PDA

View Full Version : I want to move back to Pittsburgh

Blackout
03-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Just curious if anyone who currently resides in Pittsburgh (or used to be) can give me some advice.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and unfourtantley had to move because my father transferred jobs to Colorado. I hate Colorado and everything about it. I know it's been years since I've been back at the 'Burgh, but the more I read about the city the more I fall in love with it. It's not a nostalgia thing for me, athough I have intense pride being raised there. It's alot more affordable than where I am currently living now.

My biggest question I have is how is the job market in Pittsburgh? I've applied to about ~15 jobs that I was qualified for but never got a response back from any of them. I guess Yinzers just don't like people to relocate to the 'Burgh or just hire locally? I'm going after tech and healthcare jobs.

Any reasons not to move to Pittsburgh or reasons for it? (Besides my favorite sports teams)

tony hipchest
03-04-2012, 09:51 PM
kinda suprising since pgh has been making the transformation from a blue collar steeltown to a more white collar hub of the health care and tech industry.

Blackout
03-04-2012, 10:31 PM
And such a large hub at that. However the population is diminishing upon every year though.

Lady Steel
03-05-2012, 12:00 AM
I don't know what kind of healthcare job you are looking for, but I do know nursing jobs are hard to come by in Pittsburgh. They're full up.

pete74
03-05-2012, 04:47 AM
i live in pittsburgh(north hills area) and the job market is great. healthcare is huge up here thanks to UPMC

SteelerEmpire
03-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Call the "United Way" before you make a move. I have a couple of friends that say their an invaluable resource when relocating to another state. They supposedly have an "inside track" on everything from finding a place to live to employment.

stb_steeler
03-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Just curious if anyone who currently resides in Pittsburgh (or used to be) can give me some advice.

I grew up in Pittsburgh and unfourtantley had to move because my father transferred jobs to Colorado. I hate Colorado and everything about it. I know it's been years since I've been back at the 'Burgh, but the more I read about the city the more I fall in love with it. It's not a nostalgia thing for me, athough I have intense pride being raised there. It's alot more affordable than where I am currently living now.

My biggest question I have is how is the job market in Pittsburgh? I've applied to about ~15 jobs that I was qualified for but never got a response back from any of them. I guess Yinzers just don't like people to relocate to the 'Burgh or just hire locally? I'm going after tech and healthcare jobs.

Any reasons not to move to Pittsburgh or reasons for it? (Besides my favorite sports teams)

Healthcare jobs are in demand just about everywhere (at least here in eastern PA) Anyhow. I do know this tho, there is alot of competition for companies to choose from. I know how you feel on the part of applying for jobs an not hearing anything. Look at it this way, they have alot of choices now to choose from with the economy the way it is.

micraydim
03-06-2012, 07:47 AM
it's just like that . maybe you'd go to see something else you can do if the job market is not so promising

Pentheon
03-09-2012, 08:47 AM
I was born n raised in Pittsburgh too, I live in Mt Washington and I agree with Pete, healthcare is big here with upmc

Fire Arians
03-09-2012, 11:27 AM
how's the IT / tech industry there? i don't plan to move from hawaii, but just curious