PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Smart enough to answer this?

Ricco Suavez
02-22-2012, 03:07 PM
I love me some Steelers and I am a fan of every player on the team even if they sometimes fail. But a disturbing trend with my team if the way the cap has gotten out of hand. So my question is to anyone with intelligent answers, What does the front office do to get us under the cap and what hard choices are in store for us. I dont want some vague comments like we cut the dead weight , but exactly who do we cut and how much will it help us. What about the upcoming draft where will these new salaries count. I just would like to know if anyone in the know has answers.

lloydwoodson
02-22-2012, 03:18 PM
"What it boils down to is we have a group of young men who are preparing themselves to take the lead headed into the future. We have a solid core of guys in that locker room but that core will change slightly as we go forward. We are looking to get younger on both sides of the ball going into the draft, and of course will expect every young player on this team to play to the standard. Certain verterans on this team have expressed a desire to retire for one or two weeks, and then sign with other teams. This is how we will clear some cap space- by trimming the fat." --- Coach T.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Answers have been listed here 100 times.

Certain players have to go. They have resrtuctured Wood, Timmons, Taylor and Colon. They may only have 2 other players that make it worthwhile to resrucutre and thats Ben and Harrison. Probably saving about 6-8million by shifting to bonus's.

But to coin your phrase of dead weight it is what it is

Cap savings:
Ward: 3.4million
Smith:2.1million
Farriors: 2.8million, but we probably need him still, so extend and rework the deal to save 1.5mill
Hampton: 5.9mill, due to signing a stupid short contract they could not prorate longer.
Foote: 3mill
Kemo: 2.4mill
Scott: 2.2million

right there you have: 23million. Honestly, what are we cutting there?

Ward? Can be replaced
Smith, hasnt played in 2 years
Kemo, hasnt used his brain on the field in 2 years
Scott, who is he?lol
Foote, loyalty doesn;t have anymore priviledges here.
Hampton, something has to give here. If he is off his knee a bit, he is going to balloon up. Mclenden did pretty well

couple this with a couple restructures, there is 30million. Puts us 25million under the cap.

Plenty to give Wallace with bonuses and sign rookies and back ups.

jiminpa
02-22-2012, 03:29 PM
This isn't the first time we've been over the cap. The FO saw this coming and planned for it. We may not like what they do, but they are looking to the long term future of the team. They have some restructures in mind and some cuts. Some players who may not be quite ready may get the nod, and some guys who we would love to keep may be released to go get their bigger paydays with teams who don't start every season with legitimate SB hopes.

Ricco Suavez
02-22-2012, 03:36 PM
I thought we are still at 11 million over the cap as of now. By my addition that would put us around 17-19 million under cap with all the fore mentioned cuts. Will this be enough to sign Wallace and the new draft class. Do we have anyone else up to resign other than Wallace, I know we have Browns contract to think of next year, but hey, thats next year.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Ricco

We cut Mcfadden and battle that was 3.5million savings, Colon 2.85mill, Woodley/Timmons 11.5million, Ike 3.3mill

Thats about 21mill, leaves us 2-4million over the cap.
1 swoop of the pen with Wards contract and we go under.

Plus the Steelers can borrow 2million to next year or something too. Its like giving your wife a freaking credit card, LOL

Now I read someplace there are benefits to holding players on a certain time before they cut them, like March they get more relief but I cant find the timing article I read last week.

Ricco Suavez
02-22-2012, 03:48 PM
What about back up QB all of them are UFA I believe do we sign any back or look to keep one and draft one, your thoughts.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Hey thats next year, lol... Thats the FO office motto and they trademarked it already, LOL

Well we do need an Olineman, and our draft picks.
Kapinos, MClendon and Redman are Ex rights Fa, but they are already in the 142mill number we started with that we are cutting down. I'm wondering did we borrow the 3million last year that the nfl gave us for cap relief. If so that bill is coming due as well.

Assuming 4 of the drafted guys will stick at 4/5million tops, they will need about 3 additional players

Curtain_of_Steel
02-22-2012, 03:54 PM
I think they can draft a pretty decent QB 6th round, QB position are getting filled up across the league. He should be good enough to work as a 3. Leftwhich is probably ok to bring back, as you figure where is Batch really going? Let him go home, if we need him we can call him. But Leftwhich will come back for a million or so no market for him, if he is healthy he works.

FrancoLambert
02-22-2012, 05:36 PM

Certain players have to go. They have resrtuctured Wood, Timmons, Taylor and Colon. They may only have 2 other players that make it worthwhile to resrucutre and thats Ben and Harrison. Probably saving about 6-8million by shifting to bonus's.

Cap savings:
Farriors: 2.8million, but we probably need him still, so extend and rework the deal to save 1.5mill
Hampton: 5.9mill, due to signing a stupid short contract they could not prorate longer.

Ward? Can be replaced
Scott, who is he?lol
Hampton, something has to give here. If he is off his knee a bit, he is going to balloon up. Mclenden did pretty well

couple this with a couple restructures, there is 30million. Puts us 25million under the cap.

:applaudit:

To answer your question, we're cutting " a lot of dead and old wood."

It's time to re-tool, aside from McClendon, we've gotten as much out of those players as we can. Cut them, save money, and get younger.

It will serve us in the long run.

tanda10506
02-22-2012, 06:12 PM
A third string QB is nothing to look for, might as well keep Batch at #3, #3 will never even get on the field. Need to focus on the O line #1 and the D line and ILB. This year Sylvester should get a lot of time, probably should start, but we still need another young guy there since Foote and Farrior will be playing their last year this year, if they even come back at all. On the d line we need a NT. As far as the cap goes, that list of guys can go, sounds harsh but Kemo and Scott suck, Smith doesnt play, Farior is unbelievably slow in coverage and Foote ia getting old too, but we will likely keep one of them. I think the decision on Ward will be based on what happens with Wallace and then what happens with Cotchery. If either of them go then keep him if he is willing to take #4/5 money. If they both stay then its likely he will be released. One option might be to keep Ward as #4, sign Cotchery as #3, look for a good WR in the draft and let Wallace walk. Doesnt seem like being a Steeler means anything to him, he thinks he is on the top of his game when he hasnt shown up in a game since around week 9 or 10, and one of his first comments in his sports kings interview was " I got to get my money". I say we are better of using that big chunk of money signing a FA guard and maybe one or two other FA's who can play right now.

steeltheone
02-22-2012, 08:31 PM
I keep Foote over Farrior..Foote is only 31 and will be able to provide depth for 2 or 3 more years....or start when needed.

60_MINUTES
02-22-2012, 11:07 PM
I keep Foote over Farrior..Foote is only 31 and will be able to provide depth for 2 or 3 more years....or start when needed.

Foote can provide depth and start when needed for 2 or 3 years??? he was cut two years ago..not as a cap cut but because he cant get it done.. He is at best a decent back up and because of our lack of depth at MLB I agree maybe you keep him for one more year at best

But if I had to choose one of them for one year I would still take James F

LVSteelersfan
02-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Foote sucks. He never should have been brought back the second time around. He was obviously not up to par when they kept trying to put him in on third downs last year. Slow of Foote needs to go. Farrior as well. Get the new young blood in the mix and let them learn on the fly.

tony hipchest
02-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Foote sucks. He never should have been brought back the second time around. He was obviously not up to par when they kept trying to put him in on third downs last year. Slow of Foote needs to go. Farrior as well. Get the new young blood in the mix and let them learn on the fly.watch what you wish for.

for those who havent figured it out yet, keyaron fox and thadeus gibson sucked way worse than foote and farrior.

the jury is still out on stevenson and carter.

im not saying we need to keep the vets, but i see a list of players suggested to be cut who cants simply be replaced with a warm body if the playoffs are still a realistic goal.

for those who havent been paying attention to the front office we ARE NOT in rebuilding mode.

steeltheone
02-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Foote can provide depth and start when needed for 2 or 3 years??? he was cut two years ago..not as a cap cut but because he cant get it done.. He is at best a decent back up and because of our lack of depth at MLB I agree maybe you keep him for one more year at best

But if I had to choose one of them for one year I would still take James F

He was not cut per say ...They were gonna start Timmons ( rightfully so ) and he wanted to start. You hit the nail on the head " decent backup" Thats what i was trying to say. nice vet depth a bargin price. I in no way want him starting!

Farrior should not start and at 37 is not a good candidate for mop up duty. We have to many 33 and ups.

Dalarin
02-25-2012, 09:40 AM
watch what you wish for.

for those who havent figured it out yet, keyaron fox and thadeus gibson sucked way worse than foote and farrior.

the jury is still out on stevenson and carter.

im not saying we need to keep the vets, but i see a list of players suggested to be cut who cants simply be replaced with a warm body if the playoffs are still a realistic goal.

for those who havent been paying attention to the front office we ARE NOT in rebuilding mode.

Let me defend Fox by saying he was the best non-return special teams player I can remember playing for any team. He always made that big tackle or broke the wedge wide open

FrancoLambert
02-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Let me defend Fox by saying he was the best non-return special teams player I can remember playing for any team. He always made that big tackle or broke the wedge wide open

I also remember him having the knack for hurting the team by commiting several foolish penalties.

fujirama24
02-25-2012, 10:15 AM

Yeah but fox probable cost us the super bowl last year with that stupid late hit before are final drive. The guy played like a complete idiot that whole year. Before that I thought he was going to be Farriors, successor.

FrancoLambert
02-25-2012, 10:18 AM

I move on from both. We've seen their ceilings.

Are they going to improve? Doubtful. Maybe one can be a backup at best.

Time to let the young play and see if they are the answer long term.

We need to re-tool now before it's to late and rebuilding becomes the issue.

micraydim
02-27-2012, 07:08 AM
That's a hard question . but in order the development for the team to grow stronger . we'd better do something . such as bring in some awesome guy to make up the the shortness of the team to perform perfectly .

pancake
02-27-2012, 05:47 PM
I would cut Foote and see if Farrior would resturctor his contract. (take a pay cut along with Ward). Lose Kemo and A Smith and we should have enough money to sign our picks and Wallace.

Pa Yankee
02-27-2012, 05:50 PM

I would keep Farrior and Foote for one more year and draft an ILB in the first round.

DanRooney
02-27-2012, 06:23 PM
I find it funny how everyone did a complete 180 on Hines Ward. You're welcome.

tony hipchest
02-27-2012, 11:53 PM
lol... i find delusions of grandeur funny.

I find it funny how everyone did a complete 180 on Hines Ward. You're welcome.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/seekingsusan.jpg

Desperately Seeking Cyber-attention

your welcome. :hatsoff:

MasterOfPuppets
02-27-2012, 11:56 PM
:chuckle:

DanRooney
02-28-2012, 04:15 AM
I actually haven't posted here in a while, and probably won't do much posting until draft day, so no attention needed. I just got bored the other day and found it funny how some people are going off about how Hines Ward is done...only a year or two too late.

Bayz101
02-28-2012, 05:10 AM
I actually haven't posted here in a while, and probably won't do much posting until draft day, so no attention needed. I just got bored the other day and found it funny how some people are going off about how Hines Ward is done...only a year or two too late.

Hines had 755 yards receiving last year, and a 1,000 yard season the year before. His 2010 totals we're bested by Mike Wallace this year by a mere 30-40 yards, and Wallace is considered our top guy! I mean, sure he had an off year this year, but he also played a majority of the season on an injured ankle. Look how Ben played on his injured ankle. Remember San Francisco?

Nothing at all shows that he should have retired years ago, and regardless of his performance this year, and all opinions, players have bad seasons. All of them.

Hines can play next year, and i'm sure he'd be effective.

Whether or not it'll be with us is still left to be seen.

Rick5895
02-28-2012, 05:28 AM

I still think Ward has value on this team, albeit not at his current salary. If we happen to lose Wallace, we may just need Hines here. as a 4th or 5th and if what he says is true and he will re-structure or re-do his contract think even with Wallace (I don't think he will) returning Ward still has value. The locker room may be devoid of leadership this coming season, if all those cuts come as expected and Ward if nothing else is valuable in that sense.

Rick5895
02-28-2012, 05:38 AM

Cap savings:

Ward? Can be replaced
Scott, who is he?lol

What you say here makes a lot of sense. We may just need Farrior on the defensive side of the ball. Especially if we don't pick up a stud ILB in the draft.
I think the trickiest part here is what to do with Big Snack. He is due lots of money this season and is injured, however, what does cutting really save? What is his cap hit should we cut him and what do we have to pay out in injury settlement should he be cut? We need to draft a NT and if Poe is gone by 24 we may just need to keep Casey around. I am not sold on McClendon, would rather have Ziggy move to NT.
Either way we seem to be in a spot of trouble with 2 very key positions on this D, being NT and ILB. This draft is deep with interior OL so we should be taking either Hightower or Poe with our 1st round pick.