PDA

View Full Version : "Bounty Rule" violations

MasterOfPuppets
03-02-2012, 04:09 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d82757e7f/Bounty-Rule-violations

looks like the saints might be in deep shit. here i always thought they were a classy organization.

MasterOfPuppets
03-02-2012, 04:13 PM
NFL: Saints defense had 'bounty' fund

Between 22 and 27 defensive players on the New Orleans Saints (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/no/new-orleans-saints), as well as defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, maintained a "bounty" program funded primarily by players in violation of NFL rules during the 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons, the NFL announced Friday.
The investigation by the league's security department determined that an improper "pay for performance" program included "bounty" payments to players for inflicting injuries on opposing players that would result in them being removed from a game.
In some cases, the amounts pledged were both significant and directed against a specific opposing player, according to the league's investigation.
Saints general manager Mickey Loomis failed to stop the bounty program when directed to do so by Saints owner Tom Benson, while coach Sean Payton was aware of the allegations but did not pursue them or take steps to stop the "bounty" program, according to the investigation's findings.
The findings, corroborated by multiple independent sources, have been presented to commissioner Roger Goodell, who will determine the appropriate discipline.
"It is our responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of our game, and this type of conduct will not be tolerated," Goodell said in a statement.
"We have made significant progress in changing the culture with respect to player safety and we are not going to relent. We have more work to do and we will do it."
Goodell has advised the Saints that he will hold proceedings to determine potential discipline against the team and the individuals involved, and confer with the players' union regarding the appropriate punishment. That discipline could include fines, suspensions and the forfeiture of draft choices.
"I have been made aware of the NFL's findings relative to the 'Bounty Rule' and how it relates to our club. I have offered and the NFL has received our full cooperation in their investigation," Benson said in a statement. "While the findings may be troubling, we look forward to putting this behind us and winning more championships in the future for our fans."
Williams did not immediately return calls from ESPN seeking comment.
According to the investigation, the players regularly contributed cash into a pool and received improper cash payments of two kinds from the pool, based on their play in the previous week's game.
Williams administered the program with the knowledge of other defensive coaches and occasionally contributed funds, according to the league investigation.
Payments were made for plays such as interceptions and fumble recoveries. But the program also included "bounty" payments for "cart-offs," meaning that the opposing player was carried off the field, and "knockouts," meaning that the opposing player was not able to return.
The investigation showed that the total amount of funds in the pool may have reached $50,000 or more at its height during the 2009 playoffs. The program paid players $1,500 for a "knockout" and $1,000 for a "cart-off," with payouts doubling or tripling during the playoffs.
"The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for 'performance,' but also for injuring opposing players," Goodell said in a statement. "The bounty rule promotes two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity."
The NFL has a longstanding rule prohibiting "non-contract bonuses," and they violate both the league constitution and bylaws and the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the players' union.
Clubs are advised every year of this rule in a memo from the commissioner. Citing Sections 9.1(C)(8), and 9.3(F) and (G) of the Constitution and By-Laws, the memo for the 2011 season stated:
"No bonus or award may directly or indirectly be offered, promised, announced, or paid to a player for his or his team's performance against a particular team or opposing player or a particular group thereof. No bonuses or awards may be offered or paid for on field misconduct (for example, personal fouls to or injuries inflicted on opposing players)."
"Our investigation began in early 2010 when allegations were first made that Saints players had targeted opposing players, including Kurt Warner (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/1682/kurt-warner) of the Cardinals (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ari/arizona-cardinals) and Brett Favre (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/112/brett-favre) of the Vikings (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/min/minnesota-vikings)," Goodell said in a statement. "Our security department interviewed numerous players and other individuals.
"At the time, those interviewed denied that any such program existed and the player that made the allegation retracted his earlier assertions. As a result, the allegations could not be proven," Goodell said.
"We recently received significant and credible new information and the investigation was re-opened during the latter part of the 2011 season."
According to the NFL investigation, Benson was not initially aware of the bounty program and directed Loomis to make sure it was discontinued immediately. The evidence showed Loomis did not do so, investigators found.
"Similarly, when the initial allegations were discussed with Mr. Loomis in 2010, he denied any knowledge of a bounty program and pledged that he would ensure that no such program was in place. There is no evidence that Mr. Loomis took any effective action to stop these practices," according to the league's findings.
Payton "was not a direct participant in the funding or administration of the program," according to the investigation.
However, Payton "was aware of the allegations, did not make any detailed inquiry or otherwise seek to learn the facts, and failed to stop the bounty program. He never instructed his assistant coaches or players that a bounty program was improper and could not continue," the investigation found.
