PDA

View Full Version : Steelers release ward

SteelCurtain5643
02-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Adam Shefter just tweeted it, very very sad to seem him go :(

60_MINUTES
02-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Adam Shefter just tweeted it, very very sad to seem him go :(

they have to release him.. they cannot redo his contract... unless he goes else where I still expect to sign him to the vet min

tony hipchest
02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
he will be released on friday.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-to-release-Hines-Ward/ba693de8-74b6-4435-b879-091e6766736a

“We had a conversation today with Hines Ward and informed him that we plan to release him of his contract prior to the start of the 2012 NFL calendar year,” Steelers President Art Rooney II told the team’s website, Steelers.com. “Hines has been an integral part of our success since we drafted him in 1998 and we will forever be grateful for what he has helped us achieve. He has meant so much to this organization, both on and off the field, and we appreciate his efforts over the past 14 years. Hines’ accomplishments are numerous, and he will always be thought of as one of the all-time great Steelers. We wish him nothing but the best.”

sounds like they have no plans of bringing him back.

Pentheon
02-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Yea just saw this on the local news and nfl.com

sad to hear but knew it was coming...gonna be weird without him on the team

one of the greatest steelers ever :tt04::tt02::tt::tt03:

ricardisimo
02-29-2012, 05:40 PM
A toast to Hines... :drink:

Thank you for the memories.

60_MINUTES
02-29-2012, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;1000475]he will be released on friday.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-to-release-Hines-Ward/ba693de8-74b6-4435-b879-091e6766736a

“We had a conversation today with Hines Ward and informed him that we plan to release him of his contract prior to the start of the 2012 NFL calendar year,” Steelers President Art Rooney II told the team’s website, Steelers.com. “Hines has been an integral part of our success since we drafted him in 1998 and we will forever be grateful for what he has helped us achieve. He has meant so much to this organization, both on and off the field, and we appreciate his efforts over the past 14 years. Hines’ accomplishments are numerous, and he will always be thought of as one of the all-time great Steelers. We wish him nothing but the best.”

sounds like they have no plans of bringing him back.[/QUOTE

No your right it doesnt appear they are gonna bring him back.. but lets hope if he does play maybe they end up bringing him back for vet min.. I cant stand the thought of seeing him on another team.. I know weve seen it in the past.. webby.. franco etc.. but I would hate to see it with Ward... I just dont know why we cant vet Min him and ask him to play some specail teams... I bet he would do it... you know we gonna have at least one guy on the WR staff that is a Arnez Battle kind of guy... I would take ward all day over a guy like Battle

scottish_steeler
02-29-2012, 05:52 PM
first post on here, i'm a steeler fan across the pond in scotland.

really sad to see hines go, he is one of the reasons i love american football, every play he always had a smile on his face, he bled blank and gold, its a sad day for steeler nation

however we have to look to the future and the up and coming wr's we have in pittsburgh and i believe they can bring home no.7!

:tt02::tt02::tt02::tt02:

ricardisimo
02-29-2012, 05:53 PM

really sad to see hines go, he is one of the reasons i love american football, every play he always had a smile on his face, he bled blank and gold, its a sad day for steeler nation

however we have to look to the future and the up and coming wr's we have in pittsburgh and i believe they can bring home no.7!

Welcome aboard. Thanks for posting. It's shaping up to be a very interesting off-season. We'll see what happens at WR.
:tt03:

60_MINUTES
02-29-2012, 05:58 PM

Welcome man and I agrree with everything you said... its very sad though...

EbonySteel86
02-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Sad day. One of my favorite Steelers of all time! :(

TRH
02-29-2012, 06:01 PM
i had a feeling this was coming. It's certainly not a popular move amongst fans area-wide and globally. The Steelers, i have a feeling would have re-signed him if this was a few years back. Its seeming that some things around are changing and we might not resist change so much.
Hate to see him go, but its time to move on.

I wonder if his drunk-driving incident played any role whatsoever.

55BaileyFan
02-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Sad day...BULLSHIT day.

http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/2012/02/goodbye-legend.html

StainlessStill
02-29-2012, 06:04 PM
I was bracing for this day. I knew it was coming like a freight train this year but nothing can prepare you. Sad day indeed. It literally is the end of an era. Ladies and Gentleman, if you witnessed Hines Ward's career in Pittsburgh, then you just saw one of the Steelers all-time greats.

My jersey's are all of Steelers legends. It'll now be Bradshaw, Franco, Lambert, Greene, Bettis and now Ward. Going to be very weird this upcoming season.

I wish Hines Ward nothing but the best wherever he plays. STEELER FOR LIFE.:tt04:

Buddha Bus
An extremely sad day in Steeler Nation as a Black and Gold legend is released. Ward is probably my all-time favorite Steeler player and his on-field exuberance and tenacity will be greatly missed by this fan. I really had hoped they could find some way to find room for him for one more go around, but the cap situation has not afforded us the luxury of keeping him on the team considering his production and position on the depth chart last season.

