PDA

View Full Version : Johnson vs Wallace

Curtain_of_Steel
03-05-2012, 02:32 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-johnson

5 year 36.25mill

Well that sort of set the low end of the table for Wallace, and obviously based on Johnson contract, Wallace would have a larger valuation.

6RingsAndCounting
03-05-2012, 03:16 PM
What Johnson got is probably close to what we'll offer Wallace from my estimations. We won't overpay him by any means.

stb_steeler
03-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Looks like Wallace isnt gettin that. Seen live at 4 on steelers.com

Men of Steel
03-05-2012, 03:51 PM
Looks like Wallace isnt gettin that. Seen live at 4 on steelers.com

didnt catch it... what did they say??

stb_steeler
03-05-2012, 05:03 PM
didnt catch it... what did they say??

They said their not gonna use the franchise tag

tony hipchest
03-05-2012, 05:13 PM

that just means he wont get 9.4 mil for a single year. doesnt mean he wont get more than s. johnson.

with that being said, i think the patriots or bungles are gonna smack us upside the head with a frontloaded deal the steelers cant possibly match w/o crushing their cap for this year and next.

Atlanta Dan
03-05-2012, 05:23 PM
that just means he wont get 9.4 mil for a single year. doesnt mean he wont get more than s. johnson.

with that being said, i think the patriots or bungles are gonna smack us upside the head with a frontloaded deal the steelers cant possibly match w/o crushing their cap for this year and next.

It is a question of how much many $$ you want to sink into the WR position

Pats have franchised Welker today - scoring is not the Pats problem (at least in the regular season) - if they go for Wallace it is based upon the window closing for Brady & Belichick as they load up for a final run

As for the Bengals I find it hard to believe Mike Brown will pay for Wallace and AJ Green

Unfortunately someone will pay for Wallace and I doubt it will be the Steelers

tony hipchest
03-05-2012, 05:28 PM
It is a question of how much many $$ you want to sink into the WR position

Pats have franchised Welker today - scoring is not the Pats problem (at least in the regular season) - if they go for Wallace it is based upon the window closing for Brady & Belichick as they load up for a final run

As for the Bengals I find it hard to believe Mike Brown will pay for Wallace and AJ Green

Unfortunately someone will pay for Wallace and I doubt it will be the Steelers

brown dumped the cap hit values of both carson, and chad and scored draft picks to boot and effectively replaced them with rookies who are now dirt cheap as compared to years past.

he's essentially playing with house money, and should be in the mood to gamble (i dont think wallace is a gamble as opposed to a sound long term investment).

pats got enough cap space and draft picks to do about whatever they want (including mario williams).

TRH
03-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I have a feeling we've seen the last of Wallace. We could mortgage the team to sign him, but we can't do it. We have pressing needs on the defensive line, defensive backfield, possibly linebacker, offensive line, and we have Antonio Brown that we'll have to contend with next year.
I just don't see how we sign him. He'll have an offer easily, if not more than one, thats more than our tender will be.

FrancoLambert
03-05-2012, 05:34 PM

Tony, if you're right, I hope it's the Pats.
At least we won't have to see him twice each year.
That could hurt.

tony hipchest
03-05-2012, 05:34 PM
I have a feeling we've seen the last of Wallace. We could mortgage the team to sign him, but we can't do it. We have pressing needs on the defensive line, defensive backfield, possibly linebacker, offensive line, and we have Antonio Brown that we'll have to contend with next year.
I just don't see how we sign him. He'll have an offer easily, if not more than one, thats more than our tender will be.

we can easilly match a tender offer of $2.7 mil. what we cant match is someone offering him 15 million this year that is guranteed and counts towards their cap (frontloaded)

TRH
03-05-2012, 05:37 PM
we can easilly match a tender offer of $2.7 mil. what we cant match is someone offering him 15 million this year that is guranteed and counts towards their cap (frontloaded)

well, my point was that his other offers will definitely be more than 2.7 mil.

stb_steeler
03-05-2012, 05:38 PM

thats more less how it looks

wera176
03-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Tony, if you're right, I hope it's the Pats.
At least we won't have to see him twice each year.
That could hurt.

I live in Cincy (born and raised in Butler though!) and my Bungle-loving buddies want Wallace sooo bad they can taste it. To the point they've asked me to call Rooney for them... ;)

Like one of them said, who wouldn't want to take a weapon from their rival and use it to beat them? GRRRRRR... :mad:

Rick5895
03-05-2012, 06:39 PM
The price of Wallace went up with Johnson getting his contract and the Chiefs franchisingBowe. I can see him in S.F, and IMO another team with big cap space and in need of offensive firepower, Tampa. I know they pick early but you never know. (Before you call me nuts, its a very small possibility and it might not be just teams with late 1st round picks that show interest.)

Curtain_of_Steel
03-05-2012, 07:11 PM
No one will offer wallace JUST 2.7 for year 1, it will be 12-15million for the first year.

As far as the Pats no neededing offense. They sure do if they will ignore there defense. scoring 30-40 points a game wwill do it. Wallace will pull doube lteams opening up the 3 other threats even larger. Cant double team 4 guys heading out on routes. Brady as I stated before will pass for 6000 yards with the addition of wallce. They wont need a big time back, just a blocking back.

ggoldman
03-05-2012, 07:58 PM
No one will offer wallace JUST 2.7 for year 1, it will be 12-15million for the first year.

As far as the Pats no neededing offense. They sure do if they will ignore there defense. scoring 30-40 points a game wwill do it. Wallace will pull doube lteams opening up the 3 other threats even larger. Cant double team 4 guys heading out on routes. Brady as I stated before will pass for 6000 yards with the addition of wallce. They wont need a big time back, just a blocking back.

Are they willing to pay 9.7 million to Welker, and 12 million to Wallace this year?

tony hipchest
03-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Are they willing to pay 9.7 million to Welker, and 12 million to Wallace this year?

why not?

or they can sign welker to a long term deal and pro rate his signing bonus for a discount.

funny how nobody seems to think of that. :tap:

we have more tied up in our linebacker than the patriots could ever have tied up in their wr's this year (even if they tried).

we have lowered the cap hit of timmons and woodley and may do the same with harrison. there is nothing to say the patriots cant do the same with welker if they want both him and wallace to usher brady into the record setting twilight of his career.

StainlessStill
03-05-2012, 08:35 PM
If we were to lose Wallace ( we're doing EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING to retain him) in FA, I wouldn't want him in the AFC, ESP New England or a division foe. If he were to go, the sting wouldn't be as bad if he would go to an NFC team; a team like Chicago or San Francisco.

We'll see.

TRH
03-05-2012, 08:35 PM
interesting now that the Pats have paid Welker. They also have pressing needs in a lot of places besides WR, so i'm doubting that they'll pursue Wallace and his big price tag. The only interest there has been speculation anyway. I'd say chances of Wallace going to the Pats is in the 1-5% area. Possible, but not likely.

tony hipchest
03-05-2012, 10:41 PM
i'd say the odds of pats going after wallace are 50-50. while they have alot of pressing needs in plenty of areas, they have one of the premiere qb's in the league and their wr corps sucks and their running game is barely servicable.

even if they dont land him, they can jack up the price for the steelers, and move on to brandon lloyd.

TRH
03-06-2012, 07:57 AM
funny thing is...on ESPN this morning they listed the top players available who are unrestricted or who are or could be free agents and they DIDN"T EVEN LIST Wallace among the top wide receivers. Man, that channel will do anything possible to avoid either talking about the Steelers or to put their talent among the league elite.

micraydim
03-06-2012, 08:01 AM

so .. .they just wave goodbye to him?