PDA

View Full Version : Craig Wofley punching Chuck Noll

tony hipchest
02-28-2012, 05:51 PM
its little nuggets like these that make craig wofleys blog one of the best steelers' follows on the net-

http://craigwolfley.com/2012/02/punching-chuck/

While i was watching some of the combine on TV, a.k.a. the underwear olympics, i couldnít help but do a little time traveling in my noggin, back to the first time i met Chuck Noll at Syracuse University. Chuck had come to Syracuse to scout Art Monk, our great WR and Bill Hurley, a record setting QB. While Chuck was primarily going there to see those guys, he wanted to see me as well.

You see, although they had some version of the combine going back in the spring of í80, i was so good i didnít need to go (thatís how you spin it to your kids when they ask why daddy wasnít invited to the combine). So Coach Noll had flown out to Syracuse for the impromptu workout sometime after the combine was over.

When my head coach at Syracuse University, Frank Maloney, had informed me that Chuck Noll was coming and wanted to see me workout, i was more than a little awed by it. Think about it, THE Chuck Noll his ownself, working one-on-one with me! Big stuff for the kid here, i will tell you.

As i slowly walked to the doors of Manley Field House in Syracuse with Chuck after the workout had concluded and despite his casualness about the inadvertent punch to the grill, i couldnít help but feel that i had eliminated one of my potential job opportunities. I remember that sinking feeling washing over me that if i was fortunate enough to get drafted, it sure wasnít gonna be in Pittsburgh.

I couldnít have been more wrong.

great story.

QCbeauBlak
02-28-2012, 07:54 PM
That was a great story.. I am younger so I didn't following the team in the 80's. But every time I hear a story like this, I think about how much I missed. You would never here a story of a head coach going to a particular school and doing an intimate one-on-one like that. Things are so organized and formal now that you wonder how players establish close relationships with their head coach. The names on the back of the jerseys are just so much bigger than the names on the front now.

stb_steeler
02-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Love hearing Woffy on the radio with Tunch an Hillgrove....

steeltheone
02-28-2012, 11:24 PM
3 of the best...In the booth and out!

4xSBChamps
02-29-2012, 02:58 PM
back when the team was lucky to get 500 people attend a practice at St. Vincent's (and hope to win 5 games a season), I saw Noll work one-on-one many times with players, giving definite & minute instructions personally to the players when I was a kid:
everything from forming a huddle, gaps between linemen, proper stance, carrying the ball, and tackling the ball-carrier, as-well-as his self-appointed role as 'Quarterback Coach'

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/ChuckNollatStVincents.jpg

you must remember that he graduated from college with a diploma as an educator, with hopes of being a teacher,
if that entire 'football-thing' didn't work-out