The investigation included the review of approximately 18,000 documents totaling more than 50,000 pages, interviews of a wide range of individuals and the use of outside forensic experts to verify the authenticity of key documents.
Between 22 and 27 defensive players on the New Orleans Saints (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/no/new-orleans-saints), as well as defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, maintained a "bounty" program funded primarily by players in violation of NFL rules during the 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons, the NFL announced Friday.
The investigation by the league's security department determined that an improper "pay for performance" program included "bounty" payments to players for inflicting injuries on opposing players that would result in them being removed from a game.
In some cases, the amounts pledged were both significant and directed against a specific opposing player, according to the league's investigation.
Saints general manager Mickey Loomis failed to stop the bounty program when directed to do so by Saints owner Tom Benson, while coach Sean Payton was aware of the allegations but did not pursue them or take steps to stop the "bounty" program, according to the investigation's findings.
The findings, corroborated by multiple independent sources, have been presented to commissioner Roger Goodell, who will determine the appropriate discipline.
"It is our responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of our game, and this type of conduct will not be tolerated," Goodell said in a statement.
"We have made significant progress in changing the culture with respect to player safety and we are not going to relent. We have more work to do and we will do it."
Goodell has advised the Saints that he will hold proceedings to determine potential discipline against the team and the individuals involved, and confer with the players' union regarding the appropriate punishment. That discipline could include fines, suspensions and the forfeiture of draft choices.
"I have been made aware of the NFL's findings relative to the 'Bounty Rule' and how it relates to our club. I have offered and the NFL has received our full cooperation in their investigation," Benson said in a statement. "While the findings may be troubling, we look forward to putting this behind us and winning more championships in the future for our fans."
Williams did not immediately return calls from ESPN seeking comment.
According to the investigation, the players regularly contributed cash into a pool and received improper cash payments of two kinds from the pool, based on their play in the previous week's game.
Williams administered the program with the knowledge of other defensive coaches and occasionally contributed funds, according to the league investigation.
Payments were made for plays such as interceptions and fumble recoveries. But the program also included "bounty" payments for "cart-offs," meaning that the opposing player was carried off the field, and "knockouts," meaning that the opposing player was not able to return.
The investigation showed that the total amount of funds in the pool may have reached $50,000 or more at its height during the 2009 playoffs. The program paid players $1,500 for a "knockout" and $1,000 for a "cart-off," with payouts doubling or tripling during the playoffs.
"The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for 'performance,' but also for injuring opposing players," Goodell said in a statement. "The bounty rule promotes two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity."
The NFL has a longstanding rule prohibiting "non-contract bonuses," and they violate both the league constitution and bylaws and the Collective Bargaining Agreement with the players' union.
Clubs are advised every year of this rule in a memo from the commissioner. Citing Sections 9.1(C)(8), and 9.3(F) and (G) of the Constitution and By-Laws, the memo for the 2011 season stated:
"No bonus or award may directly or indirectly be offered, promised, announced, or paid to a player for his or his team's performance against a particular team or opposing player or a particular group thereof. No bonuses or awards may be offered or paid for on field misconduct (for example, personal fouls to or injuries inflicted on opposing players)."
"Our investigation began in early 2010 when allegations were first made that Saints players had targeted opposing players, including Kurt Warner (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/1682/kurt-warner) of the Cardinals (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/ari/arizona-cardinals) and Brett Favre (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/112/brett-favre) of the Vikings (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/min/minnesota-vikings)," Goodell said in a statement. "Our security department interviewed numerous players and other individuals.
"At the time, those interviewed denied that any such program existed and the player that made the allegation retracted his earlier assertions. As a result, the allegations could not be proven," Goodell said.
"We recently received significant and credible new information and the investigation was re-opened during the latter part of the 2011 season."
According to the NFL investigation, Benson was not initially aware of the bounty program and directed Loomis to make sure it was discontinued immediately. The evidence showed Loomis did not do so, investigators found.
"Similarly, when the initial allegations were discussed with Mr. Loomis in 2010, he denied any knowledge of a bounty program and pledged that he would ensure that no such program was in place. There is no evidence that Mr. Loomis took any effective action to stop these practices," according to the league's findings.
Payton "was not a direct participant in the funding or administration of the program," according to the investigation.
However, Payton "was aware of the allegations, did not make any detailed inquiry or otherwise seek to learn the facts, and failed to stop the bounty program. He never instructed his assistant coaches or players that a bounty program was improper and could not continue," the investigation found.
The investigation included the review of approximately 18,000 documents totaling more than 50,000 pages, interviews of a wide range of individuals and the use of outside forensic experts to verify the authenticity of key documents.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7638603/new-orleans-saints-defense-had-bounty-program-nfl-says

Bayz101
03-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Sure seems like the Ravens had a bounty on Ward this year. Wonder if their next? I knew the Saints we're dirty when I watched their run to the Super Bowl. They went for knees and made several blatant helmet-to-helmet hit's throughout the run.

stairway27
03-02-2012, 04:15 PM
They need to strip them of a first round pick at least, Sean Payton should be fired, Gregg Williams should be banned from the league for life, and they need to stick a big ol' * next to their Super Bowl victory...

Atlanta Dan
03-02-2012, 04:18 PM
New York Times also has a story up

The bounty was funded by as many as 27 players and administered by the former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who is now the defensive coordinator for the St. Louis Rams. The N.F.L. said that neither Coach Sean Payton nor General Manager Mickey Loomis did anything to stop the bounties when they were made aware of them and the league’s investigation. ...

Bounties are a violation of N.F.L. rules and could lead to severe sanctions, including suspensions and the forfeiture of draft picks. Commissioner Roger Goodell will decide the discipline.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/03/sports/football/nfl-says-saints-had-bounty-program-to-injure-opponents.html?ref=sports

If this was the Steelers Goodell would fine the team $10 million, forfeit their 2012 draft picks and, if Harrison was involved, ban James for 2012.

Let's see how Goodell treats a team that apparently has contempt for the rules rather than for Goodell.

MasterOfPuppets
03-02-2012, 04:19 PM
this is the absolute lowest form of sportsmanship. maybe even lower than the cheats.
i hope goodell drops a bag of hammers on em. strip draft pics , suspend all players involved for 8 games , kick any coaches with knowledge of it out of the league.

Sixburgher
03-02-2012, 04:25 PM
If this was the Steelers Goodell would fine the team $10 million, forfeit their 2012 draft picks and, if Harrison was involved, ban James for 2012.

Let's see how Goodell treats a team that apparently has contempt for the rules rather than for Goodell.

I'm betting on the "Spygate Treatment".

http://www.peppermintpr.com/peppermintpost/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/sweep-under-rug.jpg

Bayz101
03-02-2012, 04:28 PM
:applaudit:

Atlanta Dan
03-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Yikes - how about this for an inspiring pre-game pep talk:jawdrop:

Before the 2009 NFC Championship Game, Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma offered any defensive teammate $10,000 in cash to knock then-Vikings quarterback Brett Favre out of the game. Favre was hit viciously several times in the game. That fact was in a report to the 32 NFL owners, sent out by the league to detail further what the league's 50,000-page investigation found

Of course we now have the inevitable I'm sorry i got caught statement of fake contrition by former Saints (and current Rams) D-coordinator Gregg Willliams

"I want to express my sincere regret and apology to the NFL, Mr. Benson, and the New Orleans Saints fans for my participation in the 'pay for performance' program while I was with the Saints," Williams said. "It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role. I am truly sorry. I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again."

And Peter King notes that if Goodell does not clobber Williams for this a certain linebacker will not be a happy camper:chuckle:

Players will be watching this case closely, particularly heavily fined players like James Harrison. If Williams gets away without a six-figure fine plus suspension, players will think Goodell is softer on the ringleaders than the players.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/02/saints.bounties/index.html

stb_steeler
03-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Sure seems like the Ravens had a bounty on Ward this year. Wonder if their next? I knew the Saints we're dirty when I watched their run to the Super Bowl. They went for knees and made several blatant helmet-to-helmet hit's throughout the run.

