PDA

View Full Version : Colbert: Wallace a Steeler for life

bac151rum
02-23-2012, 01:56 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/02/23/colbert-wants-to-keep-wallace-a-steeler-for-life/?module=HP11_headline_stack

From NFL.com:

“We’re going to do everything we can to make sure that Mike Wallace remains a Pittsburgh Steeler, and I think that’s Mike’s belief as well,” Colbert said. “Usually when you’ve got two parties who share the same goal, it’s easier to achieve that goal.”- Colbert

“The thing I can say for sure about Mike is that we want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers,” Colbert said. “And I’m very confident that Mike wants to finish his career with the Steelers and play with a great quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger and the other receivers we have to compliment him."

OX1947
02-23-2012, 02:37 PM
But but but but the media said he is gone!! ****ing douche bags...

Atlanta Dan
02-23-2012, 02:51 PM
I thought this was noteworthy

Colbert did not rule out the possibility the Steelers could use the franchise tag on Wallace

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12054/1212202-100.stm

IMO to keep Wallace the Steelers are going to need to franchise him - Wallace will not be taking a hometown discount and any team that signs Wallace as a FA will structure the deal in a way that will cost the Steelers more under the 2012 cap than the $9.2 million franchise tag

Of course the Steelers do not have $9.2 million for 2012:noidea:

steelfury02
02-23-2012, 02:53 PM
either way - Steelers will continue to find ways to compete regardless of how many times this or that is going to hurt our chances

BKAnthem
02-23-2012, 03:03 PM
I don't see him Staying.....

bac151rum
02-23-2012, 03:09 PM
If we franchise him, we still have the ability to work out a long term deal at considerably less, may $6 mill a year. While that sounds like a crapload, for a #1 wide receiver, it isn't. His cap hit on March 13th (or whatever the date is) isn't necessariloy the same as his cap hit on the first day of the season (when it really matters).

steeltheone
02-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Keeping him is fine and good but next year say goodbye to Brown.

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Colbert also expects Hampton to return next year. "ACL injuries don't effect Nose Tackles like they do Running Back's".

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 04:18 PM
If keeping him now hurt's our chances of keeping Brown next year, i'd kick his ass out of town and pay the air fare.

Steelerfreak58
02-23-2012, 04:44 PM
either way - Steelers will continue to find ways to compete regardless of how many times this or that is going to hurt our chances

So many seem to forget this simple little fact.

Steelerfreak58
02-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Colbert also expects Hampton to return next year. "ACL injuries don't effect Nose Tackles like they do Running Back's".

His assessment is correct. ACL rehab is pretty straight forward now. For RBs and WRs that have to do quick cuts it takes a lot longs for a NT who is basically driving forward most of the game it is easier to get back into game form.

tanda10506
02-23-2012, 05:41 PM
If we franchise him then we pay him 9mil for one year and then he walks the next year anyway right? Thats a lot of money, especially with Brown needing to be signed next year, and I think Sanders will be looking for a contract next year too. I think Wallace has the potential to be one of the best WR's in football and I would love to keep him, but spending 9mil on him and then having are #1, 2, and 3 receivers as free agents next year doesnt make sense. Maybe I dont understand it correctly, but I would try to sign Wallace this year, if he doesnt sign and wants to leave, then let him go, dont break the bank even if its possible. Sign Cotchery, keep Ward at #4 if he will take #4 money, and then work on securing Brown and Sanders the following year. Take the #1 pick for Wallace and look for a tall, fast receiver in the draft. If there isnt one this draft then look the next draft. Its hard to make a decision between Brown and Wallace. I think Wallace has the potential to be one of the best in the NFL for a long time and one of the best deep threats ever, but Brown already seems ahead of him in route running, he is still pretty fast, and is actually playing like a top WR now instead of dissapearing mid season. Either way, I think paying him 9mil for one year then having him and Brown FA's next year (and Sanders too I think) is a bad idea.

ricardisimo
02-23-2012, 06:03 PM
In case no one has noticed, Colbert is saying lots of things, many of them completely contradictory. He must be a big fan of the Bible.

So lots of cuts are coming, but everyone might be back, including Ward, Snack, Charlie and Byron, Wallace, etc. So, who does that leave? Suisham and Farrior get cut, everyone else stays. Just keep restructuring Ben's contract every five minutes and we'll be fine. :noidea:

6RingsAndCounting
02-23-2012, 09:47 PM
We do not NEED him, it would be nice to have him, but we don't need him. The Steelers have done this many of times, Plaxico, Santonio.. They will find a replacement for Wallace like they always do. We won a Super Bowl with Cedric Wilson as our number two receiver, we can win with Emmanuel Sanders as our number 2, but we cannot win without a defense, which is where that first round pick could help us.

I'm not saying I want to lose him, but if we do, then it won't kill us.

StainlessStill
02-23-2012, 09:59 PM
We won a Super Bowl with Cedric Wilson as our number two receiver, we can win with Emmanuel Sanders as our number 2, but we cannot win without a defense, which is where that first round pick could help us.

Wasn't Ced our #3? We had Hines #1, Randle-El #2 and Ced #3 and I believe Nate Washington #4 and Lee Mays #5.

6RingsAndCounting
02-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Wasn't Ced our #3? We had Hines #1, Randle-El #2 and Ced #3 and I believe Nate Washington #4 and Lee Mays #5.

Well, Ced was targeted more than Randle El in the playoffs, as shown by his strong performance throughout the 05 playoffs, but on the depth chart your right.

SH-Rock
02-24-2012, 12:05 AM
Keeping him is fine and good but next year say goodbye to Brown.

Don't think so. If the rest of the older guys don't retire this year, they'll retire next year.

Millers the sh!t
02-24-2012, 02:23 AM
So basically, nothing has changed. Wallace said he'd bounce I he doesn't get paid, then the next day out GM says the steelers are doing everything they can to keep Wallace. We knew this since the season ended. The off season is soooooo boring. Can't wait till the 13th.

Anyways, I love Wallace and I'd hate to see him go. But I think it's gonna be too much to keep him. We can, and have won the big game without him. Depending on our cap room I'd say let him test the waters. If we can get an extra first rounder and save a few million for other youngens on our team, I say let it happen. If we keep Wallace I say Sanders is gone when it's time to sign him.

I'm sorry, I don't know much about players contracts but, what do we have worked out with Pouncey, Redman, legursky, Sylvester and some of our young db's?

SteelCity'33
02-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Keeping Wallace makes sense in terms of avoiding another void that will need filled. Steelers let him go, then burn a high pick on a WR or grab a FA, it's still gonna cost money. I don't believe Brown can be a true #1 WR without someone on the outside to take the top off of defenses. I think drafting a WR in the later rounds and developing over the next year may give the Steelers the ability to let Wallace walk next year. Sanders hasn't proven he can stay healthy either.

kan_t
02-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Rooney thinks he's the top priority. Colbert thinks that he's the one to stay. I don't see him wearing other uniform in the coming season.

Fire Arians
02-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Keeping Wallace makes sense in terms of avoiding another void that will need filled. Steelers let him go, then burn a high pick on a WR or grab a FA, it's still gonna cost money. I don't believe Brown can be a true #1 WR without someone on the outside to take the top off of defenses. I think drafting a WR in the later rounds and developing over the next year may give the Steelers the ability to let Wallace walk next year. Sanders hasn't proven he can stay healthy either.

i agree, brown is a great #2 guy but I don't see him as a legitimate #1 threat. He reminds me of randle el in his prime. dangerous #2/#3 wr but will never be a #1 guy. his career died when the redskins signed him (stupidly) to be that guy

pete74
02-24-2012, 01:52 PM
thats why i cant see how all these people want us to drop Wallace for a draft pick. i have heard so many people tear up on Wallace over the last few weeks and i dont think they understand what happens if we lose him. Brown is good but can he be a #1? can he still produce when Wallace isnt there to occupy the other teams best corner. Brown was very rarley double covered. Wallace almost always has the other teams top corner and a saftey deep on him.
i want to see what all these people say next year when we get our line problem fixed and Wallace is tearing it up. i bet they jump right back on the wagon and say there glad we didnt lose him.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
02-24-2012, 01:59 PM
thats why i cant see how all these people want us to drop Wallace for a draft pick. i have heard so many people tear up on Wallace over the last few weeks and i dont think they understand what happens if we lose him. Brown is good but can he be a #1? can he still produce when Wallace isnt there to occupy the other teams best corner. Brown was very rarley double covered. Wallace almost always has the other teams top corner and a saftey deep on him.
i want to see what all these people say next year when we get our line problem fixed and Wallace is tearing it up. i bet they jump right back on the wagon and say there glad we didnt lose him.

:tt03: