PDA

View Full Version : Santonio...No love for Ben

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-14-2006, 06:40 AM
"I've reached out to Santonio, kind of like [Jerome Bettis] did to me," Roethlisberger said.

"I gave him my numbers, told him to call me, and when he got into trouble, I called him a bunch of time and left a bunch of messages for him, and he has never called me back, so I don't know how to take it.

"If he wants me to help him and wants me to take him under my wing, I'll do that, but it is his call, now, not mine. The ball is in his court, so to speak, but I think he'll be OK and, hopefully, he'll get to camp and get his head screwed on straight."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06195/705856-66.stm

Whats with this kid...........Didnt even call Big Ben back???????
If im a rookie and my superstar quarterback calls me.............I call him back...

BlackNGold203
07-14-2006, 07:11 AM
I hope this kid wakes up...and realizes how freakin lucky he is to be in this organization....with these players...and this staff....

Livinginthe past
07-14-2006, 07:41 AM
You know what?

I don't think that is the greatest move by Ben.

He is calling out a rookie in the press who has obviously some issues with authority, and he is doing it in a finger pointing, hand washing type way.

To me, it seems like he is trying to go on the record as having tried to help the guy out but having been ignored.

These type of ultimatums are only useful if done face to face, I cant imagine any old school Steelers employing this method.

On a seperate note, it doesn't appear that Ben has learnt a great deal from the crash if his words are to be believed.

He appears to be saying " I sometimes wore a helmet and I was just unlucky that day, so I may not ride a bike again.,....then again I may."

"And if I do ride a bike again I'll definitely wear my helmet....or maybe I wont."

Hardly the most impressive interview from someone who was a minute from the end of his young life.

NM

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-14-2006, 07:45 AM
I hope this kid wakes up...and realizes how freakin lucky he is to be in this organization....with these players...and this staff....

I thought his answer to the last question on the Steelers web site was very insightful as to how this kid thinks:

From Mary Bennett from Sarasota, FL: Is there any more pressure coming to a Super Bowl Champion with the expectations on the team so high?
Santonio Holmes: No, not at all. I think I got drafted because I was needed and my potential set me aside from other receivers

My Grrrrrrrrrr-reflex is starting to kick in, and I'm having Troy Edward flashbacks....If he shows up wearing a HUGE silver dollar sign around his neck...I am going to go pick up Arkie and his arsenal and head to the 'burgh

BlackNGold203
07-14-2006, 08:29 AM
You know what?

He is calling out a rookie in the press who has obviously some issues with authority, and he is doing it in a finger pointing, hand washing type way.

To me, it seems like he is trying to go on the record as having tried to help the guy out but having been ignored.

These type of ultimatums are only useful if done face to face, I cant imagine any old school Steelers employing this method.

On a seperate note, it doesn't appear that Ben has learnt a great deal from the crash if his words are to be believed.

He appears to be saying " I sometimes wore a helmet and I was just unlucky that day, so I may not ride a bike again.,....then again I may."

"And if I do ride a bike again I'll definitely wear my helmet....or maybe I wont."

Hardly the most impressive interview from someone who was a minute from the end of his young life.

NM

First of all..in the Jim Rome interview...when asked if he would wear a helmet in the future..he said "YES"..definitively...no wavering....

Second of all...I thought it was a GOOD move..it sends notice to this kid...and this kid needs it...

"Hardly the most impressive interview"....LMAO...dude...this kid is 5 weeks out from that accident...and he is sitting in front of Jim Rome...not the easiest interview to be sure...Objectively..I thought it was an OUTSTANDING interview...he came across as focused...humbled...and honest....what I got out of it was "MESSAGE SENT AND RECEIVED"...but he's still gonna be Ben...and that makes me feel great...because "being Ben"...is what makes him special...

PisnNapalm
07-14-2006, 08:31 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again... When I learned he had 3 kids by 3 different women before he graduated college and was drafted, I thought to myself, this kid has issues. He doesn't have his "life priorities" straight.

Everything that has happened so far has reinforced my belief that drafting this kid was a mistake.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope that once camp starts, the older players can set him straight.

Big D
07-14-2006, 08:34 AM
I hope to god we dont give this kid alot of guaranteed money. He already needs to go. This is not the type of attention that our team needs. This was a bad pick from the get go

X-Terminator
07-14-2006, 08:45 AM
This kid had better show up with a major attitude adjustment and a fire lit under his ass, that's all I have to say. And to think I was actually happy with this pick...:dang:

section514
07-14-2006, 08:47 AM
You know what?

NM

I think that this was a great move by ben, he's putting more pressure on this kid to snap out of it, Ben is givin the media fuel to burn santonio if he fails, it will be in the back of santonio's head

Big D
07-14-2006, 08:48 AM
I think this was a total waste of a first round pick. I know this would never happen but what if he never even plays a down this year

HometownGal
07-14-2006, 08:52 AM
This is what stood out to me in this article, not Ben's attempts to reach Santonio Holmes.

"I'm not even thinking about it, about riding or not, about wearing a helmet or not," Roethlisberger said. "The only helmet I am thinking about right now is my football helmet, getting it back on and playing for the Steelers.

Santonio seems to have a bit of an attitude problem, imho, and he'll either come to camp, lose that attitude and work hard or find himself looking for another house to haunt. The Steelers don't need or want a problem child representing their organization.

83-Steelers-43
07-14-2006, 09:08 AM
First of all..in the Jim Rome interview...when asked if he would wear a helmet in the future..he said "YES"..definitively...no wavering....

Second of all...I thought it was a GOOD move..it sends notice to this kid...and this kid needs it...

"Hardly the most impressive interview"....LMAO...dude...this kid is 5 weeks out from that accident...and he is sitting in front of Jim Rome...not the easiest interview to be sure...Objectively..I thought it was an OUTSTANDING interview...he came across as focused...humbled...and honest....what I got out of it was "MESSAGE SENT AND RECEIVED"...but he's still gonna be Ben...and that makes me feel great...because "being Ben"...is what makes him special...

Well said and I agree completely. In my opinion, this kid needs to be called out publicly. Contract issues are one thing (face to face meetings), but this kid needs a wake up call and fast.

As for his comments pertaining to wearing a helmet. He did state on Jim Rome that if he ever got on a bike again, he would definately wear a helmet. The part that scares me though, he stills has it in his head that he still might jump back on a bike during his career here as a Pittsburgh Steeler. That completely turned me off.

Livinginthe past
07-14-2006, 09:15 AM

Well everyone has their own opinions I guess.

The fact that he said 'definitively' that he would wear a helmet in future means nothing unless that is the message that he puts out in every interview.

I dont think im being overly picky here when I say that his 'maybe I will, maybe I wont' answer sounded like a politician trying to wriggle out of answering a question properly.

His comment about being not changing his attitude to life is a fairly revealing - this is a guy who feels like he should be saying the right thing but his heart isn't in it.

With regards to his reply to Jime Rome ; was the question - "will you wear a hemlet in future?" or was it "will you always wear a helmet in future?"

We will see what sort of effect, if any, that Roeth's comments have on Santonio - I think alot of Steeler nation has written this guy off already.

NM

83-Steelers-43
07-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Also BNG203, in regards to Santonio. Ben tried calling him and getting in touch with him on the phone (away from the public eye) and Holmes did not bother returning his calls. He's one of the leaders on this team now. It's his job.

Personally, if I'm Holmes he would be the first guy I would return a phone call towards. Ben can make or break that kids career here in Pittsburgh. I'm definately starting to question Santonio Holmes and I wouldn't be surprised if the Rooney's felt the same.

Big D
07-14-2006, 09:28 AM
I really think we should trade his rights. I dont even want to see him in a steelers uniform

Livinginthe past
07-14-2006, 09:31 AM
I really think we should trade his rights. I dont even want to see him in a steelers uniform

Would you take a 5th rounder for him?

NM

HometownGal
07-14-2006, 09:36 AM
While I can certainly understand everyone's frustration with Santonio, I'm going to give him a chance before I totally give up on him. Sometimes, all a rookie with a big head needs is a kick in the ass and a shove to knock that chip (in this case, a brick) off of his shoulder. Camp Cowher is right around the bend - let's see what The Chin and the team leaders can do with this wild child in camp and whether or not he develops a rapport and chemistry with Ben after a few weeks of interacting with the team.

83-Steelers-43
07-14-2006, 09:38 AM

I'm not sure I'm willing to go that far just yet. I want to wait and see how this kid handles himself through camp and through the season. At the same time I'm with you. I'm not very high on the kid at this point in time. He better get his act together or he won't last in this organization. I just want to wait and see how he reacts with Joey Porter and Bill Cowher in his face.

section514
07-14-2006, 09:39 AM
i said this a while back, give him a one year deal, if he doesn't take it, screw em, if he takes it, we get a year to see him in the system, if we dont like him, we trade him for TO or Keyshawn.

kidding about TO and Keyshawn

ARKIESTEEL
07-14-2006, 09:41 AM
I thought his answer to the last question on the Steelers web site was very insightful as to how this kid thinks:

From Mary Bennett from Sarasota, FL: Is there any more pressure coming to a Super Bowl Champion with the expectations on the team so high?
Santonio Holmes: No, not at all. I think I got drafted because I was needed and my potential set me aside from other receivers

My Grrrrrrrrrr-reflex is starting to kick in, and I'm having Troy Edward flashbacks....If he shows up wearing a HUGE silver dollar sign around his neck...I am going to go pick up Arkie and his arsenal and head to the 'burgh

How much would one of them huge silver dollar signs cost I might buy one and send it to him then we could go hunting

Big D
07-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Would you take a 5th rounder for him?

NM
I'm not thinking compensation. I'm thinking about how i dont want a poison on our team

Atlanta Dan
07-14-2006, 09:45 AM
"I've reached out to Santonio, kind of like [Jerome Bettis] did to me," Roethlisberger said.

"I gave him my numbers, told him to call me, and when he got into trouble, I called him a bunch of time and left a bunch of messages for him, and he has never called me back, so I don't know how to take it.

"If he wants me to help him and wants me to take him under my wing, I'll do that, but it is his call, now, not mine. The ball is in his court, so to speak, but I think he'll be OK and, hopefully, he'll get to camp and get his head screwed on straight."

If im a rookie and my superstar quarterback calls me.............I call him back...

I know Ben is going to be stepping up as one of the leaders who will attempt to fill the void left by Jerome's retirement. However, stating you hope someone else gets their head screwed on straight after you nearly were killed for conduct that Steelers' management repeatedly asked you to cease might not give you a great deal of credibility with Holmes in terms of acting in your own self-interest.

I also agree with other posts that calling out Holmes during an interview with Rome might not have ben the most effective way to approach this. Myron Cope trashed Ben for making a public announcemnt he was contributing to tsunami victims and urging his teammates to do the same during his rookie year - I would like to think Ben told Cowher he was planning to call Holmes out, but I doubt it.

If Holmes is going to listen to anyone, Ward, Porter & Cowher are the most likely suspects.

floodcitygirl
07-14-2006, 09:46 AM
While I can certainly understand everyone's frustration with Santonio, I'm going to give him a chance before I totally give up on him. Sometimes, all a rookie with a big head needs is a kick in the ass and a shove to knock that chip (in this case, a brick) off of his shoulder. Camp Cowher is right around the bend - let's see what The Chin and the team leaders can do with this wild child in camp and whether or not he develops a rapport and chemistry with Ben after a few weeks of interacting with the team.Exactly!

BlackNGold203
07-14-2006, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure I'm willing to go that far just yet. I want to wait and see how this kid handles himself through camp and through the season. At the same time I'm with you. I'm not very high on the kid at this point in time. He better get his act together or he won't last in this organization. I just want to wait and see how he reacts with Joey Porter and Bill Cowher in his face.

Agreed....but i gotta tell ya...if this kid cant succeed in this organization....then he cant succeed...strong leadership on and off the field....good character role models...tons of mentoring....you would have to think a rookie would be drooling at having this....

Big D
07-14-2006, 09:51 AM
i'm scared we have a chris henry on our hands

dhosmer
07-14-2006, 10:13 AM
i'm scared we have a chris henry on our hands
at least chris henry made it to the season without getting arrested twice.

Big D
07-14-2006, 10:15 AM
i'll tell you what... if this kid turns out to have a good year after all. I will buy his jersey wear it everyday and night for 7 days. I'll even take a picture of myself wearing the jersey along with my steeler pjs and post it on this site

bcolton82
07-14-2006, 10:31 AM
He went to Ohio State, what the hell do you expect from him?

They breed criminals & cheats in Columbus

stlrtruck
07-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Well everyone has their own opinions I guess.

The fact that he said 'definitively' that he would wear a helmet in future means nothing unless that is the message that he puts out in every interview.

I dont think im being overly picky here when I say that his 'maybe I will, maybe I wont' answer sounded like a politician trying to wriggle out of answering a question properly.

His comment about being not changing his attitude to life is a fairly revealing - this is a guy who feels like he should be saying the right thing but his heart isn't in it.

With regards to his reply to Jime Rome ; was the question - "will you wear a hemlet in future?" or was it "will you always wear a helmet in future?"

We will see what sort of effect, if any, that Roeth's comments have on Santonio - I think alot of Steeler nation has written this guy off already.

NM

When he answered maybe I will, maybe I won't it was in regards to riding a bike again. It had nothing to do with the helmet.

And how do you come up with the "his heart isn't in it" comment? I don't know what interview you watched, maybe it was the Doug Flutie retirement one. But the kid has the heart, desire, and determination it takes to be, not just a football player but a STEELER! And his heart is in it, not just professionally but for his friends and family too! He is fully aware of everything that could have happened and is now focused on what is important, making history and celebrating his "Free Spirit" that makes him a Champion!

klick81
07-14-2006, 11:30 AM
While I can certainly understand everyone's frustration with Santonio, I'm going to give him a chance before I totally give up on him. Sometimes, all a rookie with a big head needs is a kick in the ass and a shove to knock that chip (in this case, a brick) off of his shoulder. Camp Cowher is right around the bend - let's see what The Chin and the team leaders can do with this wild child in camp and whether or not he develops a rapport and chemistry with Ben after a few weeks of interacting with the team.

Okay, so let's say he gets his act straight before the season begins. He becomes as humble as a rookie should be. He then goes on to have a very successful season with the Steelers (hopefully). Guess what? That humble attitude will fade away, and the "THEY NEED ME" attitude will come to the surface again! The organization cannot afford a TO in the team. \

That's just my :twocents:. I HOPE he proves me wrong.

HometownGal
07-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Okay, so let's say he gets his act straight before the season begins. He becomes as humble as a rookie should be. He then goes on to have a very successful season with the Steelers (hopefully). Guess what? That humble attitude will fade away, and the "THEY NEED ME" attitude will come to the surface again! The organization cannot afford a TO in the team. \
That's just my :twocents:. I HOPE he proves me wrong.

I think it is a bit premature to be crucifying this kid before he even reports to camp, that's all I'm saying here. We're only hearing Ben's side of the story. We can speculate all we want about him, but none of us has a crystal ball that is going to predict this kid's future performance/attitude as a Pittsburgh Steeler.

I also think we need to realize that whether this guy is a professional athlete or not, underneath it all he is human just like the rest of us and has/will make mistakes in his life. Haven't we all? The true test is whether or not he will learn from his mistakes, get his head on straight and become a valuable asset to the greatest and one of the most respected organizations in the NFL. The ball is in his court now - let's at least give him a chance to see what he does with it.

Big D
07-14-2006, 11:47 AM
I know i'll get ripped for saying this but oh well. This was a very bad pick. I think sometimes we tend to be homers instead of fans. But as a fan I recognize this as a horrible move on the steelers part and i thought that april 28th. We gave up way to much for him to begin with. As i said if this pick pans out i'll be the first to say sorry i was wrong.

Big D
07-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Make excuses for this clown if you please. But what is forming is a mini t.o. donovan drama. With holmes ignoring bens calls he is disrespecting a leader as well as our star qb.

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 11:59 AM
I think it is a bit premature to be crucifying this kid before he even reports to camp, that's all I'm saying here. We're only hearing Ben's side of the story. We can speculate all we want about him, but none of us has a crystal ball that is going to predict this kid's future performance/attitude as a Pittsburgh Steeler.

I also think we need to realize that whether this guy is a professional athlete or not, underneath it all he is human just like the rest of us and has/will make mistakes in his life. Haven't we all? The true test is whether or not he will learn from his mistakes, get his head on straight and become a valuable asset to the greatest and one of the most respected organizations in the NFL. The ball is in his court now - let's at least give him a chance to see what he does with it.

The only problem I have with that is this. Holmes has shown an inability to learn from mistakes already. He mouths off to a cop in Miami. Maybe the cop was hasselling him and maybe he just lost his temper. Now he lays his hands on the mother of his child?

I'm sorry, but there's never an excuse to lay your hands on a woman like he did. Grow up and learn to control your temper Holmes.

BB2W
07-14-2006, 12:13 PM
As long as Ben can throw and Santonio can catch... I could care less how close they are off the field. :smile:

Livinginthe past
07-14-2006, 12:41 PM
When he answered maybe I will, maybe I won't it was in regards to riding a bike again. It had nothing to do with the helmet.

And how do you come up with the "his heart isn't in it" comment? I don't know what interview you watched, maybe it was the Doug Flutie retirement one. But the kid has the heart, desire, and determination it takes to be, not just a football player but a STEELER! And his heart is in it, not just professionally but for his friends and family too! He is fully aware of everything that could have happened and is now focused on what is important, making history and celebrating his "Free Spirit" that makes him a Champion!

Im afraid im going to have to disagree with you on what he was talking about.

He said he might ride a motorcycle again and he might not, but, if he does, he likely will wear a helmet. But he also said sometimes he might not.

The first part of this paragraph is where he says he might/might not ride a bike again, and that if he does he will likely wear a helmet.

Then he immediately follows on from that by saying "sometimes he might not" - he is still talking about the helmet.

Ben has not backed down one iota in my opinion - all this talk of being a 'free spirit' is quite frankly BS that is covering up what he is trying to say.

There is a subtle hint that he thinks Cowher is behind him in his efforts to be an individual and a free spirit - to me this means keeping the stauts quo.

Time will tell if he wises up or not.

When I referred to bens 'heart not being in it' I meant the statements he made about his bike riding - not his football.

Ben will still be a hell of a competitor on the football field.

NM

Mosca
07-14-2006, 12:56 PM
I think what's misleading is the title to this thread, "Santonio...no love for Ben". It immediately puts a confrontational spin on something that is missing a whole lot of useful information.

Keep in mind, Holmes hasn't signed a contract yet. For all we know, he's jumping out of his skin in anticipation to play for the reigning champs, to catch passes from one of the premier young QBs in the league, to prove that he really is a solid guy. But conversing with the QB can also be seen as a weakening of an already damaged bargaining position. The agent knows that if he gets his guy too excited at this crucial juncture all it can do is cost him money... and lets face it that's the reason guys play, that's the reason owners have teams, that's the reason we get DirecTV and the reason that we budget hundreds and thousands of dollars for trips to the North Side.

