PDA

View Full Version : Look for Steelers to target Jared Gaither

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2012, 11:08 AM
I'm not a big fan of following blogs, but I do trust and respect Tony Pauline over at TFY draft and what he contributes on CNNSI. Saw this below post and was a bit interested. I like it if the move happens.

- Look for the Pittsburgh Steelers to make a move for free agent tackle Jared Gaither.
http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/

Kingmagyar
02-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Why would they do that when they have a young 2nd round pick ready to play Left Tackle and Willie Colon who just restructured a 5 million dollar a year deal? If a player restructures it's a sure sign the team expects him to stay for a few more years.

Would we sign Jared Gaither as a backup? Not sure about his playing status good or bad? 5 starts in the past 2 years. Maybe he would be our backup.

MDSteel15
02-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Because Gaither is a left tackle and that young 2nd rounder isn't ready or they don't think he can handle it! And he proved last year that the back is fine..

Fire Arians
02-27-2012, 01:12 PM
we need more depth at tackle since starks isn't going to be back. it's not a bad move.

pete74
02-27-2012, 01:35 PM
i would love to see Jared Gaither as our LT, Gilbert as our RT and Colon as LG

Kingmagyar
02-27-2012, 01:38 PM
The guy played in 15 games and only started 5 of them. If your saying let's bring him in for under 2 million and let him fight for a job or be a backup then let's hope we can do it because we do need that kind of depth. I think if teams could pick between him and Gilbert most all would take Gilbert though. One thing for sure is he better be cheap or no chance he comes here.

Then Kansas City head coach Todd Haley cut Gaither after he had a false-start penalty when he came in for Albert against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Haley must love the guy.

On the good side

Gaither went on to lock down the left tackle spot for the Chargers for the remainder of the season. In the five games that he played, he didn’t allow a single sack or knockdown, and allowed just three total pressures

Jared Gaither will be the most overlooked NFL free agent this offseason. Fortunately for the San Diego Chargers, that means they will likely be able to re-sign him for next to nothing. Maybe the Steelers beat them to it. Maybe not.

kan_t
02-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Worth a shot. I doubt Gilbert will be a better LT than a healthy Gaither.

PhantomJB93
02-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Gaither would be awesome, BUT we just barely made enough room to potentially sign Wallace, and Gaither is not going to come particularly cheap after how awesome he was down the stretch for the Chargers. Just seems like a luxury to me. If Colbert can sign both it would be great. I just hope in this case we would try Colon at guard rather than keep him at tackle and waste Gilbert on the bench.

(BTW I see Gaither as a starting LT, I see some of you see him as a baclkup or depth, on this line he would NOT be a backup)

truesteelerfan
02-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Don't know anything about the guy, but he's gotta be a better back up then Scott.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Gaither might not be as expensive as many think. Maybe Todd Haley liked what he saw while Gaither was in KC. Either way I think he is better than Starks, Essex, Jon Scott........so why not take a shot at him if you can.

tanda10506
02-27-2012, 04:40 PM
I think Gilbert will turn out pretty good, not sure why a lot of us here dont think so. I think cutting Starks would be stupid, we would have to pay him an injury settlement, his contract is cheap, and the o line sucked without him. We need to keep Starks and look for a guard.

MDSteel15
02-27-2012, 04:40 PM
If they go after Gaither it will not be to back up anybody on our line!

ricardisimo
02-27-2012, 05:14 PM
I think Gilbert will turn out pretty good, not sure why a lot of us here dont think so. I think cutting Starks would be stupid, we would have to pay him an injury settlement, his contract is cheap, and the o line sucked without him. We need to keep Starks and look for a guard.
Not sure it matters as far as cutting him or keeping him. Doubtful Starks would be able to play this year anyway, right? Injury settlement might actually be cheaper than his year's salary.

tony hipchest
02-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Not sure it matters as far as cutting him or keeping him. Doubtful Starks would be able to play this year anyway, right? Injury settlement might actually be cheaper than his year's salary.

starks is a free agent. remember he was cut last year and then signed a 1 year deal for vet min.

ricardisimo
02-27-2012, 05:18 PM
starks is a free agent. remember he was cut last year and then signed a 1 year deal for vet min.
That's right! He's injured and he's not signed... Let's hold onto him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2012, 07:08 PM
That's right! He's injured and he's not signed... Let's hold onto him.

Exactly!! Starks is gone. Essex hopefully too. Kemo, quite possible, but dont count on it. Jon Scott likely re-signed.

So I am saying, if we said bye to Starks, Essex, Scott...........why not bring Gaither on if a contract is reasonable?? Unless we are averse to having too many athletic linemen with starting LT experience on the team??

