PDA

View Full Version : Free agent running backs

buzzkill
03-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Steelers should look to sign mike Tolbert from San Diego. The just want to win and play. He is big, quick feet and doesn't complain. Would be very good addition.

Steelerfreak58
03-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Redman, Clay, and Dwyer.

FrancoLambert
03-04-2012, 09:40 AM
RB need = one of our lowest priorities this year.
We have much weaker units than at the RB position.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Agree one of the lowest. Their is a long line of servicable RB's out there, and paying much more than 1-1.5mill would be over paying for a RB at this point. Use the money to heop the oline, but than again, we won't, lol.

PhantomJB93
03-04-2012, 03:12 PM
While I don't really think we need anything more at RB right now, and signing Tolbert would be a luxury with our cap situation, I LOVE Mike Tolbert. I remember watching him play a couple times last year and thinking "This is the closest thing I've seen to Jerome Bettis since...Jerome Bettis."

tanda10506
03-04-2012, 04:31 PM
If we pick up some good lineman, specifically guards, in the draft of FA, I think Redman will have a huge season. I want to see more of Clay too, we don't need another big back with him. Plus Baron Batch will be back, we have 5 RB's as it stands going into the season, 6 if you count Mendy, even if they cut MM, we still have plenty of RB's.

Bayz101
03-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Yeah...Running back isn't a weak point at all with this team, and neither is Wide receiver, with or without Wallace. Both line's and linebacking corps will be addressed.

6RingsAndCounting
03-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Only if he plays for free.

steeltheone
03-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Yeah...Running back isn't a weak point at all with this team, and neither is Wide receiver, with or without Wallace. Both line's and linebacking corps will be addressed.

Without Mendy it is sure not a strength.....Redman with 110 carries....Moore 22 for 157 yds....Dwyer 16 - 123 yds...Clay 10 -141 Batch 0 - 0

Moore older gets hurt...Dwyer gets hurt unproven....Clay unproven.....Batch Gets hurt unproven.

Can Redman handle 200 plus carries?

Without Mendy you would be hard pressed to give this group as a hole a passing grade. C maybe?

Kingmagyar
03-04-2012, 05:26 PM
I was curious that the Steelers met with a potential 4th or 5th round pick

Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati
Height: 5-10. Weight: 197.
40 Time: 4.41. 10-Yd Split: 1.50

If the team does take a back it probably will be a guy with speed like this to utilize on 3rd down and in the open field on short passes. True they have a stable of RBs but all are big backs with Batch or Spann being the exception and they run in the 4.5's.

Haley had Dexter McCluster in KC and utilized him very well catching 46 balls last year. Maybe the Steelers miss a little of that Willie Parker ability to score from anywhere on the field.

If you lose Mike Wallace another weapon out of the backfield with 4.4 speed isn't a bad option.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1621321/isaiah-pead

steeltheone
03-04-2012, 05:29 PM

If the team does take a back it probably will be a guy with speed like this to utilize on 3rd down and in the open field on short passes. True they have a stable of RBs but all are big backs with Batch or Spann being the exception and they run in the 4.5's.

Haley had Dexter McCluster in KC and utilized him very well catching 46 balls last year. Maybe the Steelers miss a little of that Willie Parker ability to score from anywhere on the field.

If you lose Mike Wallace another weapon out of the backfield with 4.4 speed isn't a bad option.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1621321/isaiah-pead I think Pead is gone in round 3 .....

finesward
03-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Without Mendy it is sure not a strength.....Redman with 110 carries....Moore 22 for 157 yds....Dwyer 16 - 123 yds...Clay 10 -141 Batch 0 - 0

Moore older gets hurt...Dwyer gets hurt unproven....Clay unproven.....Batch Gets hurt unproven.

Without Mendy you would be hard pressed to give this group as a hole a passing grade. C maybe?

Mendy gets hurt on a routine play. It happens, so that what if game applies to any RB you have out there. The answer lies not in the RB's we have but the QB we have, and Ben can take over a game if he has to. Just because we don't have veteran depth at RB doesn't means we get a lower grade. Based on what Redman has showed and how he runs (not a lot of dancing and cutting) I think he can handle the load. I think they run the ball better this year than last year with mendy.

steeltheone
03-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Mendy gets hurt on a routine play. It happens, so that what if game applies to any RB you have out there. The answer lies not in the RB's we have but the QB we have, and Ben can take over a game if he has to. Just because we don't have veteran depth at RB doesn't means we get a lower grade. Based on what Redman has showed and how he runs (not a lot of dancing and cutting) I think he can handle the load. I think they run the ball better this year than last year with mendy.
Probably the line more than anything, but yes a stud QB helps.

Just looking at that group without Mendy ( He might not be as good as we thought, but is proven) it is just not very good overall. The weakest in recent memory from top to bottom.

But hey, Gotta give guys a chance. Lets hope they thrive.

