PDA

View Full Version : Let's have some sympathy for Seattle fans.

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Come on folks. It's really not that hard to do. Have some sympathy for those poor souls from Seattle. After all, the Super Bowl was their one chance to prove that their city was worth something in the sports world.

They certainly won't make their mark in baseball. Randy Johnson, Alex Rodriguez, and Ken Griffey are just a few of the names the "rich" ownership in the "Emerald City" has sold off during their tenure. Pittsburgh has sold off their baseball heros too, but our owners don't also own Nintendo.

But they can always fall back on their basketball team right? Oh wait, no they can't. That would be the team yet to win an NBA title. A team that might also be packing their bags for the greener pastures of.......Kansas City.

But they have college sports right. Wait.....not really. Washington and Gonzaga both kind of "flamed out" in the NCAA tournament last year and their football coach is Ty Willingham (enough said).

So Super Bowl XL was their one shot. Those wonderfully intelligent and cultured people from the "Emerald City" can keep rooting for their super star running back (from Alabama) and their Jack Twist like quaterback, but they can't have the Lombardi Trophy. I mean God forbid they actually earn it, they just want someone to hand it to them so that nobody's feelings get hurt. So let the Friends of Dorthy keep writing thier articles about how they've found 600 Steeler fans to argue with. And let them come to Pittsburgh during our biggest week just so they can act like 16 year old emo kids. The fact is Pittsburgh has earned it's place in the conversation about great sports cities. Seattle has earned it's place in the conversation about great coffee cities.

klick81
07-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Teeheehee!

Hawk Believer
07-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Come on folks. It's really not that hard to do. Have some sympathy for those poor souls from Seattle. After all, the Super Bowl was their one chance to prove that their city was worth something in the sports world.

They certainly won't make their mark in baseball. Randy Johnson, Alex Rodriguez, and Ken Griffey are just a few of the names the "rich" ownership in the "Emerald City" has sold off during their tenure. Pittsburgh has sold off their baseball heros too, but our owners don't also own Nintendo.

But they can always fall back on their basketball team right? Oh wait, no they can't. That would be the team yet to win an NBA title. A team that might also be packing their bags for the greener pastures of.......Kansas City.

But they have college sports right. Wait.....not really. Washington and Gonzaga both kind of "flamed out" in the NCAA tournament last year and their football coach is Ty Willingham (enough said).

So Super Bowl XL was their one shot. Those wonderfully intelligent and cultured people from the "Emerald City" can keep rooting for their super star running back (from Alabama) and their Jack Twist like quaterback, but they can't have the Lombardi Trophy. I mean God forbid they actually earn it, they just want someone to hand it to them so that nobody's feelings get hurt. So let the Friends of Dorthy keep writing thier articles about how they've found 600 Steeler fans to argue with. And let them come to Pittsburgh during our biggest week just so they can act like 16 year old emo kids. The fact is Pittsburgh has earned it's place in the conversation about great sports cities. Seattle has earned it's place in the conversation about great coffee cities.

Lots of subjective opinions that have arguable merit. But who can spot the major factual error in this post first? Meager rep points to the winner.

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Yes, and it was meant to be taken seriously too. I mean it was so well researched and thought out. It's obvious that this isn't a reply to the ramblings still coming out of Seattle about the Super Bowl. I mean it's not like a columnist from Seattle went to Pittsburgh looking to pick fights about the Super Bowl.

:rolleyes:

Hawk Believer
07-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Yes, and it was meant to be taken seriously too. I mean it was so well researched and thought out. It's obvious that this isn't a reply to the ramblings still coming out of Seattle about the Super Bowl. I mean it's not like a columnist from Seattle went to Pittsburgh looking to pick fights about the Super Bowl.

:rolleyes:
I totally agree that the article was incredibly pompous and condescending and makes the author (and my city by proxy) look like an incredibly sore loser. So we are on the same page there. I am interested if anyone here can recognize a very black and white misstatment in your post.

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 01:28 PM
I put that in there on purpose.

A hint for anyone who wants to take on Hawk's challenge: 1979.

Hawk Believer
07-14-2006, 01:31 PM
I put that in there on purpose.

A hint for anyone who wants to take on Hawk's challenge: 1979.
Rep points to you!:cheers:

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Like I said, I put that in there on purpose.

Hawk Believer
07-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Like I said, I put that in there on purpose.
Were you testing me to see if I knew?

