PDA

View Full Version : We need to sign a running back

LayingTheWoodley56
03-10-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm not going to pretend to be knowledgeable on the intricacies of the salary cap or how much a particular back is going to go for and what our price range is, etc. All I know is this: Mendenhall is a question mark in any sense of the word. I was very impressed with Redman last season; the dude just seems to have a knack for bulldozing forward and picking up the extra yards. I hear good things about Baron Batch, Dwyer showed some potential with that 75-yard jaunt against Tennessee, and Clay could have potential. I haven't heard anything on Mewelde, who I've always liked and who has done a good job here these past few seasons - is there any chance we resign him?

What if Mendenhall can't play for most of the season, and then Redman goes down? Then we're left with a whole bunch of unproven back there. If our running back corps gets banged up we could be a serious bind. So, my suggestion is that we look elsewhere for another back. I would even go so far as to say that it wouldn't be crazy to cut Mendy loose and sign Brandon Jacobs or Tolbert. I don't think Mendenhall is our long-term answer, so why pretend that he is?

There are a bevy of solid, veteran RBs available: LT, Justin Forsett, Kevin Smith, Tashard Choice - full list here http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/fa/rb.html. Again, I'm not sure if any of this could even happen feasibly with our cap issues. All I'm saying is, we could be setting ourselves up to be awfully thin at a pretty vital position.

wyn50
03-11-2012, 03:42 AM
I bet you will see a lot of movement soon.....probably near or on draft day.

buzzkill
03-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Tolbert would be an excellent choice. He is built like a bowling ball, has quick feet, a nose for the end zone and is a unselfish team player. The price tag might not be to high either. Mike T. Is a very under-valued player who seems to go under the radar. He is also fairly young compared to Jacobs , who is known to be selfish and dances way to much for being the man-child he is.

ShutDown24
03-11-2012, 08:53 AM
Posted by Tyler Dunn, March 10 2012, 10:43 am EST

The Colts have released Joseph Addai.

The Steelers should look into his price tag. And if it’s a bargain, they should purchase.

The first time Addai carried the ball was in the “Manning Bowl” of 2006. Indianapolis had just drafted him out of LSU. Taking the hand-off from Peyton Manning on a stretch play going left, he gained 8 yards and smacked Gibril Wilson on his way out of bounds.

Read more...

http://pittsburghfootballreport.com/2012/03/10/steelers-should-look-at-joe-addai-23-2/

ShutDown24
03-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Tolbert would be an excellent choice. He is built like a bowling ball, has quick feet, a nose for the end zone and is a unselfish team player. The price tag might not be to high either. Mike T. Is a very under-valued player who seems to go under the radar. He is also fairly young compared to Jacobs , who is known to be selfish and dances way to much for being the man-child he is.

Tolbert would be a great fit in Pittsburgh.

buzzkill
03-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Tim Hightower is also a good value from the list of free agents.

Steel Boss
03-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Running back is easily the most replaceable position in football. I'd be perfectly comfortable going with some combo of Redman, Dwyer, Clay and Batch as the 3rd down/speed back. If they don't work out, you can always pick up a street free agent. I wouldn't remotely prioritize adding another running back in the draft or free agency.

Kingmagyar
03-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Terrible cap space precludes the Steelers from signing anyone right now but as they often do if a back is unsigned by training camp time the Steelers will try to get them on the cheap.

I'm beginning to think a RB is not out of the question in the draft but I do believe because of our stock pile of big backs (Batch ran a 40 time range: 4.50-4.54 by the way) they will be looking for pure speed.

LaMichael James, RB, Oregon 4.37 (probably high 3rd round though)
Ronnie Hillman, RB, San Diego State 4.41

or more like a

Isaiah Pead, RB, Cincinnati 4.41 (who the steelers went to see and talk to) or
Chris Rainey, WR/RB/KR/PR, Florida 4.37

One thing is for sure they can find another back in the draft easily enough A pure speed guy would give us the Thunder (Redman) and Lightning (Pead/Rainey) to really get the most out of the backfield.

Also Dwyer has to step up and understand the position he is in to be a #2 and seize the opportunity.

Steelerfreak58
03-11-2012, 12:17 PM
What is wrong with Redman, Dwyer and Clay? I think RB is one of the least of our worries.

LayingTheWoodley56
03-11-2012, 01:08 PM
What is wrong with Redman, Dwyer and Clay? I think RB is one of the least of our worries.

Nothing is necessarily wrong with them, but their are a number of factors that could work against us down the road. Their all young and unproven (though Redman has looked excellent IMO when he's gotten his chances); Dwyer and Clay barely saw the field last season, and Clay was a Week 15 pickup. If one or more of these guys suffers injuries we could be in big trouble.

Addai and Hightower are two solid options, as mentioned above. All I'm saying is, it wouldn't hurt to bring a cheap veteran back in here at the very least as an insurance policy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Running back is easily the most replaceable position in football. I'd be perfectly comfortable going with some combo of Redman, Dwyer, Clay and Batch as the 3rd down/speed back. If they don't work out, you can always pick up a street free agent. I wouldn't remotely prioritize adding another running back in the draft or free agency.

Yes, I agree. If you have a decent O line, then a RB isnt that difficult of a spot to fill. Its almost as easy as finding a decent WR if you have a good QB.

We dont need to sign a running back.

Ricco Suavez
03-11-2012, 05:53 PM
I think our most pressing needs right now are ILB, OG, NT, WR, (this will be higher IF Wallace leaves and/or we do not sign Cotchery) Safety/CB and then RB and Kicker. Just one man's opinion.

pittpete
03-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Battle from KC could be a nice change of pace guy and is familiar with Haley

tony hipchest
03-12-2012, 12:24 AM
if anything we need a fullback.

LayingTheWoodley56
03-12-2012, 01:05 AM
bring back kreider?

tony hipchest
03-12-2012, 02:14 AM
bring back kreider?even he wouldnt fit under our current cap situation. the only new back you are likely to see is if one is drafted (whether it be FB or RB).

as it is, it looks like we might be drafting for an immediate replacement that allows us to cut hampton.

ricardisimo
03-12-2012, 02:18 AM
Or maybe we could convince Hampton to play running back?

wyn50
03-12-2012, 03:30 AM
Yep, bring someone in for insurance. Rbs go down quickly. Look at last year, steelers lost 3.

Kingmagyar
03-12-2012, 11:26 AM
I say look for speed if we draft a back.

The current guys 40 times
Reman 4.76
Clay 4.77
Dwyer 4.69
Batch 4.50 coming off a knee injury he will lose speed.
Chad Spann 4.52

and Mendenhall? how about 4.41

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-12-2012, 02:03 PM
if anything we need a fullback.

Bradie Ewing from Wisconsin. 7th round maybe.

I say look for speed if we draft a back.

The current guys 40 times
Reman 4.76
Clay 4.77
Dwyer 4.69
Batch 4.50 coming off a knee injury he will lose speed.
Chad Spann 4.52

and Mendenhall? how about 4.41

And yet Dwyer had a 70 yard TD run last year. Still dont think we need a RB, as there will be tons of vets in Free Agency if wanted.

steeltheone
03-12-2012, 02:07 PM
And yet Dwyer had a 70 yard TD run last year. Still dont think we need a RB, as there will be tons of vets in Free Agency if wanted.

A big run is a big run ,but The hole dwyer had was one of the biggest i've seen in awhile.....Great job to the line.

Bayz101
03-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Figured i'd just add this here, rather than create another thread on the subject:

Mike Tolbert told Schein and Gannon on Sirius NFL Radio this morning that teams on his free-agent radar included the Steelers and Buccaneers.

http://burgh.us/dcp

Kingmagyar
03-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Yeah Dwyer's run had the biggest hole I've seen in years. The Bus would have rolled for that TD. Speed on outside runs is when you need it most. We may be limited to certain play calls without that speed.

wootawnee
03-13-2012, 11:34 AM
I live on the west coast and I watch MICHAEL BUSH every week.......

He plays STEELER FOOTBALL...........

tony hipchest
03-13-2012, 02:24 PM
texans just released FB l. vickers. lets get him to open holes for whoever we put back there. kind of a shame we cant afford a guy like tolbert. maybe he turns out a steal like michael turner or sproles was.

Cpitt78
03-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Willie Parker?

Cpitt78
03-13-2012, 04:02 PM
I live on the west coast and I watch MICHAEL BUSH every week.......

He plays STEELER FOOTBALL...........

Michael Bush would be awesome but I don't think we can afford him.

DevinX43
03-13-2012, 07:26 PM
I just read that the Steelers were expected to meet with Peyton Hillis today around 4. Don't know how reliable the source is. http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/03/13/report-peyton-hillis-to-meet-with-steelers/