PDA

View Full Version : James Michael Johnson, LB Nevada

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2012, 12:03 PM
This is a guy that I think could be a good Steeler if we havent picked an ILB by the 3rd round. 6'1"- 249lbs at the Senior Bowl and played well that week.

James-Michael Johnson, Nevada: Johnson turned in a complete workout today and was effective on all fronts. He started with 40 times in the mid 4.6-second range. His marks of 37 inches in the vertical jump and 10-feet, 4-inches in the broad jump were also impressive. During drills Johnson looked every bit as athletic as his testing numbers indicate and moved swiftly across the field. He appears to be a complete linebacker who can defend the run or pass in the NFL.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/02/27/combine-linebackers/index.html#ixzz1oXtggdT9

bac151rum
03-08-2012, 01:24 PM
He looks good, but seems a little small for the third round. Walter has him late 5th. Tank Carder also has seen his stock rising, probably won't make it to our 4th round pick. Was really high on Audie Cole, but he really had and unimpressive combine. Theres always Burflict in the 6th.........

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2012, 04:41 PM
He looks good, but seems a little small for the third round. Walter has him late 5th. Tank Carder also has seen his stock rising, probably won't make it to our 4th round pick. Was really high on Audie Cole, but he really had and unimpressive combine. Theres always Burflict in the 6th.........

I dont understand what you mean small? He was I think 249lbs at Mobile and 241 at the Combine if I remember correctly. I think end of the 3rd will be good value for Johnson. Not likely to be there in the 4th I think.

LB James-Michael Johnson of Nevada has shown a lot of athleticism on the field today. He easily moves about the field, showing the ability to quickly get outside the box or get depth on pass drops. He's not made many plays on the ball, but is omnipresent moving around the field.
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/01/24/senior.bowl.practice.tuesday/index.html#ixzz1oZ1dozp6

Bayz101
03-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Well, he's 6'1 1/2 242 pounds. Average NFL linebacker is 6'2 247, so he's by no means small. I guess when comparing him to the mammoth linebackers the Steelers have been blessed with (Woodley, 6'2 265 pounds), people look at a 240 pound LB as a bit on the small side.

As far as i'm concerned, he's the perfect height and weight for a line backer.

MasterOfPuppets
03-08-2012, 06:53 PM
what the hell happened to "backups are starters in waiting " ? why is sylvester ( a starter in waiting ) not even being mentioned as a potential replacement for farrior ?
i don't see the point in having players occupy a roster spot for YEARS if you don't feel they're starter quality. i would think by the end of two years, as a coach you should have a firm grip on a players potential. they either got talent or don't. so why do these bums such as hills , and chucky okobe manage to occupy a roster spot and collect a check for 3..4...5...years only to find out when their number is up, they are not good enough to start ?

tburhans
03-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Sylvester is a great special teams player which is why he has a roster spot. As far as being ready to be a starter i am not sure. He has been serviceable when he has been forced to play but he is by no means a stud middle backer. But quality special teams players are a necessity. We will see if he steps up this year to take on a bigger role

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-08-2012, 10:36 PM
what the hell happened to "backups are starters in waiting " ? why is sylvester ( a starter in waiting ) not even being mentioned as a potential replacement for farrior ?
i don't see the point in having players occupy a roster spot for YEARS if you don't feel they're starter quality. i would think by the end of two years, as a coach you should have a firm grip on a players potential. they either got talent or don't. so why do these bums such as hills , and chucky okobe manage to occupy a roster spot and collect a check for 3..4...5...years only to find out when their number is up, they are not good enough to start ?

Honestly, I always thought that Sylvester played high and had the build of an OLB for us more than an ILB. He's the next Keyaron Fox in waiting and that's about it.

As for OLB, I am really interested in how Chris Carter progresses this year. I think he may surpass Worilds and again show us that we reached for another OLB instead of taking Pat Angerer, Sean Lee or Brandon Spikes as an ILB.

Heck, I remember several of us were big on Jared Veldheer that year too.