2nd round pick.... doug and foster backing up and colon to swing at tackle.... now that would be a stud line and kill people up front... yes i know we need some D but Im just so damn tired of our O line play that I cant take it anymore
:drink:

lloydwoodson
02-21-2012, 12:32 AM
I feel that the offensive line will continue to improve as it has the last three seasons. I notice that Gilbert doesn't get beat inside, rather he pushes rushers to the outside and steers them wide of Ben. If Ben steps forward when he feels pressure the way Gilbert plays shouldn't be a big issue. If Ben scrambles right I could see some problems. I think whoever plays will be just fine because the standard is the standard :thumbsup:

ricardisimo
02-21-2012, 01:20 AM
because thats not enough to be great or solid IMO...Yes I agree we need a guard as well... I think we should draft 2 out of 3 OL this year... what my biggest worry is would be the Steelers think going into the year without drafting any OL in first 2 rounds would work... What Im saying is it would be dumb to go into the year with Gilbert Doug Pouncey foster colon.... Colon hasnt played in two years and we dont know how well gilbert will handel left side yet... lets say Colon gets hurt.. then you have to bank on Scott to protect BEN again beside of foster... thats what I think is dumb and my biggest fear... I for one am tired of the shitty line and finishing the season with guys like scott in the game... Lets please draft a guard and T in the draft and go into the season with depth and great players for years to come

if you go Guard and T with first 3 picks both should be able to step right in

Gilbert first round pick pouncey colon 2nd round pick.... doug and foster backing up and colon to swing at tackle.... now that would be a stud line and kill people up front... yes i know we need some D but Im just so damn tired of our O line play that I cant take it anymore
:drink:
I've stated elsewhere that if, as I suspect, we lose Wallace but gain a first round pick, I'd love to trade up with one of them (plus a 3rd) to get DeCastro, and still consider using the second one on someone like Cordy Glenn. Our line would almost automatically go from awful to one of the league's best (assuming Colon can stay healthy).

I will be rather upset if we get two first round picks and spend them both on D.

Bayz101
02-21-2012, 01:31 AM
I've stated elsewhere that if, as I suspect, we lose Wallace but gain a first round pick, I'd love to trade up with one of them (plus a 3rd) to get DeCastro, and still consider using the second one on someone like Cordy Glenn. Our line would almost automatically go from awful to one of the league's best (assuming Colon can stay healthy).

I will be rather upset if we get two first round picks and spend them both on D.

I'd be pissed. We've needed some fresh lineman for years, it's time to get it done.

ricardisimo
02-21-2012, 01:35 AM
I'd be pissed. We've needed some fresh lineman for years, it's time to get it done.
The problem is that if the mantra everyone repeats is true - that the Steelers take BPA and only BPA and damned the torpedoes - then it just might happen. The two Dontas become a distinct possibility: Dont'a Hightower and Dontari Poe.

Mr. Colbert! Please! Don'ta do it!!

Bayz101
02-21-2012, 01:38 AM
The problem is that if the mantra everyone repeats is true - that the Steelers take BPA and only BPA and damned the torpedoes - then it just might happen. The two Dontas become a distinct possibility: Dont'a Hightower and Dontari Poe.

Mr. Colbert! Please! Don'ta do it!!

:rofl:

Fire Arians
02-21-2012, 11:46 AM
gilbert will be fine. if anything he can't possibly be worse than jonathan 'rollerskates' scott