PDA

View Full Version : Ben restructures for 8million savings

Curtain_of_Steel
02-23-2012, 05:24 PM
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=771101-steelers-ben-roethlisberger-restructures-deal

Not a lot of details, but in one swoop of the pen, we are under the cap. They have got to do the overhaul now so we can use this years cap to offset some for next year. Stop the loyalty it didnt pay, RE Smith and Ward, its time!

:drink:

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 05:25 PM
My friend tells me Ben restructured his contract today. It was announced on 93.7, no articles yet. Said to be saving the team eight million.

That's a lot of cheese.

Post any articles if you find them!!

Bayz101
Here's one:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/34963262

Curtain_of_Steel
Added link with details

Since it now seems that the most important thing in the world for the Steelers to do this offseason is keep Mike Wallace in the organization -- clearly the franchise is being truthful when it says it wants the receiver to spend his entire career in Pittsburgh -- even Ben Roethlisberger is willing to sacrifice.

According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, Roethlisberger has restructured his contract so the Steelers can save about $8 million in cap space for 2012. Reporter Ed Bouchette writes that the cap space saved by the Roethlisberger restructuring will put the Steelers at about the cap limit of $120 million.

Roethlisberger signed an eight-year, $102 million deal in 2008, and though he was originally supposed to make $11.6 million in 2012, Pittsburgh has taken $10.7 million of that and converted it into a signing bonus. As Mac’s Football Blog points out, the signing bonus will then add $2.675 million to the Steelers salary cap from 2013-2015. Roethlisberger will make at least $11.6 million per year in those three seasons.

Pittsburgh clearly wants to keep Wallace, a restricted free agent this offseason, for the long term, and in order to do that, the Steelers will have to sign him to a long, rich contract. Or they could franchise tag him, which would cost the team about $9.5 million for 2012. Even with Roethlisberger’s restructuring, reaching that mark probably will be tough.

And at this point, Wallace isn’t sure he’ll return to his team.

"(Pittsburgh is) where I would like to be, but we all know that it is a business and you have certain things you have to handle," Wallace told Sirius XM NFL radio on Wednesday. "So if I have to go elsewhere, you know Pittsburgh will always be in my heart, but I have to do what I have to do.

"Yeah, we are talking, but I don`t know how far they are going to get right now because of the situation. I know that they are working hard trying to take care of it, but I don`t know. We`ll see.”

Most likely, the Steelers will place a first-round tender on Wallace, but a team that needs receiver help and that has plenty of space under its respective salary cap (and can let go of a first-round pick) might have a better chance of making an offer to Wallace the Steelers simply can’t match. Then, it won’t matter what Roethlisberger has sacrificed, because one of his top targets will be gone.

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 05:26 PM
This pretty much wipe's out our Cap Issues, with people still left to cut.

meelanova
02-23-2012, 05:29 PM
Someone reported it on BSPN. We're still 9 mil over. But that 8 mil we just saved helps out a helluva lot

Curtain_of_Steel
02-23-2012, 05:29 PM
As I have been stating, with the right deals, we could easily be 20-25mill UNDER the cap. Ben's structure, puts us 4million under.

Add Ward, Kemo, Farrior OR Foote, Hampton, Smith, thats 18million.

Step up FO, and do the deeds now. Put Fido and Old Yeller out of their misery, lol

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Someone reported it on BSPN. We're still 9 mil over. But that 8 mil we just saved helps out a helluva lot

Not sure how we're nine million over when we we're five million over when we restructured Colon's contract :hunch:

I'm almost certain this restructure wipe's out or cap troubles.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Meel,

we are under the cap now with the cuts to Mac and Battle. That reporter dropped out of public school, he can't add.

Unless Goodell just lowered the cap another 10million to F with us, lol

Curtain_of_Steel
02-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Bayz, they need to hire us, enough of this crap. lol Anyone with 10 fingers and 7 toes can add this up

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 05:32 PM
As I have been stating, with the right deals, we could easily be 20-25mill UNDER the cap. Ben's structure, puts us 4million under.

Add Ward, Kemo, Farrior OR Foote, Hampton, Smith, thats 18million.

Step up FO, and do the deeds now. Put Fido and Old Yeller out of their misery, lol

Several outlets are reporting that this restructure put's us right at, if not slightly behind the 120 Million Cap.

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Bayz, they need to hire us, enough of this crap. lol Anyone with 10 fingers and 7 toes can add this up

I know right? If prior reports weren't fabricated, we should be under the Cap now with the restructure. That's for sure.

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 05:38 PM
http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2012/02/steelers-restructure-willie-colons.html

When Colon restructured his contract, it left us with 5-6 million dollar's in Cap to make up for. Now, with Ben providing us with 8 Million dollars in savings, we're 2-3 million dollars in the safe zone.

bac151rum
02-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Think it depends on how they're doing the math. Some of the sources that still have us over the cap are assuming (and adding in) tenders to all the RFAs on our list, which includes 2.7 mil to Wallace and around a million three to all of the other RFAs

ricardisimo
02-23-2012, 05:39 PM
I believe Harrison also offered to restructure at the same time as Ben, which would help even more.

bac151rum
02-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Found what I was looking for. Steelers Depot does a good run down of the salary cap for us.
http://burgh.us/7gq

Kingmagyar
02-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul later. Will it ever catch up to us?

I hope the team isn't doing this to keep Hampton, Ward, Farrior, Kemo, Smith, Foote, etc.

The Steelers really love their vets don't they? They just don't want to believe they can draft a Nose Tackle or an Inside Linebacker and they can come in here and actually be good enough to play right away. This team is like a high school team where the freshman can't possibly play and the seniors never graduate.

Fire Arians
02-23-2012, 05:46 PM
ben's going to do everything he can to keep his favorite wr in pittsburgh

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Mcfadden and Battle cut's shaved off 3.9 million. Ike Taylor restructure shaved off 3.285 million, and Woodley and Timmons restructures combined for a savings of 10 Million +

Willie Colon just restructured, and saved us 2.85 million, and Ben Roethlisberger saved us a whopping 8 million as just reported. I'm not a mathematician, but that add's up to 28 million +.

We started the off-season 25 million over.

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 05:52 PM
So with that being said, if all reports we're true, we're 3 million + below the cap limit's.

tony hipchest
02-23-2012, 05:56 PM
its too early to say they are now under by 4 million-

Feb. 16, 2012 5:56 p.m. - by Chuck Finder - Colbert: Steelers were up to $30 million over cap
General Manager Kevin Colbert cautioned against focusing on a specific cap overage number. He told KDKA-FM Thursday that the Steelers -- before restructuring and terminations -- were $20-$30 million over the cap. The number had been reported as $25 million.

we have trimmed 29 million off whatever the final number may be.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-23-2012, 06:01 PM
My fear is we restructure to much abd we over pay and keep people like Wrad, Smith et al.

As we are nothing buy loyal to the aging fellas

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 06:01 PM
its too early to say they are now under by 4 million-

Feb. 16, 2012 5:56 p.m. - by Chuck Finder - Colbert: Steelers were up to $30 million over cap
General Manager Kevin Colbert cautioned against focusing on a specific cap overage number. He told KDKA-FM Thursday that the Steelers -- before restructuring and terminations -- were $20-$30 million over the cap. The number had been reported as $25 million.

we have trimmed 29 million off whatever the final number may be.

Based on what was reported (25 Million), we're under the cap. God only know's if Colbert is blowing smoke, we could be 800 million under and more screwed than Pamela Anderson.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Bayz

The cap is 120mill now? I thought it was 123-125? WTf, lol

Did they offically set the cap yet? If not what the hell are they waiting on?

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Bayz

The cap is 120mill now? I thought it was 123-125? WTf, lol

Did they offically set the cap yet? If not what the hell are they waiting on?

My bad, it's not 120 million, but that number didn't effect my estimations in any way. The fact of the matter is: We're still 29 million dollars to whatever that final number may be. It was reported that we we're 25 million over the cap, and now it seems that number may be as high as 30 million. The League cap is estimated to land in between 23-25 million, but I don't believe a number has been set.

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 06:06 PM
Wait a minute, where did I mention 120 million? lol.

OX1947
02-23-2012, 06:06 PM
My fear is we restructure to much abd we over pay and keep people like Wrad, Smith et al.

As we are nothing buy loyal to the aging fellas

The cap will be going up probably 20 mil in the next few years once the new tv contracts come into effect. Steelers are in great shape.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-23-2012, 06:10 PM
Not sure if you said it, lol. My eyes are getting tired and my brain is frying over these numbers, lol.

Ill be a happy camper when we cut the dead wood and move on and secure Wallace.

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 06:13 PM
We need to be smart about how we do things this year, so next off-season isn't as bad. We'll need to resign Brown next year, and i'd push Wallace out of town if signing him hurt our chances of signing Brown! If the Steelers front office wasn't blowing smoke with the 25 million figure, we're now 4 million in the safe zone, with plenty of cut's to come. Or at least plenty of cut's that should come. If the figure isn't really 25 million, we're still fine as long as it's below 29.

tony hipchest
02-23-2012, 06:15 PM
word is the cap should be set for sure this weekend. everything ive seen indicates it will be between 121-123 mil. if it looks like it wont help the steelers any, it may even reach as high as 125.

roger goodell is just waiting to see if he can price mike wallace out of the steelers range.

we must also take into account the exclusive right tenders to kapinos, mcclendon, and redman.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-23-2012, 06:20 PM
We now know the context of Haleys and Bens meeting

Ben: Hey Todd how the F are you? You know who calls the shots right? Lets get that out of the way right now.

Todd: F U Ben, you heard the Roooneys its my way or the highway. You will end up in St Louis or worse the new team in Toronto.

Ben: Oh yea you fing Ahole? You think so? Guess what the FO water walkers need from me Todd?

Todd: They need you to take less sacks? lol.

Ben:Nope you Fing douchebag, they need 8million from me to sign your all pro WR that YOU need in your soon to be airshow featuring ME BigBen. I don't need him, because they want you to run run run behind my swiss cheese Oline, I can hand off all day long at 10million a year.. Hows your high flying act going to go without one of the best WR in the league you Ahole? How long will you last handing off th eball and trying to run? I'll tell you how, you will last about as long as you did in BAYZ's gif video that a Fing see 100 times a day.

Todd: F me... Ok Ben lets work together, I'll agree to be your bitch in private but let me retain my balls in public. You can call the shots, but I need to drop F bombs to retain my manhood and keep up with the gif website.

OX1947
02-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Either the steelers keep wallace or get another first rounder in the first round. This is a deep draft, steelers are in great shape either way.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Tony
We also get to borrow 2million this year from next. So like our wifes, the Steelers will probably ring up that credit card, lol
2011 they had the right to borrow 3million, not sure if we did that or not. the way they manage the ca, we probably borrow 6million, lol

tony hipchest
02-23-2012, 06:29 PM
we did borrow that 3 million. not sure if we "owe it back" this year.

Roethlisberger restructures contract, puts Steelers near cap
Thursday, February 23, 2012
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Don Wright/APPittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger drops back to pass during a game against the Cincinnati Bengals at Heinz Field in December.Ben Roethlisberger became the fifth Steelers player to restructure his deal, and this one may bring the team even with the NFL's salary cap.

Roethlisberger, without giving up any money, reworked his deal for salary cap accounting purposes and cleared about $8 million in team cap room, according to his agent Ryan Tollner.

Since the Steelers were estimated to be about $8 million over the projected $120 million per-team salary cap, it should bring them close to even.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12054/1212222-100.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1nFbDDhcN

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Okay, okay, I'll change my damn siggy, lol.

tony hipchest
02-23-2012, 06:39 PM
by executive order the hot dogg siggy stays.

we do get a bit of salary cap flex as only the top 51 paid players count. = approx $600,000.

about the only thing we do know as of today is weve trimmed 29 mil, and need to be atleast 9.4 mil under for wallace and then and additional 2 mil for the exclusive tenders (kapinos, mcclendon, redman). then we still gotta consider keeping gay (not that theres anything wrong with that).

OX1947
02-23-2012, 06:44 PM

we do get a bit of salary cap flex as only the top 51 paid players count. = approx $600,000.

about the only thing we do know as of today is weve trimmed 29 mil, and need to be atleast 9.4 mil under for wallace and then and additional 2 mil for the exclusive tenders (kapinos, mcclendon, redman). then we still gotta consider keeping gay (not that theres anything wrong with that).

I am all for Gay staying, straight up.

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 06:53 PM

Sorry Curtain, the higher up has spoken :chuckle:

As for the additional numbers, I think we could easily get ourselves 10 million below the cap with some of the cuts that can be made, and SHOULD be made.

Not to mention Harrison was willing to restructure, and i'm sure there's even more players who would be willing to do so as well.

tony hipchest
02-23-2012, 06:59 PM
I am all for Gay staying, straight up.same here.

i almost forgot, in addition to the 9.4 + 2 mil (+possibly gay) we will still need another 5-6 mil for draft picks according to mark kaboly. that plus most teams like to have a rainy day fund for players who wind up on IR (so they can afford someone off the street like max starks last year in emergancy) + 2 mil.

so while we are looking good for the march deadline, we should still expect to clear an additional 20 mil before endgame. any leeway we get due to a higher than expected cap, or fractions of a million not figured, is just gravy.

Bayz101
02-23-2012, 07:01 PM
same here.

i almost forgot, in addition to the 9.4 + 2 mil (+possibly gay) we will still need another 5-6 mil for draft picks according to mark kaboly. that plus most teams like to have a rainy day fund for players who wind up on IR (so they can afford someone off the street like max starks last year in emergancy) + 2 mil.

so while we are looking good for the march deadline, we should still expect to clear an additional 20 mil before endgame. any leeway we get due to a higher than expected cap, or fractions of a million not figured, is just gravy.

In other words: Business as usual.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Oh it can stay, lol. I just still crack up when I see it, I do not not like it, lol i love it...

fujirama24
02-23-2012, 10:11 PM
Wow I am super suprised by this. If they do the same with Troy and Harrison. They really might resign wallace. I have been one of the one's saying that wallace is as good as gone. But now I am not so sure. The steelers have never paid top dollar for a WR but they maybe changing there ways. Maybe they feel we can start to sign WR instead of Running Backs. This is a hugh turn on what they have done in the past. Suprising the heck out of me. Let's see where this takes us. On another note everyone is calling for Aaron smith to retire. But he is only scheduled to make 700,000 next year. If he is physically able to play that is not a bad number for a backup though his cap hit is like 2.1 mill.

Busforever
02-24-2012, 12:39 AM
Just a couple of things to keep in mind when talking about "steelers have to cut him, restructuring him..."
1. cuting a player make you save money, but you have to use part of it, just to sign another guy. and fill the roster. Short term problem.
2 restructuring a contract make you save money now, but contract will be heavier on next years. Long term problem.

Just my 2 cents. Don't forget the staff has to deal with all of it.

Bayz101
02-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Just a couple of things to keep in mind when talking about "steelers have to cut him, restructuring him..."
1. cuting a player make you save money, but you have to use part of it, just to sign another guy. and fill the roster. Short term problem.
2 restructuring a contract make you save money now, but contract will be heavier on next years. Long term problem.

Just my 2 cents. Don't forget the staff has to deal with all of it.

It's all going into a signing bonus, not the end of the contract, although I get what you mean. I could cause cap issues down the road.

ricardisimo
02-24-2012, 01:09 AM
It's all going into a signing bonus, not the end of the contract, although I get what you mean. I could cause cap issues down the road.
But for the purposes of the cap, the signing bonus is spread out over the life of the contract. It hurts long-term, it's true.

Bayz101
02-24-2012, 01:26 AM
But for the purposes of the cap, the signing bonus is spread out over the life of the contract. It hurts long-term, it's true.

Piss off i'm drunkj :chuckle:

plenewken
02-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Added link with details

Since it now seems that the most important thing in the world for the Steelers to do this offseason is keep Mike Wallace in the organization -- clearly the franchise is being truthful when it says it wants the receiver to spend his entire career in Pittsburgh -- even Ben Roethlisberger is willing to sacrifice.

What exactly is Ben sacrificing? He gets his money UPFRONT as a signing bonus instead of a salary. I don't see no sacrifice at all.
It's an accounting gimmick, not a reduction of the players total compensation.

Same for all the players who restructured their contract this year.

Kanata-Steeler
02-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul later. Will it ever catch up to us?

I hope the team isn't doing this to keep Hampton, Ward, Farrior, Kemo, Smith, Foote, etc.

The Steelers really love their vets don't they? They just don't want to believe they can draft a Nose Tackle or an Inside Linebacker and they can come in here and actually be good enough to play right away. This team is like a high school team where the freshman can't possibly play and the seniors never graduate.

Well, that depends, 2 SB's, thanks to our "old", but experienced #1 Defense kinda shoots that all to heck -don't it ?
Freshman have to "earn" their spot with the Steelers, it's not given to them, (except for Ben), :), and that's why that formula "still" makes the Steelers the "best" team in the NFL.

Kanata-Steeler
02-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Good !,
As long as we PAY Ben a little "less", I will love him even more, even though his wifey may not ?
I mean, it's not all about the money now is it? Football is played from the "heart" first right ?
:)
(yep, possibly more sarcasm)

Busforever
02-24-2012, 11:24 AM
One thing for sure: Steelers owners have a lot of money. Because when you restructure contracts, you transform salaries in signing bonus. For the purpose of the cap, the bonus is spread over the life of contract. But in the real world, all the bonus is given to the player immediately!
Every year the Steelers restructure some contracts to stay under the cap. That's a lot of money to give each time... This year, so far, it's 24 millions. Just to keep players. This is just the price of the stability, no player were added!

So the rule is one thing, but you need cash available to restructure. Teams whose owners don't have enough cash (or don't want to spent it immediately) can't manage contracts like us.

Kanata-Steeler
02-24-2012, 11:34 AM
"...Ben restructures for 8million savings..."
This has been a long time coming now. I'm happy "they" finally see the foolishness of their "spending" now. !
Blame it on the past Ariens', blame it on our past O-Line, ...., who/whatever you want. ?
Bottom-line is, BEN/Offense has NOT been worth the unbelievable monies we have paid him thus far. ?
anything else, is just "...ya, but I'm a loyal member of ILoveBenNoMatterWhat.COM..."
uhhh booo-wooo, and I care less.
Why don't you instead try "ILoveSteelers.com" get it ?!

Ben desreves less, until HE delivers more, and that's what bean-counting 101 is all about kiddies' !
FINALLY ! Ben, Phase 2, comin' up.

Sixburgher
02-24-2012, 11:45 AM
"...Ben restructures for 8million savings..."
This has been a long time coming now. I'm happy "they" finally see the foolishness of their "spending" now. !
Blame it on the past Ariens', blame it on our past O-Line, ...., who/whatever you want. ?
Bottom-line is, BEN/Offense has NOT been worth the unbelievable monies we have paid him thus far. ?
anything else, is just "...ya, but I'm a loyal member of ILoveBenNoMatterWhat.COM..."
uhhh booo-wooo, and I care less.
Why don't you instead try "ILoveSteelers.com" get it ?!

Ben desreves less, until HE delivers more, and that's what bean-counting 101 is all about kiddies' !
FINALLY !

Let's see, 26 year championship drought, with a single Super Bowl appearance during that time resulting in a loss. Ben is drafted in 2004 and all of a sudden, the Steelers make 3 Super Bowl appearances in 7 seasons, with two of them being wins. Coincidence? Think not.

tony hipchest
02-24-2012, 11:50 AM
One thing for sure: Steelers owners have a lot of money. Because when you restructure contracts, you transform salaries in signing bonus. For the purpose of the cap, the bonus is spread over the life of contract. But in the real world, all the bonus is given to the player immediately!
Every year the Steelers restructure some contracts to stay under the cap. That's a lot of money to give each time... This year, so far, it's 24 millions. Just to keep players. This is just the price of the stability, no player were added!

So the rule is one thing, but you need cash available to restructure. Teams whose owners don't have enough cash (or don't want to spent it immediately) can't manage contracts like us.

youre right.

the steelers have written something like $34.5 mil in checks in the past 2 weeks for these restructures. i am awfully suprised the rooneys have that type of cash on hand. im thinking its the entire ownership partner group.

Kanata-Steeler
02-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Let's see, 26 year championship drought, with a single Super Bowl appearance during that time resulting in a loss. Ben is drafted in 2004 and all of a sudden, the Steelers make 3 Super Bowl appearances in 7 seasons, with two of them being wins. Coincidence? Think not.

#1 Defense slowly reaching it's PEAK ! and then we got 2 SB's.
-get it ?.

Sixburgher
02-24-2012, 11:54 AM
#1 Defense slowly reaching it's PEAK ! and then we got 2 SB's.
-get it ?.

Arguably had better defenses in 1994, 1995 and 2001 and didn't win dick. Get it?

Kanata-Steeler
02-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Arguably had better defenses in 1994, 1995 and 2001 and didn't win dick. Get it?
bad post on your part.?, wt_ ?

Kanata-Steeler
02-24-2012, 11:57 AM
Ben's goona get LESS due to this restructuring, that's all you need to know.
Figure out the rest.

Sixburgher
02-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Ben's goona get LESS due to this restructuring, that's all you need to know.
Figure out the rest.

He's not losing a penny.

plenewken
02-24-2012, 12:04 PM

That's not the point. The point is Ben had absolutely nothing to do with him getting his first ring. If O'Donnell played poorly in 1995 against the Cowboys, Ben was beyond putrid against Seattle.
Against Arizona, he played better but definitely not good enough to be a major reason for the win. The key play of the game was Harrison's TD right before 1/2 time. This was a 14pts swing.
Against the Packers, Ben sucked big time.

So for his 3 SB combined, I'll give him a C- grade and I'm being generous. Hardly worth what he's being paid.

Sixburgher
02-24-2012, 12:09 PM
That's not the point. The point is Ben had absolutely nothing to do with him getting his first ring. If O'Donnell played poorly in 1995 against the Cowboys, Ben was beyond putrid against Seattle.
Against Arizona, he played better but definitely not good enough to be a major reason for the win. The key play of the game was Harrison's TD right before 1/2 time. This was a 14pts swing.
Against the Packers, Ben sucked big time.

So for his 3 SB combined, I'll give him a C- grade and I'm being generous. Hardly worth what he's being paid.

And my point is we don't make it to those games in the first place without him. For as badly as he may have played against Seattle, he tore it up in the postseason leading up to it. And he also pulled the defense's fat out of the fire against Arizona. Don't know why people continue to overlook that last drive, or the 13 point 4th quarter lead the defense surrendered in that game. And yes, he played poorly against the Packers, but the defense didn't exactly do a whole hell of a lot to acquit themselves for that loss either, seeing how Rodgers completely lit them up.

Kanata-Steeler
02-24-2012, 12:12 PM
And my point is we don't make it to those games in the first place without him. For as badly as he may have played against Seattle, he tore it up in the postseason leading up to it. And he also pulled the defense's fat out of the fire against Arizona. Don't know why people continue to overlook that last drive.

The same arguement can be brought up for Batch. ie: when Ben was (err um ) absent/hurt, Batch delivered fantastically, on "EVERY" occasion.
'Da QB is a major part of the game, but he ain't ALL of the Offense, for sure.
Get Over It.

Sixburgher
02-24-2012, 12:16 PM
The same arguement can be brought up for Batch. ie: when Ben was (err um ) absent/hurt, Batch delivered fantastically, on "EVERY" occasion.

Uh, did he do it in the postseason? Yeah, I didn't think so. Big difference in delivering against the likes of the Titans and Buccaneers in the first few weeks of the season as opposed to delivering against the conference's 1, 2 and 3 seeds all on the road come playoff time.

Kanata-Steeler
02-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Uh, did he do it in the postseason? Yeah, I didn't think so. Big difference in delivering against the likes of the Titans and Buccaneers in the first few weeks of the season as opposed to delivering against the conference's 1, 2 and 3 seeds all on the road come playoff time.

...didn't have the chance, becuae Mr. T(fish) decided to play a "crippled" Ben, and we woefully got trounced game after game.
Who knows where we would have gone with a "healthy" Batch. ?
once again, get over it.

Sixburgher
02-24-2012, 12:21 PM
...didn't have the chance, becuae Mr. T(fish) decided to play a "crippled" Ben, and we woefully got trounced game after game.
Who knows where we would have gone with a "healthy" Batch. ?
once again, get over it.

We would've lost anyway, I can pretty much guarantee. Or did you not notice Ike's "career game" against the Broncos? Well, of course you didn't, because you always ride the defense's nuts regardless of how it performs and blame everything on Ben and "Ariens".

Fire Arians
02-24-2012, 12:24 PM
We would've lost anyway, I can pretty much guarantee. Or did you not notice Ike's "career game" against the Broncos? Well, of course you didn't, because you always ride the defense's nuts regardless of how it performs and blame everything on Ben and "Ariens".

most likely, but we would have had a realistic shot in the playoffs if ben was healthy. putting him out there hobbled instead of resting the last 3-4 games pretty much all but assured we weren't going to win another championship

Ricco Suavez
02-24-2012, 02:18 PM
And my point is we don't make it to those games in the first place without him. For as badly as he may have played against Seattle, he tore it up in the postseason leading up to it. And he also pulled the defense's fat out of the fire against Arizona. Don't know why people continue to overlook that last drive, or the 13 point 4th quarter lead the defense surrendered in that game. And yes, he played poorly against the Packers, but the defense didn't exactly do a whole hell of a lot to acquit themselves for that loss either, seeing how Rodgers completely lit them up.

Give it up Sixburger, its like talking to a fence post. They do not want to hear about playoff games leading to the first Super Bowl, they do not want to hear about the last Drive Ben was near perfect on. It was won all on the defense just like it was this years offense fault that we lost to Denver. they have the best of both worlds if the Steelers win "its the defense" if we lose "its the offense led by Ben".:banging:

GMU Steeler
02-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Give it up Sixburger, its like talking to a fence post. They do not want to hear about playoff games leading to the first Super Bowl, they do not want to hear about the last Drive Ben was near perfect on. It was won all on the defense just like it was this years offense fault that we lost to Denver. they have the best of both worlds if the Steelers win "its the defense" if we lose "its the offense led by Ben".:banging:

Yeah it's always brought up that Ben struggled in SB XL which is true but it's often ignored that his play got the team there. The defense wasn't lights out at all in those games. They weren't terrible mind you but they weren't the reason we beat Cincy, Indy, and Denver. Anyhow, I think this speaks for itself. The franchise had one Super Bowl appearance between 1980 and 2005 and since Ben's been our starter since 2004, we have three SB appearances including two wins. Is the D partially responsible for that? Of course but so the offense is too. I highly doubt we're at 6 SBs if Maddox or Batch is the team's starting QB going forward from 2004.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Well Ricco, Ben could've ran onto the field and tackled thomas, could he not have? So in that sense it was the offenses fault, lol

Where was the sprinkler guy when you need him. I think Ike was waiting back waiting for them to pop up as he didn't want to trip over them.

Ricco Suavez
02-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Well Ricco, Ben could've ran onto the field and tackled thomas, could he not have? So in that sense it was the offenses fault, lol

Where was the sprinkler guy when you need him. I think Ike was waiting back waiting for them to pop up as he didn't want to trip over them.

Good one there. Yea should of know Ben screwed up some where. Hell it was his fault last time we did not make the playoffs, we scored too quick and gave the other team the ball last that year. :rofl:

Curtain_of_Steel
02-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Ben cost us the 2nd Ravens game too...As our prevent defense worked in the 2nd game against the Ravens .... Oh wait, it didn't work, we let a POS QB in Flacco do a career 90 plus yard drive on our def asses.

Amazing how I can always fit in that POS Flacco someplace in conversation, lol