PDA

View Full Version : Saints Vs Pats Vs Harrisons hits

Curtain_of_Steel
03-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Here is one for discussion.

Lets see how Hitler handles this one.

1st off the Pats got off lightly as we all know. Especially when Hitler destroyed all the tapes after his verdict. So nothing can be revisited or expanded upon later. But obviously it was that bad.

2ndly, we now have the Saints. Coach, Asst Coach and GM involved, plus who knows how many players. But you can bet your ass its all of them and quite possibly Offensive players who kicked in some dough as well for the pot.
These hits were on purpose and meant to hurt. Regardless of flags etc. The intent on every hit was to get the bonus's for putting people out. In effect putting a HIT out on a player. Now supposedly they stated someplace the owner is off the hook? If Rooney and the organization gets fined for Harrisons hit, and we all know the Rooneys din;t pad up and go out and make the hit on McCoy et al. How is it that they get implicated, yet the Saints owner is not?

3rd, Harrison, plays a mean aggressive game of football. Up until the rules change, never a problem other than destroying people with fierce hits. Taught that way to hit, play through the whistle, get the QB and get the ball. Put people in the ground if they have the ball. (Same way we tell our kids, and you gusy all know it,lol) Now his style gets outlawed, after the fact.
Intent to willfully violate the rules? NO, suspended 2 games with no on purpose intent.
Fined obscene amounts of money, with no on purpose intent.
2 game checks forfeited, with no on purpose intent.
He plays the game hard, and some times goes overboard.

So we seen the fine for cheating with the PATS, we seen the fines and suspensions for Harrison.
What should the fines and suspensions be worth for the Saints? Keep in mind they were told to stop it according to a report out today on ESPN.
If they were told to stop it once, and the NFL knew at that point this was going on and it was a rules violation, why did the NFL not step in than?

zsheik22
03-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Here is one for discussion.

Lets see how Hitler handles this one.

1st off the Pats got off lightly as we all know. Especially when Hitler destroyed all the tapes after his verdict. So nothing can be revisited or expanded upon later. But obviously it was that bad.

2ndly, we now have the Saints. Coach, Asst Coach and GM involved, plus who knows how many players. But you can bet your ass its all of them and quite possibly Offensive players who kicked in some dough as well for the pot.
These hits were on purpose and meant to hurt. Regardless of flags etc. The intent on every hit was to get the bonus's for putting people out. In effect putting a HIT out on a player. Now supposedly they stated someplace the owner is off the hook? If Rooney and the organization gets fined for Harrisons hit, and we all know the Rooneys din;t pad up and go out and make the hit on McCoy et al. How is it that they get implicated, yet the Saints owner is not?

3rd, Harrison, plays a mean aggressive game of football. Up until the rules change, never a problem other than destroying people with fierce hits. Taught that way to hit, play through the whistle, get the QB and get the ball. Put people in the ground if they have the ball. (Same way we tell our kids, and you gusy all know it,lol) Now his style gets outlawed, after the fact.
Intent to willfully violate the rules? NO, suspended 2 games with no on purpose intent.
Fined obscene amounts of money, with no on purpose intent.
2 game checks forfeited, with no on purpose intent.
He plays the game hard, and some times goes overboard.

So we seen the fine for cheating with the PATS, we seen the fines and suspensions for Harrison.
What should the fines and suspensions be worth for the Saints? Keep in mind they were told to stop it according to a report out today on ESPN.
If they were told to stop it once, and the NFL knew at that point this was going on and it was a rules violation, why did the NFL not step in than?

You always hit to hurt someone. Hitting to injure is the problem. They need to be hit with hefty fines that goes to the injured players association

Steelerfreak58
03-03-2012, 10:48 AM
It is Breeze and the Saints. Goodell wont really do shit.

tanda10506
03-03-2012, 12:44 PM
This ^, it's an ubber pass team.

Bayz101
03-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Well, the Saints are a pass-heavy team, as stated above. Goodell probably takes kindly to that, and there'll likely be a slap on the wrist handed out. As for us, as far as I know, there's no evidence whatsoever that we've ever been involved in this type of deal. Sure, we have some violent players? That doesn't matter. Evidence does. A team like the Saints has won what, one Superbowl? The Patriots fired off a series of win's, all of which we're in question, and they received a slap on the wrist in the eye's of many. Now, the Saints have won one bowl. I know it's a different thing we're talking about here, but I can't imagine the punishment will be much worse. Not with Goodell.

Maybe the NFL should investigate the Ravens for the hit on Hines Ward this season? There wasn't any flag called on the play, only a fine later. How does a fine help smooth the miss-call from the game? It doesn't. But that isn't the point. They we're going at Hines's knees and swatting at his helmet all game. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a bonus on the line for that game. Wouldn't be surprised at all.

I'm sure a lot of teams will be under investigation, and I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the first time Goodell's heard of bounties. He probably funded them.

stb_steeler
03-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Slap on the wrist is all they'll get..:sissies:
It would be to many for Goodhell to even consider investigating. He'd be way in over his head.:chuckle:

TRH
03-03-2012, 09:15 PM
It is Breeze and the Saints. Goodell wont really do shit.

exactly right. Reading through the past few years of this "bounty" garbage, the guy who tried to dismantle Peyton Manning's head on PURPOSE got a $5000 dollar fine. Yep. Thats right. $5000 for a vicious, on purpose to injure someone hit. Harrison just makes non-intentional (keyword) aggressive hits in split seconds and he gets the $25000 fines. The $50000 fines. The $75000 fines. Its really ridiculous.
I've said before....whether its ref's throwing flags or Goodell's office doing the fining, its completely unfair, unbalanced, and no consistency whatsoever.

So what will they do to the Saints? Well, something...because its all over the news and the league will HAVE to save face somewhat. But probably not much. And if they could, they would do less than they do on a typical Harrison hit.
It's vomit-inducing.

kan_t
03-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Let's see what the Saints get before drawing any conclusion. From what I have read so far, they are going to get a heavy punishment. What the Saints did is just a slap of Goodell's face.

tanda10506
03-04-2012, 01:36 AM
Wouldn't mind if Goodell died tomorrow, just talking about this double standard shit pisses me off.

soulkitchen
03-04-2012, 03:40 PM
The saints and their golden boy image is a facade. This goes back to a couple of years back when payton was involved with the pain killer scandal. It made a minor splash, then wosh, instantly swept under the goodell rug. This current bounty issue is already beginning to get the company line spin job. Being labeled with the "all teams do this" by some of the talking heads. Just herd jack arute on nfl network just blasting the whole situation as being overblown. complete company line garbage.

This was a bounty, put on targeted players, to take them out. It is totally not just playing to put hard hits on certain players as some are beginning to say (like arute). The money was paid if the player was injured and taken out of the game. You can bet your ass if this was the Steelers the spew coming from the media would be completely different.

TRH
03-04-2012, 06:11 PM
And Williams hasn't been fired from his current post yet why????????

steelfury02
03-05-2012, 06:37 AM
social media doesn't help - ESPN has a whole freakin show with peoples tweets going across the bottom as if anyone cares about anyone else's opinion. Public opinion matters - not facts. And I have to agree - if this was the Steelers - you can bet heavy fines, suspensions (including coaches) and loss of draft pick(s) would be in order. There are too many fan bases and former players turned analysts that love to hate the Steelers and rather than using his brain - my outsiders perspective is that Goodell only acts after the media frenzy, not in accordance with his own investigation.

Lokki
03-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Somehow, Goodell is going to fine Harrison for this, even though he had nothing to do with it. :noidea:

:tt04:

Lokki
03-05-2012, 11:49 AM
And Williams hasn't been fired from his current post yet why????????

Well now it is being reported that he did the same thing while with the Redskins and the Bills. I wonder if he did it with the Oilers/Titans as well. I'm guessing that it would have been started up with the Rams too. Goodell better ban him from the league.

The Lakelander
03-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the discussion ...

No matter what Goodell does here, he will be wrong ...

The NFL is watched by fans in 32 major US cities and everywhere else in the land ... There is no way to possibly come up with a solution to such a stain ... and nothing to be decided at some future date will ever satisfy the matter fully ...

It's a stain ... it's a damn shame ... and we all will suffer the realities of it one way or another ... just from the negative publicity it will place on the sport we have all loved passionately all our adult lives ...

I wish Ryan Clark would STFU though ... he's doing us no help by chiming in ...

TRH
03-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the discussion ...

No matter what Goodell does here, he will be wrong ...

The NFL is watched by fans in 32 major US cities and everywhere else in the land ... There is no way to possibly come up with a solution to such a stain ... and nothing to be decided at some future date will ever satisfy the matter fully ...

It's a stain ... it's a damn shame ... and we all will suffer the realities of it one way or another ... just from the negative publicity it will place on the sport we have all loved passionately all our adult lives ...

I wish Ryan Clark would STFU though ... he's doing us no help by chiming in ...

They're already downplaying it on ESPN like its REALLY "not a big deal", certainly not what they're making it out to be. Unbelieveable, huh??
Can you......imagine.....if this was Pittsburgh this was about? My god, it would be a non-stop Pittsburgh all-out roast by every analyst, they'd be calling for our heads through the guillotine.
For some reason, the Saints and the Packers get this "holier than thou" label on their franchises.....as if they should get a pass for everything.
I still don't know what hurricane Katrina has to do with football....but that connection is getting REALLY old.

Atlanta Dan
03-05-2012, 05:47 PM
They're already downplaying it on ESPN like its REALLY "not a big deal", certainly not what they're making it out to be.

Some ESPN talking heads may be playing it down but not ESPN.com columnist Ashley Fox

Sean Payton deserves to get fired. Mickey Loomis does, too. New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson should strongly consider canning his head coach and general manager for their stupidity and arrogance, if for nothing else.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7645118/saints-coach-sean-payton-gm-mickey-loomis-deserve-fired-bounty-program

Or John Clayton

Saints bounty story worse than Spygate

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7639644/nfl-saints-bounty-story-worse-spygate

And certainly not Steve Young

Young said on ESPN today that he believes a player who was injured against the Saints during the three years that defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was running a bounty program, paying players for knocking opponents out of games, would have a good case for a lawsuit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/steve-young-thinks-players-who-were-injured-should-sue-the-saints/

ESPN will follow Goodell's script on this one and Goodell is stuck with having to smack the Saints coaches after smacking around players such as Harrison

TRH
03-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Some ESPN talking heads may be playing it down but not ESPN.com columnist Ashley Fox

Sean Payton deserves to get fired. Mickey Loomis does, too. New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson should strongly consider canning his head coach and general manager for their stupidity and arrogance, if for nothing else.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7645118/saints-coach-sean-payton-gm-mickey-loomis-deserve-fired-bounty-program

Or John Clayton

Young said on ESPN today that he believes a player who was injured against the Saints during the three years that defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was running a bounty program, paying players for knocking opponents out of games, would have a good case for a lawsuit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/steve-young-thinks-players-who-were-injured-should-sue-the-saints/

ESPN will follow Goodell's script on this one and Goodell is stuck with having to smack the Saints coaches after smacking around players such as Harrison

Yeah, i listened to Steve Young's rant (and he was right) while Tom Jackson foolishly tried to argue with him.
There is a few calling for severe punishment, but i was surprised at the number of "sport apologists" who were basically saying....NO big deal. I can't even imagine if the Steelers were the ones that did this. Wow.

MACH1
03-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Yeah, i listened to Steve Young's rant (and he was right) while Tom Jackson foolishly tried to argue with him.
There is a few calling for severe punishment, but i was surprised at the number of "sport apologists" who were basically saying....NO big deal. I can't even imagine if the Steelers were the ones that did this. Wow.

If it were the pats* the evidence would have already been incinerated.

fujirama24
03-05-2012, 06:16 PM
I think Coach williams ought to be thrown out of football. The GM and Coach payton ought to be fined and or suspended. And for the team. They ought to loose there second and third round pick this year and there fist round pick next year. I think that would send a pretty clear message around the league that this won't be tolerated.

fujirama24
03-05-2012, 06:20 PM

Or John Clayton

Wow never thought of that. If a player was injured in this timetable. He could sue the league,the team owner, the coaches and the players. WOW this could get really ugly.

finesward
03-05-2012, 06:40 PM
Ravens acknowledged having a bounty out on ward years ago. Why is this news?:noidea: slow offseason I guess

Atlanta Dan
03-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Ravens acknowledged having a bounty out on ward years ago. Why is this news?:noidea: slow offseason I guess

Terrell Suggs walked away from his quote that time after Ray Lewis broke Mendenhall's collartbone

Suggs used the word "bounty" on an Atlanta radio station at the time because he said the host used that word in asking the question.

"There wasn't any bounty," Suggs said in 2008. "He [the talk show host] asked me if there was a bounty and I just said I'm going to keep a watch on the guy. He [Ward] broke some guy's jaw last week, and he tried to cheap-shot JJ [Jarret Johnson]. He has also cheap-shotted Ed Reed. We're just going to be on alert the next time we play him."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Did-the-Ravens-have-a-bounty-program.html

NFL may have let that one slide but IMO someone was dumb enough to put it in writing this time (twitter and e-mail live forever)

finesward
03-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Terrell Suggs walked away from his quote that time after Ray Lewis broke Mendenhall's collartbone

Suggs used the word "bounty" on an Atlanta radio station at the time because he said the host used that word in asking the question.

"There wasn't any bounty," Suggs said in 2008. "He [the talk show host] asked me if there was a bounty and I just said I'm going to keep a watch on the guy. He [Ward] broke some guy's jaw last week, and he tried to cheap-shot JJ [Jarret Johnson]. He has also cheap-shotted Ed Reed. We're just going to be on alert the next time we play him."

NFL may have let that one slide but IMO someone was dumb enough to put it in writing this time (twitter and e-mail live forever)

Meh, he found a loophole and exploited it. I'm sure someone of his intelligence can't be held accountable for all the ignorance and bullshit that comes out of his mouth. That's why they have agents, publicists, team reps, spokespersons, social media managers, etc..

During the "2 Live Stews" syndicated radio show on Oct. 17, when he was asked, "Did you all put a bounty out on that young man [Mendenhall]," Suggs replied, "Definitely. The bounty was out on him and the bounty was out on [Ward] -- we just didn't get him between the whistles."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3659317

He also said in that interview that Troy Smith should be the starter over Flacco :sofunny:

Curtain_of_Steel
03-05-2012, 09:22 PM
"Meh, he found a loophole and exploited it. I'm sure someone of his intelligence can't be held accountable for all the ignorance and bullshit that comes out of his mouth. That's why they have agents, publicists, team reps, spokespersons, social media managers, etc.. "

Now thats funny, LOL So true, but funny, lol

Lokki
03-06-2012, 05:06 AM

You left out the image of Suggs.

http://bethanish.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/horse-laugh.jpg

ETL
03-06-2012, 08:43 PM
What pisses me off is that our guys did nothing wrong but just played hard and they were fined...repeatedly.

We have teams full of "I'd be in prison if I was not playing football" guys like the Ravens and rednecks like Klan leader Gregg Williams and that piece of shite, Darren Sharper who purposely went out of their way to injure players. and they are the ones being celebrated by the NFL.

Here is what Goodell should do ... unprecendented punishment to end this bounty crap once and for all:

1. Nullify the Saints SB win - just vacate it. No winner for that year; Saints becomes one of the other teams that has never won a SB
2. Gregg Williams - lifetime ban
3. Saints lose franchise tag this year - good luck trying to keep Brees
4. Saints lose this year's first round draft pick
5. Sean Payton, Loomis - both with 1 year bans

6. All teams undergo thorough investigation to see if a "bounty" was present - if so, they lose their first draft pick this year.

If Goodells implements this punishment - he will end bounties forever and for once, he will be truly acting for player's safety