PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace vs. Yancy Thigpen

jtbsteeler
02-28-2012, 02:28 AM
Who was better and why? It seems that some people are trying to rewrite history in here. For the people able to, please go back and look at the tape. I have. I clearly don't see how anyone can say Mike Wallace(right now) is better than the Yancy Thigpen of '94-'97.

Mike Wallace is better than Yancy Thigpen, the 2x ALL PRO? I have to hold back the "deep from my gut" laugh when I say that. Like I said before. No offense, but some people go to great lengths to save face and win an argument. On this one you should cut bait and try again.

:tt03::tt03:

ricardisimo
02-28-2012, 02:43 AM
Here you go... :rolleyes: Oh, and I almost forgot: whatever. Glad to see you're losing so much sleep over this.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-28-2012, 08:26 AM
The tape? This is a complete waste of time to do a comparsion. But I"m bored waiting for the market to open.

Wallaces stats blow him away, plus one all pro in 3 years

Wallaces: in only 3 years
171 receptions, 3206 yard, 24 td's in reg season. Add on another 144 yards rushing.

Thigpens: 6 years with the Steelers, plus 2 all pro in career and probably over 6-7 years to get the 2.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/273/yancey-thigpen
6 years to get 3600 yards and 21 yards.
4 yards rushing in career

If you took Thigpens best 3 years over his entire career he only squeaks by Wallce in yardage and is still shot in TD's. YPC lower throughout Thigpens carreer.

Wallaces stats:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12601/mike-wallace

Bayz101
02-28-2012, 08:49 AM
:doh:

Curtain_of_Steel
02-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Bayz, where is the video? I live for that, lol

BKAnthem
02-28-2012, 09:41 AM
I think 95 and 97 were thigpens best seasons out of his whole career? I liked the Dude but he was no game breaker like Wallace

Bayz101
02-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Bayz, where is the video? I live for that, lol

http://picchore.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/todd-haley-animated-gif.gif

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110703231643/fallout/images/8/8a/Troll-face1.jpg

Curtain_of_Steel
02-28-2012, 10:02 AM
Exactly he had 2 good years and that was it. Took him 3 years to get going. Wallace came in and contributed right out of the gate.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Was Thigpen a better route runner? Yes, but when you run slower its easier to do the footwork. Did Thigpen have better hands?? Yes, but not by much.

Thigpen was not as good as Steve Largent and I bet if you ask any GM if they want a possession receiver like Steve Largent of a speedster like Mike Wallace.......32 out of 32 take Wallace.

tony hipchest
02-28-2012, 11:24 AM
The tape? This is a complete waste of time to do a comparsion. But I"m bored waiting for the market to open.

171 receptions, 3206 yard, 24 td's in reg season. Add on another 144 yards rushing.

Thigpens: 6 years with the Steelers, plus 2 all pro in career and probably over 6-7 years to get the 2.

If you took Thigpens best 3 years over his entire career he only squeaks by Wallce in yardage and is still shot in TD's. YPC lower throughout Thigpens carreer.

Wallaces stats:

winner!

i'd also like to add that thigpen was a part of some pretty phenominal offenses that werent run by a nimrod moron.

while bruce is enjoying "retirement" chan gailey is still head coaching in the NFL. ron erhardt had sb coordinating pedigree under the parcells coaching tree.

wasnt 94 the year barry foster lead the afc (and damn near the league) w/1600+ yds?

then we had bam morris and e. pegram.

o'donnell didnt take too many sacks and still has one of the historically best pass/interception ratios.

thigpen, charles johnson, andrae hastings, earne mills, courtney hawkins and kordell stewart... who the hell was one to cover?

just a shame eric green never fully reached his amazing potential or our offense woulda been completely deadly. thigpen was good, but would be no more than the #3 option in arians offense. wallace woulda been great on those teams and the sure fire #1.

also when one thinks of all pro wr's in the mid 90's they think of rice and irvin moreso than thigpen. whats his name for the bengals who was alongside darnay scott was better. so good i cant even remember his name off hand. :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
02-28-2012, 11:37 AM
KBAMYRoZPnM

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2012, 11:49 AM
KBAMYRoZPnM

O Donnell was looking for Larry Brown. Next time, better send it Fedex to Thigpen. 2-time pro bowl WR.

jtbsteeler
02-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Was Thigpen a better route runner? Yes, but when you run slower its easier to do the footwork. Did Thigpen have better hands?? Yes, but not by much.

Thigpen was not as good as Steve Largent and I bet if you ask any GM if they want a possession receiver like Steve Largent of a speedster like Mike Wallace.......32 out of 32 take Wallace.

He was more clutch than Wallace as well. In the '97 season the Steelers went up to NE and were on the verge of losing when Henry picked that pass off and Kordell hit Yancy in the endzone for an unbelievable TD catch. A similar "sliding" catch that Wallace dropped against Denver. The one in Denver was a lollipop...Earlier in the NE game Thigpen caught a pass on the sideline that was as tough a catch as ever seen by a Steeler WR.

Why bring Largent into this? You said Thigpen had better hands and ran better routes. I say he was by far a more clutch WR. When we needed a catch he went out and got it. Mike Wallace has disappeared in two straight seasons. Make all the excuses you want. So that leaves Wallace leading in one catagory. Go routes...

Again, the argument was WR's production when they LEFT the Steelers. Not years later. Wallace has potential, but even his coach doesn't think he's an ALL-AROUND WR. I take his word over anyone in here.

Mike "Go route" Wallace

tony hipchest
02-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Mike "Go route" Wallace

nS8gVqR_dy4&feature=related

this play was about as clutch as it gets.

stb_steeler
02-28-2012, 01:50 PM

Wallaces stats:

Pays to do the homework first doesnt it....

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-28-2012, 02:01 PM
Why bring Largent into this? You said Thigpen had better hands and ran better routes. I say he was by far a more clutch WR.

Mike "Go route" Wallace

Because Largent is an even better route runner than Thigpen and I still would take Mike Wallace over Largent any day of the week.

When you can run away from guys, they give you more space underneath. Wallace isnt afraid to go over the middle either. Thigpen cant hold Hines Ward's jock, but they are the same kind of player. Neither can compare to Wallace at this point in the career.

I honestly think Wallace wasnt used as much on shorter routes as both Brown and Sanders arent the deep threat he is.

Anyways, I am done with this thread. The next thing we will be comparing is Barry Foster to Jerome Bettis.

steeltheone
02-28-2012, 08:28 PM
O Donnell was looking for Larry Brown. Next time, better send it Fedex to Thigpen. 2-time pro bowl WR.

Remember this like it was yesterday....

Trying to compare recievers is tough....If Yancy had BR7 his stats would have been much better.

If Wallace had O'Donnel and stewart start subtracting.

StainlessStill
02-28-2012, 08:32 PM
KBAMYRoZPnM

Why do I get sick seeing this video? I remember very little when this happened. Granted, I was only around 6 years old, but that just makes me SICK.:banging: The right to go on and beat one of the best teams in the league at Lambeau and one of our most prized and reliable wideout drops the game winning T.D as turnover on downs.

tony hipchest
02-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Why do I get sick seeing this video? I remember very little when this happened. Granted, I was only around 6 years old, but that just makes me SICK.:banging: The right to go on and beat one of the best teams in the league at Lambeau and one of our most prized and reliable wideout drops the game winning T.D as turnover on downs.i think we were on like a 5 or 7 game winning streak and that was the final play to end the regular season (and i believe had no effect on the playoff seedings). madden popped a boner that would last 16 years. we went on to the superbowl and dallas beat green bay in the champ game. had it been a rematch we woulda spanked them on a neutral field. at the time, GB was still 2nd fiddle to SF and dallas, while the bills had passed the afc torch onto the steelers. it was the packers looking up to us as one of the best teams in the nfl, but that would not stop the blood from flowing generously to maddens faverection.

Bayz101
02-28-2012, 09:01 PM
nS8gVqR_dy4&feature=related

this play was about as clutch as it gets.

The throw was about as beautiful as it get's as well.

Bayz101
02-28-2012, 09:03 PM
KBAMYRoZPnM

Talk about choke...

Bayz101
02-28-2012, 09:05 PM

He was staring down Thigpen the entire time, and then delivered a pass right into his hands.

Steel Peon
02-28-2012, 09:29 PM
*Insert 2 cents*

As much as I liked O'Donnell, there can be no argument that Big Ben is not 2x better than Neil. That being said, it was not Ben that was throwing the ball to Yancy, and therefore the comparison is not fair.

However, Ben WAS throwing to Plaxico in '04, albeit Ben's rookie season, so that comparison is much more fair. And just for the record, I didn't enjoy seeing him go, but watching Hines leave instead of Plax would not have been acceptable for me, so I faced the reality that we had too much talent on defense to pay for to even think about keeping Plax.

If Wallace goes, I will feel mostly the same, only slightly more disappointed. If we keep Wallace, this may signal a small departure from spending the majority of our cap money on defense, and a sign of the times in the NFL, where offense has now taken the driver's seat. I'm not saying the Steelers should totally flip the script and spend more on offense than defense, just maybe narrow the gap a little.

steeltheone
02-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Talk about choke...