Thank you, Hines, for all you have done for this football team. You will be sorely missed, but never forgotten. :crying02:

ricardisimo
i had a feeling this was coming. It's certainly not a popular move amongst fans area-wide and globally. The Steelers, i have a feeling would have re-signed him if this was a few years back. Its seeming that some things around are changing and we might not resist change so much.
Hate to see him go, but its time to move on.

I wonder if his drunk-driving incident played any role whatsoever.
No. Wallace, Brown and Sander decided this. If Harrison didn't get cut for hitting the mother of his child, and Reed didn't get cut for beating up as paper towel dispenser, Hines is not getting cut for reckless driving (there was no DUI).

tony hipchest
02-29-2012, 06:05 PM
i know people wanna keep him for vet minimum, but the difference in pay between him and someone like victor cruz (or any 7th rd- rookie udfa) is about $400,000 which is huge when we are pinching the cap and trying to keep players like redman, wallace, etc...

Fire Arians
02-29-2012, 06:07 PM
i knew this was coming, but I still can't help to be sad. He's my favorite player of all time.

Rick5895
02-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Very sad when a team is forced release a great , longstanding player because of cap problems. I have always thought that teams should be able to keep players they drafted who have spent 10 years or more with the original team and that salary be free and clear of the cap.

I hate seeing this happen.

Thanks for all the memories Hines.

EbonySteel86
02-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Jeeeeez, I feel like I just broke up with my girlfriend. I loved that dude. Everybody should wear his jersey our first home game. I got Raven fans calling me and their sad to see him go. Hines was what being a Pittsburgh Steeler is all about. A TRUE LEGEND! Godspeed Hines, Steeler Nation loves you man!

Buddha Bus
02-29-2012, 06:33 PM
I got Raven fans calling me and their sad to see him go.

He was the man they loved to hate. It's like Lex Luthor losing Superman.

Who are they gonna channel all of their hatred and spite towards now? :noidea:

:chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
02-29-2012, 06:39 PM
He was the man they loved to hate. It's like Lex Luthor losing Superman.

Who are they gonna channel all of their hatred and spite towards now? :noidea:

I follow 2 teams - the Steelers and Duke basketball

Trust me on this - fans that envy successful teams always find a new player upon which to focus their ire when the prior villain leaves the stage

My bet is Roethlisberger

Fire Arians
02-29-2012, 06:43 PM

Trust me on this - fans that envy successful teams always find a new player upon which to focus their ire when the prior villain leaves the stage

My bet is Roethlisberger

i'm sure they already hate roethlisberger.

but yeah nothing pisses off the opposition more than either a boisterous loudmouth or someone who's always smiling after making huge plays against your team constantly. which is why james harrison and troy P aren't really good targets of hate since they're rather quiet players. goes both ways i guess. more steelers players/fans hate terrell suggs more than haloti ngata for the exact same reason, even though ngata has as big of a hand (if not more) in causing problems for us than t-sizzle, he just doesn't have that same villain persona.

maybe antonio brown will be next on their hate list since he kinda has that attitude in him

PhantomJB93
02-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Hines had a great career and I will always have fond memories of his playing days, especially Super Bowl XL (The first Super Bowl I had the experience of seeing the Steelers win in my lifetime).

That said, it was time for him to go. I just wish he would have retired, it's gonna be hard to see him in another uniform.

Buddha Bus
02-29-2012, 06:52 PM

My bet is Roethlisberger

I think it's a different kind of hate with Ben. I live near Baltimore and something about Hines Ward touches a primal rage inside them like nothing I've ever seen before. The Ben thing is to them what Ray Lewis is to us.

Hines Ward is like the Anti-Raven to them though. The sheer venom that Ravens fans spit when Ward is even mentioned is comical to say the least. I usually egg it on by saying that they'd LOVE Hines if he was on their team. Convulsions, head-spinning, and pea soup-spitting traditionally follow. :chuckle:

steeltheone
02-29-2012, 06:53 PM

but yeah nothing pisses off the opposition more than either a boisterous loudmouth or someone who's always smiling after making huge plays against your team constantly. which is why james harrison and troy P aren't really good targets of hate since they're rather quiet players. goes both ways i guess. more steelers players/fans hate terrell suggs more than haloti ngata for the exact same reason, even though ngata has as big of a hand (if not more) in causing problems for us than t-sizzle, he just doesn't have that same villain persona.

maybe antonio brown will be next on their hate list since he kinda has that attitude in him

Troy, yes...JAMES HARRISON, you nuts? He always runs his mouth and plays hard to boot....Not to mention his off field activities...He is an easy target for opposing fans.

Sean95m
02-29-2012, 06:56 PM
In honor of Hines Ward, I'm going out tonight and knock a Ravens fan on his ass.

Buddha Bus
02-29-2012, 06:58 PM
In honor of Hines Ward, I'm going out tonight and knock a Ravens fan on his ass.

