PDA

View Full Version : Right on the Nose

pete74
02-26-2012, 04:28 AM
INDIANAPOLIS – On the first day of the NFL Combine, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert reaffirmed that his coach, Mike Tomlin, will stick with the 3-4 defense, meaning nose tackle remains an important piece.
But Casey Hampton, who’ll turn 35 before the 2012 opener, was 12th on the defense last season in snaps per games played. So Colbert was asked if it’s still wise to draft a nose tackle in the first round.

“You can’t get to third down if you don’t stop them on first and second, so that’s important,” Colbert said. “Traditionally, anybody you take in the first round you like to be three-down players. But a nose tackle, chances are you’re not going to get him if you don’t take him high, if they’re worth anything.”

Colbert said this year’s pool of nose tackles is “a good group. It’s not as deep as a couple of the other positions, but there are enough. We’ll have opportunities to look at some in higher rounds.”

Here’s the rundown of the best of those nose tackles, or at least those who showed up Saturday at the Combine:

* Dontari Poe is a 6-4, 346-pound junior out of Memphis. He won’t turn 22 until August. He’s young and experts say he’s raw, and they wonder whether at his height he can be a true nose tackle.

“Well, most people see me as a 3-4 nose tackle, which is cool with me,” said Poe, who also played the 3 and 5 techniques at Memphis.

Poe also thought it was “cool” that he’s been compared at times to Casey Hampton.

“I’m pretty into football. I’ve followed him for a long time,” Poe said. “Once he gets his hands on you he kind of controls you. That’s probably what I admire most about him.”

Poe’s weight-room work ethic is well known. And one of his goals at the combine is to bench 225 pounds 40 times.

“I love the weight room,” he said. “I’m self-intrinsically motivated to do it.”

It shows. While Poe weighs 346 pounds, he doesn’t appear fat and will be an interesting player to watch during Sunday’s drills.

* Alameda Ta’amu, at 6-2½, 348, is a more natural nose tackle than Poe, but Ta’amu’s not as athletic. He also turns 22 in August but was a three-year starter (four-year letterman) at Washington and has better pedigree than Poe.

* Josh Chapman, 6-0, 316, was the Alabama nose tackle. He could go as high as the second round, but a torn ACL, which he played with throughout the second half of last season, will prohibit him from working out and could cost him in the draft. Chapman told reporters he’ll be running in a couple of weeks and expects to report to training camp on time.

* Mike Martin, 6-1½, 306, was more of a 4-3 nose tackle than a true 0-technique at Michigan, but his work ethic and motor are similar to that of Chris Hoke, a 305-pounder who lasted 10 years in the league.

Martin explained why he thinks he can play nose in a 3-4 at his size.

“Because of my leverage,” said the two-time Michigan state high school heavyweight wrestling champ.

“I love being called ‘small.’ I love it. I have a chip on my shoulder. I’ve been called ‘undersized’ my whole life when it comes to playing the position. My leverage and everything that goes into playing nose, I’m just really good at it

19ward86
02-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Love this. D line is way too important and aged...Needs to be addressed early.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-26-2012, 06:26 PM
How is the D line aged?? A couple #1 picks in Hood and Heyward, plus reserves in McClendon, Al Woods .....with Keisel a starter and Hampton the only question mark.

They are 1 pick away from one of the youngest D lines in NFL. I would be happy if we could land either Poe or Ta'amu to be the NT of the future.

tony hipchest
02-26-2012, 08:29 PM
How is the D line aged?? .

because the young and sprightly warren sapp (who still thinks he can start in this league) says so? :noidea:

chitownpit
02-26-2012, 10:58 PM
two of those guys will be around late 2nd round, chapman maybe 3rd,
Please take a guard that can dominate next year with that first pick, if wallace left
and we had two first round picks next year i still take a guard first pick, we must
address this ,ben cant be playing with broken bones every week

kan_t
02-27-2012, 06:04 AM
two of those guys will be around late 2nd round, chapman maybe 3rd,
Please take a guard that can dominate next year with that first pick, if wallace left
and we had two first round picks next year i still take a guard first pick, we must
address this ,ben cant be playing with broken bones every week
The only guard which can start and dominate immediately is DeCastro and he will be long gone when it's up to Steelers' turn. I will be happy if they draft Glenn but with a good combine I'm not sure he will be available either. So it's reasonable for the Steelers to address other needs like NT or ILB in the first round and pick a first round talent instead of over-draft a guard who is available in the second round.

pete74
02-27-2012, 09:27 AM
i doubt Poe will be around when we pick. after he worked out at the combine his stock is going thru the roof. 41 reps on the bench is impressive

Bayz101
02-27-2012, 09:33 AM
Actually, it's 44. Even better.

Kingmagyar
02-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Dontari Poe's combine results in a nutshell ....

WOW!

San Diego could snag him before us.

pancake
02-27-2012, 01:36 PM
I would like to get the Poe kid, but his stock is climbing...

pancake
02-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Dontari Poe's combine results in a nutshell ....

WOW!

San Diego could snag him before us.

He is now a top 20 pick. We get our NT in the 2nd round now unless someone else moves up.

tburhans
02-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Poe goes out and puts up 44 on the bench and runs a 4.98 40yd dash. The guy weighs 350 pounds!! This guy is a freak athlete, if we could land him im all for it, but after that display of athleticism he might be gone. And on another note Vontaze Burfict ran a 5.06 40yd dash. Very disappointing time when you compare his size to Poe's.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2012, 06:04 PM
He is now a top 20 pick. We get our NT in the 2nd round now unless someone else moves up.

OR, we trade down a few spots and still draft Ta'amu in the 1st. Pickup a spare 4th round pick and draft OG Osemele in the 2nd,
Mitchell Schwartz in the 3rd,
James-Michael Johnson LB and Kevin Koger TE in the 4th

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2012, 06:05 PM
Poe goes out and puts up 44 on the bench and runs a 4.98 40yd dash. The guy weighs 350 pounds!! This guy is a freak athlete, if we could land him im all for it, but after that display of athleticism he might be gone. And on another note Vontaze Burfict ran a 5.06 40yd dash. Very disappointing time when you compare his size to Poe's.

Yeah, Maurice Clarett thought Burfict ran a slow time. This should put an end to the talk of wanting him in the 1st round because "he's a beast". :doh:

tburhans
02-27-2012, 06:11 PM
I think Burfict is a good talent, he just hasnt matured yet. If he ends up with a veteran team with a no nonsense coaching staff he could develop into a solid player. He has shown flashes in his career of being an absolute monster, but hes also shown hes a hot head with late hits, unnecessary roughness penalties. I would be shocked if anybody drafted him before the mid to late 2nd round

pete74
02-27-2012, 06:41 PM
OR, we trade down a few spots and still draft Ta'amu in the 1st. Pickup a spare 4th round pick and draft OG Osemele in the 2nd,
Mitchell Schwartz in the 3rd,
James-Michael Johnson LB and Kevin Koger TE in the 4th

exactly what i was thinking. i can definatly see us trading down and grabbing Ta'amu in the 1st

Kingmagyar
02-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Ta'amu does not seem first round worthy to me. Hate to pass on Cordy Glenn or Donta Hightower for him. If they really wanted him could trade down out of the first into top 10 2nd round and still probably get him.

kan_t
02-28-2012, 06:42 AM
Ta'amu does not seem first round worthy to me. Hate to pass on Cordy Glenn or Donta Hightower for him. If they really wanted him could trade down out of the first into top 10 2nd round and still probably get him.

If Glenn or Hightower is available, I doubt they trade down. The question is that if all three are gone before the Steeler's pick, what they should do. In this case trading down may be the best option (unless DeCastro magically drops).

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2012, 09:49 AM
exactly what i was thinking. i can definatly see us trading down and grabbing Ta'amu in the 1st

The reason I say Ta'amu would be picked in the 1st, is that I doubt he gets past the Colts in the top of the 2nd. They will need a NT if Pagano has them switching to a 3-4 and after Poe, he is probably the only one that might be able to start next season.

Ta'amu is a top 50 talent, but I think he will go before the 40th pick.

tony hipchest
02-28-2012, 10:49 AM
I think Burfict is a good talent, he just hasnt matured yet. If he ends up with a veteran team with a no nonsense coaching staff he could develop into a solid player. He has shown flashes in his career of being an absolute monster, but hes also shown hes a hot head with late hits, unnecessary roughness penalties. I would be shocked if anybody drafted him before the mid to late 2nd round

so in other words the ravens will take him to be the heir appearant to ray lewis?

tburhans
02-28-2012, 12:02 PM
The last thing I want is to see burfict next to suggs and see them laying the wood to ben twice a year

SteelBlaze1
02-28-2012, 12:06 PM
ESPN Blog page:

By Jamison Hensley

Memphis defensive tackle Dontari Poe is the perfect fit for the Pittsburgh Steelers, who need to find the heir apparent to nose tackle Casey Hampton. Most mock drafts agreed, linking Poe to the Steelers' 24th overall pick in the first round.

But Poe won't be there when the Steelers are picking at that point. Not after his "epic" showing at the NFL combine.

Poe's numbers produced at the combine compare favorably to the ones recorded by Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata. Even though Ngata was a more polished player coming out of college, Poe is projected to go in the middle of the first round (Ngata was taken 12th overall).