It's a blast, speculating on all this stuff; I'm worried about the guy too, like most of us are. But I also have high hopes for him, I'm really pulling for him to be the kind of guy who can TCB. I believe that when it all plays out, this guy is going to be a real asset and all our fears will be just that, baseless fears. And if not, I trust that the Steelers will be just fine. Just like Glen Edwards didn't destroy the franchise. Actually I think the guys we got right now can take us all the way; Holmes is for later.

Tom

HometownGal
07-14-2006, 01:11 PM
The only problem I have with that is this. Holmes has shown an inability to learn from mistakes already. He mouths off to a cop in Miami. Maybe the cop was hasselling him and maybe he just lost his temper. Now he lays his hands on the mother of his child?

I'm sorry, but there's never an excuse to lay your hands on a woman like he did. Grow up and learn to control your temper Holmes.

I respect what you're saying here, Jeremy, but sometimes people do change for the better given the right motivation and environment. The Steelers are well known for their long standing history of employing and keeping athletes of good character an are apparently willing to at least take a chance on Holmes. I've trusted their judgment in the past and for now at least, I'm going to trust their judgment as well. All of his temper tantrums have been off the field and hopefully, he won't drag his personal trials and tribulations into the locker room, can become a productive player and teammate, and channel his energies into his role as a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Believe me - I'm not making excuses for the guy's behavior in the least. I'm just saying that I'm not going to make predictions on Holmes - I think it is premature at this point. I'm going to take the "wait and see" attitude and support him as a member of the black and gold until (and if) his behavior and play on the field warrants a change of opinion.

bmorganpa
07-14-2006, 01:22 PM

He said he might ride a motorcycle again and he might not, but, if he does, he likely will wear a helmet. But he also said sometimes he might not.

The first part of this paragraph is where he says he might/might not ride a bike again, and that if he does he will likely wear a helmet.

Then he immediately follows on from that by saying "sometimes he might not" - he is still talking about the helmet.

Ben has not backed down one iota in my opinion - all this talk of being a 'free spirit' is quite frankly BS that is covering up what he is trying to say.

There is a subtle hint that he thinks Cowher is behind him in his efforts to be an individual and a free spirit - to me this means keeping the stauts quo.

When I referred to bens 'heart not being in it' I meant the statements he made about his bike riding - not his football.

NM

JR: Are you still going to ride?
BR: I don't know. I am not even thinking about that right now. To me right now, like I said when I first started thinking about things, I started thinking about my family. Now that I am doing better and I feel good now, all I am thinking about is football and that is what is on my mind right now. I am getting healthy and I am getting better every day, so all I am thinking about is football. I am not thinking about anything else.

JR: Ben, like you said, you are lucky. You are lucky. As bad as it was, how is there even a choice here? Why is anything important enough to risk and get back on that bike?
BR: Like I said, I don't know. I am not thinking about that risk again because right now, I have a football season coming up and that is what is most important to me right now. To answer your question, I am not thinking about what could happen.

JR: I get that you're not thinking about it, but you aren't telling me that you won't do it again. Right? You might ride again.
BR: You never know.

JR: With or without a helmet?
BR: With a helmet.

klick81
07-14-2006, 01:27 PM
BR: I don't know. I am not even thinking about that right now. To me right now, like I said when I first started thinking about things, I started thinking about my family. Now that I am doing better and I feel good now, all I am thinking about is football and that is what is on my mind right now. I am getting healthy and I am getting better every day, so all I am thinking about is football. I am not thinking about anything else.

JR: Ben, like you said, you are lucky. You are lucky. As bad as it was, how is there even a choice here? Why is anything important enough to risk and get back on that bike?
BR: Like I said, I don't know. I am not thinking about that risk again because right now, I have a football season coming up and that is what is most important to me right now. To answer your question, I am not thinking about what could happen.

JR: I get that you're not thinking about it, but you aren't telling me that you won't do it again. Right? You might ride again.

Welp, that settled that :smile:

klick81
07-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Nice first post, by the way.

Big D
07-14-2006, 01:39 PM
I respect what you're saying here, Jeremy, but sometimes people do change for the better given the right motivation and environment. The Steelers are well known for their long standing history of employing and keeping athletes of good character an are apparently willing to at least take a chance on Holmes. I've trusted their judgment in the past and for now at least, I'm going to trust their judgment as well. All of his temper tantrums have been off the field and hopefully, he won't drag his personal trials and tribulations into the locker room, can become a productive player and teammate, and channel his energies into his role as a Pittsburgh Steeler.

Believe me - I'm not making excuses for the guy's behavior in the least. I'm just saying that I'm not going to make predictions on Holmes - I think it is premature at this point. I'm going to take the "wait and see" attitude and support him as a member of the black and gold until (and if) his behavior and play on the field warrants a change of opinion.
i'm not fueling a fire here, but he has no reason to be stood up for in the least bit. Lets see he's been arrested twice since the draft and now he is ignoring the face or our franchise. I have no respect for this man and I strongly believe we wasted a pick on this criminal

Lyn
07-14-2006, 01:42 PM
I don't care who my cable guy sleeps with as long as I can get HBO:rolleyes:

SteelersMongol
07-14-2006, 01:50 PM

I've read all your oponions guys. Being raised in the community where age and experince matter and draw huge respect, then I don't like the way Holmes ignored Ben.

And I totally agree with HometownGal. Every man deserves a chance or two in his life. When the man is down already, we don't have to kick and stomp on him. Let's watch him for a season or two, and see what he can offer us. If he is no good, I'm sure Mr. Rooney and Coach won't be just keeping him.

About Ben's comment in public, if I was Ben I would've done exactly the same, when some rookie kid is showing off. Yes, I would tell fans and the group about what they are getting, and where is this kid heading.

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Every last one of us has made multiple mistakes and been given second chance after second chance. But our mistakes aren't placed under the microscope like those made by professional athletes. Pro athletes know that whatever they do is going to be covered by the media and mistakes will take on a whole new meaning.

However, Sntonio Holmes put his hands on a woman in anger. Not just a woman, but the mother of one of his children. I'm sorry, but that cements his character in my mind.

Big D
07-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Every last one of us has made multiple mistakes and been given second chance after second chance. But our mistakes aren't placed under the microscope like those made by professional athletes. Pro athletes know that whatever they do is going to be covered by the media and mistakes will take on a whole new meaning.

However, Sntonio Holmes put his hands on a woman in anger. Not just a woman, but the mother of one of his children. I'm sorry, but that cements his character in my mind.
EXACTLY!!!! you talk about second chances this kid has had his fair share. He has an arrest record going back to his days at ohio state. Two arrests since the draft. 3 kids with 3 different women. Come on lets lighten up on being such homers and see this for what it is

Livinginthe past
07-14-2006, 01:59 PM

Nice post.

