PDA

View Full Version : Steelers front office fears they might lose Wallace

SteelCurtain5643
02-21-2012, 01:12 AM
According to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora, there is "real concern" in the Steelers' front office that they may lose restricted free agent Mike Wallace.
The Steelers are in a tough spot because they're so tight up against the salary cap. They'll place a first-round tender on Wallace, but a franchise tag isn't financially doable, and the tender would leave Pittsburgh vulnerable to teams willing to surrender a first-round pick. La Canfora mentioned the division-rival Ravens and Patriots as teams potentially interested in Wallace. Baltimore drafts at No. 29, and New England has two first-round picks.

God I hope this doesn't happen. I will kill everyone in the Steelers front office if it does. The guy is a star, hes a hell of a deep threat and can burn any defender with his speed. Especially if he goes to either of the above mentioned teams, I will be highly enraged. They need to cut whoever they can, hotdog vendors i do not care, they cannot lose Wallace.

ricardisimo
02-21-2012, 01:44 AM
Think about what you're saying. Do you honestly think they should cut, say, Ben Roethlisberger just so they can keep Mike Wallace?

We won't even get into how the guy disappeared the last six games. His defenders will point out how Ben was hurt those games, but last I checked Ben was hurt for Antonio Brown as well. I really don't see how anyone can justify breaking the bank for him. He's very, very good, yes. But we're relatively deep at his position, and we have major issues on the O-line and at inside linebacker that take priority.

Bayz101
02-21-2012, 01:46 AM
Isn't this the same dipshit that reported Hines as released two weeks ago?

Millers the sh!t
02-21-2012, 01:47 AM
According to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora, there is "real concern" in the Steelers' front office that they may lose restricted free agent Mike Wallace.
The Steelers are in a tough spot because they're so tight up against the salary cap. They'll place a first-round tender on Wallace, but a franchise tag isn't financially doable, and the tender would leave Pittsburgh vulnerable to teams willing to surrender a first-round pick. La Canfora mentioned the division-rival Ravens and Patriots as teams potentially interested in Wallace. Baltimore drafts at No. 29, and New England has two first-round picks.

God I hope this doesn't happen. I will kill everyone in the Steelers front office if it does. The guy is a star, hes a hell of a deep threat and can burn any defender with his speed. Especially if he goes to either of the above mentioned teams, I will be highly enraged. They need to cut whoever they can, hotdog vendors i do not care, they cannot lose Wallace.

I say let him go. I think I'd rather have a second first round pick that we could use to fill O line D line or MLB position. Maybe we can trade a first round and a 3rd round to move up a lot and grab a stud. Or trade a first round to get more picks in later rounds.

We really can't afford him and it'll be less money to leave us with to sign Cotchery, Brown, Sanders, Redman etc. It is nice having Wallace but I think it would be too much of an investment to keep him on the team. I say we can improve multiple positions by "downgrading" one and I think that it would be the smart decision in the long run.

If we can improve our redzone offense I think it'll make up for the loss of Wallace.

OX1947
02-21-2012, 02:35 AM
You people are like moths to the flame. Any yahoo can write that aliens are coming to Pittsburgh to ruin the team and you would believe it. Why don't you relax and quit panicking like a bunch of school girls waiting on their period for the first time.

OX1947
02-21-2012, 02:39 AM
And for the common sense geniuses out there, how the hell is Baltimore one of the teams interested when they are paying Boldin a crap load and have an up and coming stud in Torrey Smith and still need to sign Ray RIce? You are telling me the Ravens are going to pay #1 receiver money to Wallace, Boldin and Smith later on? Use your head.

Also, no one trades their first rounds for tendered restricted free agents. NO ONE. First rounders are platinum picks no one gives up.

Bayz101
02-21-2012, 02:39 AM
You people are like moths to the flame. Any yahoo can right that aliens are coming to Pittsburgh to ruin the team and you would believe it. Why don't you relax and quit panicking like a bunch of school girls waiting on their period for the first time.

It was merely a posted article, i'm not seeing any panic. This is a discussion board, we'll freely express our opinions and concerns. I won't say much more, because you may have meant to direct that comment elsewhere. Just keep in mind what this place is.

OX1947
02-21-2012, 02:41 AM
It was merely a posted article, i'm not seeing any panic. This is a discussion board, we'll freely express our opinions and concerns. I won't say much more, because you may have meant to direct that comment elsewhere. Just keep in mind what this place is.

So.

Bayz101
02-21-2012, 02:42 AM
So.

Nice comeback. Grow up.

OX1947
02-21-2012, 02:45 AM
Nice comeback. Grow up.

What are you my dad 20 years ago? When someone says they are going to kill the front office because their team doesn't sign their free agent, figure of speech or not, deserves to get clowned.

