PDA

View Full Version : Don't Be Too Concerned If We Don't Sign Wallace

3rdandlong
03-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Mike Wallace may not sign with the Steelers. I don't think we will necessarily be worse offensively if we don't sign him.

I was lookin at his receiving stats today. He only had two touchdowns in the red zone. Most of his touchdowns were of the 40+ yard variety. When we got in the red zone his speed was not much of a factor. It was our inability to score touchdowns consistently in the red zone that made the offense less than it should have been.

If we lose Wallace, we'll get a first round pick. We could use that to draft an offensive lineman. Running the ball better in the red zone is something the Steelers need to improve on. Perhaps we can address that in e draft with the Wallace pick. If not the offensive line, we can still replenish the defense. So either way I look at it I dont think it would be as bad to lose Wallace as some think.

NoFieldFive
03-09-2012, 06:26 PM
play calling sucked - red zone especially. that's where you use Miller or short pass out out of the backfield. I don't put the lack of TD's on Wallace or any receiver....play calling sucked

and when we did run in the red zone - 3 of the same plays right up the middle for a gain of zero. if we had 5 downs to get the TD we would have run it 5 straight times.

did I mention play calling sucked?

6RingsAndCounting
03-09-2012, 07:04 PM
But who knows if we get to the redzone without Wallace though? I mean, Arians wouldn't have had anyone to gain all those yards with bubble screens and streaks without him.

AgentGold007
03-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Ask Antonio Brown, who benefits alot from the double-teams Mike Wallace draws, how much he'll be concerned if we don't sign Wallace. Brown is an excellent #2 receiver, but only time will tell if he can shoulder the load without Wallace.

finesward
03-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Ask Antonio Brown, who benefits alot from the double-teams Mike Wallace draws, how much he'll be concerned if we don't sign Wallace. Brown is an excellent #2 receiver, but only time will tell if he can shoulder the load without Wallace.

:blah:

We've heard this before, and I don't think there is really much validity to this at all. Look at the top receivers in the league, and then look at the #2's on those teams. Find one that has better stats or who you would think would make a better #1 receiver on this team. I'm taking Brown 10/10 times. If we won SB's with Hines and Holmes being #1's then there is no reason to think we can't with Brown. I think Brown will be as good as Holmes was as our #1. He makes all the tough catches, can make plays after the catch which safeties have to respect, and runs crisp clean routes. And if Brown starts trailing off like Wallace did then Sanders, Cotch, or whoever steps up.

Having a shot to legitimately shore up our O-line or revamp the defense at this point is a no-brainer. Ben will only have so many more years of being able to scramble around.

Curtain_of_Steel
03-09-2012, 08:41 PM
And it continues. Brown is great, wallace sucks, lol We dont need Wallace he did nothing 2nd half, blah blah blah.

Sanders won't finish the season, mark my words. WARD is not the answer, Crotchery is not a Wallace replacement. They will not sign a top flight WR if Wallace leaves.

3rdandlong
03-09-2012, 08:52 PM
And it continues. Brown is great, wallace sucks, lol We dont need Wallace he did nothing 2nd half, blah blah blah.

Sanders won't finish the season, mark my words. WARD is not the answer, Crotchery is not a Wallace replacement. They will not sign a top flight WR if Wallace leaves.

Who said Wallace sucks? I'm just saying I don't think the scoring will necessarily suffer if we can upgrade some other areas

Curtain_of_Steel
03-09-2012, 09:03 PM
They will not upgrade the run game. They have eluded to the fact they will mostlikely go with what they have. they will not sign an impact Olineman. Therefore the run game won't be much better or it will be managable. The steelers are not a run first team. they are a pass first team. The league evolved to a pass first league. They will not buck the trend and run and run some more.

So where do you want to upgrade? The kicker?lol

The DB's played 20 plus yards back against Wallace and his deep routes in the 2nd half, picking up on the line than double teaming him late.
Why is it that people refuse to listen when the announcers pointed this out several times during the games.

Run game is marginal at best, and with the guys we have, although I like Redman, is unproven. Dwyer, unproven. Batch what did he do last year aside from tripping trying to race Sanders to the food line and they both got hurt, lol. Again, unproven. Same Oline, if not potentially weaker as Colon will be in a diff position and Gilbert a different position.

pittpete
03-09-2012, 10:03 PM
4 POSTSEASON GAMES EACH
Wallace
16 rec----141 yards----8.8 avg----1 TD

A.Brown
10rec----160 yards-----16 avg-----0 TD

Brown wasnt even a starter in 2010........
Just saying:hatsoff:

AgentGold007
03-09-2012, 10:17 PM
:blah:

We've heard this before, and I don't think there is really much validity to this at all. Look at the top receivers in the league, and then look at the #2's on those teams. Find one that has better stats or who you would think would make a better #1 receiver on this team. I'm taking Brown 10/10 times. If we won SB's with Hines and Holmes being #1's then there is no reason to think we can't with Brown. I think Brown will be as good as Holmes was as our #1. He makes all the tough catches, can make plays after the catch which safeties have to respect, and runs crisp clean routes. And if Brown starts trailing off like Wallace did then Sanders, Cotch, or whoever steps up.

Having a shot to legitimately shore up our O-line or revamp the defense at this point is a no-brainer. Ben will only have so many more years of being able to scramble around.

I'm not disputing Brown's abilities to be a #1 at all. Like I said, time will tell. I'm just saying that his life is alot easier when he has a guy like Wallace drawing Revis, Ashomugha, Woodson, or Bailey as opposed to less physical nickelbacks. And as far as the top #1 receivers and their #2's goes, I'm pretty sure the dropoff in talent is a lot more significant in those situations, than it is between Wallace and Brown.

Sean95m
03-09-2012, 11:36 PM
If someone sign Wallace then we trade one of our 1st round picks and maybe a 2nd to move up and get a stud nose tackle that everyone says wont drop to us. Then use the other 1st rounder for o-line. If Ben has protection Stallworth could come out of retirement. WR's are a dime a dozen these days. Good nose tackles and O linemen aren't.
I remember when everyone freaked out when we traded that douchebag from Ohio State to the Jets, it turned out pretty well.

xbroughneck
03-09-2012, 11:58 PM

If Wallace leaves, you know this how??

Consider me one of those that LOVES Mike's ability to stretch the field, but wouldn't mind the Steelers bringing in a free agent and a 6'3" rookie from the 3rd round to replace him.

Brown, Cotchery, Free Agent, Rookie, Sanders.... with Big Ben throwing them the ball. I'm good with that.

kan_t
03-10-2012, 03:55 AM
1) The Steelers offense will be weaken if Wallace leaves. I don't know how people can say otherwise with a straight face.

2) I'm not concerned if he did leave. The extra first round pick will give the Steelers flexibility in the draft.

3) I still think he stays.

finesward
03-10-2012, 06:17 AM
They will not upgrade the run game. They have eluded to the fact they will mostlikely go with what they have. they will not sign an impact Olineman. Therefore the run game won't be much better or it will be managable. The steelers are not a run first team. they are a pass first team. The league evolved to a pass first league. They will not buck the trend and run and run some more.

So where do you want to upgrade? The kicker?lol

The DB's played 20 plus yards back against Wallace and his deep routes in the 2nd half, picking up on the line than double teaming him late.
Why is it that people refuse to listen when the announcers pointed this out several times during the games.

Run game is marginal at best, and with the guys we have, although I like Redman, is unproven. Dwyer, unproven. Batch what did he do last year aside from tripping trying to race Sanders to the food line and they both got hurt, lol. Again, unproven. Same Oline, if not potentially weaker as Colon will be in a diff position and Gilbert a different position.

lol, nice logic there. since they won't sign an impact free agent OL they automatically wouldn't address it in the draft...womp wompppp

Chances are they will improve dramatically at both lines if they have an extra 1st rounder. Guards are deep this year, and if we were able to snatch Poe and a guard better than foster both lines will be set with young talent for years.

You are right that they will not address the RB situation, and I for one am perfectly fine with that. By addressing the O-line they are addressing the run game. We don't need to pound the rock 35 times a game like we have a rookie QB in there, we just need to be able to run it effectively.

As for being unproven, redman proved he is a capable NFL RB by being the starting tailback going into the 2012 season. You don't just get handed a gig like that if your coaches don't believe you can do it. All he did last year when he was starting was rip off runs and pound the ball effectively. That's all we need from him next year.

As for playing off Wallace, that is one way to shut him down...the other being physical with him after the catch. He was rattled last year at times, and didn't show the toughness you want from your #1 receiver. Why pay a receiver all this money when teams have blueprinted the way to shut him down? Sorry, not saying he sucks, but saying that his game is one-dimensional to the point he is not worth paying #1 receiver money.

If you don't think Brown is a better overall receiver then

pWdd6_ZxX8c

harts
03-10-2012, 08:29 AM
need wallace
who we gonna get to replace him?
Reggie Wayne = (no speed)
Randy Moss = (I play when I want to)
No rookie is gonna replace him

Wallace Stretches the field
Steelers have been known to only pay a player "so much"
But with the salary cap in place who cares what they pay him - everyone spends the same amount of money (just about)

Wallace is vital especially with the emphasis on this running game (he will demand double teams)

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-10-2012, 08:46 AM
need wallace
who we gonna get to replace him?
Reggie Wayne = (no speed)
Randy Moss = (I play when I want to)
No rookie is gonna replace him

Wallace Stretches the field
Steelers have been known to only pay a player "so much"
But with the salary cap in place who cares what they pay him - everyone spends the same amount of money (just about)

Wallace is vital especially with the emphasis on this running game (he will demand double teams)

Only thing about Wallace that scares me is that if tears an ACL then he COULD lose his blazing speed and then it would be a waste of money and maybe a 1st round pick (Hope to God that never happens tho)....but maybe he can learn to be a better all around receiver :noidea:

DanRooney
03-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Mike Wallace may not sign with the Steelers. I don't think we will necessarily be worse offensively if we don't sign him.

I was lookin at his receiving stats today. He only had two touchdowns in the red zone. Most of his touchdowns were of the 40+ yard variety.

Brown only had 2 touchdowns period. Same with Heath Miller, Sanders, Ward and Cotchery.

Wallace had the same amount of TDs that all of our other receivers had combined. Pretty embarrassing.

Bayz101
03-10-2012, 10:15 AM
This Thread Title Capitalizes Every Word LOL

6RingsAndCounting
03-10-2012, 10:29 AM
This Thread Title Capitalizes Every Word LOL

That's what I thought :sofunny:

harts
03-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Only thing about Wallace that scares me is that if tears an ACL then he COULD lose his blazing speed and then it would be a waste of money and maybe a 1st round pick (Hope to God that never happens tho)....but maybe he can learn to be a better all around receiver :noidea:

he still up and coming - so he can improve
I dont get the feeling he will ever be a Hines Ward type of receiver
He just doesnt look that rugged enough

Out an Ups
Deep Ins
Fly Patterns
Thats what we need him for
The over the middle and 5 yard slants save it for someone else

Yes he can tear an ACL as anyone but right now he is the best option

pete74
03-10-2012, 11:09 AM
I cant for the life of me understand why so many steeler fans want to get rid of Wallace. He is a special WR that defenses must plan and adjust to. What if Brown was a one year wonder? What if Brown cant produce when going against the opponents top CB and double teams? What are you going to say if our offense struggles without Wallace? Opponents wont need to keep a saftey deep and can start bringing him up to the line.
We will see at the end of this season what all you Wallace haters say because i gurentee you i will be bumping this thread and the other Wallace bashing threads

nicklazaro
03-10-2012, 11:48 AM
washington now has 2 1st round picks and they would like to have a deep threat hmmmmm

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
03-10-2012, 12:00 PM
washington now has 2 1st round picks and they would like to have a deep threat hmmmmm

no they dont....

finesward
03-10-2012, 03:48 PM
I cant for the life of me understand why so many steeler fans want to get rid of Wallace. He is a special WR that defenses must plan and adjust to. What if Brown was a one year wonder? What if Brown cant produce when going against the opponents top CB and double teams? What are you going to say if our offense struggles without Wallace? Opponents wont need to keep a saftey deep and can start bringing him up to the line.
We will see at the end of this season what all you Wallace haters say because i gurentee you i will be bumping this thread and the other Wallace bashing threads

Really pete? Cause I thought I went into pretty good detail in my post as to why the team wouldn't fall apart without him. Getting 2 1st round talents for the price of a 3rd rounder on a team looking to get younger is a good business move.

Forget for a second that teams have now figured out how to shut him down, say we keep him and then in return don't have the money to spend on heath or brown next year. What good is it if we lose the supporting cast to keep the star?

If our offense struggles next year it will be real easy to find someone to blame. And that man is Haley. lol This is pittsburgh bro, we don't blame players we blame the coaches, ESPECIALLY on offense. :tt02:

We heard this before when Holmes was let go, what will we do...what if wallace can't step up, yada yada yada.... I honestly think losing wallace will be addition via subtraction in the long term. We need balance in this offense, not star WRs and 40 yard bombs (which our QB sucks at throwing!)

kan_t
03-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Really pete? Cause I thought I went into pretty good detail in my post as to why the team wouldn't fall apart without him. Getting 2 1st round talents for the price of a 3rd rounder on a team looking to get younger is a good business move.

Forget for a second that teams have now figured out how to shut him down, say we keep him and then in return don't have the money to spend on heath or brown next year. What good is it if we lose the supporting cast to keep the star?

If our offense struggles next year it will be real easy to find someone to blame. And that man is Haley. lol This is pittsburgh bro, we don't blame players we blame the coaches, ESPECIALLY on offense. :tt02:

We heard this before when Holmes was let go, what will we do...what if wallace can't step up, yada yada yada.... I honestly think losing wallace will be addition via subtraction in the long term. We need balance in this offense, not star WRs and 40 yard bombs (which our QB sucks at throwing!)
1) Letting Wallace go will give you one first round pick, not two.

2) Wallace was picked at third round, it doesn't mean that he's not a first round talent. He has shown that he is. I bet all teams who need a WR are willing to pick him in the first round if they know how well he turns out to be.

3) Our QB certainly doesn't suck at throwing those 40-yard bombs when he plays with two legs instead of one like last year second half of the season.

4) The extra first round pick is valuable. It doesn't mean that Wallace is easily replacable.

5) I'm sure the Steelers draw the line for how much they should spend on Wallace. So no worries about signing Brown if they do sign Wallace.

6) That's being said, I'm not concerned if we don't sign Wallace.

tony hipchest
03-11-2012, 12:08 AM
doesnt wallace have more 40+ yd receptions than anyone in the league (even veterans such as a johnson, r. wayne, and l. fitz)?

:hunch:

MasterOfPuppets
03-11-2012, 12:47 AM
doesnt wallace have more 40+ yd receptions than anyone in the league (even veterans such as a johnson, r. wayne, and l. fitz)?

:hunch:
nope.....
c johnson - 10
v cruiz - 9
fitz - 8
green - 7
jones - 7
nelson - 7
wallace - 7

maybe as a career average...:noidea:
fitz and cj both have 25 , wayne 30, s smith 41 ,to wallaces 23 , but of course they've played longer.

Rick5895
03-11-2012, 06:03 AM

For me it's not a question of wanting to get rid of him, it's a question of affordability. Wallace is a very good receiver, I hope he stays here and hope he see's from others who left and came back (Foote, El) that big money elsewhere doesn't necessarily mean better working conditions. But we simply can not afford to pay him a big contract. If he were to settle for 5 or 6 Million per year then hopefully we can keep him, but i doubt that will be the case. Somebody I fear will front load a contract to keep him out of our grasp. He wil also want what he thinks is his fair salary, with the Bills signing the idiot Steve johnson to about 7 mil/season and bowe being franchised, Walace is going to want that kind of money. For the Steelers that would handcuff them longterm. IMO the sound decision would be to let Wallace go if that were the case, get the extra 1st round pick and sign Cotchery, Heath, Brown and others, maybe pick up a OL in free agency.
I trust in the way the F.O does business, it's worked pretty god for the Steelers and us fans over the years, we always seem to be in the mix for a championship. Whatever they decide to do will likely be the best for the team LONGTERM!!

TheManOfSteel
03-11-2012, 07:44 AM
I love all our young WR in Pitt! Yet to ME, it's CLEAR who are best WR is! If we lose Wallace will be fine after being compensated with a 1st rounder! No matter what area we draft with that pick! I was on the Wallace wagon from his first year! How could ya not be? Yet that being said i would rather have Brown (stand up guy on and off the field and amazing hard worker in practice, best on our team IMO) for years to come then Wallace! Just my opinion! So dont go off!

p.s. I think will have Wallace tho come week 1! ;)

TheManOfSteel
03-11-2012, 07:46 AM
IMO the sound decision would be to let Wallace go if that were the case, get the extra 1st round pick and sign Cotchery, Heath, Brown and others, maybe pick up a OL in free agency.
I trust in the way the F.O does business, it's worked pretty god for the Steelers and us fans over the years, we always seem to be in the mix for a championship. Whatever they decide to do will likely be the best for the team LONGTERM!!

Could not of said it better! 100% agree!

harts
03-11-2012, 01:48 PM
without Wallace
Ben is gonna have to be more like Tom Brady.
We wont have Mendy week one

essentially we would be equal offensive wise to the 05 Super Bowl Team
except this time we have an expierienced Ben and a subpar running game (That year we had a good running game and a 2nd year Ben)

Haley is here for a reason
so the offense is gonna change
but again Ben is Ben and will always be Ben
He is not Tom Brady
He's a Big Michael Vick who extends plays and make plays on his own

Wallace is essential to giving Ben some space
remember what happened to the Pats once Moss was gone?
They became Dink and Dunk

Antonio Brown is good but he is no Wes Welker yet.

Without Wallace or Mendy their wont be much of a running game or a deep threat passing game

team will just stack the box and tee off
7-9 anyone?

LayingTheWoodley56
03-11-2012, 02:07 PM
While I understand it may not happen due to our cap issues, I think bringing Mike Wallace back (and to a lesser extent, Cotchery) should be among our highest off-season priorities. I say this for one simple reason: this is becoming a pass-happy league, plain and simple, and thus wideouts are increasing in value. If we can bring both of our FA wideouts back, we have a very good 1-4 corps with AB, Wallace, Cotch and Sanders. If we lose one or both of them, we are significantly depleted at the position and Ben's play will suffer accordingly.

finesward
03-12-2012, 08:41 PM
1) Letting Wallace go will give you one first round pick, not two.

2) Wallace was picked at third round, it doesn't mean that he's not a first round talent. He has shown that he is. I bet all teams who need a WR are willing to pick him in the first round if they know how well he turns out to be.

3) Our QB certainly doesn't suck at throwing those 40-yard bombs when he plays with two legs instead of one like last year second half of the season.

4) The extra first round pick is valuable. It doesn't mean that Wallace is easily replacable.

5) I'm sure the Steelers draw the line for how much they should spend on Wallace. So no worries about signing Brown if they do sign Wallace.

6) That's being said, I'm not concerned if we don't sign Wallace.

1) Sorry, letting wallace go would give us an additional 1st rounder, hence the 2 picks in rd 1. I misspoke

2) I disagree, I honestly don't think he is first round talent. Those receivers are usually the ones who have the physical tools to be dominant. Wallace is a burner who has developed into a capable route runner. It was his biggest knock coming out of college, but he still lacks the size and strength you want from a big time #1 WR. Obviously draft order is meaningless unless they are used to their strengths, which I personally don't think Ben is very good at throwing the long ball. I know he has connected plenty of times, but only because wallace has adjusted or come back for the ball. The only clean long pass play that comes to mind between the two was against arizona, that 95 yard bomb. That was pretty.

3) See #2. He is very hit or miss, healthy or not. Other teams have little to no deep threats and have no problem scoring.

4.) For what speed he brings, of course not. But we could easily bring in another athletic TE and adjust to a different style of attacking and get the job done. As they say there is more than one way to skin a cat.

5.) If they value Wallace over Brown I can't really blame them. I just really like the attitude of Brown and the kind of player he is. Hate to see him leave is all.

6.) Me neither. I'd be stoked to get an extra 1st rounder, especially if it's up near the middle of the round.

Bayz101
03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
If you don't think Brown is a better overall receiver then

pWdd6_ZxX8c

:applaudit: