PDA

View Full Version : Post Combine Mock Draft (w/ options)

Kingmagyar
03-02-2012, 04:02 AM
Done with the extra pick for losing Mike Wallace in restricted free agency. If we don't lose Wallace then disregard the Stephen Hill pick. Assume the picks in the 1st are 24th and at the end of the first round..

Assume Poe, and Michael Floyd are gone.

1a -Start by trying to replace Wallace and don't rely on later in the draft.

Stephen Hill\ WR, Georgia Tech
Height: 6-4. Weight: 215.
40 Time: 4.36. 10-Yd Split: 1.20.
Vertical: 39.5

-huge, huge upside, not a lot of catches but surprised to hear he is a great blocker as well. Great combine moves him up.

1b

Donta' Hightower ILB, Alabama
Height: 6-2. Weight: 265.

-made and groomed to be a Steeler. but also like Cordy Glenn a lot though.

2nd Round

Kevin Zeitler G, Wisconsin
Height: 6-4. Weight: 314.

-more of a RG so maybe G Amini Silatolu would be better on the left side?

3rd Round

Nicolas Jean Baptiste DT/NT, Baylor
Height: 6-1. Weight: 335.

-groom, coach, get stronger, and wait 1 year behind Hampton. Bigger upside then Josh Chapman

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1066575-oakland-raiders-2012-draft-wishlist-no-2-nt-nicolas-jean-baptiste

4th Round

Chris Givens, WR, Wake Forest
Height: 5-11. Weight: 198.
40 Time: 4.41.

how do you like these 4 young wideouts on the team next year? Not bad if you lose a Mike Wallace.

Antonio Brown 4.47
Emanuel Sanders 4.40
Stephen Hill 4.36
Chris Givens 4.41

5th Round

Alex Hurst, OT, LSU
Height: 6-6. Weight: 340.

-Right Tackle, or Guard prospect. A Mauler in the run game. Sleeper pick.

or

Blake DeChristopher, OT, Virginia Tech
Height: 6-5. Weight: 320.

6th Round

Keith Tandy, CB, West Virginia
Height: 5-10. Weight: 202.
Projected 40 Time: 4.48.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1680913/keith-tandy

7th Round

Emil Igwenagu, FB/HB
Height: 6-1. Weight: 245

-like his pass catching ability and combine workout..

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1762057/emil-igwenagu

Compensatory Round

Anthony Miller, TE, California
Height: 6-4. Weight: 260

Now let's see how many of the above guys actually come in for a visit.

19ward86
03-02-2012, 12:24 PM
I think Cordy Glenn will be gone so Hightower or Hill would be a great pick. I lke addressing the NT and G position early also. Good job King

Bayz101
03-02-2012, 02:14 PM
I would LOVE to see Ben have a big target, but i'd take Hightower if it came down to him and Hill. Last time we took a tall receiver early things didn't work out well.

pete74
03-02-2012, 02:18 PM
i like Coby Fleener from Stanford. he is 6'6 1/8" 250lbs with 33 1/4" arms.

Bayz101
03-02-2012, 02:30 PM
i like Coby Fleener from Stanford. he is 6'6 1/8" 250lbs with 33 1/4" arms.

A tight end i'm assuming?? That's a monster wide out if that's what he is :chuckle:

pete74
03-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Yea a Te

PhantomJB93
03-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Not big on Stephen Hill. I think he's extremely overhyped coming out of the combine. He's a great athlete but hardly a first round WR.

Kingmagyar
03-03-2012, 04:34 AM
[QUOTE=PhantomJB93;1001138]Not big on Stephen Hill. I think he's extremely overhyped coming out of the combine. He's a great athlete but hardly a first round WR.[/QUOTE

Haven't seen Stephen Hill play one down so I am basing my opinion on his combine and some youtube clips, but with a 4.36 in the 40 at 6'5", a huge vertical and a guy who does everything that he is asked of him perfectly you can't help but wonder about his upside. . He's also a great character guy who took on many blocking assignments at Georgia tech with gusto as well.

