PDA

View Full Version : Hightower or Koncz ??

FrancoLambert
03-04-2012, 05:03 PM
Looking over some updated mocks and this could be a choice for us.
I'm no draft talent guru by any means like some of you.
And from what I've read, I'm assuming Hightower would be rated BPA out of these 2.
Well gurus...shed some light.
Is Hightower the BPA? And if so, should we take him?
Or does our more pressing need at O-line point to Koncz as our pick?
From what I've read he's a strong and versatile run-blocker.

MasterOfPuppets
03-04-2012, 06:46 PM
konz is a center, but i don't see why he couldn't transition to guard. i kinda like the idea of having 2 quality centers on the team since pouncy has had a problem finishing seasons.
i'd be a little concerned about his only putting up 18? reps at the combine. if your gonna go hand to hand with haloti ngata , you better be able to bring it.

pete74
03-04-2012, 07:43 PM
i would take Hightower 10 times out of 10.

PhantomJB93
03-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Hightower by far. Konz is the "best center" in this draft, but is no Pouncey, Mack, or Mangold. Very unimpressive showing of strength in the combine and will probably fall into the second. I don't see him as a great Oline prospect whether it be at center or guard.

MasterOfPuppets
03-04-2012, 08:07 PM
here's what walterfootball had to say about him...

http://walterfootball.com/college/Wisconsin_logo.gif Peter Konz*, C, Wisconsin
Height: 6-5. Weight: 314.
Projected 40 Time: 5.58.
Bench: 18. Arm: 33.
Projected Round (2012): 1.
2/28/12: The junior Konz has collected a stack of dominant tapes for NFL evaluators this season. He has played elite players like Jerel Worthy and Jared Crick very well. The Badgers have had a fabulous running offense, and Konz is an excellent run blocker. He seals holes well, gets to the second level, and puts defenders on the ground regularly. Konz has done a fabulous job in pass protection for quarterback Russell Wilson. Not many centers enter the draft early. That goes for Wisconsin offensive linemen as well, so it would be somewhat surprising if he enters the 2012 draft. Late in the season, Konz dislocated his ankle and that caused him to sit out some games. He returned and played very well in the Rose Bowl against Oregon

Bayz101
03-05-2012, 04:16 AM
I'd take Hightower. I'm sure Koncz could make the transition to guard, but if it's going to be a guard in round one, i'd rather take one in his natural position.

Kingmagyar
03-05-2012, 08:55 AM
I would take Hightower. Konz seems like a good pulling guard candidate but I worry about his durability as he has been injured in all 3 of his seasons.

BKAnthem
03-05-2012, 08:55 AM
but if it's going to be a guard in round one, i'd rather take one in his natural position.

I agree

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Lots of quality interior linemen in the draft, but not as many ILB's. Hightower would be the better pick of the 2.

If we want versatile O linemen, then draft a guy that can play OG and RT like Glenn, Osemele, Brooks, etc.

bac151rum
03-05-2012, 07:55 PM
I tend to agree with the masses. Hightower over Konz every time. Now Hightower vs. Glenn, thats a question.

PhantomJB93
03-06-2012, 01:28 AM
I tend to agree with the masses. Hightower over Konz every time. Now Hightower vs. Glenn, thats a question.

After the combine, I think you gotta go with Glenn on this one. I think he's proven that he's got what it takes to be a versatile, stud lineman at the next level, at least as much as you can before you actually hit an NFL field, and we simply need another one of those more than anything else right now. Right now, I think our realistic big board should look something like:

1. Poe
2. Glenn
3. Hightower
4. Barron

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-06-2012, 12:38 PM
After the combine, I think you gotta go with Glenn on this one. I think he's proven that he's got what it takes to be a versatile, stud lineman at the next level, at least as much as you can before you actually hit an NFL field, and we simply need another one of those more than anything else right now. Right now, I think our realistic big board should look something like:

1. Poe
2. Glenn
3. Hightower
4. Barron

What did you like so much about Glenn at the combine that makes you think he is versatile??

I think he showed that he doesnt have the lateral movement to play LT. We know he isnt a C. I actually question if he is a good enough knee bender to get low enough and play OG. Glenn may be only a RT because he plays so high.

If we went on the Combine to judge players alone, then Bruce Campbell would have been a top 10 pick at LT.

PhantomJB93
03-06-2012, 03:57 PM
What did you like so much about Glenn at the combine that makes you think he is versatile??

I think he showed that he doesnt have the lateral movement to play LT. We know he isnt a C. I actually question if he is a good enough knee bender to get low enough and play OG. Glenn may be only a RT because he plays so high.

If we went on the Combine to judge players alone, then Bruce Campbell would have been a top 10 pick at LT.

I'm not going just on the combine, I meant after everything since the end of last season. At the senior bowl he played very well at tackle, and at the combine he showed that he has the athletic ability. Yeah he may not have the lateral movement of an elite LT, but that's not what we'd be drafting him for; obviously his strength is guard and that's what we would draft him for. The point is, between the Senior Bowl and combine he showed that he could take over tackle if he had to, not necessarily start there regularly, which is something offensive linemen on this team are often asked to do.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-06-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm not going just on the combine, I meant after everything since the end of last season. At the senior bowl he played very well at tackle, and at the combine he showed that he has the athletic ability. Yeah he may not have the lateral movement of an elite LT, but that's not what we'd be drafting him for; obviously his strength is guard and that's what we would draft him for. The point is, between the Senior Bowl and combine he showed that he could take over tackle if he had to, not necessarily start there regularly, which is something offensive linemen on this team are often asked to do.

I think at the Senior Bowl and Combine, that he showed he is naturally a RT. The mirror drill, wave drill and kick slide at the combine showed that he probably doesnt have the feet for LT.

I've got to go over some game film, but I watched him play guard 2 years ago vs S. Carolina and he gets his nose over his toes too much and ended up on the ground a lot.

I still question if he is really going to be an effective guard, or is he just gonna be a Gosder Cherilus, Jeff Otah type of guy that is only a RT.