How come we have copnflicting reports about what was said?

I havent seen the interview, im relying on transcripts from the original article.

NM

HometownGal
07-14-2006, 02:13 PM
i'm not fueling a fire here, but he has no reason to be stood up for in the least bit. Lets see he's been arrested twice since the draft and now he is ignoring the face or our franchise. I have no respect for this man and I strongly believe we wasted a pick on this criminal

I respect how you feel here, D, but I'm still going to give him a chance to prove himself worthy of wearing a Steelers uniform instead of closing the door on him before seeing what he can do ON THE FIELD, which is what he will be paid to do. Hopefully, he will straighten up and be an asset to the Steelers' offense instead of a locker room liability.

Yes, it is true that all of us have made mistakes in our lives - some that we are truly ashamed of, I'm sure, and the old saying "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" is coming to mind here. Not a slam on you, Jeremy, just how I am seeing some of the comments going around. Just because he is a professional athlete doesn't mean he isn't a human being first or immune to personal crisis. I don't support anyone - whether male or female - throwing someone to the ground, but all of the facts surrounding that situation haven't yet totally come out and if I remember correctly, the "victim" suddenly wanted to drop the charges (and still is involved in a relationship with Holmes), which lends suspect to her claims in the first place, imho.

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 02:16 PM
I'm certainly not perfect and I've made a lot of mistakes. But my wife has never called 911 to report me abusing her.

And let me be very honest, I didn't like this pick from the start. I didn't like trading up to get Holmes and I didn't like the fact that it was him we were trading up to get. I wanted Sinorce Moss. I'm willing to see how well he plays, but my I've already gotten all the impressions I need of him as a person.

Big D
07-14-2006, 02:17 PM
hometown gal. if you dont mind me asking do you have a daughter

Lyn
07-14-2006, 02:30 PM
I'm certainly not perfect and I've made a lot of mistakes. But my wife has never called 911 to report me abusing her.

And let me be very honest, I didn't like this pick from the start. I didn't like trading up to get Holmes and I didn't like the fact that it was him we were trading up to get. I wanted Sinorce Moss. I'm willing to see how well he plays, but my I've already gotten all the impressions I need of him as a person.

Ditto, Kiddo! :)

CantStop85
07-14-2006, 02:37 PM
I might get yelled at for this but...maybe Santonio is thinking, "why am I going to return a call and get a lecture on my life from a guy who's not smart enough to stop riding his motorcycle or even wear a helmet." Don't kill me, it's just a theory.

I don't see Santonio and Ben's personalities meshing together too well at this point. If Santonio's not willing to be a teammate off the field, how's that going to work out when he's on the field?

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Because he's your quaterback, that's why.

Big D
07-14-2006, 02:39 PM
I might get yelled at for this but...maybe Santonio is thinking, "why am I going to return a call and get a lecture on my life from a guy who's not smart enough to stop riding his motorcycle or even wear a helmet." Don't kill me, it's just a theory.

I don't see Santonio and Ben's personalities meshing together too well at this point. If Santonio's not willing to be a teammate off the field, how's that going to work out when he's on the field?
if that is the way hes thinking he has a stubburn ass mentality. And i think you have to have a on the field off the field relationship. otherwise you turn into t.o. and donovan. a qb and wr should have trust on and off the field in my opinion

SteelCityMan786
07-14-2006, 02:42 PM

His foot won't touch Heinz Field in Black and Gold if he keeps acting like this.

HometownGal
07-14-2006, 02:44 PM
hometown gal. if you dont mind me asking do you have a daughter

No, D - don't mind you asking at all.

Yes - I have a grown daughter and I was physically abused during my first marriage, as was my son. While I will never forget what my ex did, I have forgiven it and have moved on with my life, as has my son with his. I filed charges against him and didn't back down on those charges. Because I was (in time) able to let go of the hurt and anger, I was able to walk forward instead of being pulled back.

Big D
07-14-2006, 02:45 PM
His foot won't touch Heinz Field in Black and Gold if he keeps acting like this.
At this point I maybe in the minority here but I hope he doesnt. I dont want to turn into the bengals.

Big D
07-14-2006, 02:46 PM
No, D - don't mind you asking at all.

Yes - I have a grown daughter and I was physically abused during my first marriage, as was my son. While I will never forget what my ex did, I have forgiven it and have moved on with my life, as has my son with his. I filed charges against him and didn't back down on those charges. Because I was (in time) able to let go of the hurt and anger, I was able to walk forward instead of being pulled back.
Ok lets put it into this perspective. If your daughter was the mother of his children would you still forgive him and give him this second chance. I guess it maybe my south dakota morals but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES do you ever hit a woman.

HometownGal
07-14-2006, 02:48 PM

I wasn't thrilled with the pick either, Jeremy. I, too, preferred Sinorce Moss, but it is what it is and us bickering back and forth about it isn't going to change the fact that at least for the present, he's a Steeler and is now under the microscope of the Rooneys and Cowher. Looking back, that's one pretty heavy duty microscope! :smile:

HometownGal
07-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Ok lets put it into this perspective. If your daughter was the mother of his children would you still forgive him and give him this second chance. I guess it maybe my south dakota morals but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES do you ever hit a woman.

If my daughter was telling the truth and I had concrete proof that my daughter was being abused and she didn't back down or change her story about what really happened, I would personally open a gallon sized jug of whoop ass on the guy. This is not the case with the Holmes issue, at least not at the present. Holmes' girlfriend and the mother of his child refused to testify at the prelim and is still involved in a relationship with Holmes from all reports given thus far.

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 02:59 PM
I wasn't thrilled with the pick either, Jeremy. I, too, preferred Sinorce Moss, but it is what it is and us bickering back and forth about it isn't going to change the fact that at least for the present, he's a Steeler and is now under the microscope of the Rooneys and Cowher. Looking back, that's one pretty heavy duty microscope! :smile:

Hopefully he can shape up, but I'm not holding my breath.

Big D
07-14-2006, 03:01 PM
ok but to answer my question would you be as forgiving as you are with the situation the way it is

HometownGal
07-14-2006, 03:07 PM
ok but to answer my question would you be as forgiving as you are with the situation the way it is

The way what is, D? Again - the facts of the case are blurred, it hasn't gone to trial yet and the alleged "victim" refuses to testify and is still involved in a relationship with Holmes. Let me ask you this. If you had a daughter (don't know if you do or not) and she accused her b/f of abuse but refused to testify against him and still maintained a relationship with him, would you have your doubts and/or slap the snot out of her (not literally of course) for staying with a purportedly abusive man?