A.K.A Ravens Rule.....Makes ya wonder with that hit Lewis put on Ward.. we know that was a cheap shot that went unnoticed.

stb_steeler
03-02-2012, 06:39 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d82757e7f/Bounty-Rule-violations

looks like the saints might be in deep shit. here i always thought they were a classy organization.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/Biofungus/kyle-bastards.jpg

Atlanta Dan
03-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Washington Post reports this evening Gregg Williams also operated a bounty system when he was D-coordinator for the Redskins

The Washington Redskins had a bounty system for big hits on opponents under former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams that was similar to the one revealed by an NFL investigation of the New Orleans Saints, four players who played under Williams said Friday.

Three of the players described a coach who doled out thousands of dollars to Redskins defenders who measured up to Williams’s scoring system for rugged play, including “kill shots” that knocked opposing teams’stars out of a game.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider

Lady Steel
03-03-2012, 02:02 AM

I always thought the Saints were a classy organization, too. I was shocked when I heard about this.

I'm betting on the "Spygate Treatment".

I wouldn't doubt it.

In addition to fines, suspensions, stripping of draft picks, etc., I still think when things like this happen, Lombardi trophies should be stripped from the team if those Super Bowl Championships were won during the period that this stuff occurs, i.e., Spygate and now Bountygate.

Somehow, someway, I'm sure Silverback will have to pay a fine/suspension for the Saints' evil ways. :chuckle:

Bayz101
03-03-2012, 02:10 AM
Lady, your right. Harrison was fined 25,000 dollars shortly after the news broke out :chuckle:

JohninKentucky
03-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Interesting, I wonder how this will all shake out.

How about Ryan Clark's tweet?

Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark took to Twitter, not to condemn the Saints' bounty program but to criticize the "snitch" that ended up causing trouble for the team.

"Whoever is snitching on the Saints D should be ashamed of themselves. No one was talking about the "bounty" when they got paid. #shame," he wrote.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/7644139/nfl-reportedly-probe-washington-redskins-bounties

lloydwoodson
03-04-2012, 04:57 PM
:doh: Ryan Clark's tweet. Someone needs to tell professional athletes to think about other people. Think about how other people will perceive your comments. Just... think about other people once in a while.

TRH
03-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Washington Post reports this evening Gregg Williams also operated a bounty system when he was D-coordinator for the Redskins

The Washington Redskins had a bounty system for big hits on opponents under former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams that was similar to the one revealed by an NFL investigation of the New Orleans Saints, four players who played under Williams said Friday.

Three of the players described a coach who doled out thousands of dollars to Redskins defenders who measured up to Williams’s scoring system for rugged play, including “kill shots” that knocked opposing teams’stars out of a game.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider

and he still has a job today with his current organization? Why?

My guess is he'll be fired Monday. This story is gaining steam by the minute.

TRH
03-04-2012, 07:14 PM
:doh: Ryan Clark's tweet. Someone needs to tell professional athletes to think about other people. Think about how other people will perceive your comments. Just... think about other people once in a while.

DUMBEST team players in the NFL regarding Twitter use : Pittsburgh Steelers. Hands down.

Tomlin needs to set an immediate iron-clad rule about no-tweeting about this team, any other team, or the NFL. Or you'll be fined.
You want to "tweet" about the sunset or something, go ahead. But not anything to do with the league. Clark just showed his incredibly low IQ with that.

TRH
03-04-2012, 07:15 PM
They need to strip them of a first round pick at least, Sean Payton should be fired, Gregg Williams should be banned from the league for life, and they need to stick a big ol' * next to their Super Bowl victory...

But let me guess......

They'll do nothing to these guys.

Atlanta Dan
03-04-2012, 07:51 PM
and he still has a job today with his current organization? Why?

My guess is he'll be fired Monday.

Unless he "resigns" after this get together

Former Saints and current Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has been called to New York to meet with NFL security officials Jeff Miller and Joe Hummel on Monday for another round of dialogue pertaining to alleged violations of the league's bounty rules, according to sources.

It is likely NFL executive vice president and general counsel Jeff Pash will also be involved in the Monday discussions, a source said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7645278/sources-gregg-williams-nfl-officials-meet-again-monday-regarding-bounties

This story is gaining steam by the minute.

Yep

What sort of locker-room bonus system for players generates fifty thousand pages of relevant documents, including some so critical to fact-finding that they need to be examined by forensic specialists? What kinds of documents were uncovered? ...