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 01:43 PM
No. It was meant to show how easily facts can be twisted or ignored to make someone or something look better or worse. For example, I can say I'm 199-78 against Seahawk fans in Super Bowl argument. Now that number is an obvious lie, but to someone who's not paying close attention, it might make me look better and would probably boost my own fragile self-esteem. And my self-esteem would seem have to be fragile to tarvel to a baseball All Star game to pick fights about a football game played 5 months ago.

Hawk Believer
07-14-2006, 01:52 PM
No. It was meant to show how easily facts can be twisted or ignored to make someone or something look better or worse. For example, I can say I'm 199-78 against Seahawk fans in Super Bowl argument. Now that number is an obvious lie, but to someone who's not paying close attention, it might make me look better and would probably boost my own fragile self-esteem. And my self-esteem would seem have to be fragile to tarvel to a baseball All Star game to pick fights about a football game played 5 months ago.
Agreed. As I read that statement about touting his debate score, I thought of a few people around here who would love to get some face time with him over a beer to talk through that one.

BTW, i heard another columnist from Seattle actually talking about the allstar game. As you guys have said, he stated that your ball park has bar none the best view from inside in all of baseball. Here is the intersting part though. He said he went into a bar and was trying to abide by the "when in Rome" principle, so he ordered an Iron City. He said people there laughed at him and said only tourists order IC. When he asked what the locals drink, they said something he couldn't really remember, like Ming Ling or wingling.

So whats the deal, where they screwing with him or is IC shunned by locals?

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 02:03 PM
http://www.yuengling.com/

You need to look at Iron City like Milwaukee's Best. If you're looking for a cheap beer that does the job, but you're not worried about the taste, you can go with IC. However, if you want the best beer that the state of Pennsylvania has to offer, you go with Yuengling.

It is as good as beer gets wihtout being Guinness.

Hawk Believer
07-14-2006, 02:07 PM
http://www.yuengling.com/

You need to look at Iron City like Milwaukee's Best. If you're looking for a cheap beer that does the job, but you're not worried about the taste, you can go with IC. However, if you want the best beer that the state of Pennsylvania has to offer, you go with Yuengling.

It is as good as beer gets wihtout being Guinness.
Well now I've learned something today.:toast:

X-Terminator
07-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Yuengling is the best local beer, bar none. I highly recommend it to anyone visiting the area - you won't be disappointed!

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 02:19 PM
AB bought Rolling Rock, not Yeungling.

X-Terminator
07-14-2006, 02:21 PM

Damn, I was hoping to get that edit in before someone read it! :busted:

Hawk Believer
07-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Pretty hard to screw up Rolling Rock...

r

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 02:31 PM
It is when you move the brewery to New Jersey and you start using that nasty swamp water.

Mosca
07-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Living over here in the eastern part of the state, Yuengling is as ubiquitous as Diet Pepsi; it's like, the Iron City of the Poconos, or it would be if they didn't brew Stegmaier in Wilkes-Barre.

When I left the Burgh in '87, they were brewing a beer that really was very good, very similar to what Yuengling is today; Iron City Golden Lager. I used to bring cases of it back for people who couldn't believe how good it was. I remember reading somewhere that the recipe for ICGL was used to develop Samuel Adams.

Tom

Hawk Believer
07-14-2006, 02:38 PM
It is when you move the brewery to New Jersey and you start using that nasty swamp water.
I was at a barbecue last month and someone brought some Rolling Rock. The outrageous thing was that there were 2 different 6 packs and the beer from each pack tasted distinctively different. Maybe AB can help them out with quality control. Course maybe you are right Jeremy, the taste may depend on how well the sewage treatment plan was working the day it was brewed.

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 02:40 PM
All I can tell you is that Rolling Rock was a major reason why the 4th quater of the Super Bowl is such a blur to me. :smile:

Hawk Believer
07-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Living over here in the eastern part of the state, Yuengling is as ubiquitous as Diet Pepsi; it's like, the Iron City of the Poconos, or it would be if they didn't brew Stegmaier in Wilkes-Barre.

When I left the Burgh in '87, they were brewing a beer that really was very good, very similar to what Yuengling is today; Iron City Golden Lager. I used to bring cases of it back for people who couldn't believe how good it was. I remember reading somewhere that the recipe for ICGL was used to develop Samuel Adams.

Tom
I was talking with some co-workers who entered their prolific drinking years in the 70s out here in the west. Apparently Coors was small then and had an incredible reputation for being a great beer. These people said that they would drive from western WA to Idaho to go get some. I don't knwo if it was really good then or its small supply made it seem more precious. But when they expanded the operation to meet demand, the magic went away for them. As you can imagine out here in the land of coffee fetishes, micro-brews are the choice of most drinkers.

Jeremy
07-14-2006, 02:44 PM
The best beer is still home brewed beer.

Hawk Believer
07-14-2006, 02:45 PM
All I can tell you is that Rolling Rock was a major reason why the 4th quater of the Super Bowl is such a blur to me. :smile:
I was painfully sober....:crying03:

Mosca
07-14-2006, 02:55 PM
HB,

For years Rolling Rock has been known for its variable quality control; one batch is crisp and clean, the next is marginal swill. That coupled with the green bottles that don't travel well... speaking as someone who has quaffed a beer every now and then, I haven't ordered up a Rock in decades. I'll drink wine before I'd order a Rock. Same with a Moulson; too much chance of getting a skunk.

I always envied you guys out in microbrew land, and now we're getting some really good products here as well. Pocono Brewery, Bear Creek, etc are making beers and ales that are a real pleasure to drink. Good ideas travel east!

Tom

stlrtruck
07-14-2006, 03:52 PM
When I did drink regularly I use to drink both Yuengling and Rolling Rock (albeit not at the same time). I love The Rock but now that it's no longer a local beer to the Pittsburgh area, I definitely wouldn't even consider it when I take my weekend football trip. However, the Yuengling Black and Tan - I'll take any time I can!!!

And as for sympathy - look it up in the dictionary between, well you know the rest!

SteelCzar76
07-14-2006, 10:56 PM
"Hmm,..hmmmm,...it's good beer biyach,...it'll get you drunk. You'll be f$ckin fat girls in no time !
"Yes,....the Seahawks deserved to lose,...and i hope they burn in hell" LMAO!!!!
I'm out.

"Hail Caesar,.....Hail the black and Gold"

Indy_Steelers
07-14-2006, 11:12 PM
I sent Ted Miller this.
I read this in the Seattle Times.
http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...&date=20060210
I have some cheese to go with your whine.
http://flickr.com/photos/kemmert/189788291/

HburgXL06
07-14-2006, 11:30 PM
First, rep to Jeremy because I loved that post.

Second, I had some Iron City yesterday and it didn't taste bad to me at all, and I think it's cool how it comes in a "steel" bottle.

Third, I've never had Yuengling (sp) except the black and tan and that tasted awful to me. Where is it brewed and why do so many in Pittsburgh not like Iron City? It would seem to me that someone must drink it if it is only sold in the Pittsburgh area.

Fourth, since no one seems to be guessin on the 1979 hint and I didn't get it, can someone tell me what was meant by it?

Fifth, I don't remember much of the last quarter of the Super Bowl either except for runnin around the whole apartment complex I was in screamin my head off. I was goin nuts, smelled like beer (from drinkin it since before the pregame show and from spillin it and havin it spilled on me) and I don't remember much of the rest of the night.

Sixth, SAMUEL L. JACKSON BEER!!! GOOD MOTHERF*CKIN BEER!!!! MMMMM MMMMMM BIOTCH!!

Ok, I'm done for now.

BuFu

MattsMe
07-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Lots of subjective opinions that have arguable merit. But who can spot the major factual error in this post first? Meager rep points to the winner.

The SuperSonics did win an NBA title, I believe.

Hawk Believer
07-14-2006, 11:41 PM
The SuperSonics did win an NBA title, I believe.
Ding ding ding. As Jeremy alluded to, it was 1979.

The Huskies won a national football championship in 92, but had to share it with Miami. I fervently believe we would have kicked their butts.

The Seattle Storm won a WNBA championship season before last, for what thats worth. And my Huskies got a national women's volleyball championship against a ****y Nebraska team.

So we don't have the most storied championship history around. But we do appreciate the ones we got.

P.S. LOL, the blanked out word above was c*o*c*k*y

HburgXL06
07-15-2006, 12:27 AM
Ding ding ding. As Jeremy alluded to, it was 1979.

The Huskies won a national football championship in 92, but had to share it with Miami. I fervently believe we would have kicked their butts.

The Seattle Storm won a WNBA championship season before last, for what thats worth. And my Huskies got a national women's volleyball championship against a ****y Nebraska team.

So we don't have the most storied championship history around. But we do appreciate the ones we got.

P.S. LOL, the blanked out word above was c*o*c*k*y

Hey man, you gotta be proud of what you got. I'm proud that the Harrisburg Senators (AA team for the DC Nationals) has 4 Eastern League Championship Titles and the Hershey Bears (farm team for the Washington Capitols [was the Colorado Avelanche]) just won their 9th Calder Cup winning the Championship of the AHL. Don't matter where you from rep what you got, be proud of where you came from and what you have.

BuFu