PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Restricted Free Agent Tender Offer Prediction

pete74
03-03-2012, 04:34 AM
The Steelers have until Monday to offer up tenders to their restricted free agent class. The class consists of 6 guys. They are Mike Wallace, Doug Legursky, Ramon Foster, David Johnson, Ryan Mundy, Keenan Lewis and Jamon Meredith. The Steelers can use one of three tender offers for each player. They can use the first round tender that pays out $2.74 Million. They can use the second round tender which pays out $1.92 million or they can use the draft pick tender which pays out $1.26 million. The team will have to do what works for them. Here is what I think we will see.

Restricted Free Agent Tenders:
•Mike Wallace- It has already been announced the Wallace will get the first round tender and the team will work to get him signed long term.
•Doug Legursky- This was a tricky one. Right now he is the starting guard. He was undrafted. The Steelers would get no compensation if they give him the lowest tender. Legursky is the not a true starter in the league but he is a valuable piece of the puzzle. I think the Steelers are going to have to choose between Legursky and Foster. I think they will choose Foster so Legs will get the draft pick tender and the Steelers will take the chance.
•Ramon Foster- Foster is the teams best guard and even while he struggles at times. He is the best we have right now. Like Legursky he was an undrafted free agent. The Steelers can not chance losing both guards. Foster should get the second round tender.
•David Johnson- Johnson is easily replaceable and the Steelers can find someone in the draft or free agency to do what he does. The team will give him the lowest tender and receive a 7th round pick if someone were to take away Johnson.
•Ryan Mundy- The back up to both Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu is the only real safety depth that we have. He would give the Steelers a sixth round pick if he is given the lowest tender. That is high price for Mundy the Steelers will be safe with that offer.
•Keenan Lewis- Lewis is expected to be the starter next season for the Steelers. He is prototypical size for a cornerback and is still extremely young. The team will be counting on him this year. With the lowest tender the Steelers could still receive a third round pick for Lewis. Teams could take Lewis away as he is a starter. A third round pick for a starting corner is not a steep price. I think Lewis will get the second round tender just to be safe.
•Jamon Meredith- No offer.

Cost:
•Mike Wallace- $2.74
•Doug Legursky- $1.26
•Ramon Foster- $1.92
•David Johnson- $1.26
•Ryan Mundy- $1.26
•Keenan Lewis- $1.92
•Jamon Meredith- $0

That will bring the Steelers restricted free agent total to $10.36 million. The Steelers were about $10 million under the projected cap. So pretty much every penny the Steelers just took away to get under the cap the Steelers will have just spent. That means that the Steelers will need to make some more moves if they are to do anything in free agency. They are already talking with Jerricho Cotchery but they will need money to sign him. At least we can keep all these guys and not change much of our core. That is a good start

tanda10506
03-03-2012, 06:13 AM
There are more moves to come. If I am correct, I don't think the Farrior cut is official yet so that's a few more under, Hampton will not be back at his regular pay and shouldn't expect to be. We have quite a few corner's: Ike, Gay, Lewis, Allen, and C. Brown, Ike is locked up and so are the rookies (Allen, C. Brown) but will we keep Gay and Lewis? Gay played so well this year, icing a few games with late INT's, and Lewis is a must at Nickle when we play teams like the Pats with big TE's. But it's likely we will make a tough choice and cut one. Mundy's not going anywhere, nobody wants any of our o lineman except Pouncey, so Legursky and Foster aren't going anywhere. Johnson can go, poor blocking and poor hands, addition by subtraction. Bottom line, if we are going to keep the players we need to like Cotchery, Lewis, and Wallace, then more cuts and changes are to come.

Aside from this coming year, at risk of looking to far ahead, the following year is already looking tough. If we give Wallace a big contract now, how will we afford Brown and Sanders? Pouncey will probably want decent money and if we are going to try to put together a good o line before it's to late for Ben, then Pouncey is a must keep. IIRC, Heath will be a FA then too, and that will be a tough decision. Worilds will also be a FA, and he is likely the replacement for Harrison when he retires. The FO always finds ways to get it done, but you can't help but wonder if eventually it catches up. We need to win a championship or two while the core of the team is still here. There's been alot of talk about the team/core being different without Farrior, Smith, and Hines, but imagine when it's Harrison, Polamalu, and Big Ben. This is a dynasty that's lasted a long time and has 3-6 years left, but the clock is ticking and I have never wanted to see them this team get a championship like I do now.

steeltheone
03-03-2012, 07:07 AM
There are more moves to come. If I am correct, I don't think the Farrior cut is official yet so that's a few more under, Hampton will not be back at his regular pay and shouldn't expect to be. We have quite a few corner's: Ike, Gay, Lewis, Allen, and C. Brown, Ike is locked up and so are the rookies (Allen, C. Brown) but will we keep Gay and Lewis? Gay played so well this year, icing a few games with late INT's, and Lewis is a must at Nickle when we play teams like the Pats with big TE's. But it's likely we will make a tough choice and cut one. Mundy's not going anywhere, nobody wants any of our o lineman except Pouncey, so Legursky and Foster aren't going anywhere. Johnson can go, poor blocking and poor hands, addition by subtraction. Bottom line, if we are going to keep the players we need to like Cotchery, Lewis, and Wallace, then more cuts and changes are to come.

Aside from this coming year, at risk of looking to far ahead, the following year is already looking tough. If we give Wallace a big contract now, how will we afford Brown and Sanders? Pouncey will probably want decent money and if we are going to try to put together a good o line before it's to late for Ben, then Pouncey is a must keep. IIRC, Heath will be a FA then too, and that will be a tough decision. Worilds will also be a FA, and he is likely the replacement for Harrison when he retires. The FO always finds ways to get it done, but you can't help but wonder if eventually it catches up. We need to win a championship or two while the core of the team is still here. There's been alot of talk about the team/core being different without Farrior, Smith, and Hines, but imagine when it's Harrison, Polamalu, and Big Ben. This is a dynasty that's lasted a long time and has 3-6 years left, but the clock is ticking and I have never wanted to see them this team get a championship like I do now. Have to add Miller, Keisel and Hampton to that and even Foote he started the 05' Superbowl....Harrison although still a core player did not start that game....while Clark has filled in nicely for Chris Hope.

FrancoLambert
03-03-2012, 08:15 AM
The Steelers have until Monday to offer up tenders to their restricted free agent class. The class consists of 6 guys. They are Mike Wallace, Doug Legursky, Ramon Foster, David Johnson, Ryan Mundy, Keenan Lewis and Jamon Meredith. The Steelers can use one of three tender offers for each player. They can use the first round tender that pays out $2.74 Million. They can use the second round tender which pays out $1.92 million or they can use the draft pick tender which pays out $1.26 million. The team will have to do what works for them. Here is what I think we will see.

Restricted Free Agent Tenders:
•Mike Wallace- It has already been announced the Wallace will get the first round tender and the team will work to get him signed long term.
•Doug Legursky- This was a tricky one. Right now he is the starting guard. He was undrafted. The Steelers would get no compensation if they give him the lowest tender. Legursky is the not a true starter in the league but he is a valuable piece of the puzzle. I think the Steelers are going to have to choose between Legursky and Foster. I think they will choose Foster so Legs will get the draft pick tender and the Steelers will take the chance.
•Ramon Foster- Foster is the teams best guard and even while he struggles at times. He is the best we have right now. Like Legursky he was an undrafted free agent. The Steelers can not chance losing both guards. Foster should get the second round tender.
•David Johnson- Johnson is easily replaceable and the Steelers can find someone in the draft or free agency to do what he does. The team will give him the lowest tender and receive a 7th round pick if someone were to take away Johnson.
•Ryan Mundy- The back up to both Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu is the only real safety depth that we have. He would give the Steelers a sixth round pick if he is given the lowest tender. That is high price for Mundy the Steelers will be safe with that offer.
•Keenan Lewis- Lewis is expected to be the starter next season for the Steelers. He is prototypical size for a cornerback and is still extremely young. The team will be counting on him this year. With the lowest tender the Steelers could still receive a third round pick for Lewis. Teams could take Lewis away as he is a starter. A third round pick for a starting corner is not a steep price. I think Lewis will get the second round tender just to be safe.
•Jamon Meredith- No offer.

Cost:
•Mike Wallace- $2.74
•Doug Legursky- $1.26
•Ramon Foster- $1.92
•David Johnson- $1.26
•Ryan Mundy- $1.26
•Keenan Lewis- $1.92
•Jamon Meredith- $0

That will bring the Steelers restricted free agent total to $10.36 million. The Steelers were about $10 million under the projected cap. So pretty much every penny the Steelers just took away to get under the cap the Steelers will have just spent. That means that the Steelers will need to make some more moves if they are to do anything in free agency. They are already talking with Jerricho Cotchery but they will need money to sign him. At least we can keep all these guys and not change much of our core. That is a good start
:doh:

Your appraisal that Ramon Foster is our best guard hurts the most.
The fact that you can even make that argument says it all about our O-line the way it is now constructed.
Our O-line, the weakest of the units, needs the most help.
We better address this need in the upcoming draft or else?????

BKAnthem
03-03-2012, 09:08 AM
:doh:

Your appraisal that Ramon Foster is our best guard hurts the most.
The fact that you can even make that argument says it all about our O-line the way it is now constructed.
Our O-line, the weakest of the units, needs the most help.
We better address this need in the upcoming draft or else?????

Well until recently, (i'm still not completely sold on Gilbert yet) Colbert hasn't drafted a Quality Starting Olineman since 2002....this is what you get

Curtain_of_Steel
03-03-2012, 09:44 AM
We do not need to protect our Oline, lol... I doubt anyone will sign them, and if they do, I only hope its teams we play against, lol.

whats worst case they go out and find a couple fat guys to play in their place? Can't be much worse.

Kingmagyar
03-03-2012, 09:44 AM
The new way first round contracts are now won't help either as all contracts must be for only 4 years. It was nice having that 5th year to negotiate a contract extension. Now it will have to be done sooner in year 4. However I believe that all draft picks must sign a 4 year deal. Could be wrong on that last fact.

OX1947
03-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Well until recently, (i'm still not completely sold on Gilbert yet) Colbert hasn't drafted a Quality Starting Olineman since 2002....this is what you get

Have you been sleeping in a freezer the last two years? What do you call all-pro center Maurkice Pouncey.

Bayz101
03-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Pouncey-Foster-Gilbert-Colon. We need one more guard, and I think we'll get him in the draft.

pancake
03-03-2012, 02:38 PM
I read that we will be 12 million under, not 10.

BKAnthem
03-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Have you been sleeping in a freezer the last two years? What do you call all-pro center Maurkice Pouncey.

that's where the "Until Recently" came in...i guess you missed that

Bayz101
03-03-2012, 07:51 PM
I read that we will be 12 million under, not 10.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1164000.html

That report says 12-14. I'll wait until the final number is confirmed by the Steelers, if it is.

Bayz101
03-03-2012, 07:52 PM
that's where the "Until Recently" came in...i guess you missed that

Lol. Jumping to conclusions before your mind has enough time to analyze things fully usually results in what just happened here :chuckle:

FrancoLambert
03-04-2012, 09:13 AM
:pissed::crying01::screwy::doh: :noidea: :banging: :mad

Consider keeping David Johnson?????
Please tally his contributions.
Please tally his glaring mistakes.
Compare the two.
This should be the easiest "no brainer" decision the front office has to make.