Don't forget to SMILE! :sofunny:

ZiggyHeyward
02-29-2012, 07:08 PM
best of luck Hines thanks for 14 years of service . Your toughness with a smile has been an absolute pleasure to watch. You embody everything it is to be a Steeler and helped mentor the likes of Burris, Randel El, Washington, Holmes, Wallace, Brown, Sanders and Big Ben. Im going to miss watching Psycho 86 KTFO the likes of Ed Reed and Keith Rivers. Toughest and best Blocking WR of the Superbowl era hope he continues to grind his ticket to the Hall

steeltheone
02-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Troy, yes...JAMES HARRISON, you nuts? He always runs his mouth and plays hard to boot....Not to mention his off field activities...He is an easy target for opposing fans.

Steel95
Thanks for the memories Hines Ward, we will miss you.

P.S - See you in Canton

fujirama24
This is a sad day for steelers fans and for me. But maybe they had to do it. But if we lose wallace to then this was plain dumb. I still kinda hope he comes back and kicks are @ss.

Bayz101
02-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Well, shit. This sucks. Thanks for all you've done for this team, Hines.

steeltheone
02-29-2012, 07:11 PM

Hahaha:rofl:

SteelersinCA
02-29-2012, 07:13 PM
Hines is great. I will miss him.

SteelerEmpire
02-29-2012, 07:19 PM

What I hate is that the a Raven got the last lick in; was hoping Hines would get some payback. :banging::banging::banging:

XAhER2hWzqM

finesward
02-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Wr coaching spot maybe? Keep him in the mix, will be weird not seeing him smiling on the field

Steel_Bus_24
02-29-2012, 07:29 PM
As far as Sports fandom goes

I feel like my guts and heart were just ripped out

Its nearly as bad as losing a big Playoff game

Hines Ward I salute you:tt03::tt03::tt03:

http://www.psfwallpapers.com/resources/wallpaper/hines-ward.jpg.opt465x371o0,0s465x371.jpg

Iy4iQvJo24U

tburhans
02-29-2012, 07:30 PM
I hope the guy that always brought the psycho 86 banner to the games keeps bringing it in honor of hines. Hines was a great locker room presence, a great team leader. He was good for the steelers on and off the field, a true professional. Some people say he was a dirty player,but to me he wasnt dirty,he was just passionate about the game. He is a sure hall of famer someday and arguably the best blocking receiver of all time. He will always be in the heart of Steeler Nation. Thank you Hines for 14 years of blood,sweat and tears. #86 Forever :tt04:

QCbeauBlak
02-29-2012, 07:35 PM

My bet is Roethlisberger

Hello my fellow Blue Devil Fan!! I hail from Charlotte NC. I agree totally. Every since Laettner left, a new successor of hate is named every year. I don't worry about that. I just hate that so many people dog Duke as if their accomplishments as a program are meaningless. Everyday someone is telling me how we are overrated yet we still win. Same goes for the Steelers and fans of other teams. Ravens fans are already naming Clark as their new PE#1. You would think they would respect guys that play the game the right way. Most Steeler fans have tremendous respect for the Ravens players, just not them all collectively.

stb_steeler
02-29-2012, 07:43 PM
He said hes not ready to give it up yet.....
Say it isnt so Hines........
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz240/stbsteeler/twould_be_a_shame_if_hines_ward_didnt_retire_a_ste eler.jpg

xbroughneck
02-29-2012, 07:47 PM
This is a sad day for steelers fans and for me. But maybe they had to do it. But if we lose wallace to then this was plain dumb. I still kinda hope he comes back and kicks are @ss.

Even if they lose Wallace why is this a dumb move?

Team needs receivers that can get separation, out run their guy....get open.

They don't need a guy that can block really well playing wideout.

Ward has knowledge, but this is professional football. He has never been quick, and that's even more true now.

6RingsAndCounting
02-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Very bittersweet...

pancake
02-29-2012, 07:53 PM
I will miss Hines Ward... I wish he would just retire...:crying01:

MACH1
02-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Sad day indeed!
Thanks for the memories Hines, gonna miss that smile.

Just don't go to the ratbirds.

6RingsAndCounting
02-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Is he really a hall of famer? I believe he is, but do you think the voters will think he will?
Look at this era of receivers, you have Moss, Owens, Harrison. Plus you can put Isaac Bruce and Isaac Bruce on the list, hell, even Cris Carter hasn't made it.

fujirama24
02-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Even if they lose Wallace why is this a dumb move?

Team needs receivers that can get separation, out run their guy....get open.

They don't need a guy that can block really well playing wideout.

Ward has knowledge, but this is professional football. He has never been quick, and that's even more true now.

Getting open hasn't been a problem for him. He could find that one spot in the Zone that was open. I think he has alot let in the tank. He will probable be with wiz in steelers west with peyton throwing him the ball.

zcoop
02-29-2012, 08:20 PM
What a Class Act!

steelax04
02-29-2012, 08:20 PM
Sad day...BULLSHIT day.

http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/2012/02/goodbye-legend.html

So what option did they have for an aging legend that was demoted to 4th string in a matter of a few games? Vet minimum? With the salary cap issues, they need every dime they can scrounge up from the seat cushions.

Let's not be bitter or "ashamed" and think the Steelers should cut off their nose to spite their face.

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."

SteelCurtain5643
02-29-2012, 08:43 PM
In honor of Hines, I changed my avatar to a pic of him :tt02::tt02:

Steelerfreak58
02-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Its business that's all just business. Sad to see him go he will go down as one of the all time Steeler Greats. Time waits for no man and it catches all of us.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Was a great career, but sad to watch him relegated to the 5th WR on the team. It had to be done.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Certainly a hall of famer and here is what seperates him from the pack.

1) Was Hines a game changer? Yes, on 2 front, his blocking and hitting from the wr stand point. Rules had to put in place due to the level of hits he would put on the def.

2) Receptions

3) Yardage

But #1 seperates him, as he redid his position and showed what added value WR's can do on the field. The HoF committee will look and take that into fact. Just ask REED, lol

GMU Steeler
02-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Sad to see him go. A hard worker, the best blocking receiver ever, a fine guy and teammate. Thanks for the memories Hines. Understand why it was done but it will be a little different and sad not seeing number 86 on the field next season.

casteeler
02-29-2012, 09:38 PM
My favorite Steeler of all time!!! Hopefully we won't have to face him in the future, he might take those piles of sh#* we call CBs to school

mizzouristeeler
02-29-2012, 09:39 PM
I know its for the best but its sill hard to believe. He will forever be a steeler. We will miss you hines.

Bayz101
02-29-2012, 09:42 PM
In honor of Hines, I changed my avatar to a pic of him :tt02::tt02:

Honestly. I'm going to follow you up on that, and I hope others follow suit. Seems only appropriate.

Atlanta Dan
02-29-2012, 09:45 PM
This

Here's hoping Ward doesn't fall for the intoxicating fumes of payback and leaves the NFL as a Steeler only. ...

Ward isn't the same player. He's clearly slowed. It's only a matter of time before a Daniel Snyder type hoping to make a splash off a big name offers Ward some sort of highly incentivized contract and Ward limps to the end of his career in a strange uniform on a distant field.

The pull for Ward to try to prove the Steelers wrong will be immense, but hopefully he resists.

And never puts on another uniform.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/17512776/heres-hoping-steelers-great-ward-knows-time-to-quit-is-now

ZiggyHeyward
02-29-2012, 09:49 PM
I will miss Hines Ward... I wish he would just retire...:crying01:

I hope he catches on with a team and pads his numbers while not hurting us. It's going to suck watching him play for another team but he has the desire to play and I hope he gets the chance to.

steeltheone
02-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Ward isn't dumb, he will go somewhere he can succeed and be on a winner.

StainlessStill
02-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Honestly. I'm going to follow you up on that, and I hope others follow suit. Seems only appropriate.

Well said. Every diehard Steelers fan should do the same. :drink:To HINES WARD!:drink:

StainlessStill
02-29-2012, 10:03 PM
I love this picture of Hines in his rookie season, stretching in the Steelers endzone wearing #15. The beginning of a Hall of Fame career and onto one of the most beloved Steelers ever.

http://www.jimrome.com/cimages/var/ezjimrome/storage/images/repository/photos/hines-ward-1998-nfl-season/253767-1-eng-US/Hines-Ward-1998-NFL-Season_photo_medium.jpg

Lokki
02-29-2012, 10:30 PM
I hate this. I know that it is a business decision, but it still sucks. Lots of memories, for sure.

austinfrench76
02-29-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm sure I'm not alone in saying my favorite Steeler of all time. Embodied what the Black and Gold are all about. It will SUCK to see him play agianst us, EVER! Good luck Hines, you're the man!

cloppbeast
02-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Very sad day. We'll miss you Hines.

Bayz101
02-29-2012, 10:59 PM
"This isn't how I wanted this chapter of my career to end. I did everything in my power to remain a Steeler and finish what I started here 14 years ago. I want to thank the organization, my teammates and coaches and everyone who made my run as a Steeler the best years of my life.

To Mr. Rooney, thank you for allowing me to play for one of the greatest organizations in the world. To my fans and in particular, Steeler Nation, thank you for your support and all the great memories. I gave my heart and soul for you every down and I will always bleed black and gold. I do feel that I still have more football left in me and I am looking forward to playing in the NFL, again, this upcoming season. - HINES"

60_MINUTES
02-29-2012, 11:41 PM
"This isn't how I wanted this chapter of my career to end. I did everything in my power to remain a Steeler and finish what I started here 14 years ago. I want to thank the organization, my teammates and coaches and everyone who made my run as a Steeler the best years of my life.

To Mr. Rooney, thank you for allowing me to play for one of the greatest organizations in the world. To my fans and in particular, Steeler Nation, thank you for your support and all the great memories. I gave my heart and soul for you every down and I will always bleed black and gold. I do feel that I still have more football left in me and I am looking forward to playing in the NFL, again, this upcoming season. - HINES"

I will die of heart failure if he plays for Pats or Ravens... If he plays please let it be with the Cards.. That I could deal with... ''I still dont get why we cant bring him back for the VET min... you know we gonna have some 7th rounder on the team...or some Arnez Battle... Why cant it be ward instead of those guys... I bet you anything the guy would play specail teams and prob be the best on the field and have a blast doing it... I read it would cost us around 500 k to bring him back at vet min compare to a rookie at the min but who cares... You cant tell me we cant find a way to re do someones contract to save just a bit more for the greatest WR in Steeler History..Not to mention I still think the guy has football left in him... Just because he cant run like he use to doesnt mean he cant block on a 70 yard TD run..or find the open spot in the zone on 3rd down...or most important teach the young guys what a Steeler is suppose to be about... that alone means more than anything. The Joe Green Affect so to speak.. The reason we are winners in the first place... Teaching and showing guys what steelers are all about is worth an extra 400 k or 500

madtowndrunkard
03-01-2012, 12:03 AM
I hope Hines gets picked up by a team like the Packers. I would love to see him put up another 1000 yard season.

This is BS really. If we wanted to keep him, we could have. We gave Bettis what he wanted, and let him retire a steeler. Why not Hines? I think all he wanted was 1 more season.

QCbeauBlak
03-01-2012, 12:10 AM
But then how long do you let him stay? Some players just have a hard time letting go and will stay forever if you enable them.

If you have not seen this, check this out. It is a clip of Jason Taylor in the locker room addressing his team after his last game.
http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/videos/Jason-Taylor-Locker-Room-Speech/55cdf49e-feea-4fe3-86fa-fb4e1dd615e1

It's hard to let go, but at some point, even if you are only spending minimum money, that money is better served grooming a young inexpensive talent with potential.

Lady Steel
03-01-2012, 01:16 AM
I will die of heart failure if he plays for Pats or Ravens.

Me, too. That was one of the first things that went through my mind.

I'm devastated by this news. It feels like there has been a death in our Steelers family.

Steelers Nation loves you, Hines, and you will forever be a Pittsburgh Steeler. Thank you for the memories. Keep on smilin'. And dancin'. :tt:

jtbsteeler
03-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Sad day indeed. Thanks Hines for all the memories and production. A sure HOF'er. I especially want to thank you for beating up Ed Reed and Bart Scott. And for sending ravens fans in a tizzy because of their dislike of you.

YOu have two rings and Reed has zero. I like how that sounds.

:tt03::tt03::tt03:

jtbsteeler
03-01-2012, 01:51 AM
Hines wont go to the Ratbirds. He understands how the fans feel about them. He would get a commentating job if he decided to do so.

rcoplien
03-01-2012, 01:58 AM
I think its crap that they didn't even offer to redu his contract? He was expecting it anyway. Let the guy retire a Steeler he deserves it. I'm very disappointed.

rcoplien
03-01-2012, 02:06 AM
I hope Hines gets picked up by a team like the Packers. I would love to see him put up another 1000 yard season.

This is BS really. If we wanted to keep him, we could have. We gave Bettis what he wanted, and let him retire a steeler. Why not Hines? I think all he wanted was 1 more season.

God no I can't stand the packers. that would be a travesty. Sad thing is I live in Wisconsin and still can't stand the Packers. Steelers rule:tt04::tt04:

StainlessStill
03-01-2012, 02:07 AM
I think its crap that they didn't even offer to redu his contract? He was expecting it anyway. Let the guy retire a Steeler he deserves it. I'm very disappointed.

It just doesn't work like that. Why pay Hines the kind of money he was scheduled to make while we are absolutely getting DESTROYED within the future of our young core givin' our state within the salary cap?

Hines would of been making a boatload of dough and I sure as hell wasn't in the mood to see his role diminish the way it did last season. Why go through an even WORSE scenario this season? I love Hines Ward, it's sad to see him go, but it was the right decision for this team to move forward if we wanted a shot at keeping guys like Wallace, Brown and Sanders. Our future.

DanRooney
03-01-2012, 02:33 AM
MADNESS!

HOW CAN YOU RELEASE THE BEST BLOCKING WR IN THE GAME WITHOUT EVEN OFFERING HIM A CONTRACT?!

HE HAD 1,000 yards TWO YEARS AGO!

COLBERT/ROONEY IS STOOP!!!

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 02:39 AM
Nice work of baiting there, Dan. Now, piss off. :hatsoff:

ggoldman
03-01-2012, 03:55 AM
If we can't use him anymore, I cant think of another team that would sign him

pete74
03-01-2012, 05:05 AM
i would love to see Hines go to a good team and have one more 1000yard year then retire. personally i would of offered him leauge min. for a vet before i cut him. i also would of released Smith and Kemo first

ricardisimo
03-01-2012, 05:17 AM
MADNESS!

HOW CAN YOU RELEASE THE BEST BLOCKING WR IN THE GAME WITHOUT EVEN OFFERING HIM A CONTRACT?!

