PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Releasing Aaron Smith

6RingsAndCounting
03-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
More moves coming in Pittsburgh: Steelers releasing Aaron Smith.

Farrior next?

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Adam Schefter ‏ @AdamSchefter
More moves coming in Pittsburgh: Steelers releasing Aaron Smith.

Farrior next?

Probably. As I said, lot's of veteran player's will be going within the next few day's. We're going to need some money to get Cotchery back, as well as the draft picks.

Steel_Bus_24
03-01-2012, 04:12 PM
A new era is beginning

Its gonna take a monumental effort to live up to the Steeler Warhorses like Aaron

Pentheon
03-01-2012, 04:30 PM
saw this comin, and im sure farrior will be gone soon as well, maybe foote or hampton

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Farrior had great numbers on defense last year, but his coverage was awful. Got burnt several times, it was bad. I think it'll be Farrior next, but Hampton will stay.

pancake
03-01-2012, 04:52 PM
Is kemo a free agent or still under contract? If so, he also needs to go.

pancake
03-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Farrior had great numbers on defense last year, but his coverage was awful. Got burnt several times, it was bad. I think it'll be Farrior next, but Hampton will stay.

I think Hampton has one year left with this team.

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 04:55 PM

5 yr/$20,000,000.

Not sure where the hell that investment came from, but i'd release him.

Fire Arians
03-01-2012, 05:15 PM
5 yr/$20,000,000.

cut his ass

steeltheone
03-01-2012, 05:53 PM

Bayz....What ya smoking, my man...Farrior great numbers? ....I dont even have to look to know his numbers in 11' are some of the worst of his career...

steeltheone
03-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I think Hampton has one year left with this team.

At a MUCH reduced rate!!!! I'll take Mclendon and 6 mill less...

GMU Steeler
03-01-2012, 05:58 PM
At a MUCH reduced rate!!!! I'll take Mclendon and 6 mill less...

It's better to have both honestly. After McClendon, there's no depth. I share your point about the money though. Anyhow regarding Smith, this was obviously coming, sorry to see him go like I was Hines as he was another hard working professional.

steeltheone
03-01-2012, 06:01 PM
It's better to have both honestly. After McClendon, there's no depth. I share your point about the money though. Anyhow regarding Smith, this was obviously coming, sorry to see him go like I was Hines as he was another hard working professional.

I just can't believe he did not retire ( Smith ) guess he thought he could ride for free another year?

pancake
03-01-2012, 06:05 PM
5 yr/$20,000,000.

When did he sign that contract?

FrancoLambert
03-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Keep the cuts/releases coming, we need to re-tool now.
I don't see the wisdom in keeping Hampton. His performance last year was so-so. Can't remember seeing him taken out of plays so regularly as this past season.
Add the serious knee injury and factor in his weight. A huge ? at best.
It's time to go younger now. It hurts (Hines, Smith too) but it's got to be done.

GMU Steeler
03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
I just can't believe he did not retire ( Smith ) guess he thought he could ride for free another year?

Love of the game I suppose is my guess since I obviously don't know Aaron personally.

tony hipchest
03-01-2012, 07:02 PM

same has been said about timmons, who is about 12 years younger.

just heard an excellent interview with cowher on sirius. he says for all the vets being released (or potential release) that farrior is the least expendable and the TRUE leader of the team.

im not certain he has lost any more of a step thatn london fletcher who is the same age, led the league in tackles last season, and made his 3rd consecutive pro-bowl (after continuously getting snubbed his entire career).

theyre just asked to do different things in different systems.

james by no means is washed up.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-01-2012, 07:09 PM
I agree Tony, I think Farrior has something left in the tank. With healthy LB's around him and a high pick up with an LB, Farrior can certainly help on several levels. I rather have him over Foote.

Smith, its disappointing he didn't retire after getting a gift 2 years straight of 10million from the org. Hopefully the org is taking a new stance. No more free rides.

Whose next!!!!

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2012, 07:10 PM
why would anyone retire when thjey still got guaranteed money coming ? if you retire ,you break the contract and lose the money... let them cut you and you still collect.

Buddha Bus
03-01-2012, 07:10 PM

L-8YWps5QuQ

Word today has it that Kemo is history. Uncork the champagne now! :thumbsup:

fujirama24
03-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Smith has had a great career with us. He was probable the best 3-4 Defensive end I have ever seen. He started in his second year, a 4th round pick. He was a beast until injuries have taken it away the last couple of years. Farrior on the other hand has been the leader of the team ever since we signed him away from the jets. He has aways reminded me of junior seau. He has been great but at some point you have to hang it up. His coverage the last couple of years has been really bad. Hate to see him go but it's time. Kemo made his own bed the way he played last year. Please Release him. Hampton isn't going to be right next year with that Knee but they probable will wait until after the draft too do anything with him. Several others could go. Time to move on.

MasterOfPuppets
03-01-2012, 07:16 PM
:drink:

i criticized the FO for resigning the turd kemo a few years ago (along with randel el ,battle foote,) , people reminded me i'm just a no nothing fan ...i formally apologize to them for questioning their moves ...after all they're the professionals who knows best.... i guess thats why they'll be handing out millions to players that are no longer part of the team...:noidea:

fujirama24
03-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Just read the article on the post by ED B. Very quality article. Got to love a guy who wants to play forever but won't play for anyone but the steelers. Here's to ya BIG A as some of us have called you over the years. I"ll drink one for you at the opener!

pete74
03-01-2012, 07:48 PM
i sat down and talked to Smith sometime around his 5th year and he was the nicest person in the world. i remember asking him why he didnt live in a bigger house and he said he perfered to save because you never know were your going to be playing from year to year and when your carear will end. he was the most down to earth football player i ever met and didnt take anything for granted. the opposite of Bettis. i just wish he would of retired before being cut

Atlanta Dan
03-01-2012, 08:00 PM
he was the most down to earth football player i ever met and didnt take anything for granted. the opposite of Bettis.

???

I thought the Bus was something of an act but it sounds like you have some insights on that?

Just asking - not criticizing

stb_steeler
03-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Wish we could get more players like Aaron Smith....the guys a class act all the way!
Not to mention was a helluva player.

Raw Steel
03-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Not sure about Farrior and Hampton. Yes, the Steelers released Ward and Smith for monetary reasons, but they also both have replacements that can play at a level higher than those guys can now. The Steelers have drafted well at defensive line and wide receiver over the past couple seasons and now they have that flexibility.

SteelCity4Life
03-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Hello everyone! I'd like to let you know, another die hard Steelers fan has joined Steelers Fever!

I come with fond yet slim memories of SB 40. That and people saying the seahawks would win. Then me reveling in it the next day, and they being mum.

Back to the topic at hand. This guy was a heck of DL player! But he'd had injuries, what? the past 3 season in a row??

Sad to see someone with his talent have to leave under such conditions. But the cap issue doesn't get any easier, and plenty of changes, although difficult, have to come.

I'm personally a little more upset to see Hines go. Thus - I dedicated my avatar to him.
I wish he'd realize things don't get any better. I wanted him to retire, but he insists on playing in 2012.

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Hello everyone! I'd like to let you know, another die hard Steelers fan has joined Steelers Fever!

I come with fond yet slim memories of SB 40. That and people saying the seahawks would win. Then me reveling in it the next day, and they being mum.

Back to the topic at hand. This guy was a heck of DL player! But he'd had injuries, what? the past 3 season in a row??

Sad to see someone with his talent have to leave under such conditions. But the cap issue doesn't get any easier, and plenty of changes, although difficult, have to come.

I'm personally a little more upset to see Hines go. Thus - I dedicated my avatar to him.
I wish he'd realize things don't get any better. I wanted him to retire, but he insists on playing in 2012.

Thanks for bringing your discussion to SF! We're glad to have you, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :thumbsup:

As for the Hines avatar, I did the same as soon as he was released. A lot of fans have, actually. Going to miss him.

6RingsAndCounting
03-01-2012, 09:11 PM

Welcome! and great signature by the way:tt03: :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
03-01-2012, 09:13 PM
today bill cowher called smith probably the best player he ever been around.

SteelCity4Life
03-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Welcome! and great signature by the way:tt03: :thumbsup:

Thank you! Glad to be here everyone!
:tt02::tt:

Atlanta Dan
03-01-2012, 09:15 PM
today bill cowher called smith probably the best player he ever been around.

Since Cowher coached John Kuhn that is quite a statement

SteelCity4Life
03-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks for bringing your discussion to SF! We're glad to have you, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :thumbsup:

As for the Hines avatar, I did the same as soon as he was released. A lot of fans have, actually. Going to miss him.

Will do! I will miss him too. Hope we keep/get some classy guys like himself! And I thank coach Tomlin for the amazing amount of class he has. Trust me, it means a lot when you live in Ohio! The Browns fans here are down right TURABLE! lol!

6RingsAndCounting
03-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Will do! I will miss him too. Hope we keep/get some classy guys like himself! And I thank coach Tomlin for the amazing amount of class he has. Trust me, it means a lot when you live in Ohio! The Browns fans here are down right TURABLE! lol!

Gotta love the "Next Year is our year" thing we hear every year here in Ohio from them

Steel95
03-01-2012, 09:29 PM
The time has finally come; Aaron Smith, injured the last 3 yrs. Kemo, the dude was a head case, no discipline at all. Ward, I love the guy but at $4M a year? C'mon Man! I think they should also cut ties with Casey Hampton too; $8.1M against the cap this year alone, he's not worth that. James Farrior, they have been loyal to James long enough, the Steelers are making the right moves at the right time. I Love This Organization.

SteelCity4Life
03-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Gotta love the "Next Year is our year" thing we hear every year here in Ohio from them

I know, right?! They thought Colt McCoy was their answer. lol. What a flop! How about get a reciever who know how to catch, with TWO HANDS! :chuckle:

They were freaking out when Harrison layed him out. That's what bugs me about their fans...everything is a "cheap shot" to them! :blah: Just because them ole Brownies can't play NFL-skill football.

So many shootings and crap go down in Cleveland, and so many people here try to defend the city. That and they're also like "what's wrong with you, root for your home team!'

:rofl: Really? Not in a million years!! Plus, it's a "family thing" they don't understand

SteelCity4Life
03-01-2012, 09:39 PM
The time has finally come; Aaron Smith, injured the last 3 yrs. Kemo, the dude was a head case, no discipline at all. Ward, I love the guy but at $4M a year? C'mon Man! I think they should also cut ties with Casey Hampton too; $8.1M against the cap this year alone, he's not worth that. James Farrior, they have been loyal to James long enough, the Steelers are making the right moves at the right time. I Love This Organization.

I agree with MOST of that. We NEED these changes if we want to see another superbowl anytime soon. Hats off to the Rooney family!

steeltheone
03-01-2012, 10:09 PM
same has been said about timmons, who is about 12 years younger.

just heard an excellent interview with cowher on sirius. he says for all the vets being released (or potential release) that farrior is the least expendable and the TRUE leader of the team.

im not certain he has lost any more of a step thatn london fletcher who is the same age, led the league in tackles last season, and made his 3rd consecutive pro-bowl (after continuously getting snubbed his entire career).

theyre just asked to do different things in different systems.

james by no means is washed up. C'mon Tony...37 years old be realistic!

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 10:16 PM
C'mon Tony...37 years old be realistic!

I don't care if he's fifty, he nearly led the team in tackles last year.

The only downside to him is when he's in coverage. He get's to the QB went sent at him, and he's a TRUE locker room and emotional leader of this team. I almost hope he stays and Foote goes. Wouldn't be the first time :hunch:

steeltheone
03-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Bayz A Steeler MLB should lead the team by 30 tackles....Hines wasa leader too,so are many other Steelers...Turn the page

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Bayz A Steeler MLB should lead the team by 30 tackles....Hines wasa leader too,so are many other Steelers...Turn the page

That's funny. Ryan Clark led the team in tackles this year :doh:

What about Timmons? I don't think he had as bad as a year as everyone puts on, but he was edged out by Farrior still yet.

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Either way, Timmons and Farrior we're neck and neck in tackling stats this year. Not sure who topped who, but it's obviously not as much the MLB's making tackles as it is our coverage unit. A safety led the team this year.

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 10:37 PM
78 tackles for Farrior and 93 for Timmons. Farrior matched Timmons sacks. Farrior led much of the first half of the season, Timmons led the second half. Foote did well when in, but had trouble getting to the QB. Not saying Farrior should stay, but I think he can still bring something to this team.

Bayz101
03-01-2012, 10:39 PM
So with that being said, Steeler MLB's aren't expected to lead the team by 30 tackles. Both our Safeties lead the D this year.

6RingsAndCounting
03-02-2012, 12:40 AM
78 tackles for Farrior and 93 for Timmons. Farrior matched Timmons sacks. Farrior led much of the first half of the season, Timmons led the second half. Foote did well when in, but had trouble getting to the QB. Not saying Farrior should stay, but I think he can still bring something to this team.

One thing I notice though is that we used Timmons to cover instead of Farrior because Farrior just isn't athletic enough to do it anymore, so using him as a run stopper could be a main reason he was up there in tackles, in which 78 really isn't too many.

StainlessStill
03-02-2012, 12:53 AM
That's funny. Ryan Clark led the team in tackles this year :doh:

What about Timmons? I don't think he had as bad as a year as everyone puts on, but he was edged out by Farrior still yet.

Remember now, Timmons had a HUGE year in our Super Bowl season in 2010. He has such a great year that he projected to have like, 24 sacks or so this last season.

The Steelers D obviously got off to a rusty start, our middle linebackers, especially Timmons in the running game, being one of them.

With that said, lets not forget that Timmons was asked to play mostly outside linebacker this season when Harrison went down Week 4 against Houston. IMHO, even though Timmons is an absolute ROCKET,a FIERY missile once he gets going, he isn't a natural pass-rusher, both inside OR outside. I've see the dude's feet over-work his body many of times and get STOOD UP by mostly every running back we've ever played against. Since he took over outside linebacking duties and it showed that LeBeau backed off of the blitz more this season, they used Timmons strength's and that's being athletic enough to play pass-coverage from the outside linebacker position.

He was versatile. LeBeau said MANY times that Lawrence was an unsung hero for the defense in 2011 but judging by his caliber, I thought he TREMENDOUSLY underperformed. Hopefully with Harrison and Woodley healthy, Timmons can go back to his position at full-time middle backer and gradually get better. I want to see huge things from him.

Millers the sh!t
03-02-2012, 01:50 AM
I think the steelers had a different defensive philosophy this past season. I don't really care about this seasons statistical drop offs.

Hampton should go, I think Farrior should stay another season. I Iove that man. I don't mind Foote hanging around either.

tony hipchest
03-02-2012, 02:04 AM
Since Cowher coached John Kuhn that is quite a statementfrom your lips to Gods ears. :chuckle:

C'mon Tony...37 years old be realistic!

london fletcher.

:coffee:

being "realistic" is NOT dogging every single player who happens to be above the age of 30. :tap:

agism is your schtick... i get it. ( i hear debbie...err thad gibson is still young. lets bring him back! )

steeltheone
03-02-2012, 02:57 AM
from your lips to Gods ears. :chuckle:

london fletcher.

:coffee:

being "realistic" is NOT dogging every single player who happens to be above the age of 30. :tap:

agism is your schtick... i get it. ( i hear debbie...err thad gibson is still young. lets bring him back! ) The Steelers always replaced players before the decline until recent years.This was the recipe for continued success throughout the years.

It's easy to see how you could ride Farrior, Smith, Hampton and others past their prime because they were great players and we were winning.

Times have changed. You have see the dropoff in play of certain players with hefty cap numbers. Time to move on.

pete74
03-02-2012, 04:25 AM
???

I thought the Bus was something of an act but it sounds like you have some insights on that?

Just asking - not criticizing

not saying Bettis was a bad person just different then Smith. Smith lived in a normal Ryan housing plan and drove his truck while Bettis lived in a huge house in the Villa and drove his lamborghini. Smith was more of a family man that stayed home and Bettis was a partier who went clubbing in the Strip every weekend. Bettis loved the attention he used to get