PDA

View Full Version : Haleygate, Blue Ben is all one persons fault

Ricco Suavez
02-21-2012, 04:37 PM
This off seasons biggest news story in the Pittsburgh media is "what will Ben do now" or "Ben refuses to get along with Haley". The bigger stories should be what the team is doing to move cap space, do we sign Wallace and/or Ward? What are the teams needs come draft time. Instead we have media printing something nearly every day about this player said this or something that did or did not happen in the ever growing saga of Ben/Haley gate. All of this could of been avoided if handled correctly by one person.

Rooney. Listen I agree he is the boss, the buck stops here. He makes the final say. But if he had just went about this the right way all of this could of been avoided. First if you are set on moving on with a new OC then let your coach know first. Tomlin looked like a complete fool the way Rooney hung him out to dry. Second once you fire the man you have Tomlin and Ben both in the office to discuss what he expects from this team. A good leader will seek out these two opinions on the next OC. Once again he is the ultimate voice but only the most arrogant would ignore his football people.

If in these meetings Ben showed signs of bucking against the change he could be told in private exactly where he stands. Rooney is part of the greatest family in the NFL, but he has handled this scenario wrong. Just because you have the power to do things your way does not make it right. I have been trying to understand his reasoning in doing so and if he has a ulterior motive for his play. Just because you are the boss does not make you always right and it does not make you immune to backlash on what I see as the most controversial move so far this off season, not so much as what was done but in how it was done.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-21-2012, 04:41 PM
People who walk on water don't ask the little people why they are not sinking.lol

I would agree with you Ricco on everything your saying, if you want your all pro 2 time superbowl ring wearing QB to be cool with everything, your bring him in and just state the facts on why we are maing the changes, why it needs to be done, we want you on board, and here are our thoughts.

But regardless of the above, the Rooneys mishandled the Arians situation. Saying he was retiring? Come on. They started the mess with misleading people than allowed something that is a normal days business to balloon into whatever it is today, if it is something. lol

Curtain_of_Steel
02-21-2012, 04:42 PM
1000 post. I figure I would just type it here next to my other 980 meaningless posts. Assuming of course 20 were worthwhile to you guys, lol

Ricco Suavez
02-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Congrats on 1K posts. Yea i agree it was time for change. Hell I agreed with the front office when they kept him another year. I just think something happened between Tomlins announcement that Arians and LeBeau would be back and the time Rooney fired him. Perhaps Rooney sat down with Arians and the conversation did not go to suit him. It could of been remedied with a press release that management had come to the conclusion that Arians current game plans differed greatly from what Rooney envisioned The Retirement play just stunk of cover up.

lloydwoodson
02-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Yes the OC change could have been handled better. It was not. Time to move on. :banging: Let's make an eigth post about it. And Ben did talk to Rooney at season's end. In fact, Ben is the only reason Arians was around the last couple of years... haven't you been paying attention? And if the Steelers need to know Ben's opinion on anything under the sun all they have to do is check the media because he gives them everything.

Bayz101
02-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Yeah. Ben and Haley have met, so hopefully this is the last time we'll hear about this.

tony hipchest
02-21-2012, 06:16 PM
rooney was the 1st to come out and say that arians DID NOT retire, that his contract was not extended, and tomlin said from the very beginning that he expected both coordinators wanted to return but that things could change.

dont buy into the media spin. thats what got fans and the national media in an uproar in the 1st place. :coffee: