PDA

View Full Version : Interview: Wallace Could See Himself as a 49er or a Patriot in 2012

Shaner021
02-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Steelers' wide receiver Mike Wallace did not shoot down the notion he could play in San Francisco or New England next season during an interview on Sirius XM NFL Radio.

http://sports-kings.com/downanddistance/?p=670

The interview is also linked in the article, about 2-3minutes long.

Shane

tanda10506
02-22-2012, 02:44 PM
He thinks he's at the top of his game? Dont you have to contribute something in the last 7 or 8 games of the season to be at the top of your game? If he is already talking about "his money" and other teams and thinking that playing well half of a season entitles him to big money, then he is likely gone, even though Rooney said we were going to make it a priority to keep him. I dont care if he goes to the Niners but we ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT let him go to the Pats.

Ricco Suavez
02-22-2012, 02:56 PM
These guys have careers that could be short lived and sometimes are due to injury. I will have no ill wills if he takes the best deal monetary wise, he has to look out for him self and family. If another team throws the money at him who would not take it. All a person has to do is look at the Pujols signing in baseball. I have said all along I would like him back but not at the expense of the team and signing players to help elsewhere. I am just glad our front office showed once again that they knew talent in the third round that should or could of been first round back when they drafted him.

kan_t
02-22-2012, 02:56 PM
He's just being honest. It doesn't mean that he wouldn't agree a long term deal with the Steelers.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Just posturing, since the steelers probably haven't called him yet, lol

Well 49ers dont hurt us, as they were playing about as over their heads as they possible could be, now bring on a tougher schedule. Plus they have Smith as their QB for now. that could change as I dont think they think he is their franchise QB, plus he has no long ball. If you cant throw long, no point in having Wallace. It would be suicide to have Smith toss the ball to Wallace.

Pats I have been saying all along, look out for them as he fits perfectly with their pick. Wallace has got to like this situation, especially if Welker is onboard.

steelerchad
02-22-2012, 03:22 PM
He thinks he's at the top of his game? Dont you have to contribute something in the last 7 or 8 games of the season to be at the top of your game? If he is already talking about "his money" and other teams and thinking that playing well half of a season entitles him to big money, then he is likely gone, even though Rooney said we were going to make it a priority to keep him. I dont care if he goes to the Niners but we ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT let him go to the Pats.

Why not? They really don't use the long ball much anyway. I wouln't pay him $9M/yr. Let him go to the Pats. They're about ready to crumble into mediocrity again anyway. Bad defense and a mid 30's QB. When Brady goes, Wallace will be in the prime of his career and likely have a rookie QB throwing to him for most of his good years.
Let him walk if he want's more than $7M.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-22-2012, 03:36 PM
So you wouldnt pay him 9million, than you say you wouldnt pay him 7million either? Let him go, you will draft a non WR in his place and still need to sign another WR probably in the 3mill-4mill range or he wont be worth anyhing to us. the player you draft will get a few million. end result sure we get another position of need player, but letting one go costs us 7million back. Plus we will draft another WR someplace in the draft, add another million and a roster spot on. Ill take Wallace.

So what do you think he is worth? Because 7million he will get from 32 teams. 9mill avg maybe be pushing it. But a 40-50million deal is coming his way from someone and that might be light.

They shouldve done something about this year 2, or going into year 3. Sure its against the people who walk on water in the FO. But see the freaking future and deal with the potential issues before they become an issue not keep creating more issues by paying people who should not be on the dam team.
We pissed away 9million on Smith for 2 years, 4.5million on Ward last year. that 13.5million could not have been spent better?

What screwed them is the Fing greed they all have with the NFLPS and the NFL. They assumed all along the cap would go up substantially this year. But not when you vote to kick the players in the balls. Their atttiude changed to, geez I rather keep the money myself, lol

Atlanta Dan
02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Ike Taylor was talking the same talk as Mike Wallace last off season - talk alone does not mean anyone is gone

Despite a feeling in Pittsburgh that Ike Taylor was likely to return to the team, Florio credited a source recently that said Taylor planned to test the free agent market.

Taylor made that strategy pretty clear during a Wednesday appearance on Jim Rome is Burning, saying he wouldn’t take a hometown discount.

“I need that market value. I work so hard,” Taylor told Rome. “I’ve been through so much, I feel so unappreciated, feel so underrated at my position, I feel like it’s my time to get my worth, in whatever city that’s in.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/18/ike-taylor-isnt-down-with-a-hometown-discout/

Players want to get paid, not the chance to wear a letterman's jacket - it's a business

Atlanta Dan
02-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Just posturing, since the steelers probably haven't called him yet, lol

Well 49ers dont hurt us, as they were playing about as over their heads as they possible could be, now bring on a tougher schedule. Plus they have Smith as their QB for now. that could change as I dont think they think he is their franchise QB, plus he has no long ball. If you cant throw long, no point in having Wallace. It would be suicide to have Smith toss the ball to Wallace.

Pats I have been saying all along, look out for them as he fits perfectly with their pick. Wallace has got to like this situation, especially if Welker is onboard.

Paying Welker and Wallace is sinking a lot of $$ into one position

Curtain_of_Steel
02-22-2012, 04:07 PM
2 positions, lol But I see what you mean.. But think about it. Pats D was marginally bad at best. They leave the D alone, yet increase the offense. Perhaps that offense gets 8 points a game more over all. that may be enough to guarranttee afc championchip game and more.

But Pats can give him huge money upfront, perhaps lessor value, but bird in the hand...

TRH
02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Regardless of all this, one thing is very clear, and its something i noticed around the middle of this season :

Wallace's head has gotten HUUUUUUUUUUGE. Man, is he full of himself.
The aloof attitude and cockiness is definitely noticed.
In a way, with all of the previous praise and 'speed' accolades analysts and writers were giving him before, i can see how this kind of thing happens. I'm just a bit surprised with this one because last year the dude seemed incredibly down-to-earth.

MasterOfPuppets
02-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Paying Welker and Wallace is sinking a lot of $$ into one position
The Patriots project to have more than $20 million in cap space already in 2012 (the cap is a fluid number, so while there are reports that take teams' space out to the penny, I'm rounding).
So if the Patriots want to franchise Wes Welker at almost $10 million and cut a fat deal to Brandon Lloyd or Dwayne Bowe and trade up into the top five by dealing a passel of picks, they have the money to do it.
Even though they sewed up Vince Wilfork, Jerod Mayo, Logan Mankins and Tom Brady in the past 24 months, the Patriots are currently enjoying the fruits of their pre-lockout planning, where they wrote a lot of deals to expire in 2010 and 2011. They also built their current team with a number of undrafted players, from whom they've gotten maximum performance for minimal cost.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/post/For-Patriots-salary-cap-shouldnt-be-an-i?blockID=650634

tony hipchest
02-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Paying Welker and Wallace is sinking a lot of $$ into one positionso have we for woodley, harrison, and timmons. infact the potential of wallace possibly leaving can probably be attributed to those 3 having big, long term deals.

what makes it even more attractive to the patriots is they are paying half as much for gronk and hernandez as we are heath miller alone, for 4X the production.

alot of people think the patriots love their draft picks far to much to actually give one up. i believe they like to stock pile them specifially for when a perfect opportunity like this arises.

4 months ago, wallace was spoken in the same breath as calvin johnson.

jjpro11
02-22-2012, 09:30 PM
some of you can talk down Wallace all you want if it will make you feel better when he leaves... but you have to know deep down he will put up ridiculous numbers in New England if he goes there and their offense will be near unstoppable.

6RingsAndCounting
02-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Regardless of all this, one thing is very clear, and its something i noticed around the middle of this season :

In a way, with all of the previous praise and 'speed' accolades analysts and writers were giving him before, i can see how this kind of thing happens. I'm just a bit surprised with this one because last year the dude seemed incredibly down-to-earth.

Agree completely, seems like he thinks just because he runs by people that he shouldn't have to run across the middle or go after a ball.

SH-Rock
02-22-2012, 11:17 PM
I think he's bluffing to leave. He's trying to get the best deal he can from the Steelers and a good way to do it, is to scare the Steelers that he's leaving free agency.

StainlessStill
02-22-2012, 11:22 PM
If he does leave, I hope he sides with an NFC team. Going to a place like New England, Cincy or Baltimore only makes our life more difficult than it already is. Sending him within' the Conference power-house isn't going to sit well with me for my personal opinion and I'm sure every Steelers fan will wince if that sort of deal plays out.

Still, I'm confident that Wallace will be in Black and Gold next season and beyond. I know Khan and Colbert are busting their absolute ass's to grab the money to sign him. It's time to let go of most of our 2000 run.

tony hipchest
02-23-2012, 01:03 AM

In a way, with all of the previous praise and 'speed' accolades analysts and writers were giving him before, i can see how this kind of thing happens. I'm just a bit surprised with this one because last year the dude seemed incredibly down-to-earth.mike wallace hasnt changed. youre attitude towards him has.

you are now looking at a player who is easilly worth 12-14 mil/year (according to fair market value) as opposed to an up and coming 3rd year player in his 3rd year making less than a million.

perhaps he shoulda just played mediocre to meet fans expectations of humbleness. :noidea:

casteeler
02-23-2012, 01:03 AM
I posted something a couple of months ago about the Steelers having trouble with WRs additudes and was grilled about even mentioning such a thing. I really like Wallace and don't wanna jump the gun but this is what I was referancing, you gotta go where the $$ is Wallace ... I guess

tony hipchest
02-23-2012, 01:12 AM
I posted something a couple of months ago about the Steelers having trouble with WRs additudes and was grilled about even mentioning such a thing. I really like Wallace and don't wanna jump the gun but this is what I was referancing, you gotta go where the $$ is Wallace ... I guessits the nature of the position that is unique and not exclusive to steelers.

every wr wants to be the #1 guy.

there is no #1 and #2 qb on the field.
there is no #1 and #2 center on the field.
there is no #1 and #2 kicker on the field.

there is almost always 2 wrs on the field if not 3 or 4.

Polamalu43
02-23-2012, 01:17 AM
I would really hate to see Mike wallace leave but, if he thinks he can do better with another team then the 6x super bowl champs and this great franchise then see ya!! don't let the door hit you...

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-23-2012, 01:25 AM
if he thinks he can do better with another team then the 6x super bowl champs and this great franchise then see ya!! don't let the door hit you...

^This

jtbsteeler
02-23-2012, 07:53 AM
I love threads like this. Because threads like this weed out the bandwagoneers. Any Steeler fan whose been following this team for the last 20+ years would know that the Steelers will move on and be fine without Mike. In my mind Mike Wallace is the 5th or 6th best WR to potentially leave the Steelers. I like him but I'm not fretting his departure.

#1 Plaxico Burress
#2 Yancy Thigpen
#3 Santonio Holmes
#4 Nate Washington
#5 Mike Wallace

I said this on another thread. I can't remeber the Steelers having 2 #1 picks in my lifetime. I pray that some team allows us to have this luxury.

Steel Peon
02-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Wallace with the 9ers sounds good and all, but I don't think that will happen. I don't think Alex Smith has any more ability to deliver the long ball to him than Ben does, and Wallace belongs on a team with a QB that can do that. Also, the 9ers have a lot tied up in defense, like we do, so investing a lot of cap money in him would haunt them shortly down the road.

He's really what the Panthers, Colts (if Peyton returns or Luck can pass like him), Pats, or Packers need. It's also possible that some rookie QB, who starts out with stellar playing skills, (like Luck, or Luck himself) could end up on another team I didn't mention, and that team may want Wallace to pair him up with.

The only reason anyone is talking about the Pats grabbing him is that they have a spare first round pick, and could easily make a play for him. However, if Belichick is as smart as I think he is, he already thinks the same thing about Wallace that I do:

Wallace is a one-trick-pony who will allow you to dominate the regular season, but he won't win you a championship due to his inability (or lack of desire) to break tackles, throw great blocks, and pound out the generally hard yardage.

That's my opinion on the subject, and while we were lucky to have him, he simply does not fit into the Steelers game plan, and especially not with a QB like Ben.

I can't remeber the Steelers having 2 #1 picks in my lifetime. I pray that some team allows us to have this luxury.
And while I definitely agree with everything else you said, this is something the Steelers need above all other things........we are desperately in need of quality personnel in other positions, and 2 #1s might just win us another Lombardi in a year or 2.

lloydwoodson
02-24-2012, 04:48 PM
I love threads like this. Because threads like this weed out the bandwagoneers. Any Steeler fan whose been following this team for the last 20+ years would know that the Steelers will move on and be fine without Mike. In my mind Mike Wallace is the 5th or 6th best WR to potentially leave the Steelers. I like him but I'm not fretting his departure

^Exactly.

pete74
02-24-2012, 05:03 PM
I love threads like this. Because threads like this weed out the bandwagoneers. Any Steeler fan whose been following this team for the last 20+ years would know that the Steelers will move on and be fine without Mike. In my mind Mike Wallace is the 5th or 6th best WR to potentially leave the Steelers. I like him but I'm not fretting his departure.

#1 Plaxico Burress
#2 Yancy Thigpen
#3 Santonio Holmes
#4 Nate Washington
#5 Mike Wallace

I said this on another thread. I can't remeber the Steelers having 2 #1 picks in my lifetime. I pray that some team allows us to have this luxury.

I want to see what you ssy after he tears it up next year. Like i said before when everyone wanted to drop him, he will be signed and he will have a monster year. Wallace is already better then almost everyone on that list but has the potential to be one of the best steeler wr ever. He is still young and learning. He was very raw coming out of college and thats why he dropped in the draft.

FrancoLambert
02-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Fine. Go.
Chase the green elsewhere. I'd rather keep Brown.
Wallace's attitude is disappointing.
Don't get me wrong, Wallace is very talented and most teams would love to have him.
But his production doesn't match his hype.
Speed for sure, what about the hands?

Curtain_of_Steel
02-25-2012, 12:55 PM
#5 ? Did they legalize drugs where you are?lol

Wallace: 3rd year WR, THE fastest wr in the league

Looking at the whole picture, Wallace would be number.1 hands down.

Holmes, not a team player, druggies. His mouth even showed it in the SB with the Steelers.
Burress, wasn't he in jail for 2 years?
Washington? George? What Washington you talking about? lol
Thigpen? short lived, not even close

zcoop
02-26-2012, 10:15 AM
I want to see what you ssy after he tears it up next year. Like i said before when everyone wanted to drop him, he will be signed and he will have a monster year. Wallace is already better then almost everyone on that list but has the potential to be one of the best steeler wr ever. He is still young and learning. He was very raw coming out of college and thats why he dropped in the draft.

This right here!

Some people need to put down the emotion and focus on reality. Opposing defenses have to always consider the long ball with Wallace on the field. This alone is a major advantage for the offense.

Atlanta Dan
02-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Patriots apparently plan to franchise Welker

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7615402/source-new-england-patriots-likely-use-franchise-tag-wes-welker

Tampa Bay allegedly is signing Manningham away from the Giants

http://clarkjudge.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6384866/34996521

Based on these rankings of WR free agents (Wallace ranked #2 behind Welker) and the way other dominoes are falling (Ravens claim they are not interested in signing Wallace although I admittedly would not trust the Ravens) IMO Chicago may be a growing threat to break the bank to sign Wallace

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34978728

I still think the Steelers somehow find enough change in the couch to franchise Wallace

jtbsteeler
02-26-2012, 02:19 PM
He wont get the franchise tag.

Atlanta Dan
02-26-2012, 05:51 PM
He wont get the franchise tag.

Maybe so, but if the Steelers let Wallace test the market the other number of other top shelf WRs out there is dropping and it will be increasingly difficult to match what he is offered

The Kansas City Chiefs plan to use the franchise tag on wide receiver Dwayne Bowe if the two sides cannot reach a new deal, according to a league source.

The franchise tag number for wide receivers this year is $9.5 million....

One NFL general manager estimated that, with the cost of the franchise tags decreasing because of the new collective bargaining agreement, as many as 25 tags could be used to restrict player movement this offseason.

The franchise tag used to be based on the average of the top five salaries at that position from last season. In the new CBA, it's based on the average of the top five salaries at that position from the previous five seasons.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7615420/source-kansas-city-chiefs-franchise-dwayne-bowe-two-sides-reach-deal