Bayz101
02-21-2012, 02:48 AM
What are you my dad 20 years ago? When someone says they are going to kill the front office because their team doesn't sign their free agent, figure of speech or not, deserves to get clowned.

If your not going to say anything nice, don't say anything at all :chuckle:

Bayz101
02-21-2012, 02:50 AM
You know I agree these articles are dumb, but this is a discussion board. Considering it's off-season, there's not much else to discuss. There's still Ben/Haley articles being made by the minute, all of the saying the same thing. But that doesn't mean people should be preached at because they'd like to talk about it...

Bayz101
02-21-2012, 02:59 AM
Anyways, it's the off-season. The media will put together plenty of stupid articles, and those articles will be here to comment on/make fun of/discuss. Just direct it towards the writer, and not those discussing it. That's where it get's messy. I'm out.

ricardisimo
02-21-2012, 03:49 AM
And for the common sense geniuses out there, how the hell is Baltimore one of the teams interested when they are paying Boldin a crap load and have an up and coming stud in Torrey Smith and still need to sign Ray RIce? You are telling me the Ravens are going to pay #1 receiver money to Wallace, Boldin and Smith later on? Use your head.

Also, no one trades their first rounds for tendered restricted free agents. NO ONE. First rounders are platinum picks no one gives up.
Well, that's not true. Clearly you haven't been paying attention to some of the premier organizations in the league, like Oakland, Washington, Cleveland, etc.

What are you my dad 20 years ago?
Bayz is, what?, 18 years old... that he calls your father to mind is probably very telling, but I'd rather not go there. Let's keep it civil here. Threatening to kill people over a free agent signing is obviously stupid, so we're going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt that he was just being hyperbolic. We can move on from there.

Bayz101
02-21-2012, 03:56 AM
Where in the hell is this threat at? I haven't slept in three day's, so forgive me, but I can't find it. I have to go to work now, again. Off the rest of the week, so i'll be in the right mindset sooner or later. Either way, QX, your original comment wasn't made at a specific user. It was made at the whole group, and that's why I commented on it.

I'm out, have a good day everyone.

Bayz101
02-21-2012, 04:00 AM
You people are like moths to the flame. Any yahoo can write that aliens are coming to Pittsburgh to ruin the team and you would believe it. Why don't you relax and quit panicking like a bunch of school girls waiting on their period for the first time.

It seemed like it was an attack towards the entire group, and that's why I stepped in. I don't mind the occasional bullshitting and what not, it's just I don't want everyone to fell as if they're being backed into a corner. I don't know, i'm tired, cranky, and I've got 9 hours of work ahead of me. Probably overreacting.

Lates.

Rick5895
02-21-2012, 04:03 AM
If Wallace decides not to resign at reasonable money then he goes, we get an extra first round pick. To all the doomsayers out there, that is not the worse thing that can happen. I don't really believe the Ratbirds are a viable option. Rice is going to cost them a ton, as is Flacco. The niners could be a problem, they have lots of cap room and Wallace would fit very nicely there. We are deep at WR even if Wallace leaves. It allows us to resign Cotchery and we would be able to get some much need OL and interior DL help with the extra 1st round pick.
I remember a similar uproar when Burress left and all we did was win the Super bowl the next season and play in two more after that winning one. But it is the off season AKA panic season!!! LOL.

Michael Vick's Dog
02-21-2012, 06:16 AM
The Steelers front office ain't telling crap to guys like Jason La Canfora or Schefter etc. It's just their own speculation.

The Steelers will do what they have to do to franchise Wallace. That doesn't mean he has to sign here. Depends on the type of tag. Players given an exclusive rights franchise tag cannot negotiate with other teams at all. Non-exclusive rights tags carry with it the ability to negotiate elsewhere, and if that results in an offer, the original team has the right to match it. If they choose not to, the second team must give the original team two first-round draft picks.

fujirama24
02-21-2012, 06:25 AM
The Steelers front office ain't telling crap to guys like Jason La Canfora or Schefter etc. It's just their own speculation.

The Steelers will do what they have to do to franchise Wallace. That doesn't mean he has to sign here. Depends on the type of tag. Players given an exclusive rights franchise tag cannot negotiate with other teams at all. Non-exclusive rights tags carry with it the ability to negotiate elsewhere, and if that results in an offer, the original team has the right to match it. If they choose not to, the second team must give the original team two first-round draft picks.

I don't believe there is a transitional tag anymore I believe they did away with it in the new CBA but not sure let me check on that.

fujirama24
02-21-2012, 06:27 AM
I believe he is gone. But I believe he will go to Chicago and we get pick #19.

fujirama24
02-21-2012, 06:39 AM
I don't believe there is a transitional tag anymore I believe they did away with it in the new CBA but not sure let me check on that.

