PDA

View Full Version : Steelers won't use Franchise-Tag on Wallace

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Last week Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert said the team is committed to keeping soon-to-be free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace, and the franchise tag was still an option. But now that teams are free to use the franchise tag, the Steelers have reportedly decided against it.

Instead, the Steelers will use the first-round restricted free agent tender, not the franchise tag, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports.

It’s easy to see why the Steelers wouldn’t use the franchise tag: They’re cap-strapped as it is, and the franchise tag costs about $9.4 million. The first-round restricted free agent tender only costs about $2.7 million.

Read more: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/01/steelers-wont-use-franchise-tag-on-mike-wallace/

Steel95
03-01-2012, 10:58 AM
And they shouldn't use a Franchise Tag on him; why spend $9M on a WR? If his agent feels he's worth that much, let some1 else sign him, take the 1st round pick, see you in the SuperBowl. Wallace is a good receiver; now, is he the same caliber WR such as Jerry Rice, Randy Moss in their Prime? Fitzgerald? And to be honest with you, I don't think neither of those receivers are worth that kind of money. The Steelers do not over pay players at certain positions just because other teams are stupid enough to do so.

Fire Arians
03-01-2012, 11:13 AM
And they shouldn't use a Franchise Tag on him; why spend $9M on a WR? If his agent feels he's worth that much, let some1 else sign him, take the 1st round pick, see you in the SuperBowl. Wallace is a good receiver; now, is he the same caliber WR such as Jerry Rice, Randy Moss in their Prime? Fitzgerald? And to be honest with you, I don't think neither of those receivers are worth that kind of money. The Steelers do not over pay players at certain positions just because other teams are stupid enough to do so.

definitely not on fitzgerald's level, he's probably the most complete receiver there is. i'd rank him over megatron actually. but isn't fitz making like 13mil or something?

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 11:14 AM
definitely not on fitzgerald's level, he's probably the most complete receiver there is. i'd rank him over megatron actually. but isn't fitz making like 13mil or something?

I would too. Brandon Marshall does better than MegaTron when he has a capable quarterback.

Fire Arians
03-01-2012, 11:18 AM
so this likely means wallace is going to be gone. i would like to see the FO try to sign cotchery to 3 year deal

steeltheone
03-01-2012, 11:41 AM
I would too. Brandon Marshall does better than MegaTron when he has a capable quarterback.

Brandon Marshall over Calvin C'mon ?

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Brandon Marshall over Calvin C'mon ?

Sure, he's just as effective with a decent quarterback throwing to him. Their built alike.

Set-Man
03-01-2012, 11:50 AM
I was concerned when I saw that Wallace could be on another team next year but the more I think about it, the more I think it may actually be a good thing with an extra first rounder. I am never certain wallace will make a catch even when he is open. That doesn't sound like a 9 million dollar investment to me. A 9 million dollar investment is somebody who will get us a first down when we need one (ie: Brown) and not make a few splash plays on first down.

What use is Wallace when our QB is on his back?
How many times do you see BB get enough time to properly complete a pass?

Brees and Marsha get a lot more time to throw the ball.

I would be happy if they spent one of the 2 potential first round picks on a OL.

Just my 2 cents

realdeal
03-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Wallace is going nowhere people!! No team is going to give up a first and pay top dollar on top of it. Not even the Gaytriots.

jtbsteeler
03-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I called it. The FO feels they can move on without him. I agree. Excited about two 1st rd picks for the first time in my life.

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 02:01 PM
It's not that the FO feel's they can't move on without him, it's just they're not going to cough up nine million a year for a receiver with a lot yet to prove. He isn't worth that kind of money, and i'm sure other team's understand this. I'd be shocked to see him go anywhere, although i'd like that extra first round pick, just not at his expense.

But, with that being said, i'd rather have Wallace than a First rounder, and that's likely what's going to happen. The fact that he's open to free-agency mean's nothing. Teams will laugh at what he "thinks" he's worth, and i'm sure his opinion of his worth differs from that of the teams in interest, including us. If Wallace is going, it'll be next year. That's MUCH more likely, in my opinion.

6RingsAndCounting
03-01-2012, 02:14 PM
I'd rather him walk than franchise him anyways.

surcalifero
03-01-2012, 04:08 PM
So if the Colts let go of Wayne and decide to pick up Wallace...we would get the number 1 overall pick?

Fire Arians
03-01-2012, 04:13 PM
So if the Colts let go of Wayne and decide to pick up Wallace...we would get the number 1 overall pick?

yes, then we can do something like trade the #1 pick to cleveland for 2 of their 1st round picks and a 3rd or something like that lol.

pancake
03-01-2012, 04:16 PM

Yes and that would never happen, but it would be awesome! :toofunny:

Trade back a few picks and get a top OL and whatever we wanted with our gander of picks... :toofunny:

Black N' Yellow
03-01-2012, 04:40 PM
yes, then we can do something like trade the #1 pick to cleveland for 2 of their 1st round picks and a 3rd or something like that lol.

Nope. The first overall this year is worth at least 6-7 picks. Remember when Cleveland gave up Julio Jones to the Falcons and they got a bunch of picks? Imagine how many picks Andrew Luck would be worth....

zcoop
03-01-2012, 05:50 PM
He's worth the money. The nature of the beast (Free Agency) insist that he is. Somebody is going to pay him and he will be succesful wherever he plays. I hope we pony up the damn money.

Kingmagyar
03-02-2012, 02:28 AM
Why would the Steelers let it be known they are not going to franchise him and not wait to the exact last possible moment? Why would the Steelers' Kevin Colbert say last week that Wallace is just scratching the surface of his potential? Are the Steelers hoping for a #1 pick? Is that what they really are after? Seems those two bits of information do nothing but get other teams interested in him.

If he stays as a restricted free agent then he may be knocked down a peg or two and accept a more reasonable offer from the team long term or he becomes an UFA next year and we lose him and get nothing but a low compensatory pick.

Rick5895
03-02-2012, 04:12 AM
As good as Wallace is , he is NOT in the elite WR class yet. He may be close but he has a ways to go before he gets to the level of Fitz, Andre Johnson or Megatron (to those that think Marshall is as good you really need to take some meds, I think you hit your head on a wall)
Wallace is definitely not worth the 9.4 million franchise tag number. With D.Jackson getting franchised and Welker on his way to being franchised this may may it harder for us to re sign him, it will over inflate what he thinks he is worth.
If Wallace is smart he will sign long term here and soon but we cannot and must not get into a silly bidding war for his services, the F.O has done pretty well drafting WR in later rounds and we will be ok if he goes.
TBH I can't really see another team giving up a 1st round pick and the big money to sign him. The Cheats are franchinsing Welker so I cant really see them ding it , even with 2 1st round picks. the Ratbirds will have to contend with Rice and are expected to franchise him, not to mention having to re sign Flucco to big money, so I really don't think it would be them. The niners are the only possibility and maybe the Giants.
My guess he will still be here. and for something like 6 mil per season.

pete74
03-02-2012, 05:01 AM
if someone signs Wallace its probably going to be the Bengals or the Pats. some of you seem to think the Pats wont because there frachising Welker but that makes no difference. they have two 1st round picks and more then enough money to sign him. Brady is getting up there and New England knows there window is closing and Wallace can turn there team from great to elite.

Also, as for Marshall i agree he isnt a Andre Johnson, Megatron or Fitzgerald but he is right behind those guys. you give him a decent QB like he had in the Pro Bowl and he is a 1500 yard a year WR

kan_t
03-02-2012, 08:23 AM
At this moment I still think that the Steelers will get the extension done. So tag him or not doesn't matter.

For the point of the Pats going after him, I think the Pats will rather want to lose their first round pick on Mario Williams than Wallace. And I'm not sure Wallace really wants the Pats. He may not even be a No.2 there.

chizzler
03-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Steeler fan living in New England. These fans are getting crazy. They are salivating at the thought of Wallace. It's crazy and not out of the realm of possibility. They have two 1st rounders. 20 mil under the cap too. They were talking about it on the local sports station, WEEI. Everyone is all over this. Don't think he can't go because he can just take the money and leave. There is no alliances anymore, money talks.

6RingsAndCounting
03-02-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm still praying that the Rams would sign Wallace and we'd get the 2nd pick and take Blackmon.. It's a dream, but until the draft I'm going to hold onto the dream.

Bayz101
03-02-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm still praying that the Rams would sign Wallace and we'd get the 2nd pick and take Blackmon.. It's a dream, but until the draft I'm going to hold onto the dream.

Don't talk dirty on here :chuckle: