PDA

View Full Version : Report: Steelers May have Interest in Plaxico Burress

Deserei90
03-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Here we go again. Jason Cole from Yahoo Sports reported tonight via Twitter that both the Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Giants might have interest in unrestricted free agent Plaxico Burress. Burress signed a one-year deal late last July with the New York Jets after making a free agent visit to Pittsburgh.
Full Story: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/SteelersDepotBlog/~3/pFTWdQwWsE4/

steeltheone
03-01-2012, 12:23 AM
No Way...He played us last year....BYE BYE Plex

tony hipchest
03-01-2012, 12:48 AM
he wants to join the "dream team" in east PA.

Lady Steel
03-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Won't happen.

PhantomJB93
03-01-2012, 01:07 AM
If we don't manage to resign Wallace, I could see it, but the release of Hines indicates to me that we're doing everything in our power to keep Mike.

StainlessStill
03-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Hah, after all of what happened last year? Why waste our time? Jericho Cotchery, please!

ricardisimo
03-01-2012, 03:33 AM
If we don't manage to resign Wallace, I could see it, but the release of Hines indicates to me that we're doing everything in our power to keep Mike.
I suspect that cutting Ward may have had more to do with keeping Crotchety. Jerricho may feel like he has a legit shot at #3 now, maybe even #2 if Wallace leaves and Sanders can't stay healthy. Plaxico will never wear a Steelers uniform again.

Kingmagyar
03-01-2012, 08:39 AM
The one thing I do worry about with Cotchery is his history of drops. He had a team-high nine drops his last year in NY. That's crazy.

He did drop a crucial pass in the playoff game at Denver in the red zone that could have kept a drive going or even gone for a TD. Cotchery is a great guy but sometimes those ugly histories rear their ugly head in crucial situations like playoff games. I would worry about that going forward.

If we lose Wallace I would definitely consider Burress. Ironic for Cotchery though if Burress joins the Steelers and forces him out here. Burress would be the #2 from day one and that would interest Burress in the Steelers. So it's not an impossibility. Plus Burress and Ben back together again. The man would win games for us.

LayingTheWoodley56
03-01-2012, 10:03 AM
If we can't keep Wallace then it wouldn't be a bad move to get a big red-zone target like that. Even if we lose Cotch and keep Wallace, we could do worse than Plax as our 4th wideout. That being said, I don't see it happening.

LayingTheWoodley56
03-01-2012, 10:07 AM
The one thing I do worry about with Cotchery is his history of drops. He had a team-high nine drops his last year in NY. That's crazy.

He did drop a crucial pass in the playoff game at Denver in the red zone that could have kept a drive going or even gone for a TD. Cotchery is a great guy but sometimes those ugly histories rear their ugly head in crucial situations like playoff games. I would worry about that going forward.

If we lose Wallace I would definitely consider Burress. Ironic for Cotchery though if Burress joins the Steelers and forces him out here. Burress would be the #2 from day one and that would interest Burress in the Steelers. So it's not an impossibility. Plus Burress and Ben back together again. The man would win games for us.

How do you remember Cotchery's drop in Denver (which I don't) and not that gritty, miraculous touchdown catch that tied the game? That's when Cotch's value reared its beautiful head.

We wouldn't bring back Plax over Cotchery if Cotch wants to come back. Clearly, the organization was impressed with what Cotchery showed last year. And there's no way that Plax, even if signed, would be put above Sanders on the depth chart. Living in NY, I watched Burress a lot this year and at this stage in his career, he's much better suited to being a #3/red zone guy than he is to being a starter. It'd be incredibly foolish to put a 35-year-old guy who left town 8 years ahead of a young stud on the depth chart.

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 10:32 AM
I suspect that cutting Ward may have had more to do with keeping Crotchety. Jerricho may feel like he has a legit shot at #3 now, maybe even #2 if Wallace leaves and Sanders can't stay healthy. Plaxico will never wear a Steelers uniform again.

And I honestly think Cotch will be a great player for us in production and in the locker room.

Steel Peon
03-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Jericho Cotchery, please!
Cotchery has to love all the support he's getting from Steeler fans........Jericho FTW!

Curtain_of_Steel
03-01-2012, 10:52 AM
Well a #4 on this team has a shot at #3 due to Sanders injury issues. Plus I think you will see a number of plays with 4 wr's. The only problem is, Ben doesn't have aenough time to check down 3 routes and hit the 4th due to the fact he would be laying down after the 1st check down.

I would be ok with Burress as a #4 if the price is right, the price will be upwards of 2.5-3mill for 2-3 years. He behaved himself last year in a tough environment with a QB that is not much of anything.

Set-Man
03-01-2012, 12:45 PM
I would only see this if they cannot sign Cotchery. He is a great fit for our offense - different than the other receivers. Burress only as a last resort. Why would we want him and his baggage? This is a ploy to get Cotchery to sign.

steeltheone
03-01-2012, 12:47 PM
And I honestly think Cotch will be a great player for us in production and in the locker room.

Good Player ...Great players are hard to come by....

Rick5895
03-01-2012, 02:19 PM
I hope they ignore Plax. We let him go once before because of his "issues" why bring him back. Want to get a receiver that has good value for the talent, go get Colston.

Fire Arians
03-01-2012, 02:21 PM
no thanks. want cotchery instead

LVSteelersfan
03-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Screw that. Spend some real money and go after Vincent Jackson. He is young and much better than Plaxico ever was. I know that is a pipe dream with the Steelers, but Jackson would look great in the black and gold. We would be absolutely unstoppable. I know we have cap issues and they would never get him, but if Wallace goes, then maybe the cap issues are quite as bad.