The N.F.L. lacks the credibility and the motivation to fully expose whatever dark ecosystem we have just stumbled upon. The investigation summary released on Friday afternoon—a time zone well known as the media graveyard for press releases, one favored by strategic communications consultants of a certain unembarrassed type—is the equivalent of the general counsel at Goldman Sachs or Bank of America disclosing a few problems on the bank’s mortgage trading floor....:chuckle:
The Williams bonus system, as described by the N.F.L., sounds on its face like a racketeering conspiracy to commit felony assault and battery in order to advance a shared business interest—the bonuses and increased salaries that are shared by N.F.L. players when they win championships...,

Yes, the N.F.L.’s extraordinarily successful corporate model is based upon aggression and controlled violence. And yes, once you enter into such territory, it is not always obvious where the borders are...

The N.F.L. is evolving toward the only form that has a chance to survive as billion-dollar, legal, liability lawsuit-free televised entertainment for another century—as a fast, acrobatic, spread-out passing game with fewer full-speed hits and much more athleticism. As this year’s Pro Bowl game—a dull farce of up-and-down the field passing with no intensity or hitting at all—showed, neither the N.F.L.’s overseers nor its players has quite figured out how to make a passing-driven version of the game work without at least some controlled violence

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/sportingscene/2012/03/the-nfl-bounty-game.html

Part of what cost James Harrison so much money in 2010 was his quote that "I don't want to injure anybody. But I'm not opposed to hurting anybody," - let's see how Goodell handles a team paying players for the practices for which Goodell whacked Harrison

tony hipchest
03-04-2012, 10:43 PM
when goodell inacted his personal conduct policy (a sham policy that pretty much gave him free reign to fine and suspend for ANYTHING not specifically covered by the rules) he said he would hold coaches, owners and teams to a higher standard.

one has to assume he meant a higher standard than the players but he is free to say a higher standard than the no standard they were previously being held to.

my guess is williams gets a $125,000 fine and the saints get a slap on the wrist. maybe they lose a draft pick.

Lady Steel
03-05-2012, 12:57 AM
James Harrison just had to say something, which I knew he would. :chuckle: He posted this on Facebook ~

"We'll see how concerned the NFL is about player safety when they decide what the punishment for the saints is.. What do u think it should be?"

I'm sure he will have more to say as this issue progresses.

Atlanta Dan
03-05-2012, 08:13 AM
James Harrison just had to say something, which I knew he would. :chuckle: He posted this on Facebook ~

"We'll see how concerned the NFL is about player safety when they decide what the punishment for the saints is.. What do u think it should be?"

I'm sure he will have more to say as this issue progresses.

As TRH posted earlier, someone from the Steelers organization needs to put the word out to the players (specifically Clark and Harrison) to shut down the comments on the Saints bounty issue - no need to stir up the league office

stb_steeler
03-05-2012, 10:59 AM
As TRH posted earlier, someone from the Steelers organization needs to put the word out to the players (specifically Clark and Harrison) to shut down the comments on the Saints bounty issue - no need to stir up the league office

I agree.....Harrison post on FB about everything. I know he feels hes a target sometimes but at times you have to bite your tongue. It begins to make you look like a whiner.

Lady Steel
03-05-2012, 12:46 PM

ITA. I don't know if anyone watched First Take on ESPN2 this morning, but Clark was a phone-in guest of Skip Bayless. Clark accused Bayless of calling him a thug, and Clark was VERY defensive in explaining his tweet. Bayless asked Clark if the Steelers were involved in any bounty rule violations, and told Clark he needs to watch what he tweets. The interview wasn't pretty, IMO.

Here is the link of the interview ~

http://search.espn.go.com/ryan-clark-+-skip-bayless/

Atlanta Dan
03-05-2012, 01:23 PM
ITA. I don't know if anyone watched First Take on ESPN2 this morning, but Clark was a phone-in guest of Skip Bayless. Clark accused Bayless of calling him a thug, and Clark was VERY defensive in explaining his tweet.
http://search.espn.go.com/ryan-clark-+-skip-bayless/

FWIW Charles Barkley has the same thoughts as Clark

Charles Barkley doesn't care about bounties. He cares about the people who talk about bounties.

