PDA

View Full Version : Hampton to return; Ward's future uncertain with Steelers

mesaSteeler
02-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Hampton to return; Ward's future uncertain with Steelers

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, February 24, 2012

INDIANAPOLIS Casey Hampton's third major knee injury apparently won't stop the Steelers from bringing the veteran nose tackle back next season.

Hines Ward's future with the Steelers is less certain, and the veteran receiver remains in a holding pattern because the team isn't expected to release any more players until early March.

General manager Kevin Colbert said no decision has been made about Ward. The Steelers' all-time leading receiver has two years left on his contract and is willing to restructure his deal so he can return for a 15th season in Pittsburgh.

"I think there's value in having any experienced player because you want someone to show (younger receivers) the way beyond their coaches," Colbert said. "Ultimately, that player has to be able to help you win not only be a mentor, but be a contributor, as well."

The Steelers apparently think Hampton still can contribute.

Colbert didn't hesitate to say "yes" when asked if Hampton will play for the team next season.

Hampton suffered his third torn ACL last month in Denver.

Colbert said Hampton's history with knee injuries will actually help him as he works his way back.

"He knows what to expect," Colbert said. "He knows how to do this."

>> Colbert said the Steelers hope to re-sign veteran quarterbacks Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich. Batch served as Ben Roethlisberger's backup last season after Leftwich suffered a season-ending arm injury in a preseason game.

"I think they're comfortable being a part of (the team), and I think they're open (to returning)," Colbert said.

He also said he expects Dennis Dixon, an unrestricted free agent, to go elsewhere after the free-agent signing period starts March 13.

"I don't think the league has seen the best of Dennis Dixon only because he's behind a great quarterback, and he's been held back by some injuries," Colbert said.

>> The Steelers offered running back Isaac Redman, defensive tackle Steve McLendon and punter Jeremy Kapinos one-year contracts. They are exclusive-rights free agents and can't entertain offers from other teams.

>> The Steelers have the 24th overall pick in this year's draft, and Colbert said quarterback is the only every-down position the team won't consider with that selection.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Hampton to return; Ward's future uncertain with Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_783305.html#ixzz1nH5KQQlV

Lady Steel
02-24-2012, 02:04 AM
>> Colbert said the Steelers hope to re-sign veteran quarterbacks Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich. Batch served as Ben Roethlisberger's backup last season after Leftwich suffered a season-ending arm injury in a preseason game.

Re-sign Leftwich? Really? Ack! I hate him. I was hoping that made-of-glass QB would be gone after incurring yet another injury last year. I think it's about time the Steelers gave him the heave ho and moved on.

Bayz101
02-24-2012, 02:10 AM
I have a feeling all the vet's will be back in there place next year. No need to draft when you'll wait until they've only got a few years to play to use them.

Bayz101
02-24-2012, 02:14 AM
For the record: The above post was the first time I've bitched about the team this off-season. Before it was the countless number of time's I bitched about the media :chuckle:

steeltheone
02-24-2012, 03:08 AM
Hampton is washed...I cant believe they will pay that kind of money to a player half of what he was...I'll take McClendon at at 1/4 of the price and a fa signing.

MasterOfPuppets
02-24-2012, 05:16 AM
so basically hampton will be last years aaron smith...:doh:
hell they might as well give ward his 4.6 mill for 20 bubble screens.

FrancoLambert
02-24-2012, 05:25 AM
:banging:

Hampton will be back. So will Leftwich. Maybe there's a spot for Ward after all.

Talk about role reversal.

Usually it's the loyal fans who want to hold on to players that are done.

Not here. It's the front office this time.

IT'S TIME TO RE-TOOL SO WE WON'T HAVE TO REBUILD

zshelhamer
02-24-2012, 08:38 AM
I'm okay with Hampton coming back as long as he restructures his contract. He provides depth and will be able to help teach whoever we pick up as his replacement (most likely rookie).

However, if we are going to pay him his full salary, that's another story.

SteelerFanInATL
02-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Hampton is washed...I cant believe they will pay that kind of money to a player half of what he was...I'll take McClendon at at 1/4 of the price and a fa signing.

The draft is said to be deep with DT this year. You can bet we will draft one early
and start to groom him for the future.

TRH
02-24-2012, 09:40 AM

+ 1

We seem to be sticking with the older guys longer than many teams. Instead of visiting the draft festivities, maybe we can just head over to a couple local nursing homes and grab a couple old guys to complete the team.

Kanata-Steeler
02-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Hampton? wtf?. ok well.
Ward's sacrifice is well worth it now, He's gotta go, as much a Ward is luved and respected, but we definitely need someone new, like him.
Ben is not gonna be "allowed" any more major injuries.. :)
Get rid of Leftwich, Dixon. If Batch stays fine (he's a good backup and knows our stuff), if not, then fine, just grab a very young/hopefull/cheap 2ndary QB as a backup and maybe even future replacement for Ben. ?

Put all those additional savings, and elsewhere, into building an Iron "O"-Line. We're gonna need it.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Great a 8million fat blob coming off of an ACL will anchor, literaaly the middle.

Got to love loyalty, than when he does something in Preseason or later, like with Smith the team and the cap pays the price for money spent foolishly. How many times do they need to git bit?
Hampton won;t get signed elsewhere, they better be getting a discount from him.

Ward just has to go, I'm not even sold on Vet Min anymore with him.

steeltheone
02-24-2012, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE=zshelhamer;999806]I'm okay with Hampton coming back as long as he restructures his contract. He provides depth and will be able to help teach whoever we pick up as his replacement (most likely rookie).

However, if we are going to pay him his full salary, that's another story.[/QUOTE

I would be ok with 1.5 his ...7 mill is just nuts ,,,,he is a two down lineman if that.

Mclendon makes 405,000 the difference in play from 7 mill to 405 needs to be substantial, and its not!

We don't need casey as a player teacher. Thats what they pay Mitchell for.

Fire Arians
02-24-2012, 12:26 PM
hampton isn't worth 8 million. but we're kinda stuck with him because we don't have anyone ready to start at NT. lebeau isn't going to start a rookie either, even if it's a 1st rounder

steeltheone
02-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Mclendon did just fine! 8 mill is crazy...

Curtain_of_Steel
02-24-2012, 01:26 PM
I agree, I thought Mclendon played fine, and he played more than fine at 405k. We can draft a NT in the 2nd round or later I'm sure.

Fire Arians
02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Mclendon did just fine! 8 mill is crazy...

i agree he did fine and 8 mil for hampton is just robbery, but mclendon is a little small for a 3-4 NT and they probably don't think he can handle the entire 16 game season. maybe they're wrong, but I'm just trying to see where they're coming from.

pete74
02-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Mclendon is way to small for a NT. i think he only weighs 280lbs. hell our ends are bigger. with him in 16 games teams will run all over us. Hampton isnt worth the money but we really dont have another option

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-24-2012, 03:12 PM
What is with all the $8million complaints?? $4 million is part of the signing bonus and will be on the cap hit if they keep him or release him now.

McClendon is an RFA too, so technically Hampton is the only NT on the roster. I think we see McClendon get a tender offer, Hampton plays his final season with the Steelers this year and hopefully we draft Dontari Poe or Ta'amu as the NT of the future.

stb_steeler
02-24-2012, 03:44 PM
hampton isn't worth 8 million. but we're kinda stuck with him because we don't have anyone ready to start at NT. lebeau isn't going to start a rookie either, even if it's a 1st rounder

Whats the difference, a new NT or the old one that cant even play a full 4 downs?

pete74
02-24-2012, 04:09 PM
What is with all the $8million complaints?? $4 million is part of the signing bonus and will be on the cap hit if they keep him or release him now.

McClendon is an RFA too, so technically Hampton is the only NT on the roster. I think we see McClendon get a tender offer, Hampton plays his final season with the Steelers this year and hopefully we draft Dontari Poe or Ta'amu as the NT of the future.

i agree

Ricco Suavez
02-24-2012, 04:14 PM
I trust the Front office to do whats right for the Steelers, but I am on record that I believe they would be best served in cutting ties with Hampton. Too much money for the return, cut and save a load to put elsewhere. This draft is deep in quality NTs. I also think we could cut Leftwich and Dixon and bring in either a 7th rd or undrafted QBs in the likes of Kellen Moore, Case Keenum, or my favorites Austin David of Southern MS, or Patrick Witt of Yale.

lloydwoodson
02-24-2012, 04:31 PM
I have no idea why people are down on Dixon. He needs a chance. I personally think him more capable than Batch or Leftwich. Dixon throws a nice ball and is smart and mobile. Now that he has 4 seasons under his belt you get rid of him and start all over? Makes no sense to me. This will probably be Hampton's last year... hope they win it for the Big Snack!

BKAnthem
02-24-2012, 05:22 PM
I have no idea why people are down on Dixon. He needs a chance. I personally think him more capable than Batch or Leftwich. Dixon throws a nice ball and is smart and mobile. Now that he has 4 seasons under his belt you get rid of him and start all over? Makes no sense to me. This will probably be Hampton's last year... hope they win it for the Big Snack!

Dixon's regression is why im not so high on our QB coach...and i'm glad he's not the OC

Kingmagyar
02-24-2012, 05:29 PM
As I said in a previous post.