I stand corrected. The Transitional tag or Non Exclusive right tag is still in affect. Too me a while to find it. My Bad!

jtbsteeler
02-21-2012, 07:40 AM
If he walks he walks. The Steelers need that #1 pick for the defense anyway. .

StainlessStill
02-21-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm not too worried about it. Obviously, our plan is to have Wallace as our #1 and said our first priority is Wallace, but glaring needs are elsewhere and if we can't give Wallace (whose attitude nature I can't stand) the number that he wants, or whatever's close to it, he's going to walk. It won't be the first time we lose a big name in this ordeal. Thankfully, we're deep at wideout and can overcome the loss. I just think Ben loves the deep-threat but sometimes, it was kind of a nuisance because we obviously forced it time and time again. We'll figure it out. Always do.

steelfury02
02-21-2012, 08:39 AM
honestly - for all intensive purposes - the guy has had two great first halfs of a season - I love him - he makes it easier for other guys to get open, he's had some great games and he is indeed improving on his route running (still needs to be a little more willing to block) - but he isn't on the same level as a Fitzgerald or Megatron or even Greg Jennings - he is not someone that has developed into the ultimate weapon that can't be stopped regardless of tight coverage or double teaming- maybe he will be - but branking the bank does not make sense on this guy.

A few posters have been mentioning it for a while - while we all would obviously want him to stay a Steeler - we just don't keep top tier WRs, with the exception of Hines over the course of his career. Also - if you were Wallace - how would you be feeling seeing probably the greatest if not one of the top 3 Steelers WRs of all time possibly not being able to finish his career out the way he wants to - regardless of him taking a pay cut (Steelers might just not want to use a roster spot on him at this point). If it were you - and you had a choice between 2.7 million and 10 to 12 million (heck - those with a boat load of cap space might pay him 15 mil) wouldn't it be hard to resist? The other argument is that if Wallace stays patient and hopefully sees that the grass isn't always greener and waits for his payday he'll decide to stick around.

madtowndrunkard
02-21-2012, 08:43 AM

The ravens have cap space...that's the difference. They don't have a $100million QB either.

But I did read that Flacco wants a pay raise...along with the need to sign Rice...Wallace might be out of the question for the Ravens. But the Patriots on the other hand have to be drooling over the opportunity to sign Wallace. They have 2 first round picks...and a huge need for another WR w/ speed...and the cap space. Lets not forget the fact that NE loves to stick it to the Steelers when ever they get a chance.

The AFC favorites for next year have to be NE, PItt, and B-more. If you are NE and you have the chance to improve your team while screwing your #1 competition for a SB ring - don't you do it?

Steelerindc
02-21-2012, 08:45 AM
I believe the Patriots to be the team to look out for. If there is one thing that we know, Beli-Cheat would do anything for the team even letting someone like Welker go in order to get Brady what he needs to get to another SB.

Wallace would give Brady the Deep threat he needs and with the two TE's, it would be unthinkable what they could do even without Wes.

madtowndrunkard
02-21-2012, 09:04 AM
I believe the Patriots to be the team to look out for. If there is one thing that we know, Beli-Cheat would do anything for the team even letting someone like Welker go in order to get Brady what he needs to get to another SB.

Wallace would give Brady the Deep threat he needs and with the two TE's, it would be unthinkable what they could do even without Wes.

Giving Tom Brady Mike Wallace would almost make them a lock to win the next SB. They still have one glaring problem though.... defense. NE still needs to improve their defense. I'm guessing they will replace their weak link on defense as well.

So yea it's scary to think what NE would do with Wallace. My thought is only injuries could stop them...which is real possibility. Staying healthy is almost as difficult as winning.

I also would see Mike Wallace breaking plenty of NFL records if he's catching balls from Tom Brady for the next 5-6 years.

LayingTheWoodley56
02-21-2012, 09:19 AM
I'd tend to agree that I'm more worried about losing him to the Pats since they have a first-rounder to spare and it's hard to argue that taking an established 26-year-old over an unproven rookie isn't a good gamble. The Ravens will have to keep an eye towards the future in terms of Rice and Smith, and also let's not forget that it's possible that Mike will not want to migrate to our hated rival, even if he does go elsewhere. I know it happens all the time, but something is a little different when it comes to Steelers-Ravens.

Ricardisimo, no one is suggesting that we cut Ben to save Wallace. That would be ridiculous. I think some people are suggesting that Foote, Farrior, Hampton, etc. become casualties to open up some more cash. No matter which way you slice it, some tough decisions are going to have to be made this offseason.

FrancoLambert
02-21-2012, 09:37 AM
If he walks he walks. The Steelers need that #1 pick for the defense anyway. .
:banging:
No! They need it for the O-line!!