GameTime55
03-04-2012, 09:32 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1621321/isaiah-pead

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1031338-2012-nfl-draft-15-best-small-school-prospects/page/10

so maybe not a speedster but I like the kid and the round (4th round)

Bayz101
03-05-2012, 04:14 AM

I wouldn't say that. Baron Batch was number one coming out of camp before his injury, and both Dwyer and Clay have managed to break off some big runs. At a proven talent standpoint i'd put our RB corps at a C w/o Mendy. At a promise standpoint it'd be at the top of the NFL. Redman had 100+ yard game in the playoffs this year in a backup role. That's clutch for a young player like himself.

Steel_Bus_24
03-05-2012, 06:05 AM
while I love me some good RBs, like Tolbert, Im still lMAO at how he abused the Colts in 2010:toofunny:

we have much more pressing needs

Pus Im really interested/hopeful at what Batch can bring

Rick5895
03-05-2012, 06:40 AM
So...we do the "unthinkable" and cut 2 of the most important players in our recent history in Farrior and Ward, re-negotiate contracts with our best players, cut some role players and get ourselves in a decent cap situation and people in here want us to spend all that money we just saved in free agency bringing in other tea,s players, like Tolbert. Here is an interesting thought....why not re-sign our own like Wallace (if he can be had) Cotchery and locking up Sanders and Brown and Heath (as he is a UFA after the 2012 season)
WE ARE NOT THE PHILA. EAGLES. Geting guys like Farrior and Clark through FA is rare, re sign our own and have good drafts.

steeltheone
03-05-2012, 07:31 AM
So...we do the "unthinkable" and cut 2 of the most important players in our recent history in Farrior and Ward, re-negotiate contracts with our best players, cut some role players and get ourselves in a decent cap situation and people in here want us to spend all that money we just saved in free agency bringing in other tea,s players, like Tolbert. Here is an interesting thought....why not re-sign our own like Wallace (if he can be had) Cotchery and locking up Sanders and Brown and Heath (as he is a UFA after the 2012 season)
WE ARE NOT THE PHILA. EAGLES. Geting guys like Farrior and Clark through FA is rare, re sign our own and have good drafts.

In theory what you say is correct, but you have to look at each situation case by case.....Keeping our own players is great, but when they are paid premium and production is not there, well, have to make a change. It's a solid cap league.

In years past we had drafted solid replacements that were ready to go when the time came...We have none at ILB or NT.

We have done well at reciever, but it's a double edged sword. you can't have all your money invested in a QB, WR'S and OLB's. need money for the rest of the team.

steeltheone
03-05-2012, 07:41 AM
I wouldn't say that. Baron Batch was number one coming out of camp before his injury, and both Dwyer and Clay have managed to break off some big runs. At a proven talent standpoint i'd put our RB corps at a C w/o Mendy. At a promise standpoint it'd be at the top of the NFL. Redman had 100+ yard game in the playoffs this year in a backup role. That's clutch for a young player like himself.

Redman will be solid but he is far from the top of the NFL as and individual back or the group as a whole.

That being said, i don't believe we need a premium back to be successful.

BKAnthem
03-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Redman, Clay, and Dwyer.

Thank You....let's stick to what we NEED..OL, DL, LB

Rockonsteel
03-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Redman, Clay, and Dwyer.

Not very awe inspiring. Redman is a good, quality back. Don't know if he's the guy I want as my every down back. Dwyer and Clay are just "guys". There aren't very many DCs in the league losing sleep over the prospect of facing those guys. I was concerned with our RB depth before Rashard knee blew out, even moreso now. Hopefully B. Batch is the wild-card in this. If we have to rely too much on Clay and Dwyer, I'm not gonna be too happy. Hopefully, they bring in some guys to compete.

Rockon

FrancoLambert
03-05-2012, 06:46 PM
The RB position is not a pressing need at this time.
If Redman can't be a lead back for a full year.....and drops the ball........
If Batch isn't what we hope him to be.....and the injury affects him more.......
If Dwyer can only show flashes......really, that's all he's done......
If Clay.......I don't have any idea what to expect from him, he just hasn't played enough.
Definitely a lot of potential, definitely a lot of questions.
It could be a pressing need after the 2013 season though.
But right now we do have much more pressing needs: OL, ILB, DL.
They have to be addressed first.

PhantomJB93
03-06-2012, 01:30 AM
The RB position is not a pressing need at this time.
If Redman can't be a lead back for a full year.....and drops the ball........
If Batch isn't what we hope him to be.....and the injury affects him more.......
If Dwyer can only show flashes......really, that's all he's done......
If Clay.......I don't have any idea what to expect from him, he just hasn't played enough.
Definitely a lot of potential, definitely a lot of questions.
It could be a pressing need after the 2013 season though.
But right now we do have much more pressing needs: OL, ILB, DL.
They have to be addressed first.

I agree, RB is definitely something that shouldn't be worried about right now. This season will tell us a lot about what we have, and if it turns out Redman and the rest of those guys can't adequately handle the load then we'll address it with an early pick in 2013.

tony hipchest
03-06-2012, 01:58 AM
baron batch is the next arian foster.

thats my story and im sticking to it.

Kingmagyar
03-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Chad Spann baby!

TheManOfSteel
03-11-2012, 08:59 AM
I say hit the D with our draft and maybe get a solid Olinemen in the FA market! Yet i love Defense!