Koopa
07-14-2006, 03:10 PM

there's an osu player for you..if we would've went the smart way and took lendale we'd have future pro bowl running back, instead we have a screw up that won't last his full contract. willie reid must be licking his chops right now cause he's gonna be the better of the two

X-Terminator
07-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Look, I don't like the fact that Santonio has been arrested twice and has dissed Ben any more than anyone else. But I'm not going to sit here and endlessly bash the guy and I'm willing to give him a chance to get his act together once he gets into camp. As for building a rapport with Ben, why does it even matter at this point? One thing that seems to have gotten lost in all this is that he was not brought in to be the #1 receiver, or even the #2 guy - Hines and Cedric are going to be the starters going in. I, like HometownGal, believe that once J. Peezy, the Chin and Co. sit him down, they will straighten him out real fast.

Big D
07-14-2006, 03:12 PM
The way what is, D? Again - the facts of the case are blurred, it hasn't gone to trial yet and the alleged "victim" refuses to testify and is still involved in a relationship with Holmes. Let me ask you this. If you had a daughter (don't know if you do or not) and she accused her b/f of abuse but refused to testify against him and still maintained a relationship with him, would you have your doubts and/or slap the snot out of her (not literally of course) for staying with a purportedly abusive man?
ahh, I didnt want to bring this out.. No i dont have a daughter but i do have a sister that went through a very similar situation. My sister was in love with a guy who used to beat her senseless. She did call the cops and filed charges but when the court day came she refused to testify and wanted charges dropped. Although she never told me directly why she did what she did you can only assume two things. One she is scared to leave him or two shes in love with him. And sorry my boss was by me so i was trying to be as short as i could with my responses. when i said the way it is I was referring to the fact it isnt someone you know

Big D
07-14-2006, 03:16 PM
I guess since i've had a personal situation very similar to this is why I take this more seriously and why i'm against him. I know its innocent till proven guilty but things are pretty concrete here

HometownGal
07-14-2006, 03:35 PM
ahh, I didnt want to bring this out.. No i dont have a daughter but i do have a sister that went through a very similar situation. My sister was in love with a guy who used to beat her senseless. She did call the cops and filed charges but when the court day came she refused to testify and wanted charges dropped. Although she never told me directly why she did what she did you can only assume two things. One she is scared to leave him or two shes in love with him. And sorry my boss was by me so i was trying to be as short as i could with my responses. when i said the way it is I was referring to the fact it isnt someone you know

First, I am so sorry about your sister, D. As I mentioned above, she and I have something in common here. I don't want to go back and forth over this issue endlessly because it is cluttering up the thread - we aren't going to agree with each other no matter what on this subject, so it's best to let it go and let the chips fall where they may with regard to Santonio Holmes. The trial has not been conducted yet and I'm not proclaiming guilt on this guy until all the facts are out there. Maybe I watched too many Perry Mason re-runs as a kid or something - LOL! :smile:

All I can say is this. Imho - there is no amount of "love" out there worth being used as a punching bag. There are a lot of men out there who are abused by their female partners, as well, but you rarely ever hear about it. I hope your sister at some point can find it within herself to gather up all of her inner strength and walk away from this guy. Without even knowing her, I'll be rooting for her. :smile:

stlrtruck
07-14-2006, 03:55 PM

NM

I would suggest you watch the video of the full interview. It is definitely pointed out that he talks about riding that he may or may not but that he will definitely wear a helmet.

At least that's what I got from watching it.

silver & black
07-14-2006, 04:17 PM
I hope he wakes up and realizes how lucky he is just to be in the NFL, let alone with the Steeler organization.

You have to wonder how a person can be so blessed, and literaly have the world by the tail, and not seem to realise how fortunate they are. Some people seem destined to screw s**t up, no matter what... lets hope he isn't one them.

Big D
07-14-2006, 04:30 PM
I hope he wakes up and realizes how lucky he is just to be in the NFL, let alone with the Steeler organization.

You have to wonder how a person can be so blessed, and literaly have the world by the tail, and not seem to realise how fortunate they are. Some people seem destined to screw s**t up, no matter what... lets hope he isn't one them.
i'm sure you know what we are going through being a raider fan. Wasnt it darrel russell that they had all those problems with a few years back

stlrtruck
07-14-2006, 04:35 PM

And if he does end up being one of them, we can always ship he out to Oakland where they embrace the criminal element like it was Christmas.

silver & black
07-14-2006, 04:47 PM
He went to Ohio State, what the hell do you expect from him?

They breed criminals & cheats in Columbus
Yea, right along side all the great players that have come out of Ohio State.

What a dumbass comment.:rolleyes:

Big D
07-14-2006, 04:50 PM
like eddie george etc.....

silver & black
07-14-2006, 05:02 PM
i'm sure you know what we are going through being a raider fan. Wasnt it darrel russell that they had all those problems with a few years back
Yep... I feel your pain. He was another who could have been an outstanding player if he could have gotten his head on straight. I don't care what team these type of guys play for, it is a shame that they can't seem to get it togeather. You would think that the lives some of these guys have lived, the way they grew up, with literally nothing... they would be down right eager to work hard and give it their all to succeed. Cheese and Rice man, I would almost kill for an opportunity like they have!

Big D
07-14-2006, 05:05 PM
yeah it really seriously pisses me off. I see these athletes on tv for the stupid shit they do and literally watch them lose millions for it. Meanwhile us the every day blue collar americans are working or asses off or sitting in offices playing around all day on the steelerfever website. They dont realize how good they have it

silver & black
07-14-2006, 05:05 PM
And if he does end up being one of them, we can always ship he out to Oakland where they embrace the criminal element like it was Christmas.
Thanks for your well thought out commentary.:rolleyes:

Dragon
07-15-2006, 02:09 PM
As long as Ben can throw and Santonio can catch... I could care less how close they are off the field. :smile:

I hope that they solve this problem during TC. In my book the most of the succesfull QB/WR teams has always spend a lot of time together outside the official TC sessions.

Running routes and getting the called plays done are not the only thing that matters. Once in a while when a play breaks down and a QB have to look for alternative options it is important that the QB and his wideouts knows how the others react in order to be succesfull.