COLBERT/ROONEY IS STOOP!!!
Considering how near and dear Hines clearly is to the hearts of many a Steelers fan, I'd tone down the flaming and trolling on this issue if I were you. I'd focus on spinning the positives here; the bright future of our receiving corps, the extra cap room for Wallace, possible draft day replacements, etc.
:hatsoff:
i would love to see Hines go to a good team and have one more 1000yard year then retire. personally i would of offered him leauge min. for a vet before i cut him. i also would of released Smith and Kemo first
As far as cutting Kemo and Smith first, evidently Hines' contract dictated the terms of his release, March 1st (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12011/1202701-66-0.stm) being the last possible date to do so. The other two, I'm certain, had no such stipulations.

DanRooney
03-01-2012, 05:34 AM
Considering how near and dear Hines clearly is to the hearts of many a Steelers fan, I'd tone down the flaming and trolling on this issue if I were you. I'd focus on spinning the positives here; the bright future of our receiving corps, the extra cap room for Wallace, possible draft day replacements, etc.
:hatsoff:

Oh I was doing that for the past year or so.. :thumbsup: You know, speaking of how promising Brown was, how Hines' spot could be easily filled by Cotchery (who's better at this point in his career), and how letting him go would give us an opportunity to grab another guy in the draft who can do more than catch WR screens and block.

Welcome to reality everyone. I guess it's only OK to let go of something after the fact. But when it's practically written on the wall for everyone to see, its not cool. It's gotta happen first.

Rick5895
03-01-2012, 06:30 AM
Oh I was doing that for the past year or so.. :thumbsup: You know, speaking of how promising Brown was, how Hines' spot could be easily filled by Cotchery (who's better at this point in his career), and how letting him go would give us an opportunity to grab another guy in the draft who can do more than catch WR screens and block.

Welcome to reality everyone. I guess it's only OK to let go of something after the fact. But when it's practically written on the wall for everyone to see, its not cool. It's gotta happen first.

The majority of Steelers fans knew this day was coming Dan. It is still difficult, at this time, to comprehend that Hines will no longer be a Steeler. As much as this makes sense to do, it still brings back memories to me of When Franco was let go, Webby was let go and Lambert retired. Trying not to be over dramtic here but it does leave a little void for a Steelers fan knowing that we won't see #86 n the field anymore in black and gold.
A little les "I told you so" would be in order here. Hines was and still is , IMO, one of the best Steelers we have seen if not the best WR we have seen in black and gold.

:tt04:

kan_t
03-01-2012, 06:41 AM
Sad but have seen that's coming for a while. Letting hin go just makes too much sense. I wish Ward the best.

On another note it may likely indicate that the Steelers already have an agreement with Wallace.

SteelerFanInATL
03-01-2012, 06:50 AM
I'm not suprised he was released. I just don't want to see him in another uniform. Honestly, I would be suprised if he was signed by another team.

pete74
03-01-2012, 07:54 AM
I'm not suprised he was released. I just don't want to see him in another uniform. Honestly, I would be suprised if he was signed by another team.

He already said he wants to play this season so ge will be playing. With his experience and mentor ability i gurentee you someone will sign him

VA_steeelrs
03-01-2012, 09:58 AM
I still dont get it why we refuse to renegotiate his contract?

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 10:31 AM

And you we're right, but it's not like we didn't see it coming. I did, but it was just a matter of when. Regardless, trying to shove it in our face's not only make's little sense, but it makes me question you in a lot of way's. Either way, just settle down, there's a bunch of pissed off and depressed Steelers fan's right now that feel like someone's died in the family, and we don't need gloating.

kittenfantastico76
03-01-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm so sad about this, SO sad. Worst. Idea. EVER!

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 10:57 AM
I'm so sad about this, SO sad. Worst. Idea. EVER!

The business side of the NFL really sucks, I tell you. But it's time to look forward. Hopefully we can sign Cotch and Wallace, and go for #7 next year. Although, it'll never feel the same. I'll continue to support Ward by using his picture in my Avatar.

RCap74
03-01-2012, 11:00 AM
What a sad day for the city of Pittsburgh and what an embarrassing day for the Steelers Organization! Shame on you Art Rooney Jr.! Hines has been the face and heart and soul of this team and you couldn't let him retire a Steeler?? Would have been nice to give him a huge send off when he retired, but nope, you kicked him to the curb!

rcoplien
03-01-2012, 11:39 AM
I will miss Hines. He always had a smile on his face no matter how a play ended up. He was an outstanding WR blocker as well. Who ever picks him up will have a nice jem for a couple years.

I think if the team wants to get rid of more players they need to seriously look at letting Smith and Gay go. Smith has been injury ridden and Gay cost us many games the past 2 years.

vasteeler
03-01-2012, 11:46 AM
some of you guys.........:doh:

its obvious ward is done. i love ward as much as i have loved any steeler but he just cant do it anymore. its as simple as that

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 11:48 AM
some of you guys.........:doh:

VA :chuckle:

Set-Man
03-01-2012, 12:39 PM
I had to say something about this (as does everybody else):

Definitely the correct move. Hines body is done - slow and ineffective. He was done mid-year. The Steelers gave him his 1000 receptions with lame bubble-screens and short throws. Would you really put Ward in for Wallace, Brown, Sanders, or Cotchery? No way.

For the people complaining that this was the wrong move, you are nuts. The Cheatriots are the way they are because they release or more smartly trade their big name players just as after they peak. They rack up draft picks and stay fresh. Rooney's almost never trade players, they release them.

I would be surprised if Hines ends up on another team because he looked so slow. Nobody is going to waste a roster spot on a "mentor". i do hope he retires but if he does not, then good luck to him.

What we should be saying is thank you and remember his numerous highlights or receptions and blocks. Absolutely the toughest receiver ever to play the game. Receivers never blocked like that before he came along. In my book he is a HOF'er but that remains to be seen.

:tt02:

SteelBlaze1
03-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Hines has been my favorite Steeler for the last 14 years and will continue to be one of my favorite players. I am really saddened by the news (I was hoping they would work out something), but I understand it.

Thank you Hines for ALL of the GREAT memories!!

truesteelerfan
03-01-2012, 03:17 PM
This makes me very sad - i loved seeing that smile during a game that drove the other team's D crazy and want to wipe it off him. Going to miss him as he was also my favorite current player, I thought he would benefit us one more year and think we should have signed him for vet min (if would have taken that) a true WR coach on the field that made the other WR on this team better.

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 03:21 PM
The problem with Ward is that he's been around for fourteen years, and we've been developing our younger receiver's for two to three years now. Just like Favre, he left and in came Rodgers. Look how that worked out.

It's time for Brown and Wallace to step in, and Sanders along side. I think Ward could have helped us another year, but that's simply not the case.

Sixburgher
03-01-2012, 03:38 PM
For the people complaining that this was the wrong move, you are nuts. The Cheatriots are the way they are because they release or more smartly trade their big name players just as after they peak. They rack up draft picks and stay fresh. Rooney's almost never trade players, they release them.

Getting so freaking tired of the Patriots penis envy. :banging:

ricardisimo
03-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Yes, the Cheats definitely have figured it out. They have the blueprint... wait... we're talking about disappointing one's fans, right? :huh:

ricardisimo
03-01-2012, 05:46 PM

Uh, not so sure about that. Your name's not the first one that pops into my mind when thinking about productive, constructive posters, to say the least. Seems like mostly you trade smug barbs with others about Hines and Gibson, back and forth, back and forth.

Whatever, they're both gone now. We can move on and start talking about the future. And make no mistake, washed up or not, Hines' departure is a watershed moment for these Steelers. [there's a pun in there somewhere... "washed up", "watershed"... gotta work on my material.] This is almost as significant as when Cowher or Tomlin took over.

GMU Steeler
03-01-2012, 05:54 PM

Can't say I blame you. Yeah they're generally a well run org, I'll give them but I'll take our past seven years over theirs any day. And the Pats FO isn't immune from making dumb movies e.g. trading draft picks for washed up guys lke Haynesworth and Johnson. And their own drafts lately really haven't been all that great.

tony hipchest
03-01-2012, 06:43 PM
MADNESS!

COLBERT/ROONEY IS STOOP!!! i knew it was just a matter of time before the board assclown would post in this thread for no other reason than flaming. the only suprise is it wasnt yesterday. i guess he wasnt "bored" enough. well, theres a time and place for everything and now may be perfect to put him in his....

Welcome to reality everyone. I guess it's only OK to let go of something after the fact. But when it's practically written on the wall for everyone to see, its not cool. It's gotta happen first.what is it you need? a ****ing cookie or pat on the back?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/seekingsusan.jpg
Desperately Seeking Cyber-attention

im sorry you werent lavished with attention as a child (or perhaps were spoiled with way too much) and are severely lacking in the amount you need now.

but good news! you have already gained the attention of 3 mods in this thread alone. :applaudit:

since youre next obvious move is to drop some lame homophibic slur or innuendo, perhaps i'll just wait to bring the hammer crashing down. :cool:

incase you havent noticed yet, the board has been just fine while you were away, and nobody missed your "insight" a bit. maybe you just might wanna leave it that way before the decision is made for you. :wave:

MACH1
03-01-2012, 06:57 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKBmbTAGluOX2-970ZU5eprjMATAL1z_DUv5irBJDbXLcRoA7cCrl_uldcAA

finesward
03-01-2012, 07:21 PM
I had to say something about this (as does everybody else):

Definitely the correct move. Hines body is done - slow and ineffective. He was done mid-year. The Steelers gave him his 1000 receptions with lame bubble-screens and short throws. Would you really put Ward in for Wallace, Brown, Sanders, or Cotchery? No way.

I would be surprised if Hines ends up on another team because he looked so slow. Nobody is going to waste a roster spot on a "mentor". i do hope he retires but if he does not, then good luck to him.

What we should be saying is thank you and remember his numerous highlights or receptions and blocks. Absolutely the toughest receiver ever to play the game. Receivers never blocked like that before he came along. In my book he is a HOF'er but that remains to be seen.

:tt02:
Ok, I'm getting a little annoyed with the patriot ball washing going on here. What exactly is "the way they are"? What they are is 1 player away from being an extremely sub-par team. They have no talent on D besides mayo and maybe a declining wilfork. They have no WR depth, and their O-line is suspect against physical 4 man lines. They have a smart coach who has a well disciplined team year after year, but as far as being this personnel mastermind that some claim, he is highly overrated. That team lost whatever swagger they used to carry when they traded away seymour.

steelbad@50
03-01-2012, 07:29 PM
I aint gonna lie it hurts to see Hines get released, and any fan of the Steelers will probably feel the same way. I for one wish him nothing but the best of luck for what ever the future holds for him and his family. Thanks for all the memories Hines.

Atlanta Dan
03-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Some interesting thoughts by Ed.B. of the P-G

Rooney Wasn't Going to Force Another on Tomlin

But let’s examine what happened between him and the Steelers, why it came to this.
There is still room on the roster for Ward. Even if they somehow keep both of their free agent wide receivers, Mike Wallace and Jerricho Cotchery. But Mike Tomlin did not want him back for whatever reasons and that was that (notice the lack of comments by the coach in the Steelers' statement on the release of Ward, only Art Rooney had anything to say about him)....

I was told by one player that the word came down from the top to try to get Ward his 1,000 catches, and the coaches did that. Someone else told me that management would have liked to see Ward back for one more season, even if it were as the No. 3 or 4 receiver, but that Tomlin stood firm that he did not want him back. After Bruce Arians was forced out in a very public manner, Art Rooney did not want to force this on the coach too.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115138-ed-rooney-wasnt-going-to-force-another-on-tomlin

If the Steelers take a step back next season IMO AJR II will have Tomlin on the hot seat

Riddle_Of_Steel
03-01-2012, 08:14 PM
I am literally choked up as I type this.....

Happy trails, Hines!!!!!
You will ALWAYS be a Steeler, and my favorite one. Thanks for all the great memories since 1998.

See you in Canton!

stb_steeler
03-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Some interesting thoughts by Ed.B. of the P-G

Rooney Wasn't Going to Force Another on Tomlin

But let’s examine what happened between him and the Steelers, why it came to this.
There is still room on the roster for Ward. Even if they somehow keep both of their free agent wide receivers, Mike Wallace and Jerricho Cotchery. But Mike Tomlin did not want him back for whatever reasons and that was that (notice the lack of comments by the coach in the Steelers' statement on the release of Ward, only Art Rooney had anything to say about him)....

I was told by one player that the word came down from the top to try to get Ward his 1,000 catches, and the coaches did that. Someone else told me that management would have liked to see Ward back for one more season, even if it were as the No. 3 or 4 receiver, but that Tomlin stood firm that he did not want him back. After Bruce Arians was forced out in a very public manner, Art Rooney did not want to force this on the coach too.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115138-ed-rooney-wasnt-going-to-force-another-on-tomlin

If the Steelers take a step back next season IMO AJR II will have Tomlin on the hot seat

WOW...is he trying to make heads roll or what?

tony hipchest
03-01-2012, 08:16 PM

:shout:- HIRE ARIANS!!!

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 08:48 PM
:shout:- HIRE ARIANS!!!

I will NOT allow a hire Arians thread to be stickied on this forum :chuckle:

Hell to the no.

finesward
03-01-2012, 10:32 PM
I think it was a wise move by tomlin. When your being undermined by your bosses and your supposed to be the "boss" to the players, the respect level can get away from you. I think tomlin could have been irked that he was "padding stats" :rofl: and being undercut with arians departure, that this was his statement to the rooneys that they chose him to be the head coach and that's what he plans on doing. The time for being buddy buddy with the vets is over if this team wants to compete. He did what he had to do when he took over a vet-laden team but now the guard has been changed and this team is now his.

Sucks for Hines that he's out, but he should have retired gracefully into the sunset with his milestone reached.

Ricco Suavez
03-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Hines Ward is Steeler Football, hard nosed, take a lick give a lick back. Came up smiling after big hits, made the tough catches and had a chip on his shoulder for most of his career. I knew this day was coming and I knew with the cap situation and Hine's age and skill set fading this could very well be his last hurrah. Regardless if he signs with another team he will be remembered as a Steeler first , last , and forever.

Teams and players owe nothing to each other at this point in a players career. Ward has produced on the field and played the game the way I as a fan enjoyed, in return the FO has paid him very well. Hines will never need to worry about money. I am sure he has options for a career after football that should pay well also.

This tough decision came down to cap space and roster space. Even at the vet minimum he would of been a hit to the cap and he would of taken a spot that could be filled very well by younger talent. Talent that could fill more than one need. This happens to all players, and when it happens to a fan favorite it sometimes clouds our judgement.

The front office has had a knack of dumping players before they become liabilities, they have dropped players who went on to be productive for other teams. But their record speaks volumes of making these kind of decisions and being right most of the time. This time it involved the player who has been the face of a franchise for over a decade and it hurts. Best of luck Hines Ward. P.S. if you do sign with the Ravens knock Ed Reed out in practice one more time for old times sake.