StainlessStill
03-01-2012, 03:36 PM
no thanks. want cotchery instead

Agreed 100%. Jets fans acted like we are acting here with Hines being gone when Cotch left them and Cotchery is still in his PRIME as a wideout. Cotch fits PERFECTLY with us and they are saying he's had good production today discussing a new contract for the Steelers. I hope it happens!

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 03:45 PM
Good Player ...Great players are hard to come by....

There's no way to know that, he's rarely had to opportunity to play. He did great with the Jets, and I think he'll do great next year.

ricardisimo
03-01-2012, 04:42 PM
Who was throwing him the ball in NY? These details matter.

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 04:50 PM
I'd rather have Cotchery than Plax to be honest.

tanda10506
03-01-2012, 05:19 PM

This^

StainlessStill
03-01-2012, 06:21 PM

All day. Plax is becoming more of a red-zone type threat than anything so I don't think the money is worth it anymore to sign him.

He never was really a scrappy WR to go with his big frame and sooner or later, that's going to catch up with him. Cotchery on the other hand, is pretty strong in every category. He's a more complete WR than Plax IMHO and will go after those tough balls to move the chains as well as be physical in the running game when the time is right. Also, I like his ability to get open and get Y.A.C. He has a quickness to him but is STRONG in stature. If we can sign Cotch long-term, he'll fill Hines's shoes in quite nicely for what it's worth.

FrancoLambert
03-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Cotchery vs. Plax, it's a no-brainer.

Plax is done; a very limited red-zone target at best.

And with his attitude, who needs him. Haley won't.

I'd much rather stock the WR position via draft or free agency.

SteelCity4Life
03-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Why would we be looking for more Wr's? To fill a gap or have a reliable backup...I could see it. But we need to make a decision on Wallace before thinking of others.

Cotchery can stay! Some people are forgetting about the GAME TYING TOUCHDOWN in the playoffs.

How about some guys added for the O line?! We got rid of Arians, lets keep cranking with good moves!

ben2hines=6
03-01-2012, 09:26 PM
If wallace isnt able to be signed i say go get laurent robinson from dallas

austinfrench76
03-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Screw WR, PLEASE go get Ben some protection!!!! A LT!!!

FanSince72
03-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Given the choice between Cotchery and Plax, I'd go with Cotchery.

But if we're in a position where we need to fill a spot, I'd consider Plax.

A few years ago I wouldn't be saying this but from what I've seen of him lately, I don't think he's the same person he was back before "the incident".

I think he's grown up a lot since then and compared to 'Tone over at the Florham Park Zoo, Plax is almost a voice of reason. Skill-wise, I couldn't say whether he or Cotchery is the better player, but if we find ourselves in a position of having to consider Plax, I think it'd be worth a shot.

stb_steeler
03-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Steelers need to get off that mentality of bringing back past players.
Plex will never be a steeler again....

Millers the sh!t
03-02-2012, 11:30 AM
How do you remember Cotchery's drop in Denver (which I don't) and not that gritty, miraculous touchdown catch that tied the game? That's when Cotch's value reared its beautiful head.

We wouldn't bring back Plax over Cotchery if Cotch wants to come back. Clearly, the organization was impressed with what Cotchery showed last year. And there's no way that Plax, even if signed, would be put above Sanders on the depth chart. Living in NY, I watched Burress a lot this year and at this stage in his career, he's much better suited to being a #3/red zone guy than he is to being a starter. It'd be incredibly foolish to put a 35-year-old guy who left town 8 years ahead of a young stud on the depth chart.

I'm not saying it didn't happen but I don't remember it either. I remember Wallace and Johnson dropping gimmie balls.

Millers the sh!t
03-02-2012, 11:35 AM
Screw WR, PLEASE go get Ben some protection!!!! A LT!!!

This is what I'm hopping for. If we don't draft an o linemen in the first or second rnd. I'll be pissed.

xbroughneck
03-02-2012, 12:00 PM
This is what I'm hopping for. If we don't draft an o linemen in the first or second rnd. I'll be pissed.

Would you rather draft someone, or bring in a known free agent commodity? As expensive as Flozell was, he was an improvement over anyone that would have been drafted the year the STeelers brought him in.

Steelers need to draft best available player with that pick. If it's a wide receiver, fine. Inside linebacker, fine. O-lineman, fine.

I don't want the Steelers to reach for an O-lineman that probably won't see the field a lot this year.

Check out this pool of 6'2"+ receivers in this years draft. (http://walterfootball.com/draft2012WR.php) You can probably get a 2 or 3rd round guy that would be a solid #4 on the Steelers roster.

Dwight Jones or the guy from Notre Dame would fit nicely on the team, and then we wouldn't have to hear about Plaxico anymore.

Not sure why people are so high on Sanders.

StainlessStill
03-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Not sure why people are so high on Sanders.

For what it's worth, Sanders was becoming one of Ben's favorite targets in the 2010 Super Bowl season. He was a clutch 3rd down go to guy before he broke his foot and had complications in the Super Bowl.

In that WC game in Denver, Sanders came up huge again, catching a diving-beauty from Ben on a big 3rd down to keep us alive for the game-winning drive until we shot ourselves in the foot. With Sanders healthy, we are only better.