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-21-2012, 10:31 AM

O-Line and Defense :thumbsup:

Fire Arians
02-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Giving Tom Brady Mike Wallace would almost make them a lock to win the next SB. They still have one glaring problem though.... defense. NE still needs to improve their defense. I'm guessing they will replace their weak link on defense as well.

So yea it's scary to think what NE would do with Wallace. My thought is only injuries could stop them...which is real possibility. Staying healthy is almost as difficult as winning.

I also would see Mike Wallace breaking plenty of NFL records if he's catching balls from Tom Brady for the next 5-6 years.

it would make their offense lethal no doubt, but i don't think the patriots see another sb until they fix the major issues they have on defense.

also, brady doesn't look the same anymore. age is diminishing his ability. he's still very good, but i don't think he's what he used to be

zshelhamer
02-21-2012, 11:32 AM

For a team such as NE that could use a deep threat to spread the defense, giving up the 31st pick in the draft for a proven star who is only 26 isn't unrealistic at all.

TRH
02-21-2012, 11:43 AM

correction.
They CAN lose Wallace. It won't be easy and will suck to see him go, but the sky isn't going to fall in. We'll get by. Everyone's replaceable.

TRH
02-21-2012, 11:46 AM
The ravens have cap space...that's the difference. They don't have a $100million QB either.

But I did read that Flacco wants a pay raise...along with the need to sign Rice...Wallace might be out of the question for the Ravens. But the Patriots on the other hand have to be drooling over the opportunity to sign Wallace. They have 2 first round picks...and a huge need for another WR w/ speed...and the cap space. Lets not forget the fact that NE loves to stick it to the Steelers when ever they get a chance.

The AFC favorites for next year have to be NE, PItt, and B-more. If you are NE and you have the chance to improve your team while screwing your #1 competition for a SB ring - don't you do it?

I've heard Rice and his agent want in the 15 mil a year range and ive heard even higher than that. And Flacco wants "top 5" QB money.......that team is going to have serious issues eventually. Just like the Saints are facing.

TRH
02-21-2012, 11:47 AM
it would make their offense lethal no doubt, but i don't think the patriots see another sb until they fix the major issues they have on defense.

also, brady doesn't look the same anymore. age is diminishing his ability. he's still very good, but i don't think he's what he used to be

true.

Also, they're likely to go after Wes Welker's contract first.....an area favorite and proven producer for them.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Bayz

No matter how many times I see that short video I keep cracking up, lol
----------------------------------------

so the front office is afraid? Well how about reaching out to him and finding out whats going on, get a cap freindly deal. Send Harrison and woodley over to his house and let them explain what a cap friendly deal does along with a pass happy OC. That makes for one happy WR named Wallace.

Usually something leaks out on discussions, but its so quiet it almost seems they havent even said hey, how much you want, lol

Curtain_of_Steel
02-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Flacco wants top 5 money? LOL

Top 5 money in the bottom half of the league. Just because he had 1 big ass drive agasint our freaking prevent defense he is a god now?lol

6RingsAndCounting
02-21-2012, 12:03 PM
La Canfora... Nuff said. Plus he just repeated everything that Adam Schefter said a week ago.

6RingsAndCounting
02-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Can the Patriots afford to have to sign both Welker and Wallace this year? Also, is Wallace going to pout if Brady would throw the ball to Welker more. I personally don't care if we lose Wallace, it would suck and hurt a team a little bit, but oh well.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-21-2012, 12:09 PM
First off, it would hurt a lot.

Especially if we had to go and sign someone out of desperation to fill that shoe. Or bring back Ward just because.

I think the PATS have the room, because they dont care about Def if Brady can score 50 a game, lol

6RingsAndCounting
02-21-2012, 12:12 PM

Especially if we had to go and sign someone out of desperation to fill that shoe. Or bring back Ward just because.

I think the PATS have the room, because they dont care about Def if Brady can score 50 a game, lol

I didn't mean it would hurt the team, i meant hurt my feelings:chuckle:
this is why I want the Rams to take Wallace, and we can draft Blackmon!

RavenManiac
02-21-2012, 12:16 PM
I've heard Rice and his agent want in the 15 mil a year range and ive heard even higher than that. And Flacco wants "top 5" QB money.......that team is going to have serious issues eventually. Just like the Saints are facing.

Rice 'wants' AP money and Flacco 'wants' top 5 QB money, but neither are going to get what they 'want.' It is posturing. Flacco will be signed to a long term deal, and Rice will be franchised if push comes to shove with him. That said, the Ravens' cap situation is pretty tight next year, even if they let Grubbs go. If they try to keep Grubbs as well, then they have no room at all.

If Wallace gets lured away it will be by a team with a decent chunk of cap space in 2012, who can offer him a chunky roster bonus which, unlike a signing bonus, gets applied in full in 2012. This is the kind of contract the Steelers would be hardpressed to match. A standard longterm deal with a signing bonus that is prorated over the length of the contract is the kind of deal you guys could match (and want Wallace to sign). The franchise tag for Wallace, I think, is just about out of the question for you guys in terms of cap space. And only teams that draft late in the round will even consider trying to acquire Wallace.

I don't think a late first round pick for a guy of Wallace's talent to a team that has a big hole at WR is a bad move at all. First round picks are not guaranteed to perform at Wallace's level. I also think that a first round pick to you guys for compensation is pretty good if it is for a player you are hardpressed to keep going forward (due to essentially drafting too successfully).

madtowndrunkard
02-21-2012, 01:45 PM

We already have Wallace's replacement under contract. His name is Emmanuel Sanders. Brown and Sanders will be our starters. I'm guessing we'll try to keep Cotchery and Ward. That leaves room for us to draft a WR w/ some deep speed. (guessing 2nd or 3rd round)

What we do need is an OL, a RB to replace Mendy, A DT to replace Hampton, an ILB to replace Farrior, a true FB, a kicker and a punter, a back up QB, and depth at the DE positions. (hampton, Wallace, Farrior, Smith, Hoke, Foote, and McFadden are all gone)

I expect us to sign a FA DT to replace Hampton and add depth to the D-line. Hood, Heyward, and Keisel will hold down the D-line. Hopefully Harrison is healthy.... luckily we have Worilds. We need two new faces on the O-line. We need a back up TE. We will have a totally different looking team next year. I'm excited to see how it pans out.

Bayz101
02-21-2012, 02:11 PM
I believe he is gone. But I believe he will go to Chicago and we get pick #19.

I actually think this is very likely, but i'm not sure he'd want to go there. He may like the money, but i'm sure he wants to get close to the playoffs again :chuckle:

Curtain_of_Steel
02-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Sanders is not a replacement for Wallace, he has yet to prove he can even stay healthy long enough to last half a season let alone the whole year.

There are tons of servicable RB's out there if we need one. But I dont think we need to target a RB just yet. Being only a few million under the cap with Colons resrtucture, the next couple cuts starts to put us in a great position. If Ben and James redo, our problems go away quick.

Kemo, Ward, Hampton, Foote, there is still 16million there to gain. Plus some restructures, we are at 20million savings and 18million over the cap.

Worilds didn't show a lot last year, granted with Harrisons suspension he was in a tough situation, but Worlids is not the answer yet for any LB position.

Bayz101
02-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Sanders is not a replacement for Wallace, he has yet to prove he can even stay healthy long enough to last half a season let alone the whole year.

There are tons of servicable RB's out there if we need one. But I dont think we need to target a RB just yet. Being only a few million under the cap with Colons resrtucture, the next couple cuts starts to put us in a great position. If Ben and James redo, our problems go away quick.

Kemo, Ward, Hampton, Foote, there is still 16million there to gain. Plus some restructures, we are at 20million savings and 18million over the cap.

Worilds didn't show a lot last year, granted with Harrisons suspension he was in a tough situation, but Worlids is not the answer yet for any LB position.

I agree with everything, including not needing to go after running back's. But I don't think there will be a speed replacement for Wallace. Brown's quick, Cotchery's tough and Sanders is about as talented as Brown, he just hasn't been able to stay healthy.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Bayz your killing me with the video. You need to post less, lol

I don't see Wallace getting a 9million a year contract from anyone. BUT I see him getting a front loaded salary cap not friendly to prohibit the Steelers to signing him. However I thought I read some wheres that the frontloading stuff can be circumvented but not sure where I read it. Might have been dreaming who knows, lol

These teams with carry over caps are just sitting on to much cash. Who TF would ever agree to let teams do this? Promotion equality amongst idiot owners is just not right. There are certain teams that are just meant to be at the bottom of the NFL cesspool, and certain teams who will prosper, just like in life.

ricardisimo
02-21-2012, 04:34 PM
There are certain teams that are just meant to be at the bottom of the NFL cesspool, and certain teams who will prosper, just like in life.
:rolleyes:

jtbsteeler
02-22-2012, 04:34 AM

Duh... I envision them taking an Olineman with the #24 pick. And if they lose Wallace, an ILB/NT with the compensation #1 pick.

Relax

:tt03::tt03:

pete74
02-22-2012, 11:52 AM
everyone is talking about what were going to do with our 2nd draft pick in the 1st round but we will only have one pick. there was a time when i felt Wallace might be gone but i dont think thats going to happen. everyone talks about how he dropped off in the 2nd half of the season but watch the tape. how many balls were thrown to him that were catchable? Rothlisberger wasnt throwing to him as much and when he did alot of them were inacurate.
wallace is a great WR and we need him. the management knows this and will sign him to a contract before the season begins. i think he is looking at around 7million a year. i really doubt he is going anywere. noway are we letting him go. without him being double covered every game our entire offense will suffer and the team knows this. the only way he leaves is if he gets greedy and turns down the contract we offer

onefortheotherthumb
02-22-2012, 12:17 PM
we cant afford to lose wallace.antonio brown and sanders are great, but they cant match the deep threat wallace is

Ricco Suavez
02-22-2012, 02:19 PM
we cant afford to lose wallace.antonio brown and sanders are great, but they cant match the deep threat wallace is

Another question is "can we afford to keep him?"

steeltheone
02-22-2012, 02:24 PM
Once again, When you have a gunslinger QB, a franchise QB, wideouts fall out of the woodwork...If Brown or Wallace played in Cleveland they would be run of the mill. Im not saying they are not good or we should not resign them but not at tier 1 price.

ricardisimo
02-22-2012, 05:29 PM
everyone is talking about what were going to do with our 2nd draft pick in the 1st round but we will only have one pick. there was a time when i felt Wallace might be gone but i dont think thats going to happen. everyone talks about how he dropped off in the 2nd half of the season but watch the tape. how many balls were thrown to him that were catchable? Rothlisberger wasnt throwing to him as much and when he did alot of them were inacurate.
wallace is a great WR and we need him. the management knows this and will sign him to a contract before the season begins. i think he is looking at around 7million a year. i really doubt he is going anywere. noway are we letting him go. without him being double covered every game our entire offense will suffer and the team knows this. the only way he leaves is if he gets greedy and turns down the contract we offer
Wallace was targeted a lot, and caught very few of them. Ben was hurt when throwing the ball to Brown and Sanders, just like he was throwing to Wallace. But they made their catches. If it weren't for the damned bubble screens I don't know how many catches Wallace would have had in the second half.

TRH
02-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Wallace was targeted a lot, and caught very few of them. Ben was hurt when throwing the ball to Brown and Sanders, just like he was throwing to Wallace. But they made their catches. If it weren't for the damned bubble screens I don't know how many catches Wallace would have had in the second half.

yep. He added up quite a few stats with the bubbles. Another thing is that he goofed up routes often too.

Atlanta Dan
02-22-2012, 07:38 PM
According to NFL Network's Jason La Canfora, there is "real concern" in the Steelers' front office that they may lose restricted free agent Mike Wallace. The Steelers are in a tough spot because they're so tight up against the salary cap. They'll place a first-round tender on Wallace, but a franchise tag isn't financially doable

But of course La Confora also says this:noidea:

The internal discussions continue as to how the Steelers handle this, but in the end I believe they protect this asset and find a way to franchise him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82710915/article/plenty-of-players-preparing-for-franchise-tag?module=HP11_cp

zcoop
02-22-2012, 07:44 PM
But of course La Confora also says this:noidea:

The internal discussions continue as to how the Steelers handle this, but in the end I believe they protect this asset and find a way to franchise him.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82710915/article/plenty-of-players-preparing-for-franchise-tag?module=HP11_cp

What this guy says. We'd be crazy to let him go and have to start over again. BTW we have to get the damn ball to the guy for him to catch it. He did not get enough quality throws his way the latter part of the season.

We lose this guy and we've got trouble.

ricardisimo
02-23-2012, 03:11 AM
What this guy says. We'd be crazy to let him go and have to start over again. BTW we have to get the damn ball to the guy for him to catch it. He did not get enough quality throws his way the latter part of the season.

We lose this guy and we've got trouble.
I don't know, guy... towards the end he was getting targeted 5 times for one catch (bubble, of course), or 12 times for 5 catches, etc. That's not the sort of percentage that inspires confidence.

jtbsteeler
02-23-2012, 06:46 AM
I love threads like this. Because threads like this weed out the bandwagoneers. Any Steeler fan whose been following this team for the last 20+ years would know that the Steelers will move on and be fine without Mike. In my mind Mike Wallace is the 5th or 6th best WR to potentially leave the Steelers. I like him but I'm not fretting his departure.

#1 Plaxico Burress
#2 Yancy Thigpen
#3 Santonio Holmes
#4 Nate Washington
#5 Mike Wallace

I said this on another thread. I can't remember the Steelers having 2 #1 picks in my lifetime(42yrs). I pray that some team allows us to have this luxury.

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 06:53 AM
I honestly think Nate Washington was better than him, as you suggested above. Not only was he a deep threat, he could make the tough catches as well. Not to mention he was close to having more yards than Wallace this year.

Michael Vick's Dog
02-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Nate Washington wasn't as good as Mike Wallace. No way in hell. He was never even a starter for us. Wallace is already as good or better than a prime Washington and still has room to grow and blow way past him to a whole other level.

I think we'll lose one of Wallace or Brown over the next couple off-seasons. I think we'll be able to keep Sanders and one of Wallace/Brown long-term. It's just a matter of who Sanders is a better replacement for. Personally, I think Sanders is a better replacement for Brown than Wallace. He just doesn't have the deep speed of Wallace, but he does have the slick underneath route running that Brown has. The one good thing if we lose Brown or Wallace over the next couple off-seasons is we won't lose them for nothing. We'll get at least a 1st round pick in return.

jtbsteeler
02-23-2012, 08:45 AM
If the Steelers franchise him then that tells you how they feel about his talents and whether they can replace him. If they high tender, then that says "please give me a 1st round pick" I'm excited about getting two of the top 32 players in the draft.

pete74
02-24-2012, 03:47 AM

come on now we watch the same game. Ben was off the 2nd half and Wallace's stats suffered because of it. Wallace is doubled every game unlike Brown and needs to go deep and burn to get seperation. Ben was off on his deep balls so Wallace suffered. take a look at Bens stats
QBRat Comp Att Pct Yds Y/G Y/A TD Int
games 1-8- 95.7 183 284 64.4 2302 287.8 8.1 14 7

games 9-16- 83.1 141 229 61.6 1775 253.6 7.8 7 7

600 less yards percentage down, qb rating way down and td's are down. that should tell you something

ricardisimo
02-25-2012, 04:26 PM
I love threads like this. Because threads like this weed out the bandwagoneers. Any Steeler fan whose been following this team for the last 20+ years would know that the Steelers will move on and be fine without Mike. In my mind Mike Wallace is the 5th or 6th best WR to potentially leave the Steelers. I like him but I'm not fretting his departure.

#1 Plaxico Burress
#2 Yancy Thigpen
#3 Santonio Holmes
#4 Nate Washington
#5 Mike Wallace

I said this on another thread. I can't remember the Steelers having 2 #1 picks in my lifetime(42yrs). I pray that some team allows us to have this luxury.
Put down the crackpipe, dude. Yes, we'll be fine without him, but do you really think Nate and Yancey were better than Wallace? You can make some sort of argument for the other two. I liked Yancey, but he only had two decent years.

jtbsteeler
02-26-2012, 07:53 AM
Put down the crackpipe, dude. Yes, we'll be fine without him, but do you really think Nate and Yancey were better than Wallace? You can make some sort of argument for the other two. I liked Yancey, but he only had two decent years.

How many decent years has Mike Wallace had...?

All I can say is that Yancy Thigpen was a 2x ALL-PRO WR. There was no :"Here Mike, go get it" bombs every game. Thigpen went over the middle and could beat a double team. He was tough AND clutch. In my mind tougher (when he was healthy) than Ward over the middle. Not sure where you were, but my guess is not in front of a TV watching the 94-97 season's. Or the last 20 years worth of Steeler football for that matter. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by not going back to '74-'75 like I can.

Yancy Thigpen had 1400yds receiving when Kordell Stewart was the qb in 1997. And you have questions about who the better receiver is? And my original pretense was "WR's who left the Steelers." Yancy left in 1997/1998. If Mike leaves after this season, I'll go off of his career so far (with the Steelers)... Not even close, in my mind who the better receiver is when you compare it that way. Feel free to though to compare though. I'm anxious to hear an intelligent response.

ricardisimo
02-26-2012, 01:48 PM
How many decent years has Mike Wallace had...?

All I can say is that Yancy Thigpen was a 2x ALL-PRO WR. There was no :"Here Mike, go get it" bombs every game. Thigpen went over the middle and could beat a double team. He was tough AND clutch. In my mind tougher (when he was healthy) than Ward over the middle. Not sure where you were, but my guess is not in front of a TV watching the 94-97 season's. Or the last 20 years worth of Steeler football for that matter. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt by not going back to '74-'75 like I can.

Yancy Thigpen had 1400yds receiving when Kordell Stewart was the qb in 1997. And you have questions about who the better receiver is? And my original pretense was "WR's who left the Steelers." Yancy left in 1997/1998. If Mike leaves after this season, I'll go off of his career so far (with the Steelers)... Not even close, in my mind who the better receiver is when you compare it that way. Feel free to though to compare though. I'm anxious to hear an intelligent response.
Mike Wallace has had 2-1/2 very good years out of three, Yancey had two good years out of ten. When he was good he was very good, but that was only twice in a rather long career.

Yes he had Kordell throwing to him, but you know what? Kordell also only had two good years out of an entire decade's worth of work. Does that, likewise, make him a great QB in your mind? Both of these guys were fun to watch, which is ultimately all we can ask for as fans. But when you're ranking our wide receivers, you look at their entire body of work. Mike Wallace is already very good and likely to get better.

pete74
02-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Mike Wallace has had 2-1/2 very good years out of three, Yancey had two good years out of ten. When he was good he was very good, but that was only twice in a rather long career.