Everyone knew Poe was strong. He backed that up when he had 44 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press -- which was 16 above the average for defensive tackles over the past four combines. What really stood out was Poe's speed. He ran a jaw-dropping official time of 4.98 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

You got the feeling that Poe would enjoy getting drafted by the Steelers. He has definitely followed Hampton's career.

"He's aggressive. He's one of the more aggressive defensive tackles this league has seen," Poe said at the combine. "His hand strength. Once he gets his hands on you, he kind of controls you. That's probably what I admire most about him."

Luckily for the Steelers, this is a deep draft for nose tackles. BYU's Hebron Fangupo, Washington's Alameda Ta'amu (who had the third-slowest 40 time among defensive tackles) and Alabama's Josh Chapman are expected to be taken from the second to fourth rounds.

Fire Arians
02-28-2012, 12:44 PM
poe will definitely be gone before 24. i know workouts aren't everything, but this guy has almost everything you're looking for in a 3-4NT. Add in the fact he's shown enough speed to not only be limited to NT, and that more teams than in previous years are adopting the 3-4, it'd be better to look elsewhere because some team will take him.

on the bright side, if he's selected by a team that would have taken cordy glenn or hightower instead, they may drop to us. If the rumors are true and we can get jared gaither on our team, we could consider other options like mark barron also.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Hemsley is a clown. Depending on moves in free agency, Denver, Chargers, Colts will also need NT prospect. I dont know if waiting till the 4th round is going to be an optionl.

kan_t
02-28-2012, 07:19 PM
The last thing I want is to see burfict next to suggs and see them laying the wood to ben twice a year

Solution: upgrade the OL

fujirama24
02-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Now that the combine is over. I believe Poe vaulted himself into the mid first round and as of now is out of the steelers reach. He could go as high as 16 to the jets and I don't think he makes it past 19 chargers pick.

pete74
02-29-2012, 03:59 AM
in all honesty i think Ta'amu is the better fit for us. yes Poe had a very, very strong combine but his tape dosnt show that. i just watched alot of tape on him and was surprised how he played. i expected him to be dominant but he really wasnt. maybe his heart isnt in it or something because with his size, speed and strength he should dominate any offensive lineman

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Yeah Pete, and I dont know if Ta'amu moved himself up or down in the combine. Lets hope the Steelers can do some magic and get Hightower and Ta'amu.

pete74
02-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Yeah Pete, and I dont know if Ta'amu moved himself up or down in the combine. Lets hope the Steelers can do some magic and get Hightower and Ta'amu.

i would love that

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2012, 05:06 PM
in all honesty i think Ta'amu is the better fit for us. yes Poe had a very, very strong combine but his tape dosnt show that. i just watched alot of tape on him and was surprised how he played. i expected him to be dominant but he really wasnt. maybe his heart isnt in it or something because with his size, speed and strength he should dominate any offensive lineman
and what do you see from Ta'amu's tape ? last year everyone had him pegged as the top nose tackle prospect for this year. expected bigger things out of him but he never delivered. poe passed him even before the combine. to me that suggest that Ta'amu's tape is less than impressive. "inconsistent" is the label i've seen put on him after the senior bowl. he was a non factor in the bowl game verse the powerhouse known as ... baylor ... who gashed washingtons Dline for over 300 rushing yards.
both apparently need to be coached up and their technique refined . poe obviously is the more athletic of the two, so i'd put my money on poe. i think he offers more to work with. they could even line his big ass up at DE like the rats do with ngnata.

PhantomJB93
03-01-2012, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't say Poe is a sure fire top-15. Last year this same thing happened with Phil Taylor (also the only 1st round NT) and he still fell to the Browns at 21. I think a couple weeks from now after the combine hype has settled teams will go back to the tape again and Poe, while his stock improved, will go back to being a top 25 pick rather than 15-20

The only teams above us that run a 3-4 are the Cardinals, Chiefs, Cowboys, and Jets, which works in our favor as well. Cardinals and Chiefs pick too early to take Poe, the Cowboys don't need a NT, so if he makes it past the Jets I could easily see him fall to us.

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2012, 05:58 PM
your assuming that only 3-4 teams would have an interest.

Kingmagyar
03-02-2012, 02:44 AM
your assuming that only 3-4 teams would have an interest.

Yes I remember in years past where I was dumbfounded that a NT would be drafted by a 4-3 team. But it worked and they became a DT.

Steve Wyche of NFL network suggests crazily I might add that Carolina will pick him 9th overall.

Heinz Hitman
03-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Everybody is on the Poe bandwagon after the combine. No way we even sniff him in the draft. He could go as high as 9 and probably will go right around there. I am ok with Glenn, DeCastro, or Hightower in the 1st for us. Then try to get Ta'amu or Jean Baptiste later on.