This knowledge comes from working and spending time together - getting to know each other so well that they are able to predict each others actions. The QB and his WR's are a TEAM and if Holmes does not want to be a PART of that team, he is not going to be a Steeler for long

CowherLover
07-15-2006, 02:44 PM
OK , listen up!
OSU Haters: Here's a tissue for your little issue :crying01: Most of you don't like OSU because they've beaten your team at some point :nana:. Get over it! Koop, you know we're takin it to ya this year so I know what your problem is. :checkit:

I have admitted to being a homer so obviously that means I pay attention to OSU and its players. Big D, you've made mention before about his "prior record" and we discussed it but you've obviously forgotten what we've discussed. So be it , you guys are going to draw your own conclusions as to his character but I'm going to emphasize what I've observed for the 3 years of watching him. He has a good work ethic and he's never caused a problem in the locker room. I don't know who keeps making reference to him having kids by 3 different women, but for the LAST time it's 3 kids with 2 women. That isn't even an issue to me and the people it does matter to seem ridiculous. Get the facts straight before you rip someone.

For those of you who thinks that one person can poison the locker room must not have a whole lot of faith in the rest of the players and personnel that have been there for quite some time.

slashsteel
07-15-2006, 04:53 PM
For all the "fans" who have already written off SH I say.

Let the man fricken suit up for a game and play before we cast judgement. Damn interesting all the negativity.

First of all he didn't return a phone call, so f-in what! The kid has a lot on his plate. Holmes and Ben will have plenty of time to bond at camp. And this could be a motivational ploy ? You have to wait and see how well he performs and if there is any more incidents before you throw stones. Both arrests were pretty damn weak IMO. Some of you are a bunch of judgemental jumping the gun mofos. For these fans I hope one day get slammed with anything that you didn't do.

....and last I have no problem with Ben trying to motivate. He is a leader he is simply doing just that. However he sees fit. His leadership helped pave the way so far, so he must be doing something right!

SteelCzar76
07-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Couldn't have said it any better Slash. (Damn,...i promised myself i wouldn't touch this topic again)

"Hail Caesar,...Hail the Black and gold"
"Protected by Zeus,.....Stand Back"

SteelShooter
07-16-2006, 12:43 AM
...I am going to go pick up Arkie and his arsenal and head to the 'burgh

I Wanna go too!
I have a noise-maker or two laying around!

Prosdo
07-16-2006, 06:27 AM
Santonio needs to straighten his act up big time. He is part of an organization that does not put up with shady characters. He is getting a wonderful oppurtunity and hopefully will wise up. As for writing him off, I'm not quite there yet.

Atlanta Dan
07-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Gene Collier from the P-G pretty much sums up my view on Holmes not returning Ben's calls.

Roethlisberger doubtless feels he flashed some leadership potential with that gesture, and this is not to argue, but if Bill Cowher sat down tonight and made a short list of people he's close to being out of patience with, the first name after Holmes might well be Roethlisberger.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06197/706159-150.stm

I obviously am relieved Ben appears to have come out of his collision with no long term impact on his health, but there are more credible memebers of the team than Ben when it comes to providing guidance to Holmes on not engaging in self-destructive behavior.

When training camp starts, we hopefully can get past distractions and look forward to the pursuit of another ring.

SteelerzGirl
07-16-2006, 01:17 PM

Santonio should have returned Ben's calls. It was simply rude not to. It's just common courtesy.

Big D
07-17-2006, 04:48 PM
For all the "fans" who have already written off SH I say.

Let the man fricken suit up for a game and play before we cast judgement. Damn interesting all the negativity.

First of all he didn't return a phone call, so f-in what! The kid has a lot on his plate. Holmes and Ben will have plenty of time to bond at camp. And this could be a motivational ploy ? You have to wait and see how well he performs and if there is any more incidents before you throw stones. Both arrests were pretty damn weak IMO. Some of you are a bunch of judgemental jumping the gun mofos. For these fans I hope one day get slammed with anything that you didn't do.

....and last I have no problem with Ben trying to motivate. He is a leader he is simply doing just that. However he sees fit. His leadership helped pave the way so far, so he must be doing something right!
Yes he didnt return a phone call which i'm sure we all do at some point during the day. But heres my point. I think that holmes need this relationship from ben not only personally but professionaly. There has to be trust between these two guys other wise we have another owens/garcia and owens/mcnabb situation. I think we have plenty on our plate besides this. Being in the public eye comming straight off a huge superbowl win is going to be hard enough. And I would hardly call beating the mother of your kid a weak arrest

Ambridge
07-17-2006, 05:39 PM
I haven't read through all nine pages of this thread so forgive me if anyone else has said this but sometime during training camp Ben needs to fire a big "fastball" into Santonio's chest when he's not looking..........and then nicely remind him I'm the QB who Might throw the ball to you during a game..........that's if I feel like throwing to you in your Kordell Stewart Jersey.........you Jackass!!

SteelerFanInCA
07-17-2006, 06:53 PM
He just needs a couple of weeks with the boys. They will whip his ass into shape. :boxing:

slashsteel
07-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Yes he didnt return a phone call which i'm sure we all do at some point during the day. But heres my point. I think that holmes need this relationship from ben not only personally but professionaly. There has to be trust between these two guys other wise we have another owens/garcia and owens/mcnabb situation. I think we have plenty on our plate besides this. Being in the public eye comming straight off a huge superbowl win is going to be hard enough. And I would hardly call beating the mother of your kid a weak arrest

That trust hasn't had time to develop yet. The two haven't even gotten past one training camp yet. Again don't read so much into one article !

Beating the mother of your child ? Again you are insinuating that he is guilty. Someone anyone please charge this moronic child who I am wasting brain cells on with anything under the sun. Then we all will proceed to call him guilty for his rest of his wonderful stay here at SF.

As far as anything developing into something remotely like the Owens situation. This is the Steelers organization we would never let anything get to that point.

clevestinks
07-17-2006, 08:12 PM
I`ve said this before, I`m not happy with this pick, I was on draft day, but since draft day, his stock has been dropping. This is a one contract Steeler if you ask me. Whe have no choice but to sign him, then he`ll be gone. I thought we were better judges of character??? I hope he changes, but I doubt it.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-17-2006, 08:20 PM
I`ve said this before, I`m not happy with this pick, I was on draft day, but since draft day, his stock has been dropping. This is a one contract Steeler if you ask me. Whe have no choice but to sign him, then he`ll be gone. I thought we were better judges of character??? I hope he changes, but I doubt it.