Yes he had Kordell throwing to him, but you know what? Kordell also only had two good years out of an entire decade's worth of work. Does that, likewise, make him a great QB in your mind? Both of these guys were fun to watch, which is ultimately all we can ask for as fans. But when you're ranking our wide receivers, you look at their entire body of work. Mike Wallace is already very good and likely to get better.

agreed

SH-Rock
02-26-2012, 02:32 PM
If we do lose Wallace, we should focus on a tall receiver. We already have the fast guys, but a redzone threat would be awesome.

ricardisimo
02-26-2012, 02:40 PM
If we do lose Wallace, we should focus on a tall receiver. We already have the fast guys, but a redzone threat would be awesome.
We already have one, and we're not using him for some unbelievably bizarre reason: Heath. Hopefully that changes with Haley.

I think Hines, Brown, and Santonio for us, Steve Smith and Welker and a bevy of others throughout the league have shown that the height thing is overrated. We need playmakers, and who cares if they're dwarves?

jtbsteeler
02-27-2012, 03:03 AM

You're reaching a bit aren't you? We're debating and human nature makes people defensive, but 2 1/2 VERY GOOD years. A very good year would've been him showing up in the last two playoffs and wearing a ring like Santonio. You obviously don't understand what a VERY good year is. We might need to debate your understanding of a freaking VERY GOOD season before we can talk about anything else.

jtbsteeler
02-27-2012, 03:11 AM

How can you rank an entire body of work when Wallace's BODY isn't finished yet? I'm going off of what they did when they were with the Steelers. the original argument You're morphing this into something else.

You hand that VERY GOOD out like it's candy. Mike Wallace hasn't been Plaxico Burress VERY GOOD yet...

So Yancy had two "good" years and Wallace has had 2 1/2 "very" good years? Wow. Like I said, you weren't watching ALL the Steelers games in the mid-90's. That's clear. No offense, but that's obvious.

ricardisimo
02-27-2012, 03:47 AM
Actually I was watching, and I liked Yancey quite a bit. Was he better than Wallace? No. Should we have dished out the big bucks to keep him? Absolutely not. Did Yancey ever get a ring, like - you know - Santonio? Nope. Am I saying he sucked? No, of course not.

Now, should we be paying Wallace the big bucks? No, but with the proviso that Mike Wallace is probably going to break the bank, which is something that Yancey was never a threat to do. I stress Mike's first three years because Yancey didn't do squat until his fifth year in the league.

Since I've been paying attention, the Steelers have gone out of their way to retain the services of exactly four star receivers:

Lynn Swann
John Stallworth
Louis Lipps
Hines Ward

That's lofty company, and it's telling that neither Santonio nor Plax were part of it. If it's going to happen again it will happen with Wallace, although I have serious doubts about whether it will or even should. Thigpen, while being a very good receiver for us those two years, was never anything more than workman-like, and he was never in the same discussion as these other Steeler greats. That's just how it is.

Rick5895
02-27-2012, 04:00 AM
Reports are that K.C. will franchise Bowe. If thats the case it will drive up Wallaces asking price. It may make him too rich for us, that is of course if somebody wants to try to steal him from us and give up a 1st round pick in the process. Something i am still not so sure will happen.

Note: The Patriots are reportedly going to use the franchise tag on Welker. That would likely pull them out of the Wallace "sweepstakes"

BKAnthem
02-27-2012, 06:31 PM
Actually I was watching, and I liked Yancey quite a bit. Was he better than Wallace? No. Should we have dished out the big bucks to keep him? Absolutely not. Did Yancey ever get a ring, like - you know - Santonio? Nope. Am I saying he sucked? No, of course not.

Now, should we be paying Wallace the big bucks? No, but with the proviso that Mike Wallace is probably going to break the bank, which is something that Yancey was never a threat to do. I stress Mike's first three years because Yancey didn't do squat until his fifth year in the league.

Since I've been paying attention, the Steelers have gone out of their way to retain the services of exactly four star receivers:

Lynn Swann
John Stallworth
Louis Lipps
Hines Ward

That's lofty company, and it's telling that neither Santonio nor Plax were part of it. If it's going to happen again it will happen with Wallace, although I have serious doubts about whether it will or even should. Thigpen, while being a very good receiver for us those two years, was never anything more than workman-like, and he was never in the same discussion as these other Steeler greats. That's just how it is.

Funny thing is ...I didn't notice Yancy UNTIL Kordell became the starter and started targeting him...I think that was a case of 2 second stringers developing Chemistry through practice