PDA

View Full Version : The Speed Debate: Mike Wallace fastest?

Bayz101
02-26-2012, 03:01 AM
Found an old article/video from a couple years ago. Thought it was interesting that in all actuality, Ike Taylor may be the fastest player we have:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_635267.html

Now I understand this was 2009, but it's an interesting read and listen nonetheless. This is one of the most well known and respected trainers there is, and he's trained several great players, some of them considered the greatest and fastest of all time. That same guy says Taylor is the fastest player he's ever trained.

Taylor said in the interview that he fancied Mike Wallace. This was Mike's rookie season.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Well like you said, an old video. I'm not buying it not that he is faster than Wallace, and I doubt I would believe it than, as there were several artciles out about Wallaces speed if I recall.

Thomas didn't think Ike was that fast either. I believe there are some NEw videos of that laying around, lol

Curtain_of_Steel
02-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Where is the Haley vid? You dont post it on Sundays?LOL

60_MINUTES
02-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Well like you said, an old video. I'm not buying it not that he is faster than Wallace, and I doubt I would believe it than, as there were several artciles out about Wallaces speed if I recall.

Thomas didn't think Ike was that fast either. I believe there are some NEw videos of that laying around, lol

I dont think Taylor is the fastest now either but I did hear many people buzzing around including this trainer saying it back in the day... I do agree IKE may have been the fastest player the league has ever seen at in his early through mid 20s

tony hipchest
02-26-2012, 11:16 AM

so ike is STILL supposed to run a 4.24 after repeatedly spriniting for 3 hours?

nobody has ever had or ever will have that type of endurance. if anybody goes by that "new footage" they are to believe ryan mundy is faster than wallace. :nono:

Fire Arians
02-26-2012, 12:28 PM
wallace has very good straight line speed, but i think antonio brown is more dangerous in the open field tbh. sometimes quick is better than fast, big plays more often result from defenders missing rather than getting run past.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-26-2012, 12:36 PM
3 hours? I know it felt like he was chasing a WR that is much slower than him for 3 hours. But wasn't the WR sprinting for 3 hours too? If Ike was covering him for 3, than Thomas was running for 3 as well. Right?

Its like teams complaining, ohhh geez it was the rain that caused us to lose. Right, because the other team didnt have to play in the rain right, lol

DanRooney
02-26-2012, 08:39 PM
I saw Ike Taylor get outrun by 235 lb Demaryius Thomas over and over again just a few weeks ago. Just sayin'.

DanRooney
02-26-2012, 08:46 PM
I dont think Taylor is the fastest now either but I did hear many people buzzing around including this trainer saying it back in the day... I do agree IKE may have been the fastest player the league has ever seen at in his early through mid 20s

Darrell Green was. He was so fast he played until he was 42.

Pentheon
02-26-2012, 08:49 PM
I saw this video on youtube a long time ago, only one way to settle this, have a race :)

tony hipchest
02-26-2012, 10:34 PM
3 hours? I know it felt like he was chasing a WR that is much slower than him for 3 hours. But wasn't the WR sprinting for 3 hours too? If Ike was covering him for 3, than Thomas was running for 3 as well. Right?

wrong.

ike plays pretty much 100% of all defensive snaps (all year).

are you suggesting DT does the same on offense? with the broncos? with tebow at qb?

do you know who for a fact ike was covering on every single play? or do you just assume that he is suddenly slower than ryan mundy because that is what the final play of the season shows?

if you really think he is as slow as what he put on tape in that final play i will leave you with that belief and accept it as fact.

(not... but i will leave you with that.)

StainlessStill
02-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Come on people, stop arguing for the sake to argue. Ike Taylor is undoubtedly one of the fastest players on our team and it's documented via training camps and team assumptions of experiencing Ike as their teammate.

It's time to lay off Ike for his performance against Thomas in the WC game at Denver. For anybody thinking and wanting to compare how many snaps is played and how many starts a player has under their belt within a certain QB defines who a model-player is then that's as bogus as it comes.

According to some, Ike Taylor is now slow because Thomas got the best of him in one game, a game that proved fluky over and over again. Running a 4.2 or whatever an athlete's time in the 40 yard dash is hardly an entire body of work when it comes to overall speed and quickness in the NFL. Thousands of NFL prospects run a subpar 4.3, 4.4 speed. I've watched the combine today and most of these guys that aren't even considered run fast, very fast.

Still, just because Ike is fast doesn't mean he can't be beat in other area's and that's exactly what happened in Denver. Thomas is a big body and simply won the physical battle against Ike that day and it showed big time. Ike couldn't jam, he could'nt even hold his side of the turf and remain home because of Thomas's superior size and strength.

That last play in OT came down to who was going to make a play. Unfortunately, Thomas made a nice and quick inside step on Ike and after that, it was all angles. I believe taking the right angles in football is half of the battle and Ike was certainly in no position to take a bigger and stronger athlete down, hence the stiff arm.

Do I hold that against Ike? No. Do I think Ike's still the fastest athlete on this team? Absolutely.

DanRooney
02-27-2012, 02:27 AM
I don't even think it's close between Wallace and Ike on gameday. Wallace just looks so much faster on the field. I think he might be the fastest player in the league in pads.

Bayz101
02-27-2012, 02:45 AM
bW4X664GRt0

If he wouldn't have decided on the Olympics, he'd easily be the fastest 40 of all time. As for Ike: I'd listen to the trainer on this one. He's trained some of the fastest and greatest football players of all time and HE says Ike Taylor is the fastest he's ever trained. I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement. I'm not saying he's faster now, but if he was a receiver (God Forbid that), he could probably give Wallace a run for his money.

Bayz101
02-27-2012, 10:52 AM
"Mike's fast...He's so fast, he make's fast people look...not fast" :chuckle:

Kingmagyar
02-27-2012, 11:48 AM
He's so Fast, QBs can't consistently hit him on the deep ball. He needs to be a tad slower.

chitownpit
02-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Those of us that have keep track of training camp over the years know well
that every year somebody believes they can out run Ike. Last year Ike handed Mike Wallace
his ass in a bag. And im sure wallace will try again this year. Ike is in the top 3 fastest
guys in this league , no bullshit.

DanRooney
02-28-2012, 09:59 PM
that every year somebody believes they can out run Ike. Last year Ike handed Mike Wallace
his ass in a bag. And im sure wallace will try again this year. Ike is in the top 3 fastest

Video or it didn't happen

6RingsAndCounting
02-28-2012, 10:07 PM

Ike is just a freak athlete, speed, size, he's physical.. he just can't catch a cold. Yes he got his ass handed to him in the playoffs, but throw that game out the window and we'd be talking about how incredible of an athlete he is.