PDA

View Full Version : Being famous could hurt Ward's chances of landing another NFL job

mesaSteeler
03-02-2012, 06:35 AM
Being famous could hurt Ward's chances of landing another NFL job
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/32106-being-famous-could-hurt-wards-chances-of-landing-another-nfl-job
Friday, 02 March 2012 01:00
Written by Bob Smizik

Selected short subjects:

It is entirely possible that the quality of his career and the fame it has gained him will legislate against Hines Ward -- and not for him -- when he seeks employment with the other 31 NFL teams.

Ward will have a couple of obivous things going against when the Steelers officially release him in the days ahead and he tries to find a new job.

* Hell be 36 when camps open and with 14 ferociously played NFL seasons behind him.

* Coaches will wonder how good can he be if the only team that knew him and where had carved out a legendary career and was beloved by the fans didn't want him?

But neither of those might be the greatest liability Ward brings with him.

Hes a looming distraction of gigantic proportion and coaches hate distractions.

Where ever Ward signs, hell be big news. Hes a future Hall of Famer. Hes a Super Bowl MVP. He was famously cut by the Steelers. And, yes, ''Dancing With The Stars.''

There will be stories about him when he signs. There will be more stories when training camp opens. Out-of-town writers will seek him out.

If he were, say, Randy Moss trying to extend his career a couple of years ago, the distractions might be worth it. But Wards talent tank has just about run dry.

Some teams, not all, wont want anything to do with the circus hell bring to town.

With inside linebacker and defensive captain James Farrior reported to be the next veteran to go, the Steelers will be in even better shape to handle a contract with Wallace.

With Ward, Aaron Smith and Chris Kemoeatu scheduled to be released in the days ahead, the Steelers shaved almost $10 million off their salary cap.

That not only further debunks the notion they were in salary-cap hell, but it also puts them in a financial position to place the $9.5 million franchise tag on wide receiver Mike Wallace.

More than likely, though, the Steelers will tender Wallace and use that cap space to make him a long-term deal or, if they want, match the offer of another club that seeks the services of Wallace, who is a restricted free agent.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Famous or infamous?lol

Whats this guy smoking? If teams feel he can play they will give him shot. Teams don't want problems, aka moss, TO etc. Ward is a team player, a good guy and now gives back even more to the community with his hours, LOL But over all he is not a trouble maker.

Although I think I would take a flyer on TO as he will work cheap at vet min and IMO he will behave himself as he will want a contract someplace after he proves he can be a good boy. He would not come in to make waves for a 1 year deal with potential.

I'm sure you guys will light me up, LOL

OX1947
03-02-2012, 01:03 PM
I could see him going to Atlanta and being the 3rd receiver there behind jones and roddy.

SoCalFan
03-02-2012, 01:13 PM
He will be on TV! Fox? ESPN???

Bayz101
03-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Really? It's not like he's Vick when he came to Philly?

StainlessStill
03-02-2012, 02:57 PM
I could see him going to Atlanta and being the 3rd receiver there behind jones and roddy.

I was thinking about this as well. Being bitter for most of his career being a Georgia guy and having the Falcons pass on him in 1998, maybe Atlanta will have interest in taking a look at Hines and adding one more veteran presence for the young Matt Ryan since Gonzalez is on his last legs as well. Roddy White and Julio Jones are the guys, but Hines could sew that offense together quite nicely for a vet-presence.

stb_steeler
03-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Is it possible he could just retire a Steeler now?...its not like he needs the money.
Yeah i know he wants to still play but i cant figure out why.

Bayz101
03-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Is it possible he could just retire a Steeler now?...its not like he needs the money.
Yeah i know he wants to still play but i cant figure out why.

Ward is still talented, but he's not going to fit in this offense. We've been developing Brown, Sanders and Wallace for a few years now, and it's time they take over this offense. Ward has the talent to continue playing, but he's just not going to fit in this offense as a starter, or even a backup. If he went to Atlanta or Arizona he'd be a good starter as long as he stays healthy.

Men of Steel
03-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Being famous could hurt Ward's chances of landing another NFL job
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/32106-being-famous-could-hurt-wards-chances-of-landing-another-nfl-job
Friday, 02 March 2012 01:00
Written by Bob Smizik

* Coaches will wonder how good can he be if the only team that knew him and where had carved out a legendary career and was beloved by the fans didn't want him?

But neither of those might be the greatest liability Ward brings with him.

Hes a looming distraction of gigantic proportion and coaches hate distractions.

Seriously??? :doh: ward was wanted, by all of us, but when its time to go, its time to go.

ward was released because:

1. cap issues
2. hines couldnt contribute as much as the other talented WRs, who by the way are mike wallace/ antonio brown/ emmanuel sanders/ jerrico cocthery. one of the best if not, the best, young wr corps in the league.

hines was no distraction, he was the ultimate team leader and row model, it was never all about him, it was always about team first and he showed that year in and out. most unselfish player in the league, willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win.

just the freekin media trying to stir up dumb articles that mean nothing.

hines we love ya and wish you the best wherever you end up. and if you can help a team win in any area, they will have a damn good player in you.

wera176
03-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Seriously??? :doh: ward was wanted, by all of us, but when its time to go, its time to go.

ward was released because:

1. cap issues
2. hines couldnt contribute as much as the other talented WRs, who by the way are mike wallace/ antonio brown/ emmanuel sanders/ jerrico cocthery. one of the best if not, the best, young wr corps in the league.

hines was no distraction, he was the ultimate team leader and row model, it was never all about him, it was always about team first and he showed that year in and out. most unselfish player in the league, willing to do whatever it takes to help the team win.

just the freekin media trying to stir up dumb articles that mean nothing.

hines we love ya and wish you the best wherever you end up. and if you can help a team win in any area, they will have a damn good player in you.

^This * 100

Lokki
03-05-2012, 11:51 AM
^This * 100

I agree. I wish that the Steelers would bring him back as a coach. He could teach the WRs how to block. :wink02: He'll probably go work for one of the networks though.

Cpitt78
03-05-2012, 01:49 PM
I'd like to see Hines come back as a coach but I am wondering if the way he is leaving now means he holds some anger towards the organization. I'd love to see him coaching here. Thoughts?

Cpitt78
03-05-2012, 01:51 PM
^This * 100

Sorry, I'd still take Hines over Crotchery.