BKAnthem
02-27-2012, 07:22 PM
If Gaither signs he is automatically better than anyone on that line not named Pouncey, and considering what we've all witnessed tha last 2, maybe 3 seasons....how could he not be? If his back is sound he's starting, on the Left or Right

Gaither-Glenn-Pouncey-Colon-Gilbert

Not to Bad...

ricardisimo
02-27-2012, 10:10 PM
It sounded to me like Gilbert was a lock for LT. Assuming he goes through the right sort of maturation process, I see no reason not to move him there. Gaither would be fine on the right, don't you think?

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2012, 10:54 PM
It sounded to me like Gilbert was a lock for LT. Assuming he goes through the right sort of maturation process, I see no reason not to move him there. Gaither would be fine on the right, don't you think?

I think either can play either side. I would not have a problem putting Gilbert on the RT side one more year though if Gaither was fine.

Again, this is just something that it sounds like Pauline or somebody else on staff heard at the Combine that the Steelers were considering Gaither. Nothing happening that we know of for sure.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Gaither-Glenn-Pouncey-Colon-Gilbert

Not to Bad...

If Glenn can get good pad level and play guard, that would be a solid way to put 5 good linemen on the field at one time.

Definately would be a power man run blocking line and 5 guys with decent pass protection skills. Git er done.

MasterOfPuppets
02-27-2012, 11:49 PM
as someone has already pointed out, haley CUT gaither after 1 penalty, one play. does anyone seriously think gaither would want come and play under haley ?
also why would the chargers not be interested in resigning him ? are the steelers in a position to out bid SD ? would gaither prefer a fridged pittsburgh winter over sunny southern california ?

kan_t
02-28-2012, 01:13 AM
as someone has already pointed out, haley CUT gaither after 1 penalty, one play. does anyone seriously think gaither would want come and play under haley ?
also why would the chargers not be interested in resigning him ? are the steelers in a position to out bid SD ? would gaither prefer a fridged pittsburgh winter over sunny southern california ?

He would prefer the Steelers if he wants to win.

Kingmagyar
02-28-2012, 06:43 AM
He would prefer the Steelers if he wants to win.

I wouldn't be so sure the Chargers are the team that will be better in 2012. The Steelers play a very tough NFC East next year along with now two tough division foes.

Throw in the possible loss of Wallace, Injury problems with Emanuel Sanders, no guarantee at left guard, or left tackle, no suitable backups at tackle yet on the roster, a potential new nose tackle and inside linebacker, a new corner opposite Ike, no Mendenhall, and a new offensive coordinator that is known to cause friction with star players. This team isn't guaranteed anything this year.

Kingmagyar
02-28-2012, 06:46 AM
One thing for sure don't underestimate Essex. The guy can play every position on the line and filled in at center more then adequately as well. Being you can only dress so many on gameday Essex is the quintessential backup O lineman.

Whodis
02-28-2012, 07:11 AM
he seems to be "the standard" at O-line.... bring him in

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2012, 10:34 AM
also why would the chargers not be interested in resigning him ? are the steelers in a position to out bid SD ? would gaither prefer a fridged pittsburgh winter over sunny southern california ? I thought Haley was fired by that game, but you are correct. Again, this is just a rumor from the combine and I would not be surprised if it happens. Maybe it wasnt Haley that cut him, maybe Pioli??

One thing for sure don't underestimate Essex. The guy can play every position on the line and filled in at center more then adequately as well. Being you can only dress so many on gameday Essex is the quintessential backup O lineman.

Essex was a 6th round talent that the Steelers reached and drafted in the 3rd round. He's proven that he can play a few positions, but none of them well enough to be a starter on merit. Time to move on.

Steeldude
02-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Didn't Gaither have back problems?

60_MINUTES
02-29-2012, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't be so sure the Chargers are the team that will be better in 2012. The Steelers play a very tough NFC East next year along with now two tough division foes.

Throw in the possible loss of Wallace, Injury problems with Emanuel Sanders, no guarantee at left guard, or left tackle, no suitable backups at tackle yet on the roster, a potential new nose tackle and inside linebacker, a new corner opposite Ike, no Mendenhall, and a new offensive coordinator that is known to cause friction with star players. This team isn't guaranteed anything this year.

So who do you pull for??? wow your suggesting the Chargers may be better then the Steelers... give me a break

If wallace leaves we will have our Oline and NT problem fixed in the first 3 picks of the draft.. if he doesnt then we have no problems at WR. You say a New Coord that can cause friction.. how about a new coord that makes us the top 5 O in the league because weve been good with the worst O coord in the NFL.. your whole post looks at neg points

We bring in a LT.. leave Gilbert at RT where he was solid as can be last year.. we move Wilie to gurad and draft one in the draft gives us Jared Gaither Colon pouncey rookie and Gilbert.. with Foster and Doug along with your guy essex still around for depth... Wow now we have the most solid line weve had in 5 years or so... Wallace stays and Brown is back. Sanders is healthy and we have the best WR core weve ever had... ole and by the way we are bringing back the number one D in football a little older but still the number one D in football just in case you forgot... one last point unless you were lost at sea this kid Cortez Allen might be our best CB on the roster this year... look for him to start opp of IKE and play at a probowl level

FrancoLambert
03-01-2012, 05:35 AM

That's just the problem.

Aside from Pouncey, our O-line is nothing more than a group of "quintessential backups."

Time to improve that unit so that another 12-4 season means more than this past one.

:tt04: :tt: :tt02: :tt03:

Kingmagyar
03-01-2012, 09:33 AM
So who do you pull for??? wow your suggesting the Chargers may be better then the Steelers... give me a break

If wallace leaves we will have our Oline and NT problem fixed in the first 3 picks of the draft.. if he doesnt then we have no problems at WR. You say a New Coord that can cause friction.. how about a new coord that makes us the top 5 O in the league because weve been good with the worst O coord in the NFL.. your whole post looks at neg points

We bring in a LT.. leave Gilbert at RT where he was solid as can be last year.. we move Wilie to gurad and draft one in the draft gives us Jared Gaither Colon pouncey rookie and Gilbert.. with Foster and Doug along with your guy essex still around for depth... Wow now we have the most solid line weve had in 5 years or so... Wallace stays and Brown is back. Sanders is healthy and we have the best WR core weve ever had... ole and by the way we are bringing back the number one D in football a little older but still the number one D in football just in case you forgot... one last point unless you were lost at sea this kid Cortez Allen might be our best CB on the roster this year... look for him to start opp of IKE and play at a probowl level

I don't pull for the Chargers but I am somewhat of a realist that likes to look at the negative side of things before I look at the positive side and believe me I do look at the positive side (just look at my draft posts). Most of my posts though will be on the negative side but in a kind of warning we shouldn't take anything for granted kind of way, but in no way do I doubt the team's ability to address problems and solve them. I'm very optimistic about this year's draft solving a multitude of problems and Todd Haley succeeding in creating a better offense..

Now you kind of insulted me by suggesting "In case I forgot we were the #1 defense last year" and I may have been lost at sea not realizing we have the next Darrell Revis on the team in Cortez Allen, but last year's defense was last year's defense and that was a defense that went against some of the worst QBs and teams in the history of the league and lost to what is statistically the worst QB of all Tebow. I never saw Cortez Allen after the New England game where he was used in a very simple to understand one on one situation against a tight end. The signs are positive for him and his future and I think he will be the starter next year too, but a pro bowl level when he hasn't even started a game yet or proven he can? I'm not out to sea but I do see, and I don't see it yet. I like your optimism however I strongly suggest you should sell everything you have and put it down on the Steelers winning the super bowl next year. With your optimism how can you lose? Do it.

Set-Man
03-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Gaither won't be targeted in my opinion.
If they want to bolster the OL, get a guard in the first round.
Gilbert-Rookie Guard-Pouncey-Foster-Colon

They can make it even better by getting another FA RT or rookie RT.

60_MINUTES
03-01-2012, 01:27 PM
I don't pull for the Chargers but I am somewhat of a realist that likes to look at the negative side of things before I look at the positive side and believe me I do look at the positive side (just look at my draft posts). Most of my posts though will be on the negative side but in a kind of warning we shouldn't take anything for granted kind of way, but in no way do I doubt the team's ability to address problems and solve them. I'm very optimistic about this year's draft solving a multitude of problems and Todd Haley succeeding in creating a better offense..

Now you kind of insulted me by suggesting "In case I forgot we were the #1 defense last year" and I may have been lost at sea not realizing we have the next Darrell Revis on the team in Cortez Allen, but last year's defense was last year's defense and that was a defense that went against some of the worst QBs and teams in the history of the league and lost to what is statistically the worst QB of all Tebow. I never saw Cortez Allen after the New England game where he was used in a very simple to understand one on one situation against a tight end. The signs are positive for him and his future and I think he will be the starter next year too, but a pro bowl level when he hasn't even started a game yet or proven he can? I'm not out to sea but I do see, and I don't see it yet. I like your optimism however I strongly suggest you should sell everything you have and put it down on the Steelers winning the super bowl next year. With your optimism how can you lose?

Do it.Last years D is last years D andn we went against some average teams last year.....

Okay I will give you that... Far as Allen I see him as I did Troy... No No No not a football GOD like Troy but as Im sure you remember Troy was average at best his rookie year... I look for Allen to explode on the scene this year... IMO of course but me and all the optimism agrees it willl happen...

by the way how do you think I made all my millions to begin with??? yep I already did what you suggested in 05-06 and 08-09