PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Roster with Salary Cap Values

steelology
03-02-2012, 07:29 PM
With all the activity over the last couple weeks, for anyone interested in the Steelers current roster with salary cap values in spreadsheet format see:

http://steelersspreadsheet.wordpress.com/

After this week's roster cuts, the team appears to have room now to sign Wallace with a 1st round RFA tender, and tender the balance of their restricted players and still be under the March 13 cap.

pete74
03-02-2012, 07:45 PM
good read

tony hipchest
03-02-2012, 10:56 PM
awesome!

i havent been able to find anyone on the internet whos had an entire spreadsheet like this posted for the past 3 years. its akick ass tool for research and studying the cap.

much appreciated. :drink:

Bayz101
03-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Also check out www.spotrac.com

It's a great website with financial information for nearly every sport and sport's team their is.

Busforever
03-03-2012, 12:23 AM
18M under the cap... but 21 more players needed, and Wallace to sign.

Let's suppose they work on a good contract with Wallace, with a big signing bonus and a reasonable salary on the first year to accomodate with their cap. Let's talk about 8M as Wallace's cap number for 2012. Steelers will have 10M left, for 20 players.

Last big cap numbers they can work with are James Harrison (8M), Polamalu (9M), Clark (4M) and Hampton (8M). Restructuring the first 3 would free up 7-8 millions i guess. I think they also could renegociate Keisel and clean 1,5M. It will be hard to keep some veteran (think about Cotchery). Simply signing the draft class would be a tough task.

They could cut Hampton to free 5 more millions (considering the dead money). More manageable, but that would be another loss on the roster.

And you know the bad news? Restructuring contracts makes the situation worst for the next years. Just in 2013, for now, total estimated salaries are at +/-106 millions. So approximatively 20M under the cap, with only 22 players on roster. If Wallace is resigned, you can talk about 10M with 23 players. Yeah, in 2013, 30 bodies will be needed to fill the 53 men roster with 10 millions in the bank...

Big headache is coming.:helmet:

MasterOfPuppets
03-03-2012, 12:38 AM
i still think fat snack shoulda been cut. dude will be 400lbs by august now that he has an excuse to not workout.

ETL
03-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Looks like cutting foote can save 3 mil as well

MasterOfPuppets
03-03-2012, 12:44 AM
the nfl signed a new tv contract so the cap will be going up.

The NFL (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins) further solidified its status as the nation’s most prosperous sport by completing a lucrative set of extensions of its national television contracts with Fox, CBS and NBC.
The nine-year extensions run through the 2022 season, the league announced Wednesday.

(http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-completes-tv-deal-with-fox-cbs-and-nbc-totaling-about-3-billion-per-year/2011/12/14/gIQARJdmuO_allComments.html#comments)

Industry sources said the new deals will be worth an average of about $1 billion apiece to the NFL over the length of the contracts. That total of approximately $3 billion annually for the three deals is up from about $1.9 billion per year currently for the contracts with the three networks.

tony hipchest
03-03-2012, 12:48 AM
now that he has an excuse to not workout.you mean other than already being drafted and having a job?

Steeldude
03-04-2012, 03:10 AM
BR is almost 20 mil against the cap in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

steeltheone
03-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Looks like cutting foote can save 3 mil as well

Just no way we can cut Foote...Somebodys gotta play inside and they sure didnt wanna play Sylvester there last year....Thats what scares me.

pete74
03-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Yea even though Foote isnt a great player he is all we have. Sylvester isnt going to cut it. We are really not going to have any quality backups at the LB'er position this year so hopefully everyone stays healthy.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Ben will eventually get extended, softening and reworking those numbers. Thats not going to be an issue. Money is hnad is going to be what works out in the end.

2014 the cap is going to be 25-30million higher, so things will work out a bit, the draft is key.

Wallace's cap number should be 3-4million or so this year with bonus as he will get a signing a bonus and than a roster bonus next year which will get reworked to a signing bonus like the others. the quesiton is, will Wallace be a team player and play that game like Wood/Timmons did? His mentality has been a little different in terms of wanting to be the 2000 yard guy, and now a big ass contract. If he pushes his luck to much and no one signs him or offers him anything. He may be in for a bit f a shock.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Foote needs to stay, unfortunately. Even if we get a big time LB inthe first rd, he needs to stay on to work the kid in.

plenewken
03-04-2012, 11:26 AM
No way the Rooneys will pay Ben $19M next year.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Has nothing to do with the rooneys or the cap and paying him 19mill, its highly unlikely they would cut him, lol. Currently they created their situation, and in the end Ben will get 19million one way or another. He isnt and shouldnt be taking a discount.

Pay Hampton 3 years 21million, and you think ben wouldnt be worth 19million?lol Ben will get an extension to spread out some money, but elite QBs are sliding in the high teens.

pete74
03-04-2012, 01:56 PM

they already paid him alot of it this year when they redid his contract, that 19million is just his cap hit

The Lakelander
03-05-2012, 02:20 PM

... unless of course he wins Lombardi #7 ... :chuckle:

Cpitt78
03-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Guys I have a simple fix.

Just convert them all to kickers before you renegotiate. I do that in Madden all the time and they end up signing for peanuts.

I'm able to keep this entire team together and I'm 70 million under the cap.

P.S. I also genetically enhanced Hines Ward so that he runs like the Ward of 8 years ago and suffice it to say he is staying put. Steelers for life!

(okay, we can go back to serious talk now)

-Cpitt78

tanda10506
03-05-2012, 05:17 PM
There's nothing wrong with Foote, he played well when he was in, just cause he's not a super star doesn't mean he doesn't get the job done. Seems like a lot of us on here and the coaching staff don't think very high of Sylvester. I don't know why cause when he did see the field he did fine. Either way, if the staff still isn't going to let him play this year then they need to be looking for an ILB in FA or the draft. Looking at the spread sheet, the obvious cut is Hampton. That's A LOT of money for a guy at the very end of his career coming off an ACL injury who will likely be totally out of shape. Wish it was Hampton that retired instead of Hoke, Hoke was much cheaper and age wasn't a problem for him last year, he got it done. Time to draft a NT to back up McClendon and see how McClendon works out as a starter.

60_MINUTES
03-05-2012, 09:33 PM
18M under the cap... but 21 more players needed, and Wallace to sign.

Let's suppose they work on a good contract with Wallace, with a big signing bonus and a reasonable salary on the first year to accomodate with their cap. Let's talk about 8M as Wallace's cap number for 2012. Steelers will have 10M left, for 20 players.

Last big cap numbers they can work with are James Harrison (8M), Polamalu (9M), Clark (4M) and Hampton (8M). Restructuring the first 3 would free up 7-8 millions i guess. I think they also could renegociate Keisel and clean 1,5M. It will be hard to keep some veteran (think about Cotchery). Simply signing the draft class would be a tough task.

They could cut Hampton to free 5 more millions (considering the dead money). More manageable, but that would be another loss on the roster.

And you know the bad news? Restructuring contracts makes the situation worst for the next years. Just in 2013, for now, total estimated salaries are at +/-106 millions. So approximatively 20M under the cap, with only 22 players on roster. If Wallace is resigned, you can talk about 10M with 23 players. Yeah, in 2013, 30 bodies will be needed to fill the 53 men roster with 10 millions in the bank...

Big headache is coming.:helmet:

It will work out... yes one of two guys may be cut but nothing like you think... All we got to do is put a bandaid on it til 2014. but 2013 wont be as bad as you think

Miller will be up for an extension.. Steelers usally extend their big names with a year left.. and Miller along with a few others will meet that... Look for him to sign his last Contract and sign a steeler friendly one.. his play is falling off some and he will retire a steeler for a fair contract.. If they extend him to a few years it will save 5 mil or so

Kesiel... that year he will either play for a Bettis Type Restructure or will be let go... We have Heyward.. Hood.. and Look for us to add another this year to the mix...either redo or cut and we save about 4 more

Troy will be ready just as Miller for his last contract extension.. although he will still get plenty of money im sure... it will not hit the 2013 cap so look for him to save us about 8 mil when he re does his

those things alone will get us about 17 or 18 mil more of cap space

bottom line just find a way to get to 2014