The Steelers really love their vets don't they? They just don't want to believe they can draft a Nose Tackle or an Inside Linebacker and they can come in here and actually be good enough to play right away. This team is like a high school team where the freshman can't possibly play and the seniors never graduate.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Dixon's regression is why im not so high on our QB coach...and i'm glad he's not the OC

What regression?? The guy never got a chance to play. He wants out of the burgh and I don't blame Dixon.

Better off to go with guys that are resigned to being a backup, like Leftwich and Troy Smith.

Bayz101
02-24-2012, 06:00 PM
What regression?? The guy never got a chance to play. He wants out of the burgh and I don't blame Dixon.

Better off to go with guys that are resigned to being a backup, like Leftwich and Troy Smith.

Well, if your not the starting quarterback, your not going to get much time to play. Dixon still has hope's to be a starter, and with our Franchise quarterback already in place, he won't get that chance here. He's better off going to the Browns or Redskins. At least he'll get his chance to play. I honestly don't think his attitude will help him any, and his accuracy is average, if not bad, at best. I don't see him coming back.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Well, if your not the starting quarterback, your not going to get much time to play. Dixon still has hope's to be a starter, and with our Franchise quarterback already in place, he won't get that chance here. He's better off going to the Browns or Redskins. At least he'll get his chance to play. I honestly don't think his attitude will help him any, and his accuracy is average, if not bad, at best. I don't see him coming back.

I cant say anything about his accuracy, havent seen him play much. As for attitude, it isnt bad, he just wants a chance to compete for a job and the Charlie Batch legacy is terrible.

I think if he would have had a better chance in Denver last year than in Pittsburgh. Count on him leaving and not wanting to sign if he was shown a contract here. Ben and some journeyman is a decent recipe.

zcoop
02-24-2012, 07:47 PM
I cant say anything about his accuracy, havent seen him play much. As for attitude, it isnt bad, he just wants a chance to compete for a job and the Charlie Batch legacy is terrible.

I think if he would have had a better chance in Denver last year than in Pittsburgh. Count on him leaving and not wanting to sign if he was shown a contract here. Ben and some journeyman is a decent recipe.

You're right the guy just never got a chance to play, even when Ben was injured. Playing Batch ahead of him was the ultimate insult and I would want to get the hell on too if treated like that. Don't know what Mike's beef is with him but I think it cost us a couple of games last year.

Rick5895
02-25-2012, 05:00 AM

Exactly right on the money issue, there is also an injury settlement (that I believe counts against the cap) if they were to release him while he is still "laid up" with the ACL injury. May be no real savings in cutting him at this point.

Bayz101
02-25-2012, 05:34 AM
Batch is a great back-up, probably one of the best in the league. Dixon didn't get the second string job simply because the coaching staff didn't think he could do any better than Batch. I've watched Dixon pass, and it's not beautiful by any means. If he's expected to be a weapon in this offense we'd need to develop a run-first offense around him as a backup, and that simply won't happen.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Batch is a great back-up, probably one of the best in the league. Dixon didn't get the second string job simply because the coaching staff didn't think he could do any better than Batch. I've watched Dixon pass, and it's not beautiful by any means. If he's expected to be a weapon in this offense we'd need to develop a run-first offense around him as a backup, and that simply won't happen.

I disagree with the effectiveness of Batch any longer. I have seen hand grenades lobbed with greater velocity than a Charlie Batch pass.

Batch has knowledge and experience on his side and a noodle arm. I'd rather have Matt Leinart, Bruce Gradkowski, Mark Brunell, TJ Yates, Seneca Wallace, Derek Anderson, Byron Leftwich, Charlie Whitehurst, Donovan McNabb, Jake Delhomme and a cast of others as a backup instead of Batch

FrancoLambert
02-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Keep Leftwich? You have got to be kidding. He's made of glass and is SURE to be injured.
Keep Hampton? Too old and too fat to contribute. Keep him around to teach? Coaches are paid to do that and paid a lot less.
Let McClendon play full time, let's see if he's a possible answer at NT.
As said before, let's re-tool now to avoid the need to rebuild.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-25-2012, 11:25 AM
Keep Leftwich? You have got to be kidding. He's made of glass and is SURE to be injured.
Keep Hampton? Too old and too fat to contribute. Keep him around to teach? Coaches are paid to do that and paid a lot less.
Let McClendon play full time, let's see if he's a possible answer at NT.
As said before, let's re-tool now to avoid the need to rebuild.

So, you know for sure that Leftwich is guaranteed to be injured?? He is better than Batch and Troy Smith is adequate. Seriously....who really cares about the backup QB, because we aint winning a super bowl with any of them.

As for McClendon, you want to start a 290lb , one gap DT for 16 games at 3-4NT??? Not going to happen. More likely you will see a NT drafted, Hampton play his final year and McClendon on the roster as a guy that can spell at NT and DE.

Savings can be had and room made to sign Wallace with the release of Ward, Smith, Farrior or Foote.