"You have to be a punk to snitch that out," Barkley told radio host Dan Patrick about the guy who turned in Saints coach Gregg Williams. "That's like giving a reporter an anonymous quote."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/03/barkley-appalled-by-punk-who-turned-in-greg-williams/1

Of course the difference is Goodell cannot get back at Sir Charles

Fire Arians
03-05-2012, 03:05 PM
when goodell inacted his personal conduct policy (a sham policy that pretty much gave him free reign to fine and suspend for ANYTHING not specifically covered by the rules) he said he would hold coaches, owners and teams to a higher standard.

one has to assume he meant a higher standard than the players but he is free to say a higher standard than the no standard they were previously being held to.

my guess is williams gets a $125,000 fine and the saints get a slap on the wrist. maybe they lose a draft pick.

no, since they're one of goodell's favorite teams, they will probably get an ass grab and lose an undrafted free agent pick :chuckle:

kan_t
03-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Sean Payton has been suspended for one year.

Gregg Williams was suspended indefinitely.

Mickey Loomis was suspended for the first eight regular-season games.

The Saints were fined $500,000 and lost two second-round draft picks (one in 2012 and '13).

Goodell did a good job this time.

TRH
03-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Gregg Williams....that fool has been "indefinitely" suspended. HA.....HA.

I thought the Payton penalty was kind of harsh....but the NFL did have tons and tons of evidence that they spent weeks sifting through (that none of us has seen), so he probably had a bigger role than we thought.

Bad time to be a Saints fan for a couple reasons.

1. This whole unsportsman "bounty" thing and your coach gets suspended

2. You have a greedy, greedy, douchebag QB named Brees holding your entire franchise hostage for his own "personal" gain and greed

Ouch.

MACH1
03-21-2012, 01:40 PM

The Saints were fined $500,000 and lost two second-round draft picks (one in 2012 and '13).

And the cheats* were compensated with a first round pick. :chuckle:

See cheating does pay. The cheats* should have dealt with just as hard if not harder. After all how many sb's did the cheats steal.

kan_t
03-21-2012, 01:43 PM
2. You have a greedy, greedy, douchebag QB named Brees holding your entire franchise hostage for his own "personal" gain and greed

He's asking for Brady/ Manning money. I'm not sure it means that he's greedy. Without him the Saints go nowhere and he's just asking for market value. And the Saints GM calling him good but not great sure doesn't help.

Btw he's tagged. So the Saints fans should be happy as the the Saints actually underpay him this year.

Fire Arians
03-21-2012, 01:44 PM

pretty harsh, i guess the nfl is trying to make a point

kan_t
03-21-2012, 01:45 PM
pretty harsh, i guess the nfl is trying to make a point
Indeed. A statement has to be made.

FanSince72
03-21-2012, 01:47 PM

Holy shit!

I guess now James Harrison seems more like "Man of the Year" by comparison, huh?

Well, everybody's been screaming for Goodell to show some balls and he sure delivered!

WOW!

Just... wow!

Fire Arians
03-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Indeed. A statement has to be made.

while true, suspending the HC for a full season? i never expected something that heavy to come out of this

Sixburgher
03-21-2012, 01:53 PM
This makes the slap on the wrist the Patriots got look like an even bigger joke than it initially did.

MACH1
03-21-2012, 01:54 PM
while true, suspending the HC for a full season? i never expected something that heavy to come out of this

As the hoodie chuckles under his breath.

kan_t
03-21-2012, 01:56 PM
The Saints deserve to get punished this hard not only because they were caught, but they also refused to stop it after they were caught.

No doubt that Goodell wants to make a statement, a good one. I think other teams sure take the notice now.

Atlanta Dan
03-21-2012, 04:57 PM
suspending the HC for a full season? i never expected something that heavy to come out of this

Neither did Sean Payton:chuckle:

Jay Glazer, speaking on NFL Network, said he spoke to Payton and that Payton is "not OK," and "beside himself" as a result of the punishment.

"I did talk to him and he's stunned to say the least,” Glazer said, via MDS at PFT. “I think the entire team thought maybe there'd be a four-game suspension, but not a year. I said, ‘Are you OK?' And he said, ‘No, I'm not OK.' He is stunned. He's going to lose about $8 million. He is beside himself here."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/17948567/sean-payton-on-saints-bountygate-punishment-im-not-ok

_kBwFPSa54w

Atlanta Dan
03-21-2012, 05:01 PM
The Saints deserve to get punished this hard not only because they were caught, but they also refused to stop it after they were caught.

No doubt that Goodell wants to make a statement, a good one. I think other teams sure take the notice now.

kan_t

I was meaning to edit my post and inadvertently shortened your quote from Fire Arians instead

My apologies
:drink:

FacemeIke
03-21-2012, 09:39 PM
This is nuts and wayyyyy too excessive. Goddell is a joke. The guys were hitting within the rules. The Saints had just as many personal foul penalties as any other team in the league and they weren't doing anything outside of the rule book. It's like they are being suspended for telling their guys "hey hit that Farve guy as hard as you can, and if you happen to send him to the sideline by delivering a LEGAL hit then hey here is 10k for you." WTF its a joke.

FanSince72
03-21-2012, 10:10 PM
This is nuts and wayyyyy too excessive. Goddell is a joke. The guys were hitting within the rules. The Saints had just as many personal foul penalties as any other team in the league and they weren't doing anything outside of the rule book. It's like they are being suspended for telling their guys "hey hit that Farve guy as hard as you can, and if you happen to send him to the sideline by delivering a LEGAL hit then hey here is 10k for you." WTF its a joke.

Well apparently the Saints disagree:

(From ESPN)

After staying silent for much of the day, the New Orleans Saints have released a statement on their punishment for running a three-year bounty program. Although they didn’t mention who will step in once coach Sean Payton begins his one-year suspension on April 1, they did apologize to their fans and said there is no place for bounty systems in the league.

Here’s the statement in its entirety:

Today, Commissioner [Roger] Goodell apprised us of the severe penalties facing our club, as proposed by the NFL.

We recognize our fans’ concerns and we regret the uncertainty this episode has created for them. We are humbled by the support our organization has received from our fans today in the wake of this announcement, and we ask them to continue to stand with us, as they have done in the past, when both our team and our city have overcome greater adversities.

To our fans, the NFL and the rest of our league, we offer our sincere apology and take full responsibility for these serious violations. It has always been the goal of the New Orleans Saints to create a model franchise and to impact our league in a positive manner. There is no place for bounties in our league and we reiterate our pledge that this will never happen again.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/32730/saints-apologize-for-bounty-program

One does not say, "this will never happen again" if it didn't happen in the first place.

TRH
03-21-2012, 10:10 PM

but they WEREN'T hitting within the rules. Manning in particular had said when he was down in the pile after the tackle, he thought the guy was trying to twist his head off of his body.
Theres a big difference between :

a. Going out on the field and if you get an opportunity to make a big hit on someone, doing so, such as a Ray Lewis or a James Harrison..

b. Getting guys together before a game....singling out certain players (players such as Favre, Cam Newton, and others were named, can't remember the rest right now)...and offering up "money" and incentives if they INJURE them and take them out of the game. (not just a big hit to announce your presence and intimidate......to INJURE them)

As agreed upon by all 3 analysts in the booth when i was watching tonight (ex-Steeler Merrill Hoge included), the punishment was not too severe and fit the bill to send out a message that will guarantee no one will do this again.

That goes against the integrity of the game. Period. Plus the coaching staff made up numerous lies along the way to the NFL office, then tried to cover those lies

ricardisimo
03-21-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm glad to see brass being held accountable for once, rather than just players. Refreshing.

kan_t
03-22-2012, 04:15 AM
The bounties violated the league's $120.3 million salary cap as extra off-the-books compensation, number one, and also this specific portion of the league's constitution: "No bonuses or awards may be offered or paid for on-field misconduct (for example, personal fouls to, or injuries inflicted on, opposing players).''
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/21/saints.discipline/index.html#ixzz1ppb9YQHL

Putting players' health and safety aside, the Saints still cheated AND they ignored the warning from the league and lied to the league for two years. At least the Pats knew that they had to stop once they had been caught.

steelersflow
03-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Saints fans are in denial and think its some conspiracy by the NFL against them because they are a small market team. Couldn't happen to a better team.

LambertWardSteel
03-25-2012, 02:09 AM
This makes the slap on the wrist the Patriots got look like an even bigger joke than it initially did.

Agree 100%