I guarantee Stephen Hill will be picked in the first round or very shortly after. Could he be Limas Sweed? Could he be Calvin Johnson? I bet the latter and would love him in a Steeler uniform if we lose Wallace.

pete74
03-08-2012, 03:31 AM
i liked Hightower but the more i see of him the more i think the steelers wont take him in the 1st. he seems to stiff at times and isnt very good in coverage. he may be a 2 down ILB

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Not big on Stephen Hill. I think he's extremely overhyped coming out of the combine. He's a great athlete but hardly a first round WR.
I agree. I like what I saw of him when I watched GT, but he runs sloppy routes and was a pure speed guy. He will likely go top of the 2nd as somebody is gonna take a gamble he will develop.

[QUOTE=PhantomJB93;1001138]
I guarantee Stephen Hill will be picked in the first round or very shortly after. Could he be Limas Sweed? Could he be Calvin Johnson? I bet the latter and would love him in a Steeler uniform if we lose Wallace.

Or could he be the next Devin Thomas or James Hardy?? Big time hype on those guys in 2008.

bac151rum
03-08-2012, 12:29 PM
There are people I like better than Hightower, but they will be gone well before we pick. Just don't see anyone who can help as much as him that would be there in the 1st. If he's only a two down backer right now, and can be on the field day one for two out of three downs, thats more than we've gotten from a defensive pick in years.
My personal feeling about looking at wr's in the first is lets wait til Wallace is gone, then we can start planning for it. He's ours this year unless someone else signs him, no one with a first round grade has been claimed in ten years. I keep hearing what if....... Lets deal with what ifs when they happen.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Saw Gil Brandt saying that he sees Hightower as a high 2nd round pick. Think he will be there at 24 when we pick, but not sure if Poe, Glenn or a decent LT will be there. Could be the pick unless trade back.

Kingmagyar
03-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Interesting interview with Nick Saban about Hightower where he mentioned his ability to play OLB in the 3-4 in pass rushing situations. Same exact size and speed as Woodley. Could be drafted for a multitude of roles even helping to replace James Harrison in a couple years.

bac151rum
03-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Sometimes i wonder if Upshaw won't be the better inside linebacker from Alabama. But hecould never wear the green dot, from what I've read.

ricardisimo
03-08-2012, 10:59 PM
Major flaw in your draft is addressing the loss of Wallace in the first. Even if we are to lose Wallace, Ward and Cotchery, I still don't think WR deserves more attention than OG, NT or ILB. Either trade up to get DeCastro or go Hightower and Zeitler/Osemele/etc.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Major flaw in your draft is addressing the loss of Wallace in the first. Even if we are to lose Wallace, Ward and Cotchery, I still don't think WR deserves more attention than OG, NT or ILB. Either trade up to get DeCastro or go Hightower and Zeitler/Osemele/etc.

I think trading up to get a guard would be a waste of a pick if we lost Wallace. Stay where we are and then look at something like 1a- Hightower, 1b Ta'amu, 2. Marvin Jones WR 3. Brandon Brooks OG 4. Nate Potter OT

Kingmagyar
03-09-2012, 08:42 AM

I don't know how it is a major flaw to address a wide receiver with an extra pick in the first when your current depth chart would be:

Antonio Brown
Emanuel Sanders (history of stress fractures in both feet)

That to me spells desperation with a capital D. We would need to take 2 in the draft.

One of these Guards will be there in the 2nd round.

Zeitler, Osemele, Brandon Washington, Amini Silatolu and all have flaws that take them out of a first round grade anyway. At least the receiver would have a 1st round grade.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
I don't know how it is a major flaw to address a wide receiver with an extra pick in the first when your current depth chart would be:

Antonio Brown
Emanuel Sanders (history of stress fractures in both feet)

That to me spells desperation with a capital D. We would need to take 2 in the draft.

One of these Guards will be there in the 2nd round.

Zeitler, Osemele, Brandon Washington, Amini Silatolu and all have flaws that take them out of a first round grade anyway. At least the receiver would have a 1st round grade.

I just think Stephen Hill is a gamble we dont need to take. Can draft a much more accomplished WR in round #2 with Marvin Jones from California. Also can look to Free Agency for a guy like Early Doucet, Cotchery, Eddie Royal, etc for depth.

You can go get Larry Fitzgerald and Ben cant throw it to him from his back if there is no improvement in the O line to protect him, or establish a run game to keep defenses from knowing its pass all the time.

Kingmagyar
03-09-2012, 01:57 PM
I just think Stephen Hill is a gamble we dont need to take. Can draft a much more accomplished WR in round #2 with Marvin Jones from California. Also can look to Free Agency for a guy like Early Doucet, Cotchery, Eddie Royal, etc for depth.

You can go get Larry Fitzgerald and Ben cant throw it to him from his back if there is no improvement in the O line to protect him, or establish a run game to keep defenses from knowing its pass all the time.

I agree with you that Stephen Hill is a gamble. I am turned off a bit on Hill after hearing comments from his own fans at Georgia Tech about his inconsistency. So how would you feel about WR Kendall Wright? This guy is like a cross between Steve Smith, Hines Ward, and Santonio Homes sans the penchant for Mary Jane. Wright would be your more accomplished receiver by far.

And no doubt we need to improve and draft great to fill all those areas you mentioned, but I'm just saying if we lose Wallace and that is a big if, we can't squander a first round talent at WR and hope we hit the position with lesser guys later. We could lose Wallace as late as April 20th giving us no time and no one to find as a free agent replacement.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2012, 05:37 PM
but I'm just saying if we lose Wallace and that is a big if, we can't squander a first round talent at WR and hope we hit the position with lesser guys later. We could lose Wallace as late as April 20th giving us no time and no one to find as a free agent replacement.

Mike Wallace- 3rd round pick
Hines Ward- 3rd round pick
Antonio Brown- 6th round pick
Emannuel Sanders- 3rd round pick
Jerricho Cotchery--4th round pick

This is where I never understand the rationale of fans wanting to spend a 1st round pick on WR's.

So many things have to happen before a WR can ever get a chance to catch the football, yet so many teams that look for the next Steve Smith, find the next Sinorice Moss. Or the next Braylon Edwards, David Boston, Troy Edwards.....and the list goes on.

Fire Arians
03-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Mike Wallace- 3rd round pick
Hines Ward- 3rd round pick
Antonio Brown- 6th round pick
Emannuel Sanders- 3rd round pick
Jerricho Cotchery--4th round pick

This is where I never understand the rationale of fans wanting to spend a 1st round pick on WR's.

So many things have to happen before a WR can ever get a chance to catch the football, yet so many teams that look for the next Steve Smith, find the next Sinorice Moss. Or the next Braylon Edwards, David Boston, Troy Edwards.....and the list goes on.

1st round pick can land you someone who has the ability to win big games for you though. Santonio Holmes might be an idiot, but his talent was the reason why we won #6

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-09-2012, 05:56 PM
1st round pick can land you someone who has the ability to win big games for you though. Santonio Holmes might be an idiot, but his talent was the reason why we won #6

I agree, Harrison's INT, Ben's arm, the defensive performance gave him the opportunity to "be great".

But if your QB cant get him the ball, the O line cant block for the QB, your Strong Safety cant make the INT for TD to get you there and the Defense cant be the #1 defense in the NFL...........that 1st round talent WR is doing nothing. Much like the situation in NY Jets camp now.

WR is one of the last positions that you need to fill on a team to be successful. We will be fine with Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Heath Miller, Eddie Royal and a 3rd round draft pick if Wallace is gone.