PDA

View Full Version : Farrior out with Steelers

Millers the sh!t
03-02-2012, 10:23 AM
According to James' agent, he will no longer be playing with the steelers. This sucks James was one of my all time favorite steelers. Gonna miss this man big time. I thought he had what it takes for one more year with the team.

Fire Arians
03-02-2012, 10:43 AM
gotta be done, we all knew these cuts were coming before even the 2011 season started.

TRH
03-02-2012, 10:50 AM
its obvious the front office was as frustrated watching the games last year as the fans were. We're REALLY cleaning house. Who's next? Hampton maybe?
Sad to see guys like Ward and Farrior go, but in reality, we all know its for the best...we need some younger and faster guys out there. I could see either one of these 2 in particular going high up in the coaching ranks, if they so decide they want to go that route.

Millers the sh!t
03-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Call me a dick but I'm actually hoping Hampton is gone this season.

The farrior loss is bumbing me out. Even though I knew it was coming and it's better for the team. It just sucks cause he's been top 3 for me.

xbroughneck
03-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Good move. Old and slow. Even though the instincts may have still been there, guy was just late a lot. They even pulled him during games.

QCbeauBlak
03-02-2012, 11:04 AM
He said on a Steelers.com video that he went into training camp weighing 225. He still had that same fire on the feild, but not the same "pop". That middle blitz used to really put the pressure on quarterbacks. He used to get crazy QB hurries.. But this year, a guard/center/rb would rotate and catch him and he looked so weak. It was painful to watch. Sometimes I wish I never had to watch of my old favorites look so bad.

StainlessStill
03-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Farrior looked incredibly out of place in Week 1 in Baltimore and the nail in the coffin for me was that Monday Night game in San Francisco. That was brutal to watch, almost horrific watching Farrior try to track down Vernon Davis and other pass-coverage whereabouts.

Still, I believe Farrior was one of the Steelers best pickups EVER. He sure did annihilate in his prime and was the leader in the middle for our ferocious defense's all those years. He will be missed, but it's time to get younger. The youth movement has arrived and that's exciting to me.

Atlanta Dan
03-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Ed.B. of the P-G observed this morning that there has not been a purge of established players like this since the 70s dynasty unspooled

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115161-ed-steelers-de-party-like-its-1982

In that case it played out over several years - in this case the cap does not allow the luxury of slow goodbyes, which may be for the best as this team retools - Steelers were mediocre for the second half of Noll's tenure after the 70s players left

I agree with Ed.B. they now have some cash to sign some players, starting with Cotchery

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115164-ed-march-massacre-ends-now-its-time-to-sign

GMU Steeler
03-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the memories Potsie.

Fire Arians
03-02-2012, 11:55 AM
so this means they think sylvester is ready? or we're going linebacker in rd. 1-3? assuming they're keeping foote, sylvester is the only backup at MLB

jtbsteeler
03-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Foote will start. He actually looked decent/good against the run last season. He helped bottle up Rice in that second matchup against the ravens. Farrior was out that game I think...

I will admit that Foote is a stop gap. Thanks Farrior for the effort and tough play. It's time for both parties to move on.

I'm excited to have the new blood in!

Fire Arians
03-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Foote will start. He actually looked decent/good against the run last season. He helped bottle up Rice in that second matchup against the ravens. Farrior was out that game I think...

I will admit that Foote is a stop gap. Thanks Farrior for the effort and tough play. It's time for both parties to move on.

I'm excited to have the new blood in!

agree 100% but cutting farrior almost means we're going to pick a linebacker somewhere in the first 3 rounds. i'm not sure if it's wise to only have 1 backup for the position going into the season

Steel_Bus_24
03-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Man this is tough, these guys meant so much to the franchise over the last decade...The next generation has a lot to live up to

Let the media Dirt throwing of our supposed graves commence.....

The draft is looking more like MLB or DT in round 1

Curtain_of_Steel
03-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Even if Farrior is cut, Foote V farrior is probably even up. Not a drop off if either one is on the field at this point.

Still an insignificant cut

LayingTheWoodley56
03-02-2012, 12:38 PM
More sad but necessary news. James has been a great player and maybe more importantly the emotional leader of this team for 10 seasons. He's always been one of my favorites and he will be missed. Thanks for everything 51.

Atlanta Dan
03-02-2012, 12:50 PM
so this means they think sylvester is ready? or we're going linebacker in rd. 1-3? assuming they're keeping foote, sylvester is the only backup at MLB

I think it means they needed to dump $2-3 additional million in salary and could not afford both Foote and Farrior

I agree with those that say the Steelers will draft an ILB within the first 3 rounds to step in after Foote is the 2012 stopgap solution - if Sylvester was the answer IMO we woudl have seen more of him in 2011.

Fire Arians
03-02-2012, 12:50 PM
my biggest concern is, if timmons is ready to 'run' this defense. if he is, that will make the transition of sylvester a lot easier

LVSteelersfan
03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Not a surprise in the least. Gotta have some speed in that position or tight ends and fast running backs make a mockery of the middle of our defense. Slow of Foote never should have been brought back but they need to keep him for now due to depth issues.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-02-2012, 01:45 PM
I don't think Timmons roll on the Def is really to run it. IMO he does to much other key issues blitzing etc to call check downs on the plays etc.

Bayz101
03-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Farrior did well as a run-stopper last year, but he was a liability in coverage. That's not good when the coverage unit led the defense last year. I think the thing that will hurt the most losing James is his emotional presence and leadership. I'm excited to see our Linebacking core getting younger now, hopefully we pick up some run-stoppers and blitzers in the draft.

StainlessStill
03-02-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't think Timmons roll on the Def is really to run it. IMO he does to much other key issues blitzing etc to call check downs on the plays etc.

Timmons plays the Will-weakside linebacker in our system and doesn't have the duties in calling the defense and getting accustomed to teams strong-side formations. Farrior was our Mike-backer, or strong-side linebacker that is virtually responsible for strong side checkdowns out of the backfield and chasing around the teams #1 halfback and calling out substitutions and what not. I don't think we'll see that role emerge with Timmons as Mike (since Will has more upside in pass-coverage, one of Timmons strengths.) I'm sure Foote will be a stand in position until we get someone in here to run this defense and play signal caller.

Bayz101
03-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Timmons got to the QB a lot of time's he was sent at him, but that was rare. Timmons was basically a coverage player all year, and was forced out of his natural position frequently.

stb_steeler
03-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Farrior looked incredibly out of place in Week 1 in Baltimore and the nail in the coffin for me was that Monday Night game in San Francisco. That was brutal to watch, almost horrific watching Farrior try to track down Vernon Davis and other pass-coverage whereabouts.

Still, I believe Farrior was one of the Steelers best pickups EVER. He sure did annihilate in his prime and was the leader in the middle for our ferocious defense's all those years. He will be missed, but it's time to get younger. The youth movement has arrived and that's exciting to me.

Absolutely..... Farrior was a great leader but like you said, his prime has passed. Looks like Rooney finally realized theres no sense of holding onto the old guys!

Bayz101
03-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Farrior's been out of his prime for a few years now, but he's still been effective. Even last year he was an effective run-stopper. He's just a liability in coverage, and that's arguably our strong point now considering the lack of QB pressure last year. Hopefully we pick up Hightower and strengthen that linebaking unit.

Ricco Suavez
03-02-2012, 03:13 PM
I have a feeling the Steelers are either willing to stay at #24 and take Hightower or possibly move up and take Kuechly. I feel this draft is deep at NT and some quality interior Linemen. ILB is fairly deep also if they choose to take either a NT or OG in the first.

FrancoLambert
03-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Another sad but necessary move.
It's a rough year if you are nostalgic.
Farrior was horrible in pass coverage last year, way too slow for today's game.
Cover an athletic TE, forget it.
Time to move on.
His leadership and toughness will be missed most.
Thanks, Potsie.
:applaudit: :hatsoff: :tt04: :tt02: :tt: :tt03: :thumbsup:

steeltheone
03-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Farrior's been out of his prime for a few years now, but he's still been effective. Even last year he was an effective run-stopper. He's just a liability in coverage, and that's arguably our strong point now considering the lack of QB pressure last year. Hopefully we pick up Hightower and strengthen that linebaking unit. As much as we need OL ....I would be very happy with Hightower...

Bayz101
03-02-2012, 05:51 PM
As much as we need OL ....I would be very happy with Hightower...

He would just be too hard to pass up.