Lets be clear on one thing.....This game meant zero to the Steelers win or lose....In todays NFL Thigpen would not even have been playing in a meaningless game.

Bayz101
02-29-2012, 01:38 AM
Lets be clear on one thing.....This game meant zero to the Steelers win or lose....In todays NFL Thigpen would not even have been playing in a meaningless game.

A touchdown would have sealed up the division title and a week at home. Not sure what your definition of "zero" is, but I that's something worth fighting for in my eyes. Anything that get's you closer to your ultimate goal is worth fighting for. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be trying at all. These guy's make more in one year than most of us will ever earn in our lifetime. If the division and a bye-week in the playoffs (one less game to play) is on the line, you damn well better get out their and give it all you got. If an injury happens, shit luck. Either way, it get's you closer to the big game. Get it done.

I'm not dogging Thigpen for dropping that because shit happens. But I do think their was something worth fighting for, and it wasn't a "win or lose" situation. The Steelers wanted that one badly because it would have greatly improved a path to the Super Bowl.

jtbsteeler
02-29-2012, 03:08 AM
That was a big drop by Yancy. I remember telling my friend that whoever we played in the playoffs that first game we would beat 50-10. We ended up beating Buffalo 42-20?(without looking it up).

It's good to go back and remember all of these classic moments. Something the Ravens don't have. One bowl and a history of failure. (for the raven fans peeking in here)

Ready for the draft...

steeltheone
02-29-2012, 08:21 AM
A touchdown would have sealed up the division title and a week at home. Not sure what your definition of "zero" is, but I that's something worth fighting for in my eyes. Anything that get's you closer to your ultimate goal is worth fighting for. If it wasn't, we wouldn't be trying at all. These guy's make more in one year than most of us will ever earn in our lifetime. If the division and a bye-week in the playoffs (one less game to play) is on the line, you damn well better get out their and give it all you got. If an injury happens, shit luck. Either way, it get's you closer to the big game. Get it done.

I'm not dogging Thigpen for dropping that because shit happens. But I do think their was something worth fighting for, and it wasn't a "win or lose" situation. The Steelers wanted that one badly because it would have greatly improved a path to the Super Bowl.

You need to check your info...We had 11 wins in 1995.... the second best team in our division had 7.

We had already clinched HOME divisional game versus unnamed opponent. The Chiefs had 13 wins to our 11 so they had already clinched Home field throughout no matter if the Steelers had WON OR LOST against Green By.

The Steelers had the better Conference record over Buffalo in the East so we were number 2 seed Win or lose against Green Bay.

The Game meant nothing.

zcoop
02-29-2012, 08:03 PM
You need to check your info...We had 11 wins in 1995.... the second best team in our division had 7.

We had already clinched HOME divisional game versus unnamed opponent. The Chiefs had 13 wins to our 11 so they had already clinched Home field throughout no matter if the Steelers had WON OR LOST against Green By.

The Steelers had the better Conference record over Buffalo in the East so we were number 2 seed Win or lose against Green Bay.

The Game meant nothing.

This right here.

lipps83
02-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Anyways, I am done with this thread. The next thing we will be comparing is Barry Foster to Jerome Bettis.

Foster was the better back as far as ability goes. Stats don't tell the whole story.

Foster couldn't stay healthy and didn't have the heart that Bettis did.

Bo Jackson was the best back of all-time. Jim Brown is the only one that comes close to what Bo could do.

And yes, Yancey was better than Wallace.

Bayz101
02-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Yeah, you got me there. I confused the Packers record with ours. I think it was actually the Packers that needed the win to seal it. As for the drop: It's still a game-winning drop. You have to pull them in. Mike Wallace got a game winner early, and it was off of a beautiful Ben pass. Same goes with Yancy, only this time, it was an even better pass into a wide-open space.

RavenManiac
02-29-2012, 11:31 PM
There is a difference (pretty big difference) between "All-Pro" and "Pro-Bowler."

Thigpen made 2 Pro-Bowls, and he was 2nd-team All-Pro once.

Wallace has made one Pro-Bowl, and hasn't been All-Pro (yet).

That said, Wallace is the better player if comparing careers at this point. He has excelled right out of the gate, and his performance has been similar to Thigpen's best years. Passing has become easier since Thigpen's era, but Thigpen took many years to shine, whereas Wallace still has many prime years left. Wallace also has ridiculous speed, which really cannot be taught.