Well I'm not giving up on Santonio just yet. Big reason is I really wanted the Steelers to draft this guy. I liked him in college and was excited when the Steelers traded up to get him. But I was disappointed in his two arrests. Now him ignoring Ben and not returning his calls is just plain stupid. I guess Santonio really doesn't want the football to much his rookie year.

clevestinks
07-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Well I'm not giving up on Santonio just yet. Big reason is I really wanted the Steelers to draft this guy. I liked him in college and was excited when the Steelers traded up to get him. But I was disappointed in his two arrests. Now him ignoring Ben and not returning his calls is just plain stupid. I guess Santonio really doesn't want the football to much his rookie year.
I`m sorry if it sounded as if I`m giving up on him already. Not entirely. But there seesm to be so many questions that he needs to answer. I`m surprised the Steelers did not research this guy more. Then we moved up to get him?? Not very Steeler like.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-17-2006, 08:30 PM
I`m sorry if it sounded as if I`m giving up on him already. Not entirely. But there seesm to be so many questions that he needs to answer. I`m surprised the Steelers did not research this guy more. Then we moved up to get him?? Not very Steeler like.

Cleve my man no need to say sorry bro. I don't blame you or any other Steelers fan for giving up on Holmes. The path Santonio is heading down isn't good one thats for sure if he continues his thuggish ways. I just always hope the best for people even if they seem to be lost causes. So I might be the one to say sorry down the road.

clevestinks
07-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Cleve my man no need to say sorry bro. I don't blame you or any other Steelers fan for giving up on Holmes. The path Santonio is heading down isn't good one thats for sure if he continues his thuggish ways. I just always hope the best for people even if they seem to be lost causes. So I might be the one to say sorry down the road.
I`m just afraid that he has already embarrassed the Rooneys to the point that he won`t last here. With our luck he `ll play great, but continue to be a pain. And end of contract the Rooneys say " Theres the door" Then his draft pick was wasted. He should feel so lucky to get drafted by such a winning franchise, that has one of the best young QB`s around.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-17-2006, 08:42 PM
I`m just afraid that he has already embarrassed the Rooneys to the point that he won`t last here. With our luck he `ll play great, but continue to be a pain. And end of contract the Rooneys say " Theres the door" Then his draft pick was wasted. He should feel so lucky to get drafted by such a winning franchise, that has one of the best young QB`s around.

Very good post and points and totally agree with everything with what you said. But the only good thing about Holme's arrests is we really have him and his agent in a corner really when it comes time to sign a contract. I'm sure the Steelers will have some conduct off the field clauses in his contract and I think Santonio can kiss any chance of signing bonus good bye. Also if he and his agent don't like the contract offer. I say let him sit out a year and enter the draft again next year. Yea it would suck to waste a first round pick. But that could be the easy way to solve future problems.

Atlanta Dan
07-17-2006, 11:06 PM
I haven't read through all nine pages of this thread so forgive me if anyone else has said this but sometime during training camp Ben needs to fire a big "fastball" into Santonio's chest when he's not looking..........and then nicely remind him I'm the QB who Might throw the ball to you during a game..........that's if I feel like throwing to you in your Kordell Stewart Jersey.........you Jackass!!

Yeah - we should have anticipated the bad karma associated with anyone wearing #10 for the Black & Gold (Kordell and Roy Gerela). Does anyone know if Holmes was given that jersey # as a goof for practice or whether he will wear it - I thought WRs were required by the league to have #s in the 80s.

If someone assigned #10 to Holmes in rookie camp that coach has a sick sense of humor.

tony hipchest
07-17-2006, 11:11 PM
If someone assigned #10 to Holmes in rookie camp that coach has a sick sense of humor.

i think holmes wanted that # cause he will prove to be the 10th best wr in this years draft.

Atlanta Dan
07-17-2006, 11:14 PM

The Steelers traditionally do not like to spend big on WRs but lose their mind from time to time in the draft when selecting WRs - maybe it is because they almost always have emphasized the run that they appear lost when it comes to drafting WRs.

Plax was a head case but at least he had talent (even though the Steelers messed with his head by immediately trying to swap Plax for Chad Penningtton on draft day after they passed on Pennington to draft Burress).

However, until now I thought Troy Edwards could not be touched in terms of the Black & Gold wasting a #1 pick on a WR. That pick of a non-talent in an effort to hype the Slash/Tzak passing game (which apparently still irks Hines Ward) was a total wipeout.

tony hipchest
07-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Plax was a head case but at least he had talent (even though the Steelers messed with his head by immediately trying to swap Plax for Chad Penningtton on draft day after they passed on Pennington to draft Burress).

could you imagine urlacher in the black and gold? (steelers passed on him and pennington for plax) k. bell woulda never been drafted and l. foote would still be a back up or playing for the patriots.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-18-2006, 12:28 AM
Thunder is a Titan.

This just in...I'm in the lead for the broken record ESPY.

Big D
07-18-2006, 08:55 AM
That trust hasn't had time to develop yet. The two haven't even gotten past one training camp yet. Again don't read so much into one article !

Beating the mother of your child ? Again you are insinuating that he is guilty. Someone anyone please charge this moronic child who I am wasting brain cells on with anything under the sun. Then we all will proceed to call him guilty for his rest of his wonderful stay here at SF.

As far as anything developing into something remotely like the Owens situation. This is the Steelers organization we would never let anything get to that point.
First of all the facts and the arrest report dont look like they are in his favor. And the point i'm trying to get across is we dont need any distractions. I think we have enough that we dont need holmes to add to it

HometownGal
07-18-2006, 09:40 AM
First of all the facts and the arrest report dont look like they are in his favor. And the point i'm trying to get across is we dont need any distractions. I think we have enough that we dont need holmes to add to it

While I agree wholeheartedly with you that the team doesn't need any more distractions going into a hopeful repeat SB season, until he is found guilty at his trial on August 15th, I'm not going to persecute him. As I've mentioned several times, the one fact that stands out here to me is that the mother of his child refuses to testify against him and wanted the charged dropped. She didn't go to the emergency room for treatment for her "injuries" and also still maintains a relationship with Holmes which puts a gigantic hole in her credibility in the first place. I'm certain his attorney will focus on those issues which are suspect, legally relevant and damaging to the state's case. I read somewhere just yesterday that the case may be dismissed because the state doesn't have enough evidence without the alleged victim's testimony. If I can find the link again, I'll be sure to post it.

If the trial does proceed and there is enough solid evidence that Holmes is indeed guilty here, I hope they prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law and the Rooneys toss him out on his arse.

Big D
07-18-2006, 09:47 AM
santonio aside. I think we have dealt with way to many distractions this year. I would have loved going into this season without the Ben accident and holmes controversy. Where the biggest distraction comming out of the offseason was how the steelers planned on moving on without the bus